Google, Samsung unveil Galaxy Nexus phone running Android 4.0

Comments

• Reply 141 of 182
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

You aren't going to get much more unbiased than the official Google Android Development Center. Those are the numbers that are quoted everywhere and used as the benchmark for future development. It's as close and as good as it gets.

"You're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts."

ROTFLMAO. Google isn't biased? They don't have an incentive to make it look like people are adopting Android quickly? Sorry, I wouldn't accept figures like that from Apple and I sure as heck wouldn't accept them from Google-especially considering the way Google distorts the truth by using 'activations' rather than 'sales'.

And I notice that you completely ignored my explanation of why the figures are inaccurate. They are looking only at access to the Android market - which is very biased toward new phones.

Care to look at an unbiased source? So far, all I see are people republishing the same numbers that Google gives them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

So only people with new phones go to the Market? . I have a friend with an old T-Mobile MyTouch 3G that would love to argue that

I never said that only people with new phones go to the Market. You really need to take a reading comprehension class.

What I said is that a report based on the number of people who go to the market is biased toward new phones. I don't recall where I read it, but the overwhelming majority of apps are downloaded within a couple of weeks of getting a new phone. Some of that is experimentation and some is the simple fact that after you have the apps you need, you will slow down on adding new ones. In my own case, I downloaded about 50 apps for my iPhone in the first week - and probably 10 in the 16 months since then.
  • Reply 142 of 182
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 143 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ah, it's an interesting start. The key is to open up an API for Siri just like they did for Push services and so on. Rather than depending on Apple to do all the required localisations.

Things I'd like to do, besides Maps of course.

"Siri, which is cheaper right now, Fourex or Tooheys New?"

"Give me directions to the nearest Bottle-O"

"Siri... mate... I am so bloody wasted. Call a bloody cab for me, will ya?"

Siri responds: You are already home.

"In that case... drunk dial my ex-girlfriend for me and ask her to come over for a shag!"

In all seriousness though, Siri is as big as multi-touch was. At first it feels weird. But after a while. You just want to talk to it to do everything for you. Like opening up the API would allow eBay to allow their app to respond to things like, "Siri, how am I doing on eBay?". Weather and Stocks is like when there was no App Store. Siri-enabled apps will be the next App Gold Rush. Since Apple has to bear increased server loads processing Siri, Siri-enabled apps might have to be 60-40 instead of 70-30 revenue sharing. Or, Apple may simply absorb the costs just like they've absorbed iCloud, Push notifications and so on.

Ha!

Totally agree with the last.

Siri is big... really big!

Within 2 years we'll be talking to all our devices -- directly or through a proxy like a phone or a computer.

We won't use Siri for everything -- just for the things that make our life easier or better.

"Siri: copy the last paragraph of the above quoted post and text it to my daughter... include the URL".

"Siri: find any videos or pictures later than January 2007 that show closeups of Braden and his sister -- put them in my todo folder"

"Siri: Schedule a lunch with Scott and Tim" (implied; match everyones schedules, schedule, notify, confirm and set reminders)

"Siri buy that new app on the app store named 'Magical' and send it to my grandson with a note... Have fun-- thinking about you!" (Siri will tell him it's from "Grandpa Wonderful").

"Siri: Tom has an earache, call the doctor and schedule and appointment after 9AM" (Siri makes the appointment, confirms, then clears [my son] Tom's and my schedules accordingly, with appropriate notifications... school, soccer practice, etc.)

"Siri: I saw a web site that was selling wood iPhone cases, can you find it?"

Siri: "Based on your web traffic, I found this..."

"Yes that's the one... Buy a wenge case for the 4S"

Siri: "Wenge is out of stock, but bamboo, oak and walnut are available"

"OK, walnut"

"Siri: take the rest of the day off!"

And, like multitouch (and GUI before it), Siri will not be limited to a single company.
  • Reply 144 of 182
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what percent of the existing hardware running android will be able to upgrade?

5% if rooted( and the code is available), otherwise none.
  • Reply 145 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. Google isn't biased? They don't have an incentive to make it look like people are adopting Android quickly? Sorry, I wouldn't accept figures like that from Apple and I sure as heck wouldn't accept them from Google-especially considering the way Google distorts the truth by using 'activations' rather than 'sales'.

And I notice that you completely ignored my explanation of why the figures are inaccurate. They are looking only at access to the Android market - which is very biased toward new phones.

