Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

13468911

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post


    Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5 AND because there was no iPhone 5 AND they were sooooooo disappointed they claimed the 4S would be a dud? I'll bet they crawled back under their rocks!



    Could it be they have been confused with the models from another vendor soon to be released.



    By the way if one listens closely, the sound of nails being driven into the "rim" of a a casket may be faintly heard.
  • Reply 102 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Ha! Exactly!







    mm...a donut! Is that from Krispy Kreme?
  • Reply 103 of 205
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.



    Aapl?
  • Reply 104 of 205
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Yes, I pre-ordered one on Sprint the very first day. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have much preferred a larger screen. I am satisfied with all the other internal changes and also with iOS 5. As far as a shell redesign, it is a very thin rectangular box so there really is not a ton you can do with that. Others might care about a new deign, but that was not a priority for me.



    I got very used to a 4.3" screen and 3.5" is a little on the smallish side. Yes, I know about the superior resolution, but that doesn't make up for actual screen real estate. I doubt I am alone either. If they took a poll of 4S customers, I bet 4" would win out over 3.5" by a very wide margin. But unlike computers, you don't have to keep cellphones as long. When they introduce the iPhone next year with LTE and a larger screen, I will just sell my 4S and get the iPhone I really have been waiting for.



    I just hope these large sales numbers don't convince Apple that they need to stick with 3.5".
  • Reply 105 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post


    Getting the 4s probably means skipping the 5, but I'm probably okay with that unless Apple really takes a major and unexpected leap in technology with the 5.



    I am thinking that Siri is the tip of the iceberg as regards iPhone 5. iPhone 4S is essentially a test bed for the new paradigm in portable computing input: voice.
  • Reply 106 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    EVERYTHING that has a begininng has an end.



    Tell me one consumer electronic product that has been on top forever. Tell me an empire in the world that has lasted forever.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


    Being disappointed that the iPhone 4S wasn't the iPhone 5 doesn't make you anti-Apple.



    It's a very sad day when we can't comment honestly on forums like this without being constantly attacked for doing so.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Here, if I say anything that isn't postitive I get attacked. Can't even speculate on a case without someone losing all their marbles.



    I'm gonna test out the macrumor forums...





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I agree. One big problem with lots of trolling is that it creates a defensive tone that didn't used to be here. When you can just discuss Apple stuff with like minded people you feel free to take Apple to task for perceived missteps (which plenty of people on this forum certainly did). When every other post is snarky needling there's much less room for spirited debate.



    Yes! Many of us admire Apple as a company, and prefer to buy Apple products -- but Apple makes mistakes and have released some real duds too!



    It is nice to be able to come to a place with like-minded knowledgeable people to discuss the plusses and minuses of the latest Apple product or action.



    AI, is [mostly] such a place.



    However, periodically, the forums are inundated with those who say "I am a big Apple fan, but...".



    Everything, after that is anti-Apple or nay-saying against Apple actions or products.



    You can usually recognize them -- recent enrollees with a lot of posts -- mostly negative or to muddy the water.



    Sometimes 2 or more will descend on a thread at the same time -- usually around a new Apple product announcement, such as the iPhone 4S.



    They try to overload the thread with their anti-Apple agenda -- then sniff, as if offended, when called out.



    If you want verification, you only have to click on their name, get statistics, and review their posts.





    Almost every regular here (me included), has made posts that call out Apple when they think they have reason to do so.



    Most of us (including me), will praise Apple's competition when they have reason to do so.



    That makes for a lively and informative discussion. I know I often learn things from other posters here!





    It is a sad fact of life, that some people cannot tolerate open and reasoned discussions -- and feel they must impose their agenda on us.
  • Reply 107 of 205
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Your using this anecdote to refute "win back"?





    An Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Grasshopper.
  • Reply 108 of 205
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    Maybe Sony? They've never gone to the soaring heights Apple has been at recently, but no one has ever described them as struggling or "doomed".



    And maybe that's the secret.



    SNE once had a stock price within spitting distance of $150.00. Right now it is at 18 and change.
  • Reply 109 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Yes! Many of us admire Apple as a company, and prefer to buy Apple products -- but Apple makes mistakes and have released some real duds too!



    It is nice to be able to come to a place with like-minded knowledgeable people to discuss the plusses and minuses of the latest Apple product or action.



    AI, is [mostly] such a place.



    However, periodically, the forums are inundated with those who say "I am a big Apple fan, but...".



    Everything, after that is anti-Apple or nay-saying against Apple actions or products.



    You can usually recognize them -- recent enrollees with a lot of posts -- mostly negative or to muddy the water.



    Sometimes 2 or more will descend on a thread at the same time -- usually around a new Apple product announcement, such as the iPhone 4S.



    They try to overload the thread with their anti-Apple agenda -- then sniff, as if offended, when called out.



