Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

Comments

• Reply 81 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I pictured some guy living in a cave... designing the first wheel by scratching designs on his cave wall... he steps out to kill a deer and when he comes back somebody has etched the wheel with a line through it and a caricature of the wheel designer... the equivalent of, "Wheel never sell. Idiot designs wheel. LOL!".

Touch killed the wheel!
  • Reply 82 of 205
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

I pictured some guy living in a cave... designing the first wheel by scratching designs on his cave wall... he steps out to kill a deer and when he comes back somebody has etched the wheel with a line through it and a caricature of the wheel designer... the equivalent of, "Wheel never sell. Idiot designs wheel. LOL!".

The real smart guy was the guy who invented the second wheel, years later. Until then all they had were wheelbarrows.
  • Reply 83 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Touch killed the wheel!

....and the video killed the radio star!

*looks at other posts*

Sorry for gettin ya'll of topic with you and your wheels and chinese empires.
  • Reply 84 of 205
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Being disappointed that the iPhone 4S wasn't the iPhone 5 doesn't make you anti-Apple.

It's a very sad day when we can't comment honestly on forums like this without being constantly attacked for doing so.
  • Reply 85 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Being disappointed that the iPhone 4S wasn't the iPhone 5 doesn't make you anti-Apple.

It's a very sad day when we can't comment honestly on forums like this without being constantly attacked for doing so.

It's mostly newbies, people posting since post 2007.

The standard schtick in AI is to over-estimate Apple's announcements and then be dissapointed. Only the iPhone broke that mould.

Jesus we hated the iPod. we loathed the iPod.
  • Reply 86 of 205
    Quote:

Here, if I say anything that isn't postitive I get attacked. Can't even speculate on a case without someone losing all their marbles.

I'm gonna test out the macrumor forums...
  • Reply 87 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's mostly newbies, people posting since post 2007.

The standard schtick in AI is to over-estimate Apple's announcements and then be dissapointed. Only the iPhone broke that mould.

Jesus we hated the iPod. we loathed the iPod.

People posting since 2007 are not necessarily new to Apple products. Oregon Trail on the Apple IIe, baby!
  • Reply 88 of 205
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

That's a tad disingenuous. Being disappointed ≠ "LOL Apple is done for what a piece of shit now Android rules all LOL" which is more the tone that people were reacting to.
  • Reply 89 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

... and grumpy as ever, I'm sure.

Reminds me of a Steve quote I read recently, though I'm about to butcher it (and so I use quotes loosely):

"It's difficult to show people what they want when they don't know what it looks like."

I like the Henry Ford one myself. Which goes something like "If I'd asked the public how to build a better car, they would have said I needed to add a horse"

Quote:

I think this is Apple pre-orders only.

The article clearly says it is pre-orders only. so you think correctly

[QUOTE=Dave K.;1961933]This sucks! There is no way that Apple/AT&T's servers are going to be able handle this number of activations smoothly... /QUOTE]

Yeah really sucks that the iPhone is only on ATT. if only it was on Verizon and Sprint also.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

There are no in-store preorders this time around (boooo!). I actually asked a guy at the Apple store why they weren't doing that and he told me that last year many people reserved iPhone 4s for in-store pickup and then never showed up.

According to my sources it was messy than that. Not only did folks not show up, some of them were under the impression that the store was going to hold it for them until they bothered to show up days later. There were always walk in folks that didn't bother to reserve who were pissed that the stores didn't have enough phones, reserve folks were mad that they weren't taken first. it got out to those that placed reserved to be told they were for after launch day that there were extra folks for walk ups. malls were pissed about two lines, numbering systems were a total mockup. and so on

that said, I hope they don't totally repeat the iPad 2 launch in the sense that they didn't do reservations for after that opening weekend. I remember being in one of the stores on day 5 or 6 of the new iPad and hearing a guy screaming and swearing because he'd been coming every morning for nothing. If Apple let folks start reserving for after the weekend they could avoid that PR nightmare, any crowding outside (which malls and cities hate) etc. They could wait and do it at like 7pm on Sunday and do their walk ins only until then.

Quote:

going to an AT&T store, you only have to compete against other AT&T customers.

while this is true, carrier stores don't get as many units so they often sell out faster

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

True. But I would be a new ATT customer. Should I get an account setup before? I'll go out early as I have 3 phones to buy (family plan).

you could but be very very careful. make sure they understand that you are just doing the start up paperwork to get an iPhone this weekend. And that the system needs to show that you never walked out with a phone and you are upgrade eligible -- even if you go to an Apple Store.

My brother in law did this for the iPhone 4 for himself and my wife. THey were coming over from Verizon because they had moved to an area where Verizon coverage was awful. So Bro figures he'd go to ATT and get the number ported over the day before, sign the papers etc. They were just at home unpacking so the lack of a cell phone wasn't a big deal for a couple of days.