Care to look at an unbiased source? So far, all I see are people republishing the same numbers that Google gives them.

I never said that only people with new phones go to the Market. You really need to take a reading comprehension class.

What I said is that a report based on the number of people who go to the market is biased toward new phones. I don't recall where I read it, but the overwhelming majority of apps are downloaded within a couple of weeks of getting a new phone. Some of that is experimentation and some is the simple fact that after you have the apps you need, you will slow down on adding new ones. In my own case, I downloaded about 50 apps for my iPhone in the first week - and probably 10 in the 16 months since then.

Considering I do development work, their stats ARE accurate as they pretty much match up with our own for the apps and sites we maintain (cross platform). Google, nor Apple have an incentive to lie to the people who support the platforms to keep their customer base happy. But hey feel free to wear whatever tin foil hat you like if it helps you sleep at night, but you are factually wrong. Period. What's your axe to grind anyway? Your use of "ROTFLMAO" only makes me assume you're either just trolling or too immature to understand how to support an ecosystem.

PS - I can read, I didn't need to comment on how the stats are generated. There is also a trend chart trailing months showing that the snapshots are accurate. Do you know how statistics work? And how is Google supposed to report sales?! They have to report activations, they don't manufacture phones (including the Nexus), software side is all they see. If you want sales ask Samsung, HTC, or Motorola.
  • Reply 146 of 182
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Please, you are just being ridiculous. It's obvious that the original graph couldn't be 'biased' as you said since it's supposed to be information for DEVELOPERS, not customers.
  • Reply 147 of 182
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    Quote:

I personally feel the use of "activations" rather than sales is a much more fair measuring stick. It keeps Android devices still sitting on shelves somewhere from being included in the count. FWIW Apple counts a device sale once it leaves their custody and care. In other words once it's shipped (as a rule) to Best Buy, Walmart, Verizon, Sprint, whoever, the sale is counted even tho it may still be in a stockroom or on the shelf. Since Google doesn't actually sell any of the devices directly, and reporting periods seem to vary from vendor to vendor, activations is the most accurate measure IMO.

As for an "unbiased source", do you have a source for unbiased Apple news as an example of the sort of reporting you trust? Curious what level of verification you need since vendor/producer/manufacturer reports don't seem to please you.
  • Reply 148 of 182
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The phone specs look pretty good to me.
    Galaxy Nexus

Network HSPA+ 21 850/900/1900/1700/2100; 850/900/1800/1900 EDGE/GPRS (LTE will be available depending on region)

Processor1.2GHz dual-core processor

Display: 4.65-inch 1280 x 720 HD Super AMOLED

Cameras:Rear cam: 5-megapixel, Front cam: 1.3-megapixel for video call

Video: Playback and recording at 1080p (30fps, MPEG-4/h.263/h.264)

Connectivity:Bluetooth 3.0, USB, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, NFC

Sensors: Accelerometer, compass, gyro, light, proximity, barometer

Memory: 1GB ram + 16/32GB storage

Battery: 1750mah standard battery

Size: 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94; 135g

Really?

Yes, though I'd still say iOS just has a better experience (and why they've only had to refine it since day 1)...

Though Android is getting better... but fanboys like those who post here would hold up a iPhone with a blank screen and no functionality and claim how it was the greatest thing ever invented and worth any price... they have no capacity for insight or analysis
  • Reply 149 of 182
    Quote:

If you bought a phone less than a year ago with only 1.6 that is your problem and probably means you went for something that was the cheapest option available or that was free. 2.1 has been out for 2 years now. and 2.3 is also a year old. Even a year ago all major phones shipped with 2.2 No one can help you there.

This is the key problem with Android. With iOS, you get a phone that always has the latest iteration of the OS on it that the device can handle, independent of the carriers, and even if you can't afford maybe the latest hardware. If I went to any carrier in the world now and bought an iPhone 3GS (assuming it wasn't a backstock model) it would come with iOS 5 preinstalled.

Name one Android phone that has received that treatment. It is impossible to dispute that the iOS experience is vastly superior in this respect, unless you want anyone to somehow believe that it is a good thing that the latest tasty dessert iteration of Android is not pushed out by Google or the manufacturers to every piece of hardware that can run it.

