Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price

Comments

• Reply 21 of 303
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

So in other words it will compete with the ipad. Just not that well.

They may both be considered by the same buyers, so yes you could look at that way. Either device might be considered to compete "not that well" depending on what a buyer wants one for or expects of it.
  • Reply 22 of 303
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

The big seller for the kindle was reading in the sun, thinking it will loose that edge.

True , but I am replacing my dx with one of those little e-ink touches (looks like e-ink anyway). That and my iPad together will b perfect for traveling.
  • Reply 23 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quicksilverhuh View Post

and I think it will have an impact on IPAD sales

Mmm, nah.
  • Reply 24 of 303
    Well, the Kindle Fire will be the "iPad" everyone got because they couldn't or didn't want to get the iPad. At best.
  • Reply 25 of 303
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hear that it will come complete with a belt sander for paring down your fingertips to little nubs.

why would it come with that? insult removed
  • Reply 26 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quicksilverhuh View Post

and I think it will have an impact on IPAD sales

Yup, more people will buy the iPad when they realise the limitations of the Kindle Fire. Call me a fanboy but I'm not feeling this Kindle Fire. I could be wrong, and hope that there is some real tablet competition but these other tablet makers are not "getting" it. 7"... it's a gimmicky kind of size for what it hopes to achieve. A slower processor, 7" and half the iPad price tells me Amazon is still in trial mode. And that's not good enough for customers these days.

As for Amazon's e-Readers, yes they have some decent momentum but remember e-Readers are big in mostly Western countries but not Asian markets. I don't have a link but that's my gut feeling. Maybe e-Readers for traditional and simplified Chinese would be increasingly successful but not English e-Readers in Asian countries, particularly greater China. Also, has anyone looked at the age demographic for e-Readers? I think they are probably skewed towards older adults.
  • Reply 27 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, the Kindle Fire will be the "iPad" everyone got because they couldn't or didn't want to get the iPad. At best.

people should really stop being so overly defensive. the Amazon Kindle Fire exists in a different market than the Apple iPad. both products will do just fine; seriously.
  • Reply 28 of 303
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow, if you don't buy Apple, you're a loser. Niiiiiiice.
  • Reply 29 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's not meant to directly compete with the iPad.

Something to consider tho: If a customer purchases one of these, the purchase of another slate/tablet product in the near future is less likely. A lot of buyers will find it's more than good enough for their needs and wants. Apple's iPad sales will be affected even tho the Kindle Fire is not a direct competitor.

Maybe persons using the kindle will become accustomed to the form factor for this device which they wouldn't normally buy, but this price point allows them the 'luxury'.

Maybe next saturday at the mall they take a closer look at the iPad and realize they've got to have one for all the other things on it. Not the least of which are the apps.

I've grown so accustomed to the iPad in couch potato mode that I've all but quit all the other macs we have. I wouldn't want one that does any less than the iPad.

Methinks this will be free advertising for the iPad, over time. Especially when 3 comes out. Come on!
  • Reply 30 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

This could well stop me getting an ipad. I want a tablet for viewing content and lying on the sofa web browsing. For less than half the price I can get something that pretty much meets my needs from amazon.

Like others have said, it is not a direct competitor but a good interpretation of what many people want a tablet for and a huge amount cheaper. I am sure this will take away some sales from apple.

It is well positioned not to be a direct competitor. It might not take much sales away, even if it is successful. The market is more supply constrained than demand constrained.

Still, looks like Amazon has the possibility to be the second successful company in the tablet space.
  • Reply 31 of 303
    Financial Times: "Amazon has launched a head-on challenge to the dominance of Apple's iPad..."

Hardly. It's an in-between device that doesn't stack up to the iPad in many ways. They went in a slightly different direction, and I bet they'll sell a good number of them. I'd rather put the money toward an iPad 3.

They're showing Bezos on CNBC. He sounds bored by his own presentation. Very bored.
  • Reply 32 of 303
    Quote:

why would it come with that? Idiot

7 inch tablets are too small for any normal person's fingers.

While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.
  • Reply 33 of 303
    Quote:

why would it come with that?

So did the insult serve to display your personal lack of knowledge or something?

Steve Jobs said about 7" tablets that they ought to be sold with sandpaper to sand your fingers down so that the tablet becomes usable. It's too small.

For heaven's sake, you really think your lack of knowledge deserves insulting other people?
  • Reply 34 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the Kindle Fire exists in a different market than the iPad so comparing UX is silly and unnecessary.

Like the iPad won't eventually compete with Laptops and isn't already competing with Netbooks?

Despite what you say there is overlap. After getting an iPad, the misses' mother decided a Kindle would be better for her use cases. It seems, despite the iPad not having enough functionality (per pundits, etc) there is a market for a device with even less capabilities than the 'pad. For a certain price.
  • Reply 35 of 303
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's not meant to directly compete with the iPad.

Something to consider tho: If a customer purchases one of these, the purchase of another slate/tablet product in the near future is less likely. A lot of buyers will find it's more than good enough for their needs and wants. Apple's iPad sales will be affected even tho the Kindle Fire is not a direct competitor.

You're just making crap up.
  • Reply 36 of 303
    Quote:

why would it come with that? insult removed

He was referring to this: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/10/...their-fingers/

Note that almost everything Jobs said has more or less come true. Note the date of the article. Monday October 18, 2010. One year on, vindication is probably not as sweet given he has resigned from being CEO, but still, he was more or less spot on about 7" tablets being DOA. And that competitors would have trouble matching their pricing.

And other things including "RIM not catching up to Apple in the foreseeable future".
  • Reply 37 of 303
    I think this is a bold move from Amazon, and they'll carve out a good portion of the pie. $200 for the Kindle Fire is a very attractive price while their E-ink Kindles are essentially going for dirt cheap ($79 to $149).

If the "tablet" or "post-PC" market is to be the next big thing, with 1+ billion devices sold per year (which is about 2.5x the rate of PCs), there will be room for the entire industry to sell to with prices ranging from $50 to $2000.

The key for Apple is always to dominate the premium end where all the profits are. Dominating with 50% marketshare as a device maker just isn't in the cards for Apple. There are to many opponents in all of the industries from the content providers, carriers, devices makers, rivals, et al.
  • Reply 38 of 303
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

7 inch tablets are too small for any normal person's fingers.

While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So did the insult serve to display your personal lack of knowledge or something?

Steve Jobs said about 7" tablets that they ought to be sold with sandpaper to sand your fingers down so that the tablet becomes usable. It's too small.

For heaven's sake, you really think your lack of knowledge deserves insulting other people?

What a stupid comment.

How do you possibly manage to use your iPhones with a poxy little 3.5inch display! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot with a stupid comment.
  • Reply 39 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Dominating with 50% marketshare as a device market just isn't in the cards for Apple. There are to many opponents in all of the industries from the content providers, carriers, devices makers, rivals, et al.

Tell that to the iPod.
  • Reply 40 of 303
    Quote:

Another insult removed.