Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dies

Comments

• Reply 341 of 377
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedHotJeff View Post

We're all poorer for this loss. But thankfully, Steve Jobs has inspired the world's technologists, myself included, and his mark is lasting. Godspeed, Steve.

That's the important issue that seems to get overlooked.

If Steve were merely a great innovator, then his passing would be the end. But, instead, he created not only great products, but a great organization with a spirit of innovation. Apple will carry on without him and will continue to be a testament to his creativity.
  • Reply 342 of 377
    As a generational peer and someone who had the privilege to watch and participate in the rise of personal computing, Steve (and the rest of course) was so fun to watch, even when he was ousted from Apple and started NeXT, it was intriguing to see how he continued to drive the vision he had for excellence and for keying in on what's important. His influence at Pixar seems to have driven success there as well. His return to Apple marked an ascendancy that (at the time) seemed unlikely, but knowing him and in retrospect was only inevitable.

I noticed the empty chair with the Reserved sign on it - perhaps it will be a hallmark of keynotes to come, but Steve built a strong legacy machine at Apple. They will have to shake off the effects of this impact, but I believe Steve built Apple with the same uncompromising laser focus and attention to detail and excellence he brought to everything he did.

As a cancer survivor and contemporary of Steve, I am pleased and gratified to have enjoyed Apple products for such a long time, to have watched him do such cool things in my time and his. Requiescat in pace, Mr. Jobs, you deserve it.
  • Reply 343 of 377
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    He was awesome and it completely blows that he couldn't stick around more, but honestly, the way some people talk about him, you'd think a cult's messiah had died.

I'll tell you one thing; I didn't realize how sick he was. I mean I knew he was skinny sick, but with as much money as he's got, I guess I just figured doctors could fix him and we would continue to see his influence. His stepping down meant nothing to me (because again I didn't realize how sick he was) and I figured he would still be doing his thing over at Apple, but I guess he knew it was coming soon

I hope to see Apple continue to make strides in the right direction, but we all know Steve Jobs was Apple, so who knows. This sucks.
  • Reply 344 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanblue85 View Post

Thanks Steve

This is very beautiful. Apple has been left with a Steve-sized hole in its heart.

Where can I get a higher resolution version of this? I'd like to use it as the desktop background for all of my Macs.

RIP Steve. You have awakened the beast within me.
  • Reply 345 of 377
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kForceZero View Post

You have awakened the beast within me.

what does that mean?
  • Reply 346 of 377
    My thoughts on Steve Jobs's legacy:

http://notesonafilm.com/2011/10/06/r...ng-his-legacy/
  • Reply 347 of 377
    Steve's Legacy...

iCreated iInnovated iLived

Thank you Steve

maroot nanakul

redmond, washington
  • Reply 348 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

what does that mean?

By that I mean, he's awakened the passion within me.
  • Reply 349 of 377
    The few hundred comments on this thread here compared to the few thousand on macrumors shows how far apple insider has fallen.
  • Reply 350 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

The few hundred comments on this thread here compared to the few thousand on macrumors shows how far apple insider has fallen.

Why should this matter?

However large the community, the response will be the same. All of our voices matter in this, no matter how few.
  • Reply 351 of 377
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member

A very fine tribute from a tumblr user.

(URL of image for credit: http://jmak.tumblr.com/post/9377189056)
  • Reply 352 of 377
    I've been a Mac user since my parents bought a PowerMac 6500 when I was 10 years old. I still remember the excitement of opening the box and watching my father set it up - along with a Color StyleWriter Printer and a 56K modem.

AppleInsider was the first Apple-centric site I visited (mainly for the Genius Bar), and even though I haven't posted in a while, it just seemed right to come back "home" and leave a reply.

Like so many others, I heard the news yesterday on my iPhone. I got a call from my wife (herself using my hand-me-down iPhone 3GS) tell me Steve was gone. It wasn't surprising to me, but incredibly sad. More than anything it feels like the end of an era. Silicon Valley (and Apple) is full of smart, driven, and talented people doing amazing work every day, but Steve was the original.

His was a truly American life - the stuff of legend. A pull-yourself-up-from-the-bootstraps tale of humble beginnings, grand success, grand failure - and then redemption. Redemption in the most incredible of ways. We all know Apple's story. It will be talked about in business schools forever - much like Alexander, Napoleon, and Robert E. Lee are talked about at War Colleges and Military Academies.

I've never been one to mourn celebrities. They are human, after all. But I found myself at an utter loss last night as to how to deal with my grief. It seemed silly for one grown man to cry for another he never knew, but then I realized that more than all of the products he flaunted over the years, his greatest accomplishment was the company that made it all possible. I love Apple. I've loved it since I first heard the start-up chime. And if Apple is Steve's greatest creation, then I guess I loved Steve - and that's why a 26-year-old, grown-ass man with a wife, a job, a Mac mini, Macbook Pro, 2 iPhones, an iPod, and a million memories with each of them had to finally break down and shed tears for the man he only knew through his products.

Thanks, Steve. It was one hell of a ride!

Always, always - here's to the crazy ones...

• Reply 353 of 377
    Just finished reviewing this thread. I am so moved by the way the community has come together as if in a cyber reunion. New voices and voices from the past, regulars and old timers such as me all sharing our grief and loss. Thanks to the moderators for keeping out the few who would spoil the purity of this moment.

Though we frequently bicker and have very divergent political and social beliefs, it's nice that we have set those aside to remember what binds us together.