The downside of course is that you have to then put up with Apple's sometimes frustrating feature set decisions...like excluding the iPad 1 from multitasking gestures for example, Siri on the other iPhones for another... (and let's not talk about customization here, because it is just as complicated and shares the same amount of risk whether you are jailbreaking an iDevice or rooting your Android device - it also results in the same rewards - full freedom)

However, on balance, I would much rather go with always being able to have the latest version and miss out on one or two mostly minor features, than be stuck on an outdated and incompatible version of software that won't run new apps coming out, for example.

What Android phone can match the 3GS in terms of official support for the latest OS? 3 full years and counting - for a phone that is epic...

Or am I way off base?
  • Reply 150 of 182
    Quote:

That's irrelevant. You are incorrectly assuming that you have to download apps in order to connect to the Market. Android phones connect to the Android Market several times a day to check for updates...Similar to what the iPhone does to Apple's App Store. (On top of the fact that Android apps have the option of updating automatically). The only way you could avoid being counted by a survey taken from visitors of the Market would be to never have your phone connected to the internet. Ever. Now how many people do you think are doing that?

I understand that you should look at sources with skepticism in order to see bias, but you're just acting plain crazy. And child please; I don't need a crazy person's advice on what classes I should or should not be taking
  • Reply 151 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

This is the key problem with Android. With iOS, you get a phone that always has the latest iteration of the OS on it that the device can handle, independent of the carriers, and even if you can't afford maybe the latest hardware. If I went to any carrier in the world now and bought an iPhone 3GS (assuming it wasn't a backstock model) it would fome with iOS 5 preinstalled.

Name one Android phone that has received that treatment. It is impossible to dispute that the iOS experience is vastly superior in this respect, unless you want anyone to somehow believe that it is a good thing that the latest tasty dessert iteration of Android is not pushed out by Google or the manufacturers to every piece of hardware that can run it.

The downside of course is that you have to then put up with Apple's sometimes frustrating feature set decisions...like excluding the iPad 1 from multitasking gestures for example, Siri on the other iPhones for another... (and let's not talk about customization here, because it is just as complicated and shares the same amount of risk whether you are jailbreaking an iDevice or rooting your Android device - it also results in the same rewards - full freedom)

However, on balance, I would much rather go with always being able to have the latest version and miss out on one or two mostly minor features, than be stuck on an outdated and incompatible version of software that won't run new apps coming out, for example.

What Android phone can match the 3GS in terms of official support for the latest OS? 3 full years and counting - for a phone that is epic...

Or am I way off base?

problem? no...issue? yes. Most people are blissfully ignorant of such occurences but it is still something that needs to be addressed...hopefully the comicbookishly named Android Update Alliance (or whatever) can fix this from here on out.
  • Reply 152 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

This is the key problem with Android. With iOS, you get a phone that always has the latest iteration of the OS on it that the device can handle, independent of the carriers, and even if you can't afford maybe the latest hardware. If I went to any carrier in the world now and bought an iPhone 3GS (assuming it wasn't a backstock model) it would fome with iOS 5 preinstalled.

Or am I way off base?

You're pretty spot on, but I'd submit a few things in addition. I do know some 3GS owners who wish they could STILL be on 3.x as they found it to have better performance instead of being pushed forward.

You're right about the Android update system being a mess and support drops off pretty quick but I'd have to say Motorola does the best job out of all of them. The Droid X was shipped with 2.1, got 2.2 and was the first non Nexus phone to see 2.3, though I doubt it'll see 4.0 (officially anyway).

The difference is, there are 2 groups of Android users, those who don't care what version they are on or about updates (unless there's a major bug) and those that must be on the bleeding edge. The first group doesn't complain and the second finds a way to update on their own. The separation is Apple does NOT want a jailbreak community. Google essentially condones rooting. The OEMs may not, but with Samsung and HTC offering easy unlock methods, the prospect of customizing and staying up to date on your own is much easier. Now, that in no way excuses the fragmentation of updates that exists but it's easier to live with. Also until this 4.0, short of the JIT compiler in 2.2, there really hasn't fundamentally been that many changes since 2.1

Just food for thought.
  • Reply 153 of 182
    Quote:

You're pretty spot on, but I'd submit a few things in addition. I do know some 3GS owners who wish they could STILL be on 3.x as they found it to have better performance instead of being pushed forward.

You're right about the Android update system being a mess and support drops off pretty quick but I'd have to say Motorola does the best job out of all of them. The Droid X was shipped with 2.1, got 2.2 and was the first non Nexus phone to see 2.3, though I doubt it'll see 4.0 (officially anyway).

