Apple invites press to 'talk iPhone' at media event on Oct. 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations to members of the press for an event on its Cupertino, Calif. campus next Tuesday, Oct. 4, with the tagline "Let's talk iPhone."

As was previously rumored, the presentation will be led by Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, who will introduce the company's next-generation iPhone. The event is scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

The invitation is made up of icons from Apple iOS operating system that powers the iPhone. It includes a Calendar icon with the date of Tuesday, Oct. 4, a Clock displaying the time as 10:00, the Maps icon pinpointed on the company's Cupertino headquarters, and a Phone displaying one missed call. "Let's talk iPhone," it reads.

AppleInsider first reported last week that Apple began blacking out vacation days for employees at some of its retail stores for the second week of October. It is expected that the next iPhone will launch soon after next week's event, potentially on Oct. 14.

Rumors leading up to this year's event have been varied, with some debate as to whether Apple will release a completely redesigned "iPhone 5," an "iPhone 4S" with an appearance similar to the current-generation iPhone 4, or both. Some have suggested the redesigned iPhone 4 could be a new entry-level model geared toward emerging markets that could be sold without a service contract.

The New York Times claimed earlier this month that Apple's next iPhone will sport a "fairly different" appearance. That's supported by a number of third-party cases that have appeared in recent months, showing a handset with curved sides and a flat back, similar to the design of the iPad 2.

But while cases and rumors have pointed toward a redesigned device, leaked parts have shown a handset that looks nearly identical to the iPhone 4 with some minor revisions. Some have speculated those parts to represent the so-called "4S" model, but no components from the rumored redesigned "iPhone 5" have been seen.

Two points that rumors have been consistent on are the camera and processor expected to be found in Apple's next iPhone. Numerous reports have indicated the handset will sport an 8-megapixel camera for higher resolution photos, while the device is widely expected to run the same A5 processor found in the iPad 2.

For more, see AppleInsider's extensive coverage of the iPhone 5, as well as the Inside iOS 5 and Inside iCloud series, some of which are included below:

Apple blacking out vacation days during second week of October

More next-gen iPhone parts surface as '4S' case packaging appears

Plethora of purported Apple 'iPhone 4S' parts surface

Case makers bet on iPhone 5 with 'completely different form factor'

Purported iPhone 5 part suggests Apple won't change home button

AppleCare preparations hint at iOS 5.0 release around Oct. 10

Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Apple starts work on iPhone 5 ad spots, won't finish until October - sources

Comments

• Reply 1 of 188
    About damn time. Fingers crossed that the new iPhone is everything it should be, and not just a 4s minor spec bump.
  • Reply 2 of 188
    Hmmmmmmmmm the keyword "talk" lends to thoughts of some kind of focus on voice? LTE-prepared iPhone?

I know I'm really scraping the barell here. It would be nice if all Apple stores did become LTE towers somehow. Too bad there were no remodelings for higher (much higher) ceilings! Lol
  • Reply 3 of 188
    my work day just got a little better.. time to drop this pos droid phone.
  • Reply 4 of 188
    Yes, the end of these incessant iPhone rumors is FINALLY in sight!
  • Reply 5 of 188
    Or "talk" could be targeting Nuance's voice technology. Just wanted to throw that in there
  • Reply 6 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... and a Phone displaying one missed call. ...

Couldn't this be a voice mail instead of a missed call? It would make more sense.
  • Reply 7 of 188
    Hell yeah I'm ordering 10 of everything they announce, definitely!!!! I'm so excited for this moment to arrive, this will be the happiest day of my life.
  • Reply 8 of 188
    The whole talk thing is clearly the updated voice control "assistant" thing that was talked about recently, voice recognition for text input and such not just changing songs and voice dialling.
  • Reply 9 of 188
    I look forward to all the wild theories about the teaser image.
  • Reply 10 of 188
  • Reply 11 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

About damn time. Fingers crossed that the new iPhone is everything it should be, and not just a 4s minor spec bump.

Even if the phone announced is the "spec bump" version rumoured, it's hardly "minor." Twice the processor, nine times the graphics, four times the memory, greatly improved camera, etc. etc. and that's just the minimum hardware bump. Add iOS 5.0 in there and it will be a certain winner.
  • Reply 12 of 188
    I hope it's not all iPhone and we get some new iPods to.
  • Reply 13 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Not really, just weeks after the 5 is release, rumors of the 6 will start up. We are nothing unless we have a cool pocket device in our future.
  • Reply 14 of 188
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Hell yeah I'm ordering 10 of everything they announce, definitely!!!! I'm so excited for this moment to arrive, this will be the happiest day of my life.

Really?\
  • Reply 15 of 188
    Finally we can stop with the back-and-forth about when the announcement will be! All that's left is how many phones, any design changes, anything additional in iOS5, will iCloud be worth the wait, when will the phones be released, will they have 4G, will Sprint and/or TMO get the new phone, will Steve show up as a surprise, will they talk about the iPod line/kill the Classic, will the phone(s) have NFC, will it be white from the beginning , will it be hard body or glass back, and will it be able to allow you to teleport to an Apple Store at a moment's notice. Did I miss anything

One week and all rumors can finally be put to bed.
  • Reply 16 of 188
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Boom.
  • Reply 17 of 188
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    I had figured most of you were already aware of the upcoming integrated voice-search using Siri's tech. It's being billed as an "assistant", supposedly a more conversational way of doing search, making appointments, scheduling meetings and the like. For instance if you set up an appointment with Joe, the assistant might ask if it's at his home or office, and offer to send a confirmation email. Perhaps you're planning dinner date. Besides adding it to your calendar, the Assistant might ask if you'd like to do a search for the restaurant directions, and call to make reservations.

Perhaps the most useful new feature IMHO, and unfortunately reported not compatible/unavailable for any of the current or older iPhone models. Gotta have a reason to buy a new phone , right?

As an aside, if you have concerns about sharing contact information, location, or search history as some of you have indicated, you might need to look at the permissions before using the feature.
  • Reply 18 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Even if the phone announced is the "spec bump" version rumoured, it's hardly "minor." Twice the processor, nine times the graphics, four times the memory, greatly improved camera, etc. etc. and that's just the minimum hardware bump. Add iOS 5.0 in there and it will be a certain winner.

Not if you're buying it as a fashion accessory. If it doesn't have arbitrary changes to the form factor, you're just another schlub with last year's toy.
  • Reply 19 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

You mean the beginning of the iPhone 6 rumors is finally in sight?
  • Reply 20 of 188
    Hmm, iPhone 4S or iPhone 5?

Judging from past invitations, Apple loves hidden meanings. I'm seeing a lot of "4" references here.

- The 4th of October as a double entendre.

- 4 icons.

- The sum of all visible digits, divided by the number of icons:

4+10+280+1=295.

2+9+5=16.

16/4=4

Or, If you take the map icon as meaning 1 Infinite Loop:

4+10+1+1=16

16/4=4.

Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away!