Apple profits jump 54% on record sales of 4.9M Macs, 11.2M iPads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I was stating facts, not sugarcoating anything. I'm having a very hard time seeing how this 'stinks' if you're looking at anything else besides analyst 'expectations'. Do they realize Apple didn't launch a new phone last quarter, as they always do? If they did, numbers would have blown away all fucking expectations. The December quarter will be insane. These analysts slobbered over themselves with expectations that weren't realistic at all, yet Apple is supposed to magically exceed whatever the hell they come up with? Right. They had $8 Billion more revenue than last year. That's perspective.

I have to ask what sort of `Dr.' this title stands for, because if it signifies a Ph.D in the hard sciences I'd have his revoked for mathematical incompetency, but I'm leaning towards Medicine and/or Clinical Psychology where bone-head Calc is the toughest class one takes for those fields of study.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Take those expectations and shove deep and hard.

The guidance they were given was $25 Billion for the quarter. They crushed their guidance. This is a short-seller scam and if anyone cannot see this they either are making a killing on it or too dense to figure it out.

You don't crush your year over year results and call it a disappointment, unless you're betting it to go down.

Not oddly, Morgan Stanley was one of the more bearish estimators and their target was under $27 Billion.

Good grief. Apple's guidance is always very low. Take another look at that table for $27b in revenue, and how far down the list you have to go to find an analyst predicting that number. Bottom third. What's more, the analysts who got that number close are not the ones who've been stars at predicting AAPL earnings in the past.

You call it a disappointment when it is a disappointment.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:

I have to ask what sort of `Dr.' this title stands for, because if it signifies a Ph.D in the hard sciences I'd have his revoked for mathematical incompetency, but I'm leaning towards Medicine and/or Clinical Psychology where bone-head Calc is the toughest class one takes for those fields of study.

Ad hominem attacks are just as annoying.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msm859 View Post

Great news. Too bad they have become like every other greedy American corporation. Builds their products oversees to save a few dollars and for the regular troops here in the states they give them a 4% raise after a year - still not a livable wage. Let's see some real progress how about start building products back in the US and start paying a living wage.

Yeah, I'd love to see their earnings call after a move like that. Incredible how you would be so disconnected from reality as to advocate financial suicide. If there's no other way around it. Most of us, who aren't living in lala-land like yourself, recognize that producing their products in the US is an impossibility.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You can't sugarcoat this no matter how much you try. It stinks.

Haha, the results are great! Some people crack me up.

This time last year, Apple posted revenue of $20.34 billion and now they post revenue of $28.27 billion! Yeah, that stinks! Terrible results. Here are the results interpreted through the eyes of a non delusional person and somebody who is not one of those analysts.

1. Mac sales - way higher than expected! Great news for all Mac users! Apple is not just about iOS.

2. iPhone sales - lower than some of the analysts expected. So fucking what? Apple sold 17 million instead of 19 according to the estimates. The iPhone 4 was nearing it's end of life. Selling 17 million of them in it's last quarter alive is fucking incredible! The Analysts should have factored that into their predictions. Are they dumb? They didn't do their job properly. The global economy also factors into the equation.

3. iPod sales were down. No shit! That was fully expected, they've been on the decline for a while now. iPods are done! Less and less people are buying iPods (except for iPod Touch) because their music is on iPhones and iPads instead.

4. iPad sales, 11 million! Fucking amazing! iPad rules! All hail the iPad! I pity the retarded fools who ever doubted the iPad.

Analysts are clueless people playing a pathetic guessing game with each other. It may be the first time since 2004 that Apple doesn't meet expectations, but I think that's a great thing! People expect way too much and these clueless idiots end up getting disappointed every time. A perfect example of that was when the iPhone 4S was announced. People start rumors, make up all sorts of lies and speculate about Apple because they want the stock to go up and down, so that they can make money off of it.

No matter how anybody looks at it, Apple is doing great!
  • Reply 46 of 128
    Quote:

No, it signifies a joke that you don't get.

Try responding to the facts instead of attacking me personally and you might get points for something.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    lenalena Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You'll find your enjoyment of the site increases exponentially by blocking certain posters. The "Dr." made it early to my blocked list.

Thanks for the reminder...and done!
  • Reply 48 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

love how the headline ignores the big miss (first in 4 years) in expected EPS and iPhone sales.

Expected by whom. That is the question. Apple met its own numbers. TheStreet.com needs to quit adding a 50% multiplier to Apple's estimates.

Now they are zeroing in on who should be running Apple, what they should be doing with their cash etc etc bullshit.

Anal cysts all say however, they will buy some AAPL now at 395 and wait tomorrow and see how low it goes and buy some more, but buy in at under 400 looks good.

Gonna go read a book.
  • Reply 49 of 128
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Well, now all we need is an Andy Zaky article to 'splain all this away...
  • Reply 50 of 128
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I agree. Its unfortunate because I intended to sell my Apr calls after the announcement, because no matter what the stock is going to go down more in Nov and Dec before what will absolutely, without question, be Apple best quarter in the history of the company.

But that was just me being greedy I guess. I'll be sticking it out now until Jan, and I will have had an very good year in the market thanks to Apple.

You probably know better how to play the market than me. I'm extremely conservative, I buy on dips. So far though I've done very well this year doing that though.
  • Reply 51 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

Ad hominem attacks are just as annoying.

