Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price

Comments

• Reply 41 of 303
    And come Black Friday, it will be known as Amazon's Fire Sale Tablet.
  • Reply 42 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

And come Black Friday, it will be known as Amazon's Fire Sale Tablet.

Wow, that quickly, eh?
  • Reply 43 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

So in other words it will compete with the ipad. Just not that well.

No, it means that it will compete with a segment of the iPad market, but not the whole market. The iPad will have to move quickly to being more of a computer than a toy to stay ahead of the game.
  • Reply 44 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

7 inch tablets are too small for any normal person's fingers.

Yet, somehow people have managed to make do with the much smaller screen of the iPhone.

Sorry, but just because Steve Jobs says something, that doesn't make it instantly become true.
  • Reply 45 of 303
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is the poor man's iPad. The question is will Amazon make money out of it. Also how long does the battery last.
  • Reply 46 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yet, somehow people have managed to make do with the much smaller screen of the iPhone.

I was going to explain the inherent difference, but if you're still making this argument, you can't understand why you're wrong.
  • Reply 47 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is the poor man's iPad. The question is will Amazon make money out of it.

It's a loss leader. Unlike Apple though, Amazon sell just about everything and shipping it with Prime is a good move as it should boost their sales.
  • Reply 48 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Like the iPad won't eventually compete with Laptops and isn't already competing with Netbooks?

i never said or implied such a thing.

please, continue talking to the straw man of your own making.
  • Reply 49 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, more people will buy the iPad when they realise the limitations of the Kindle Fire. Call me a fanboy but I'm not feeling this Kindle Fire. I could be wrong, and hope that there is some real tablet competition but these other tablet makers are not "getting" it. 7"... it's a gimmicky kind of size for what it hopes to achieve. A slower processor, 7" and half the iPad price tells me Amazon is still in trial mode. And that's not good enough for customers these days.

As for Amazon's e-Readers, yes they have some decent momentum but remember e-Readers are big in mostly Western countries but not Asian markets. I don't have a link but that's my gut feeling. Maybe e-Readers for traditional and simplified Chinese would be increasingly successful but not English e-Readers in Asian countries, particularly greater China. Also, has anyone looked at the age demographic for e-Readers? I think they are probably skewed towards older adults.

The effing ignorance of some people is amazing. This product will impact iPad sales with out a doubt.

95% of iPad users are very simplistic users, browse the web, email and 10-20 apps. The iPad is at least $499.

With this Kindle Fire you can do the same thing basically. If the app is already written for andriod it will run on this. Yes it has fewer apps, no camera, smaller screen etc. For some people that will be a show stopper, however WAY MORE people will jump at this device because it SAVES you at least $300!!!
  • Reply 50 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

7 inch tablets are too small for any normal person's fingers.

While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

I never understood this line of reasoning, even though it originated with Steve Jobs. A 7" 16:9 display has nearly twice the 4:3 screen area of the iPhone. and more than triple the 16:9 area. Yet somehow the iPhone still works with human fingers.

Is 7" smaller than 10"? Duh. Would the same number of pixels be smaller on the 7" display? Duh. Could you somehow represent a finger-sized target on either size display? Duh.
  • Reply 51 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The effing ignorance of some people is amazing. This product will impact iPad sales with out a doubt.

95% of iPad users are very simplistic users, browse the web, email and 10-20 apps. The iPad is at least $499.

With this Kindle Fire you can do the same thing basically. If the app is already written for andriod it will run on this. Yes it has fewer apps, no camera, smaller screen etc. For some people that will be a show stopper, however WAY MORE people will jump at this device because it SAVES you at least $300!!!

For proof of this, just look at all the successful 7" tablets on the market today.

Quote:

4:3 screen area of the iPhone.

3:2.
  • Reply 52 of 303
    I just don't get this product... for half the price (and also less than half) you can basically buy the same product from Amazon.

As mentioned previously... I see a Black Friday fire sale in the Fire's future..
  • Reply 53 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i never said or implied such a thing.

please, continue talking to the straw man of your own making.

I don't make straw men, but feel free to take out a line of the argument and attacking it.

There's functional overlap between the Kindle and iPad. Much like there is between Netbooks and iPads. So the fact that they're "in different markets" is a moot point. They are still competing.

EDIT: Product page is already up here. The UI looks decent. Android tablet makers should hang it up, Honeycomb is uninspiring and lacks content. This has content and is cheaper.
  • Reply 54 of 303
    Silly me can't find the amout of memory the fire has.

I like to store some files on my devices so that they can be used on a plane or boat or remote locations, so while the cloud is nice, local storage is nicer.

How much does the fire have?
  • Reply 55 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No, it means that it will compete with a segment of the iPad market, but not the whole market. The iPad will have to move quickly to being more of a computer than a toy to stay ahead of the game.

That's kind of a distinction without a difference. Gatorguy said it doesn't compete with the ipad but it may take sales from it. Taking sales is competing.
  • Reply 56 of 303
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    The iPad is a toy, for computer money. I would be more likely to buy a Kindle Fire. $199 is toy money for me. $499 is toy money for the more affuent.

IMO Amazon makes a strong point that this market does not justify a $499 price tag. Not to me, anyway. That could buy me a secondary laptop. Laptops are computers, iPad is a toy.
  • Reply 57 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

A 7" 16:9 display has nearly twice the 4:3 screen area of the iPhone.

Do you know that the screen is measured by diagonal distance, not the width or the height right?
  • Reply 58 of 303
    This is going to have an effect on Apple's holiday sales.

1) Kindle Fire is cheaper.

2) It is a new product.
  • Reply 59 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

The iPad is a toy, for computer money. I would be more likely to buy a Kindle Fire. $199 is toy money for me. $499 is toy money for the more affuent.

IMO Amazon makes a strong point that this market does not justify a $499 price tag. Not to me, anyway. That could buy me a secondary laptop. Laptops are computers, iPad is a toy.

Ah, it's this kind of troll again. Didn't miss it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This is going to have an effect on Apple's holiday sales.

Yeah, they'll increase.

Quote:

2) It is a new product.

Meaning absolutely nothing.
  • Reply 60 of 303
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    7" "baby" magazines.