    If you want verification, you only have to click on their name, get statistics, and review their posts.





    Almost every regular here (me included), has made posts that call out Apple when they think they have reason to do so.



    Most of us (including me), will praise Apple's competition when they have reason to do so.



    That makes for a lively and informative discussion. I know I often learn things from other posters here!





    It is a sad fact of life, that some people cannot tolerate open and reasoned discussions -- and feel they must impose their agenda on us.





    Yeah, I agree. Just don't go to any Android forums. It's just as bad. Except you have hardware fanboys. Don't be a Samsung owner and go into an HTC threat. You'll killed murdered.
  • Reply 110 of 205
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post


    Sounds like us. My wife got an original iPad last October, we bought a Mini and a ATV2 in August, we're buying iPhone 4S's at the end of the month and in the spring we're both probably getting laptops and iPads.



    I've never seen this sort of phenomenon with any other brand.
  • Reply 111 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    I've never seen this sort of phenomenon with any other brand.



    I've seen it with the Wii for a short while. Then it just died off.
  • Reply 112 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post


    Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5 AND because there was no iPhone 5 AND they were sooooooo disappointed they claimed the 4S would be a dud? I'll bet they crawled back under their rocks!



    They're frantically searching for the next Antennagate to fuel their fake outrage. And just like last time, it will have little to no impact on how the rest of the world perceives the iPhone. And just like last time, it will do nothing to hide the fact that Android blows chunks compared to iOS.
  • Reply 113 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    My lord Goodness. Mind BLOWN!



    This doesn't even included the sales for the regular 4 and 3GS. Go Apple!



    My original iphone 4 16 gig is in pristine condition. I can get 350 to 400 hundred for it. I'll be getting the 32 gig model 4s when all the craziness dies down. Damn I can't wait.
  • Reply 114 of 205
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post


    The numbers seem to indicate that iPhone 4 users are upgrading. That's a surprise to me even considering the voice-controls and other features of the new phone.



    I'm a launch day iP4 owner and AT&T has said I can update early. Which is weird except that I have 2 iPhones and 3 feature phones on my family account so I must have passed some magic threshold for early updates.



    I'm going to pass and just update the older 3G phone to the 4S then update the 4 to the 5 next year. I suspect I'd be allowed to upgrade early then too but no need to risk it.



    The internal debate is whether to give my wife the 4 or 4S.
  • Reply 115 of 205
    My last post was 04-07-2011 with Apples earnings recommendation. Now I?m back again. The whisper number for Apples earnings on 18 Oct 11 is out. The consensus is for 7.15 a share, the whisper number is 8.42 per share which means that Apple will report 1.27 per share over consensus estimates. I believe they will come in at 9.03 per share and 2.02 above estimates or better. Nobody?s talking about it, but on 18 Oct 11, Apple could become the first company with 100 BILLION in cash on hand. You heard it from me first!
  • Reply 116 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    I'm a launch day iP4 owner and AT&T has said I can update early. Which is weird except that I have 2 iPhones and 3 feature phones on my family account so I must have passed some magic threshold for early updates.



    I'm going to pass and just update the older 3G phone to the 4S then update the 4 to the 5 next year. I suspect I'd be allowed to upgrade early then too but no need to risk it.



    The internal debate is whether to give my wife the 4 or 4S.



    So if I sign up with ATT next week, then how long would my upgrade be (3 iPhones, family plan, $150+/mo).
  • Reply 117 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Question, if I want to get one in store....(LIKE ATT)....then what do I do? I mean, do they have instore preorders? (ATT). Do I stay outside? Do I have the plan set up before? I'm wondering...



    I think all you have to do is go to an AT&T store Friday morning and stand in line. I don't think there are preorders Friday morning at the AT&T store, I think you just go in and buy the phone. They'll activate it there so (if you have an iPhone now) sync/back it up to your computer before you go.



    Does this sound right everybody?
  • Reply 118 of 205
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    The only other example I can think of is Walt Disney. What happened when Edison died?



    Lots of light bulbs were purchased.
  • Reply 119 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    I've seen it with the Wii for a short while. Then it just died off.



    Unlike Apple, however, Nintendo is happy to coast on the success of a single product line until it has overstayed its welcome. The Wii U looks like an interesting update to the Wii but it should have been out last year, not next summer.
  • Reply 120 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applepeal View Post


    My last post was 04-07-2011 with Apples earnings recommendation. Now I?m back again. The whisper number for Apples earnings on 18 Oct 11 is out. The consensus is for 7.15 a share, the whisper number is 8.42 per share which means that Apple will report 1.27 per share over consensus estimates. I believe they will come in at 9.03 per share and 2.02 above estimates or better. Nobody?s talking about it, but on 18 Oct 11, Apple could become the first company with 100 BILLION in cash on hand. You heard it from me first!



    Wow, you came out of nowhere!
Sign In or Register to comment.