But way easier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha, the results are great! Some people crack me up.

This time last year, Apple posted revenue of $20.34 billion and now they post revenue of $28.27 billion! Yeah, that stinks! Terrible results. Here are the results interpreted through the eyes of a non delusional person and somebody who is not one of those analysts.

Nice try, but markets don't work that way. Check out the markets sometime if you don't believe me.

We saw AAPL climb to new highs this past week on expectations that they'd blow away the forecasts, as they have done so many times recently. Nobody complained about or slammed the analysts because they were optimistic. Now that Apple has failed (for the first time in years) to beat their expectations, the fault is (wait for it) with the analysts. Funny how that works -- in a sad sort of way.
  • Reply 52 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Andy doesn't live here anymore. You will now have to pay to see his explanation for how he got it so wrong.
  • Reply 53 of 128
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Good grief. Apple's guidance is always very low. Take another look at that table for $27b in revenue, and how far down the list you have to go to find an analyst predicting that number. Bottom third. What's more, the analysts who got that number close are not the ones who've been stars at predicting AAPL earnings in the past.

You call it a disappointment when it is a disappointment.

Anyone in the know takes into account Apple's numbers and acts accordingly (yes they tend in general to be conservative). The analysts have no clue. Believe me, I live in NYC and know plenty of wall streeters.

Anyone who looks to them for guidance deserves to be disappointed.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

I'm not concerned. Their profitability doesn't lie and next quarter will blow the roof off.
  • Reply 55 of 128
    Quote:

Ouch. The crappy global economy has finally reached Apple.

I agree with your point that the EPS is a clear miss relative to expectations. (Apple also does not do mid-quarter expectations-management with WS like many companies do, and they may lost an opportunity to talk things down; but there are pros and cons to doing that....).

But care to explain the point about the 'global economy'? What specifically about the global economy 'finally reached' Apple?
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:

Someone makes money on both sides of a trade. I have no plans to sell anytime soon... or in the long term, for that matter.

Respectfully,

In the long term we'll all be dead.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    Quote:

EPS was lower than the street consensus, and that's the only thing that matters. The first big miss in many years.

Agreed. After the dust settles there might be a buying opportunity... I'm quite sure that the holiday quarter will be on target, considering that this was mainly an iPhone miss and the iPad2 seems to still be selling quite well.

[on edit: margins were still very good]
  • Reply 58 of 128
    Quote:

You'll find your enjoyment of the site increases exponentially by blocking certain posters. The "Dr." made it early to my blocked list.

Great idea. He has been irritating me for a while.
  • Reply 59 of 128
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

You probably know better how to play the market than me. I'm extremely conservative, I buy on dips. So far though I've done very well this year doing that though.

Probably not. Still learning. I made the mistake of getting caught up in estimates, when for my own investing purposes, I always knew this quarter would be lower than last quarter before the monster in Jan.

Got to this week and let myself betray my good senses by holding on through the earnings call. That's no knock on Apple's quarter, thats just understanding that the market is emotional entity that reacts predictably in SOME cases. This was one of them.

In the end we all know where apple will be in early 2012, I just missed a little opportunity to cash in on peoples poor judgements tonight and tomorrow and certainly in Late Nov-Dec. End of the day I should be sitting at a 300% gain. Not going to bang my head against the wall because it wasn't 400-500%.

To be honest though, I am now a bit worried in that Apple has set the bar ridiculously high in guidence for next quarters results, and I now may have to reconsider whether I will sell before or after the earnings in Jan.
  • Reply 60 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

From a strategic standpoint, I'm much more interested in gross margin, which came in at 40.3%. That's still a top-tier number and shows the operating side continues well under control.

If anybody has bothered to look at the company's revenue and EPS forecast for the coming holiday quarter, it's going to be a barn-burner, even considering it will span 14 weeks rather than 13. Look for a selloff in the short-term and a great buying opportunity.

The margin numbers are good. I noticed that. I'd be more concerned if they were weaker. Company forecasts aren't worth much, but if the reflexively conservative projections from Apple are high for next quarter, then the damage from this report could be limited. Here's hoping.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I was stating facts, not sugarcoating anything. I'm having a very hard time seeing how this 'stinks' if you're looking at anything else besides analyst 'expectations'. Do they realize Apple didn't launch a new phone last quarter, as they always do? If they did, numbers would have blown away all fucking expectations. The December quarter will be insane. These analysts slobbered over themselves with expectations that weren't realistic at all, yet Apple is supposed to magically exceed whatever the hell they come up with? Right. They had $8 Billion more revenue than last year. That's perspective.

Because in the markets, expectations are everything. If this is seen as a trend, or just a hiccup, investors will react accordingly. You can't expect anything better or worse from the markets.

BTW, this is a post I made in another thread hours before this earnings report was released:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...96#post1968578

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

What explanation do you expect from them? What numbers in particular do you need to draw a conclusion, given that you already know they've sold 4M iphones in the last week not counting 3GS or 4's sold?

Your conclusion that its global economy hitting apple doesn't make a lick of sense with the numbers you've already got.

As others have suggested, Apple might explain that iPhone sales were under what they might have been because of the transition. Stuff like that. Expressions of confidence from the company that they aren't actually seeing a reduction in the rate of growth of their key product are helpful, because that's the kind of thing investors worry about.