Thanks, friends.
  • Reply 354 of 377
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

He was awesome and it completely blows that he couldn't stick around more, but honestly, the way some people talk about him, you'd think a cult's messiah had died.

I'll tell you one thing; I didn't realize how sick he was. I mean I knew he was skinny sick, but with as much money as he's got, I guess I just figured doctors could fix him and we would continue to see his influence. His stepping down meant nothing to me (because again I didn't realize how sick he was) and I figured he would still be doing his thing over at Apple, but I guess he knew it was coming soon

I hope to see Apple continue to make strides in the right direction, but we all know Steve Jobs was Apple, so who knows. This sucks.

Part of me had a sense that he would not step if he didn't have to. Like you, most of me refuted that logic and wanted to see him strut on stage 2-3 times every year for eternity.

The timing remains eerie to me, as if he held on long enough to see his last creations do the strut for him.
  • Reply 355 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Just finished reviewing this thread. I am so moved by the way the community has come together as if in a cyber reunion. New voices and voices from the past, regulars and old timers such as me all sharing our grief and loss. Thanks to the moderators for keeping out the few who would spoil the purity of this moment.

Though we frequently bicker and have very divergent political and social beliefs, it's nice that we have set those aside to remember what binds us together.

Thanks, friends.

I second that. Thanks to the moderators for keeping things civil & respectful. That's a lot more than I can say for my twitter feed (I had to unfollow a few jerks who just couldn't resist spewing hate or jealously or something). It's nice knowing I can visit this thread without having to put up with immature people. Thanks.
  • Reply 356 of 377
    I also noticed that the tone of this thread is far more respectful than what I saw on a few other tech sites. Thanks to all who kept it that way.
  • Reply 357 of 377
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

I've been a Mac user since my parents bought a PowerMac 6500 when I was 10 years old. I still remember the excitement of opening the box and watching my father set it up - along with a Color StyleWriter Printer and a 56K modem.

AppleInsider was the first Apple-centric site I visited (mainly for the Genius Bar), and even though I haven't posted in a while, it just seemed right to come back "home" and leave a reply.

Like so many others, I heard the news yesterday on my iPhone. I got a call from my wife (herself using my hand-me-down iPhone 3GS) tell me Steve was gone. It wasn't surprising to me, but incredibly sad. More than anything it feels like the end of an era. Silicon Valley (and Apple) is full of smart, driven, and talented people doing amazing work every day, but Steve was the original.

His was a truly American life - the stuff of legend. A pull-yourself-up-from-the-bootstraps tale of humble beginnings, grand success, grand failure - and then redemption. Redemption in the most incredible of ways. We all know Apple's story. It will be talked about in business schools forever - much like Alexander, Napoleon, and Robert E. Lee are talked about at War Colleges and Military Academies.

I've never been one to mourn celebrities. They are human, after all. But I found myself at an utter loss last night as to how to deal with my grief. It seemed silly for one grown man to cry for another he never knew, but then I realized that more than all of the products he flaunted over the years, his greatest accomplishment was the company that made it all possible. I love Apple. I've loved it since I first heard the start-up chime. And if Apple is Steve's greatest creation, then I guess I loved Steve - and that's why a 26-year-old, grown-ass man with a wife, a job, a Mac mini, Macbook Pro, 2 iPhones, an iPod, and a million memories with each of them had to finally break down and shed tears for the man he only knew through his products.

Thanks, Steve. It was one hell of a ride!

Always, always - here's to the crazy ones...

Excellent post Ag. I hope you send something similar to [email protected]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Thanks to the moderators for keeping out the few who would spoil the purity of this moment.

I'm pleased to report that I've deleted very few posts. In fact, we only had two ass-hat posts so far (other deleted posts include replies to the ass-hats and spam). Thanks to everyone for keeping it civil.
  • Reply 358 of 377
    I started with Apple when I bought my own Apple ][+ as a kid. It had a 16k memory upgrade card. That computer was for me like it was for most of us, it opened up doors that we did not dream were there. It was the communicator before we had internet communication, the game console before we had game consoles, the hacking tool before hacking was looked at as a bad thing. It was revolutionary. And the stream of revolutionary products, concepts, services from Apple has rarely slowed since then.

So I take off my hat for Steve Jobs and Apple today. We have all lost a leader, an inspirational visionary whom may never be replaced. The path he blazed for us is so clear, it's not that hard to see which way we need to go. The journey is not hard, but the first step is tough.
  • Reply 359 of 377
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I just came across this post over at Macworld from a few months ago. Love it.

Quote:

By mbdonner 4:20:11 PM PDT Aug 26, 2011

I bought a Mac Plus in 1984 or so, when it first came out. I never used a computer before that so I have been Mac all the way. Never worked with Windows, but I could always figure out how to use my brother's PC. One day I was shopping at the Armani store. I was standing next to some guy looking at ties and realized it was Steve Jobs. I told him I liked his computers and appreciated having resuscitated Apple when it looked like it was going down. He asked me if I had tried iMovie. It had just come out. He said that if I had kids, I should try it out. He got a little teary, and said he had just made an iMovie of his kids and that it was great and really easy. That's the whole story. A genuine, pleasant and unassuming guy who was really into doing things that other guys would like.

• Reply 360 of 377
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I also noticed that the tone of this thread is far more respectful than what I saw on a few other tech sites. Thanks to all who kept it that way.

We can agree to disagree but we all know who brought us here.