Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

Comments

• Reply 121 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nope. Android trolls would hardly be disappointed with the iPhone 4S as they weren't going to buy it.

There is a difference between now and 2003 - back then we were only us. Windows users couldnt be arsed coming into a forum for an OS with < 5% of the market. Mostly.

Now we do have to fend off trolls. However, we need to differentiate between trolls and fans disappointed with some release, however over-done the rumours were.

could also help to decide what a troll is...

I'm a troll because I don't think any item should be barred from sale due to similarity to a drawing of a nonexistent product....

I've also been told I've bad mouthed both the iPhone and Apple multiple times though I've never done such a thing. I may be strongly anti "rabid iPhanboy" but I'm also anti fundamentalist Christian but I'm not the anti-Christ -_-
  • Reply 122 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Almost every regular here (me included), has made posts that call out Apple when they think they have reason to do so.

Most of us (including me), will praise Apple's competition when they have reason to do so.

I can't speak for you. But there are many regulars here who never ever tolerate anything that sounds slightly not in favor of Apple, and will label those who look at both sides of the story as trolls. True, there are folks here whose every post is pro-Android or anti-Apple. But there are indeed more than a few who embrace Apple products but do not drink the entire glass of Cool-aid. Some of these folks have been flamed, taunted and gang-tackled.
  • Reply 123 of 205
    Quote:

Nope. Android trolls would hardly be disappointed with the iPhone 4S as they weren't going to buy it.

There is a difference between now and 2003 - back then we were only us. Windows users couldnt be arsed coming into a forum for an OS with < 5% of the market. Mostly.

Now we do have to fend off trolls. However, we need to differentiate between trolls and fans disappointed with some release, however over-done the rumours were.

Trolls and disappointed fans are not the only people who visit this and other fora. I sincerely think you can do with a more open mind.
  • Reply 124 of 205
    Quote:

Although I was one of the people disappointed with the lack of a new form factor - I have been waiting 26 months or so - I have come around to the 4S being a good idea. Why? Simply to release a new form factor in the holiday Q is probably a bit suicidal. They would never have met demand. In short they would have have greater demand, and lesser sales.

( For that reason I think the 5 should be updated early next year, or the year after. Hopefully, next).

I also waited 26 months (although I tried an iPhone 4 but had to return it due to reception/antenna issues) and ordered my iPhone4S Friday.

So here's my thinking. When Apple comes out with a whole new form factor/iPhone, I think I'll wait until they've revised that form factor with the next version and gotten all the bugs out. Example: The 3GS was so much better than the 3G (faster, etc.), the 4S will be so much better than the 4 (no antenna problems, faster, better camera, Siri. etc).

This seems to make sense to me.....
  • Reply 125 of 205
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] The million sales surpass the previous single-day preorder record of 600,000 set by the iPhone 4 when it launched in 2010. [...]

I think 1 million iPhone 4 units could have been sold last year if Apple's and AT&T's servers had been able to handle the load. It took me 16 hours overall, and 50 to 60 tries to place my order. This year, many people had to use the Apple Store app on their iPhones / iPads to get through. (And in fact, I think the midnight PST pre-order start time is designed to minimize the number of orders and hence the load on the servers.)

Also, last year only Apple and AT&T took iPhone 4 pre-orders. This year Verizon and Sprint were in on the game in the U.S..

And finally, I'm pretty sure that few if any countries offered pre-ordering last year. Pre-ordering was possible in many countries around the world this year.

Last year's launch was all the more impressive when you consider the above. If Apple, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, and international iPhone carriers (and T-Mobile maybe???) expand their server capacity next year, we're going to see far more than 1m pre-orders of the 2012 iPhone.

I'll be one of the first. I love my trusty iPhone 4, but after another year I'll be jonesing for Siri something awful.
  • Reply 126 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Yeah, I agree. Just don't go to any Android forums. It's just as bad. Except you have hardware fanboys. Don't be a Samsung owner and go into an HTC threat. You'll killed murdered.

Android forums can be soooo annoying...XDA is a much better place as childishness is usually weeded out, but the comment sections of Android blogs seem unmoderated and can reach engadget heights of annoyance...just not as many posts though.

The one thing I like about Android sites though is that they seem to only focus on Android news that way anyone picking a fight literally has no excuse to be there.

I came to AI because my "Android" RSS feed was always populated by AI articles since they always mention Google and Android for some reason and the comments were simply atrocious.

Granted I know nothing personal is meant but I can only be called a fat nerdy no pussy getting broke loser in his moms basement with no friends or life so many times by extension before commenting.

Now I'm a "troll" allegedly.

