Court accepts Verizon, T-Mobile briefs in Apple suit against Samsung

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A U.S. District Court on Friday accepted into Apple's patent lawsuit against Samsung "friend of the court" briefs from Verizon and T-Mobile that claim a preliminary injunction of the defendant's devices is counter to public interest.



Both wireless operators recently filed requests with the U.S. District Court for the Northern California District to submit a brief on behalf of Samsung, Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents reports. Judge Lucy Koh accept both amicus curiae briefs on Friday and ruled that any rebuttal argument from Apple would be "duplicative and unnecessary at this time."



Koh did, however, side with Apple in denying T-Mobile's request to participate in a hearing on the preliminary injunction motion on Oct. 13. The iPhone maker had argued that the agenda for the hearing was already full.



The decision by Verizon and T-Mobile to get involved in the legal dispute between Apple and Samsung could put the carriers at odds with Apple. Verizon's relationship with Apple is relatively new, since the company did not begin offering the iPhone until February of this year.



T-Mobile has voiced interest in carrying the iPhone, but has said that "the ball is in Apple's court." However, the carrier's defense of Samsung is unlikely to help it bring the iPhone to its network.



Koh has also ruled that Apple can file an extended reply to Samsung's opposition after the South Korean electronics company had opposed the request. According to Mueller, Koh has taken "a rather permissive approach" to motions related to the case.



Apple is requesting a block on sales of Samsung's new Infuse 4G, Galaxy S 4G and Droid Charge smartphones, as well as the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet. Verizon claimed in its brief that an injunction on 4G phones could impede the rollout of its Long-Term Evolution network, potentially affecting public safety. If such an injunction were to be approved, it would come as a heavy blow to Samsung. The company already faces an injunction on its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany.



An Australian judge is also expected to rule on an injunction request sometime next week. After agreeing to delay the device's launch until after the judge's decision, Samsung has offered a deal that an Apple attorney has conceded has "some potential benefit," though the terms of the proposal were not disclosed to the public.



Apple's legal team has revealed that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs personally contacted Samsung last year in order to resolve a complaint that its rival was copying its designs for the iPhone and iPad. "Samsung is an important supplier with whom we have a deep relationship," Apple attorney Richard Lutton reportedly said in court this week. "We wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing."



But, talks eventually broke down and Apple filed suit against Samsung in April. Samsung has since responded with its own legal action.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 59
    So... carriers complain for not having the iPhone on their network, then they side with someone who is against apple... Would you guys make up your minds?



    Although having Samsung's products for sale, I don't see that as a stronger business than having the iPhone...



    Wrong move on their part imho.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post


    So... carriers complain for not having the iPhone on their network, then they side with someone who is against apple... Would you guys make up your minds?



    $$-They're like the mafia- they want it awl.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Apple is in a position where money is no object so they might as well fight for the injunction. If they lose then it would be the same as if they did nothing. If they win then Samsung and Verizon, and perhaps T-Mobile, will all be kneeling at Apple's door begging forgiveness and plying Apple with treasures.



    Interesting...
  • Reply 4 of 59
    What exactly is Verizon insinuating when they claim "public safety" is at stake if a Samsung can't sell a bunch if new phones?
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post


    So... carriers complain for not having the iPhone on their network, then they side with someone who is against apple... Would you guys make up your minds?



    Although having Samsung's products for sale, I don't see that as a stronger business than having the iPhone...



    Wrong move on their part imho.



    Samsung isn't against Apple. Apple is against Samsung (reasonably sometimes, unreasonably others)



    Apple isn't going to leave Verizon. And Apple will go to T-Mobile if they deem it good for their business.



    These briefs wont change that.



    These are multi billion dollar companies. Not schoolgirls.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    Samsung isn't against Apple. Apple is against Samsung (reasonably sometimes, unreasonably others)



    Apple isn't going to leave Verizon. And Apple will go to T-Mobile if they deem it good for their business.



    These briefs wont change that.



    These are multi billion dollar companies. Not schoolgirls.



    Wow...finally someone making sense!
  • Reply 7 of 59
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post


    So... carriers complain for not having the iPhone on their network, then they side with someone who is against apple... Would you guys make up your minds?



    Although having Samsung's products for sale, I don't see that as a stronger business than having the iPhone...



    Wrong move on their part imho.



    From the carrier perspective, they don't make any more money off of an iPhone customer than a high end android customer. Apple gets the profits. Losing higher end Android phones could be a big financial hit for them. They'd be doing the same thing if the tables were turned on Apple. Its in their best interest.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    These are multi billion dollar companies. Not schoolgirls.