Trouble was that whoever did the paperwork didn't just port and park the number in their system but assigned it to a sim. and in that process it was tagged as a contracted line and not upgrade eligible when he got to Apple. The people on the phone with ATT customer service apparently either couldn't fix it or weren't smart enough to figure out what he was explaining because they just kept telling him that he couldn't get another phone for 2 years because he just got one. He had to go back to the ATT store he went to, find the same salesperson, etc. Who told him that the only way to fix it was to return 'the phone' the system though he had and sell him the iPhone in its place. But they had to do it at the same time because once they did the return it was like 5 days before the system would show the lines were eligible again. but in an exchange it works right away. Only they were out of iPhones so they would have to order them and it could take up to two weeks. They also told him (and I suspect lied) that the Apple Store system wasn't set up for such transactions and wouldn't show the eligibility correctly and he had to do it through them. He tried the whole "can i speak to your manager" but that failed cause guess who he was talking to. He was livid.
  • Reply 90 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's a tad disingenuous. Being disappointed ≠ "LOL Apple is done for what a piece of shit now Android rules all LOL" which is more the tone that people were reacting to.

Nope. Android trolls would hardly be disappointed with the iPhone 4S as they weren't going to buy it.

There is a difference between now and 2003 - back then we were only us. Windows users couldnt be arsed coming into a forum for an OS with < 5% of the market. Mostly.

Now we do have to fend off trolls. However, we need to differentiate between trolls and fans disappointed with some release, however over-done the rumours were.
  • Reply 91 of 205
    Quote:

Here, if I say anything that isn't postitive I get attacked. Can't even speculate on a case without someone losing all their marbles.

I'm gonna test out the macrumor forums...

The MacRumors forums are fairly balanced compared to here, in my opinion. But, since they far more popular, posts get buried into oblivion too quickly for my tastes which is why I post here instead as of late.
  • Reply 92 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The article clearly says it is pre-orders only. so you think correctly

I wrote that before they changed it. The title of this thread is what the original article said.
  • Reply 93 of 205
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Nope. Android trolls would hardly be disappointed with the iPhone 4S as they weren't going to buy it.

There is a difference between now and 2003 - back then we were only us. Windows users couldnt be arsed coming into a forum for an OS with < 5% of the market. Mostly.

Now we do have to fend off trolls. However, we need to differentiate between trolls and fans disappointed with some release, however over-done the rumours were.

I agree. One big problem with lots of trolling is that it creates a defensive tone that didn't used to be here. When you can just discuss Apple stuff with like minded people you feel free to take Apple to task for perceived missteps (which plenty of people on this forum certainly did). When every other post is snarky needling there's much less room for spirited debate.
  • Reply 94 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Both of mine have shipped as well. They have already left China. Unless they sit in customs for a few days, they will arrive very early.

The carrier was most likely instructed to hold the package for delivery on Friday so I wouldn't expect it any earlier. This is how it worked for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4.
  • Reply 95 of 205
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Sold or sales in the title and first paragraph should really say pre-orders.

Credit cards are processed and devices are shipping as of yesterday...
  • Reply 96 of 205
    Ah, thanks charlituna. BIG help!

I'm real nervous now. I think I'm going to the store today, but I need to make sure that I'm just telling them that I just want to get some information. To make matters worse, I have a 21% employee discount and am not sure how to apply that to the account upon opening. I just really want to get into on how much I would be paying and stuff.
  • Reply 97 of 205
    Quote:

I wonder if Mr Steve's passing has had an affect....

I am convinced that Steve waited until after the announcement before instructing his hospice support to let him go. Imagine what would have happened had he passed on the same day the 4S was announced. Or even a day or two before. This was no coincidence. He hung on just long enough to do the right thing for his company, his investors, and his fans. Ever the consummate leader, right up until his last breath. What a guy.
  • Reply 98 of 205
    Quote:

EVERYTHING that has a begininng has an end.

Tell me one consumer electronic product that has been on top forever. Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Everything, it seems... except inane posts by naysayers with an agenda!

Quote:

Ha! Exactly!

• Reply 99 of 205
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

The MacRumors forums are fairly balanced compared to here, in my opinion. But, since they far more popular, posts get buried into oblivion too quickly for my tastes which is why I post here instead as of late.

They are pretty bad at the moment. I believe there must be an amazon Turk machine paying out 10 cents a post for negative iPhone comments. They all say the same thing, it never has anything at all to do with the topic. It is out of hand.
  • Reply 100 of 205
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If I just wanted a good phone, I'd look at usability as a Phone (address book, voicemail, etc.) and build quality. It is really hard to beat the previous iPhone 4 in both of these regards. The quality of the iPhone 4 was a big step up from the 3s which has a quality similar to most current Android phones. The only way Android might win head to head is to drop the price to zero or offer phones without data plans to target feature phone users. Both of those scenarios are happening of course, so that will keep Android sales up. Apple hasn't indicated that they want to truly compete against feature phones right now. Basically the iPhone 4 and 3s are just half-hearted attempts. Android however is definitely going after the feature phone crowd.

I'm puzzled by your comments. The iPhone 3s and the iPhone 4 use the same OS. While there were some features only available on the 4, I'd say that the usability of the two phones was almost exactly the same, except in regards to performance, in which the 4 has smoother scrolling and is faster.

The numbers seem to indicate that iPhone 4 users are upgrading. That's a surprise to me even considering the voice-controls and other features of the new phone. I would have thought that the vast majority of upgraders would have earlier phones. I still have a 3G. Frankly, I didn't think the 4 offered enough of an upgrade, so I waited. Getting the 4s probably means skipping the 5, but I'm probably okay with that unless Apple really takes a major and unexpected leap in technology with the 5.