It's like when I moved to my town now at 13 years old and would speak against all these little white boys making black jokes periodically...I knew they'd been doing that before I got there, and still do behind my back, but if I can speak on it I will. And I did. And for a while I was the disrupter I didn't get it, I needed to relax...

fuck that.
  • Reply 127 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

... Simply 3GS owners upgrading would not bode well for Apple.

Why's that? Apple still sells the phone ... It's not like they're buying back the 3GS! in fact, I would argue that upgrading an older phone is even better for Apple... Not only are the selling to the new customers, but they're getting repeat sells to people who already have functional iPhones! For Apple, it's like printing cash!!!

I suppose you could say it doesn't bode well for ATT, as they're not getting a NEW customer... But even then, they're locking a current customer in for another 2 years.
  • Reply 128 of 205
    WOW, Apple up almost 15 points at 1pm, 10/10/11....
  • Reply 129 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

you a shareholder?
  • Reply 130 of 205
    Quote:

Simply 3GS owners upgrading would not bode well for Apple.

Are you serious? If every 3GS owner upgraded + a few new customers from all the new carriers I'm sure a record number of iPhones would be sold.
  • Reply 131 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

AAPL is showing real strength today.
  • Reply 132 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Are you serious? If every 3GS owner upgraded + a few new customers from all the new carriers I'm sure a record number of iPhones would be sold.

Shareholders generally want to see growth and increased market share.
  • Reply 133 of 205
    Quote:

Your using this anecdote to refute "win back"?

Heck you didn't even an anecdote to claim "win back."
  • Reply 134 of 205
    Quote:

No. They want to see growth in profits and cash flows.
  • Reply 135 of 205
    Quote:

true.

they also want increased cash flow though.
  • Reply 136 of 205
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

[...]

However, periodically, the forums are inundated with those who say "I am a big Apple fan, but...".

Everything, after that is anti-Apple or nay-saying against Apple actions or products.

You can usually recognize them -- recent enrollees with a lot of posts -- mostly negative or to muddy the water.

Sometimes 2 or more will descend on a thread at the same time -- usually around a new Apple product announcement, such as the iPhone 4S.

[...]

They're "concern trolls" and some of them are paid to do it. The ones who aren't paid to do it are just sickos doing it for the thrill.

And why would Google or Microsoft pay a concern troll? Because concern trolling actually had an effect on some obscure little election years ago. But that's just politics. With Apple it's more like religion. And concern trolling has zero chance of changing anyone's faith.

Pure anti-Apple trolling is the basic mindless "Apple sucks." Concern trolling is an attempt to sway forum members' opinions. And a straight attack isn't the way to do that. The first sentence of a concern troll has to hook the other forum members into thinking that the troll is actually pro-Apple in some way. We've all seen it. "I'm a lifelong Apple user, but I've got some serious issues about what Apple is doing with <apple_product_or_service_name>." No you aren't. No you don't.

Seen that. Ignored that. Didn't change our minds.

Here's Wikipedia's entry on "Concern Trolling": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concern...#Concern_troll
  • Reply 137 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

... and grumpy as ever, I'm sure.

Reminds me of a Steve quote I read recently, though I'm about to butcher it (and so I use quotes loosely):

"It's difficult to show people what they want when they don't know what it looks like."

I believe the quote is (and I've committed it to memory), "People don't know what they want until you show it to them."
  • Reply 138 of 205
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    "and we are thrilled that customers love iPhone 4S as much as we do" -- well, they can't. Not until they can get their hands on the phone. Until then, they are just following the trend, and buying.
  • Reply 139 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

They're "concern trolls" and some of them are paid to do it. The ones who aren't paid to do it are just sickos doing it for the thrill.

And why would Google or Microsoft pay a concern troll? Because concern trolling actually had an effect on some obscure little election years ago. But that's just politics. With Apple it's more like religion. And concern trolling has zero chance of changing anyone's faith.

Pure anti-Apple trolling is the basic mindless "Apple sucks." Concern trolling is an attempt to sway forum members' opinions. And a straight attack isn't the way to do that. The first sentence of a concern troll has to hook the other forum members into thinking that the troll is actually pro-Apple in some way. We've all seen it. "I'm a lifelong Apple user, but I've got some serious issues about what Apple is doing with <apple_product_or_service_name>." No you aren't. No you don't.

Seen that. Ignored that. Didn't change our minds.

Here's Wikipedia's entry on "Concern Trolling": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concern...#Concern_troll

are you serious right now?

hell you even admitted to be led by blind faith as if such a thing is a good thing.

Just like Young Earth Creationists believe that a flood carved the grand canyon or that there is a massive worldwide multi-faith multi-national conspiracy to hide the truth of Creation by scientists who work to refute each other and old theories day in and old.
  • Reply 140 of 205
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

mm...a donut! Is that from Krispy Kreme?

That's their new granite surprise. The surprise is how much your dental bill will be