The difference is, there are 2 groups of Android users, those who don't care what version they are on or about updates (unless there's a major bug) and those that must be on the bleeding edge. The first group doesn't complain and the second finds a way to update on their own. The separation is Apple does NOT want a jailbreak community. Google essentially condones rooting. The OEMs may not, but with Samsung and HTC offering easy unlock methods, the prospect of customizing and staying up to date on your own is much easier. Now, that in no way excuses the fragmentation of updates that exists but it's easier to live with. Also until this 4.0, short of the JIT compiler in 2.2, there really hasn't fundamentally been that many changes since 2.1

Just food for thought.

I agree with just about everything you said, except that. Motorola is fighting Samsung for the title of "Least update concerned OEM." The Droid X is actually odd in terms of what Motorla usually does (and fyi, the Evo 4G was the first non Nexus phone to get GB ). While they aren't as bad as Samsung, Motorola only upgrades their most recent phones (if that). I'll try and look for the graphic, but someone showed that nearly 50% of all the Android phones stuck at 1.X are Motorola phones. If you do not wish to root your phone but want to stay on top of things, HTC has been proven to be the best at upgrading and upgrading quickly (I will search for that link as well if I have time ).
  • Reply 154 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I agree with just about everything you said, except that. Motorola is fighting Samsung for the title of "Least update concerned OEM." The Droid X is actually odd in terms of what Motorla usually does (and fyi, the Evo 4G was the first non Nexus phone to get GB ). While they aren't as bad as Samsung, Motorola only upgrades their most recent phones (if that). I'll try and look for the graphic, but someone showed that nearly 50% of all the Android phones stuck at 1.X are Motorola phones. If you do not wish to root your phone but want to stay on top of things, HTC has been proven to be the best at upgrading and upgrading quickly (I will search for that link as well if I have time ).

Unfortunately you're off here. The Droid X got 2.3 (2nd half of May) about 1-2 weeks ahead of the Evo 4G (June 3rd). Further I'd have to disagree, the survey you're talking about was from last January and pretty old at this point. Right now Motorola's entire DROID lineup with the exception of the original (no longer supported) is now running 2.3. HTC is all over the map. Ask the Thunderbolt owners who have been waiting for 2.3 since March....or the Incredible owners who waited forever. It really varies on carrier too....

Point is Android upgrades are a disaster.
  • Reply 155 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

5% if rooted( and the code is available), otherwise none.

Google said any current 2.3 device.

If the OEM doesn't push it out, that's the great thing about open source. CM9 will be available to 60+ devices at once. Because the Nexus S will be getting it, I would imagine any single core phone at 1ghz would handle it just fine. (every major android for the last year and a half)

By the way, aside from Apple ]['s comment, there's been some great discussion in this thread. I'm enjoying it
  • Reply 156 of 182
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha!

Totally agree with the last.

Siri is big... really big!

Within 2 years we'll be talking to all our devices -- directly or through a proxy like a phone or a computer.

And, like multitouch (and GUI before it), Siri will not be limited to a single company.

That's all well and good dick, but what I was trying to say is that a significant part of what it does is not functional for more than half the people apple was pitching it at during their keynote.

That's probably a discussion for elsewhere though
  • Reply 157 of 182
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Did Google even have a beta period of Android 4? Do they care?

Every single Android 3.0 tablet review I read, they wrote about bugs, crashes and other fun stuff. Apple at least have 3 month "open" beta of iOS.

Just releasing software and later patch the issue is classic PC thinking. (And Apple have adopted it in OSX)
  • Reply 158 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Did Google even have a beta period of Android 4? Do they care?

Every single Android 3.0 tablet review I read, they wrote about bugs, crashes and other fun stuff. Apple at least have 3 month "open" beta of iOS.

Just releasing software and later patch the issue is classic PC thinking. (And Apple have adopted it in OSX)

Wait, what? What does this have to do with the Galaxy Nexus?

Bugs are usually the fault of the OEMs. I have owned an Asus Transformer for a while now and have yet to experience instability, a crash, or lag.

There was no open beta of ios.
  • Reply 159 of 182
    this is kind of tongue-in-cheek interesting....I'm sure it'll start a war.

• Reply 160 of 182
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:

this is kind of tongue-in-cheek interesting....I'm sure it'll start a war.

I'm loling so hard now.