Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain

Comments

• Reply 180 of 279
    I find that a visualization of the problem helps.

Apple iPhone 4:

What the critics wanted:

Apple iPhone 4S:

Apple iPhone 5:

• Reply 182 of 279
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

Exactly. I've had this argument with 2 people. They say apple didn't do something innovative. I ask what they are looking for. They couldn't give me an answer. Haters with be haters. And I'll have a phone that ALWAYS works.

Always works? An iPhone? Ya never had to reset the phone to get it to update messages? Mybe reset to actually get it to open the phone app? Or best, when it has decided twht it doesn't want to connect to any 3gnetwork that it chews through the battery trying, and then dies.

Maybe when you open the camera app and it sits with the shutter closed until the app is reset.

Maybe iOS5 will enable it to always work, but otherwise it's a nice dream.
  • Reply 183 of 279
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I think the biggest thing we're missing about the lack of excitement in this rollout is that the iPhone 4S was delayed in order to have something, anything, big to talk about at the IOS 5 event. No one seems to notice that except for small changes to the Nano, the entire iPod line is stagnant. now, it's a damn good lineup to start with, but not upgrading the iPod Touch to at least the iPhone 4 level of screen, camera, etc. is a bit of a downer.

So if you think this was a disappointment, imagine what the reaction would have been to a new nano with a wristwatch face and nothing else would have been like.

1) Aren''t the iPod Nano changes all SW based and already available for the iPod Nanos of that design sold over the last year? [It looks like they added an accelerometer internally for Nike+.]

2) It's very surprising that they wouldn't update the iPod Touch. They even talked up what a great mobile gaming device it is, so why not give it the A5 chip with 7x faster graphics, more RAM and faster CPU?
  • Reply 184 of 279
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

oh you're one of those -_-

I bet you think every non Apple PC is like a cheap hooker with viruses.

Let's just say I never touch a Windows machine without a condom.
  • Reply 185 of 279
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

I find that a visualization of the problem helps.

Apple iPhone 4:

image: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-man-pose2.jpg

What the critics wanted:

image: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Ironman2wm.jpg

Apple iPhone 4S:

image: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...n-2_markVI.jpg

Apple iPhone 5:

image: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...gw_9gBRDdrSyo2

This is a Droid user:
    Yet this is how they see themselves:
  • Reply 186 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Do people still think analysts know what they're talking about? If so, I have a bridge to sell yah

AppleInsider, apparently
  • Reply 187 of 279
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    If the iPhone 4 style is already perfect why fix it? Oooh give it a curved back and make the style worse. Some people are a trip.

All these fandroids talking about how the hardware is better seem to always conveniently leave out the software component. iOS software and ecosystem is much better than Android. iCloud is the game changer here in my opinion.

I have used Android before and it was a crappy experience.
  • Reply 188 of 279
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

There does seem to be quite a bit of disappointment over this, I know that three of my friends will not be upgrading based on the announcement.

Had Apple released the iPhone 4S back in June not many people I know would have complained, but to be 4 months later than usual and then show off a "S" model....... Well what did Apple expect? They screwed up plain & simple.

Still, as a 3GS owner it's good enough for me so I'll be pre ordering on Friday.

If Apple had changed the design of the case to be something different, changed the model number designation to "5" but had exactly the same guts and features that the 4s has, everyone would be saying how wonderful it is.

But because Apple did this conservatively, giving it the 4s designation and keeping the same case as the 4, everyone is disappointed.

The problem is that many owners of the "4" wanted a new model to upgrade to, but that's absurd - no one is expected to upgrade every year. I'm still using a 3G. And I will upgrade to the 4s, even though I suspect the 5 will be released in substantially less than 12 months.
  • Reply 189 of 279
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 90member
    Can I be an Analysts? No? Then please tell me what it takes to be an Analysts. What more do these guys want? It is faster, SIRI, great graphics, the best software, the cloud, great service and protection plan, call reception is as good as you can get right now. What do they want? I got it, they wanted a bigger screen. I get it now, all of the rest Apple could have forgotten. Apple, have a bigger screen and call it an iPhone 5 and you have it.
  • Reply 190 of 279
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Most of the complaints are really groundless, but with the 4 month delay, it is at least understandable why so many anticipated an all new hardware design. I for one am glad that the iP4S has the same design, and I'm going to get one just as soon as Sprint figures out how to update their website with the pertinent information.
  • Reply 191 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

The reactions remind me more of the iPhone 3GS keynote. And we all know what a complete and total flop that phone was

The reaction on Wall Street is now quite positive... One. Day. After. the unveiling.