    Gosh dang it, I was hoping for hair pulling and teasing until one develops an eating disorder.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    : Market share grab is what it is all about.

    : There is no future, no future to care about justice aand fairness.

    : Imagine IF it was Apple copying this shamefully, Korean authorities would have kicked Apple ass for good.

    : In the USA money IS all that matters.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post


    : Market share grab is what it is all about.

    : There is no future, no future to care about justice aand fairness.

    : Imagine IF it was Apple copying this shamefully, Korean authorities would have kicked Apple ass for good.

    : In the USA money IS all that matters.



    What does this mean?
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post


    : Market share grab is what it is all about.

    : There is no future, no future to care about justice aand fairness.

    : Imagine IF it was Apple copying this shamefully, Korean authorities would have kicked Apple ass for good.

    : In the USA money IS all that matters.



    What the hell just happened?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    What the hell just happened?



    Okay, I think I got it. The colons show a correlation to the emoticons.



    So wink, meaing satire, meaning market share ISN'T what it's all about?



    He's happy that there is no future for justice and fairness?



    He's stoned on the idea that there's national favoritism going on?



    Aaand he's okay that in the U.S., money is all that matters.



    Got it. Okay.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    What exactly is Verizon insinuating when they claim "public safety" is at stake if a Samsung can't sell a bunch if new phones?



    Firefighters, police and paramedics all with 4G cell phones pressed to their ears, downloading Android medical apps that are trojans (to provide "protection") -- or googling "how to" because their training budgets were cut as part of poorly planned government downsizing...





    Actually, many ambulances do used cellular uplinks (gear in the ambulance) but nobody's been rushing to the speaker podium claiming those were too slow today.



    Verizon: "Wait, let me grab something out of my ass..... There: public safety"
  • Reply 14 of 59
    xamaxxamax Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    These are multi billion dollar companies. Not schoolgirls.



    Wow that's naive! You also believe governments work for the betterment of the people, democracy means the people rule, etc?



    No siree, companies, moreso when loaded with cash like Samsung and Apple, act a lot like spoiled schoolgirls.



    And now something really important: Uranus in Aries squaring Pluto => war in technology is building up and will stick around for *at least* a year, maybe more. It's going / getting to be ugly! And it's from now on that we're gonna see more of the ugly action.



    Verizon should be more careful regarding who they befriend / side with
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Okay, I think I got it. The colons show a correlation to the emoticons.



    So wink, meaing satire, meaning market share ISN'T what it's all about?



    He's happy that there is no future for justice and fairness?



    He's stoned on the idea that there's national favoritism going on?



    Aaand he's okay that in the U.S., money is all that matters.



    Got it. Okay.



    You could make a living as a wtf translator. Suggestion. Lol
  • Reply 16 of 59
    xamaxxamax Posts: 129member
    Wanted to delete my post, don't know how, this is the best I came up with.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    Not schoolgirls.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Gosh dang it, I was hoping for hair pulling and teasing until one develops an eating disorder.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    You could make a living as a wtf translator. Suggestion. Lol



    Yes, he could.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post


    Firefighters, police and paramedics all with 4G cell phones pressed to their ears, downloading Android medical apps that are trojans (to provide "protection") -- or googling "how to" because their training budgets were cut as part of poorly planned government downsizing...





    Actually, many ambulances do used cellular uplinks (gear in the ambulance) but nobody's been rushing to the speaker podium claiming those were too slow today.



    Verizon: "Wait, let me grab something out of my ass..... There: public safety"



    The Trojans on Android thing is blown out of proportion. Yes they exist but like most pc viruses they are easily avoided by not being an idiot.



    As someone once asked me. What would you prefer, peace or freedom*?



    (*more free not fully free)



    That's the way I personally see it. And the safe little walled garden of iOS may offer much protection from teh big bad interwebz but I'm fine with not installing suspicious random apps from random sites and not installing an app before I read both the reviews and permissions.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XamaX View Post


    Wow that's naive! You also believe governments work for the betterment of the people, democracy means the people rule, etc?



    No siree, companies, moreso when loaded with cash like Samsung and Apple, act a lot like spoiled schoolgirls.



    And now something really important: Uranus in Aries squaring Pluto => war in technology is building up and will stick around for *at least* a year, maybe more. It's going / getting to be ugly! And it's from now on that we're gonna see more of the ugly action.



    Verizon should be more careful regarding who they befriend / side with



    No, I just believe the Apple fan sites are blowing this out of proportion and ironically making Apple out to be petty and childish. I ironically think more highly of Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    if you think Apple does not have a case:

    http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a
Sign In or Register to comment.