Apple profits jump 54% on record sales of 4.9M Macs, 11.2M iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I think it's really interesting that the stock price is up $50 over where it was before the 4S announcement and nearly $100 higher than it's low point right as the announcement ended. Some people have made a real killing the last 2 weeks

Long or short, I wondered if there was something almost like a contest out there for the record trade per share, aiming at about $100.

Any pros out there know what's the most anyone ever made on a per share basis on a single stock trade made in the shortest time period?
  • Reply 22 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

...and the stock is down on this news. Meanwhile, Amazon is trading at a P/E ratio of 107, more than 6 times that of AAPL. Do we think that Amazon's profits will be up more than 300% this quarter?

Don't you just love the short whores? These guys are driving it down to cover their positions, riding the coattails of big stake holders taking profits.
  • Reply 23 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. All those RECORD SALES are sure an indicator of that.

Yes, they are precisely that. If you can't even beat the conservative street consensus for earnings, then that is spelled B-A-D, and it doesn't matter if the company is Apple or GE or Intel or anybody else.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Don't you just love the short whores? These guys are driving it down to cover their positions, riding the coattails of big stake holders taking profits.

Someone makes money on both sides of a trade. I have no plans to sell anytime soon... or in the long term, for that matter.
  • Reply 25 of 128
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You can't sugarcoat this no matter how much you try. It stinks.

Only Apple could have another record breaking quarter and have morons say it's a disaster...
  • Reply 26 of 128
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:

EPS was lower than the street consensus, and that's the only thing that matters. The first big miss in many years.

If you look at the numbers this was strictly an iphone miss.

Record mac and ipads, unsubsidized hardware.

This seems like a clear effect of waiting on the new iphone, not global economy issues.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

This seems like a clear effect of waiting on the new iphone, not global economy issues.

You'll find your enjoyment of the site increases exponentially by blocking certain posters. The "Dr." made it early to my blocked list.
  • Reply 28 of 128
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Not only that. look at the numbers going forward. Looks like an excellent holiday season.
  • Reply 29 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Only Apple could have another record breaking quarter and have morons say it's a disaster...

Sorry, but the investors out there know what this is: a miss on earnings. A miss is a miss, and it's never good.

Quote:

We'll see what comes out of the conference call in the way of explanation. I'm sure the question will be asked, but I would not expect a clear answer. But as I said in another thread, iPhone sales will be the number to watch. It came in low. So there you have it.
  • Reply 30 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You'll find your enjoyment of the site increases exponentially by blocking certain posters. The "Dr." made it early to my blocked list.

Yeah, some people do like to plug their ears when they hear stuff that doesn't work for them. Tell me something I don't know.
  • Reply 31 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Wow, Apple's numbers are quite disappointing. Here's what the analysts were expecting. Apple's numbers are on the low-end of the expectations.

Take those expectations and shove deep and hard.

The guidance they were given was $25 Billion for the quarter. They crushed their guidance. This is a short-seller scam and if anyone cannot see this they either are making a killing on it or too dense to figure it out.

You don't crush your year over year results and call it a disappointment, unless you're betting it to go down.

Not oddly, Morgan Stanley was one of the more bearish estimators and their target was under $27 Billion.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Maybe the street should have listened to Apple when they said last quarter they're predicting a 'conservative' quarter?

I fail to see how a company that increased profits by 50% in a double dip recession which has written off countless major companies, is rubbish performance?

Were Wall Street banking on Apple single handedly paying of America's debts or something?
  • Reply 33 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Not only that. look at the numbers going forward. Looks like an excellent holiday season.

I agree. Its unfortunate because I intended to sell my Apr calls after the announcement, because no matter what the stock is going to go down more in Nov and Dec before what will absolutely, without question, be Apple best quarter in the history of the company.

But that was just me being greedy I guess. I'll be sticking it out now until Jan, and I will have had an very good year in the market thanks to Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

EPS was lower than the street consensus, and that's the only thing that matters. The first big miss in many years.

From a strategic standpoint, I'm much more interested in gross margin, which came in at 40.3%. That's still a top-tier number and shows the operating side continues well under control.

If anybody has bothered to look at the company's revenue and EPS forecast for the coming holiday quarter, it's going to be a barn-burner, even considering it will span 14 weeks rather than 13. Look for a selloff in the short-term and a great buying opportunity.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haydn! View Post

Maybe the street should have listened to Apple when they said last quarter they're predicting a 'conservative' quarter?

I fail to see how a company that increased profits by 50% in a double dip recession which has written off countless major companies, is rubbish performance?

Were Wall Street banking on Apple single handedly paying of America's debts or something?

Correct. Then again, Wall Street doesn't have their gonads in a vice yet when it comes to enforcing regulations and manipulating stocks.

As pointing out earlier, that $100 differential sure has made some people quick and dirty money, all due to triggers.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

You can't sugarcoat this no matter how much you try. It stinks.

I was stating facts, not sugarcoating anything. I'm having a very hard time seeing how this 'stinks' if you're looking at anything else besides analyst 'expectations'. Do they realize Apple didn't launch a new phone last quarter, as they always do? If they did, numbers would have blown away all fucking expectations. The December quarter will be insane. These analysts slobbered over themselves with expectations that weren't realistic at all, yet Apple is supposed to magically exceed whatever the hell they come up with? Right. They had $8 Billion more revenue than last year. That's perspective.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

From a strategic standpoint, I'm much more interested in gross margin, which came in at 40.3%. That's still a top-tier number and shows the operating side continues well under control.

If anybody has bothered to look at the company's revenue and EPS forecast for the coming holiday quarter, it's going to be a barn-burner, even considering it will span 14 weeks rather than 13. Look for a selloff in the short-term and a great buying opportunity.

They've already sold 25% of last quarter's iPhone sales, in 3 days. When the role out to all countries happens these numbers explain the reason they've already targeted $37 Billion.

I expect Wall Street to try and not test the SEC again and target around $38 Billion, instead of something as absurd as $42 Billion and then when $40 Billion comes out drive the stock down again.
  • Reply 38 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I agree. Typical market overreaction that will be forgotten in a week or two. Hilarious stupidity on parade.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    Quote:

Sorry, but the investors out there know what this is: a miss on earnings. A miss is a miss, and it's never good.

We'll see what comes out of the conference call in the way of explanation. I'm sure the question will be asked, but I would not expect a clear answer. But as I said in another thread, iPhone sales will be the number to watch. It came in low. So there you have it.

What explanation do you expect from them? What numbers in particular do you need to draw a conclusion, given that you already know they've sold 4M iphones in the last week not counting 3GS or 4's sold?

Your conclusion that its global economy hitting apple doesn't make a lick of sense with the numbers you've already got.
  • Reply 40 of 128
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No clue what EPS means, but iPhone sales makes a lot of sense.

Four years of 12 month cycles got people on that kick. Makes sense that the quarter (being three months) after the end of that anticipated cycle saw far fewer iPhone sales as people were waiting for the new one.

EPS = Earnings per share. It's a little more complicated, but essentially it's a company's earnings divided by the average number of shares outstanding during the quarter. It's each shareholder's "share" of earnings. P/E is the stock price divided by EPS. Apple's P/E is relatively low compared to other technology companies.