Everyone who doubts Apple just has to look back at antennagate. When the 4 was released AAPL dropped 10% over the next couple of weeks and another 2% beyond that over the next 2 months. Apple was doomed. Wait! What!?
  • Reply 192 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is a Droid user:

It'd have been funnier if you used the robot from Lost in Space...
  • Reply 193 of 279
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Always works? An iPhone? Ya never had to reset the phone to get it to update messages? Mybe reset to actually get it to open the phone app? Or best, when it has decided twht it doesn't want to connect to any 3gnetwork that it chews through the battery trying, and then dies.

Maybe when you open the camera app and it sits with the shutter closed until the app is reset.

Maybe iOS5 will enable it to always work, but otherwise it's a nice dream.

I've never had any of the problems you describe, not even once. The only problem I've had (with my 3G) is that sometimes the map application doesn't respond or gets very sluggish. I've never had to reset the phone. I do shut it off late at night. I generally recharge it every other day unless it's gotten excessive use on any given day.

The only thing that I've found that chews through the battery quickly is when I use a bicycle app that tracks my ride when I'm also listening to the iPod app at the same time. When I first bought the phone, I was so paranoid about the battery not lasting that I bought one of those accessory batteries that you can plug into the bottom of the phone which then recharges the internal battery. Over several years, I've used it less than ten times.
  • Reply 194 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is a Droid user:

I think you meant:

or

Some droid phones are formidable.. well suited for specific purpose, mass production, and expendability:

• Reply 195 of 279
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Apple caters to the high end so in the very same way, I don't think BMW would ever release the exact same model for 2 consecutive cycles with improved performance and features. Apple belongs in that same market segment. I hope my analogy makes sense

Besides, I am pretty sure they will sell a ton in any case...

A car cycle lasts about 5 years. They don't dramatically change the exterior every year in the model cycle. Still, the iphone4 is the most popular phone on the planet. Why change it the following year?
  • Reply 196 of 279
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 197 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

I think you meant:

or

He lost.
  • Reply 198 of 279
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, now that you mention it...

• Reply 198 of 279
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

At least he had a replaceable battery pack.....

Of course, the phandroids will forget that the replaceable battery pack was his biggest weakness.
  • Reply 200 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Although someone pointed that Apple could make the screen a bit bigger and still be "within retina territory". But I personally dread the very idea of pushing the ppi downwards(even if slightly), feels wrong at this stage. I'd rather stay with the current size.

If technically viable, it probably wouldn't be such a bad thing for apple to stretch the display to fill out the bezel of the current iPhone's form factor. It would reduce the PPI below 'Retina display' levels, but not much, and the screen would still look fantastic. As you mentioned, though, they cannot change the actual pixel resolution (for numerous reasons).

Although they probably won't do it for the 'Retina display' reason alone.

Regarding what I said about 'technically viable', that would include any sacrifice associated with bringing the display so far over the antenna system. Obviously I'm no iPhone designer but I can appreciate that this could lead to things such as cost changes and potential dimension changes. Even small details (like this, or sacrificing the 'Retina display') matter to Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The reaction on Wall Street is now quite positive... One. Day. After. the unveiling.

I'm totally not responding to you here just because of the other thread. I stopped replying there because it was off-topic. I just wanted to point out that AAPL, today, is performing negatively compared to the NASDAQ (at the time of writing), as was the case yesterday. So even though we're seeing an increase in AAPL today, you could say that Wall Street is still responding negatively to the iPhone 4GS.

Not that I agree with them. I bought some more AAPL stock at the bottom of the dip yesterday. The only concern I have in doing so is the market as a whole.