Samsung Galaxy Nexus screen held back by subpar subpixels

Comments

• Reply 41 of 199
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I new the minute I saw that headline that this was written by DED.

Other than it's "knew" - exactly the thought I had.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Non sequitur. Stick to the topic.

Yessir, sir! Hup ho! Stay lively there you commentors!!

Except who died and made you the admin of the thread.....?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Who or what is DED?

Well... ...wait, it's already up.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Daniel Eran Dilger, also known for roughlydrafted.com

And a real person, if one of the world's truest Apple fanatics. The real question is who or what is (a) Slash Lane?? But somebody beat me to that too.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Just to add context, Slash is one of his known aliases. Though even if it was unknown, DED's Title choices and wording style is fairly easy to spot.

To say the least. Love 'im or hate 'im, the most distinctive in all of Mac-blogdom.....
  • Reply 42 of 199
    Great. Samsung has a bigger screen. I'm happy for them. Let's see how it sells. If it still can't outsell the iPhone 4S (and I'm talking about the Nexus all on its own) then Samsung has played its hand and, in my opinion, lost. Later, when Apple introduces a larger screen, what's Samsung going to do... offer an even larger screen. Hardly. When Apple introduces a larger screen then watch what happens. Android better offer some real fancy dancy shit because Samsung has few places to go after this. jmho
  • Reply 43 of 199
    Quote:

like I suspected at that high of a resolution (especially at a screen smaller than the Samsung Note they used) the pentile display will hardly be an issue.

Of course I'll wait and see for myself.
  • Reply 44 of 199
    Quote:

Oh wait, never mind. Apparently the problems with Android are not just the conspiracy cocktails of one person, but fetid, gravid and endemic.

No kidding. His fanciful stories are identifiable a mile away.
  • Reply 45 of 199
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Oh wait, never mind. Apparently the problems with Android are not just the conspiracy cocktails of one person, but fetid, gravid and endemic.

I would like AppleInsider to list the author of each article in the headlines. That way I can better decide which articles I want to read and which to skip.
  • Reply 46 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Who or what is DED?

DED = Daniel Eran Dilger

He goes by several pen names, one of them is "Slash Lane". Why in the hell he goes by several monikers is beyond me.
  • Reply 47 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

Slash Lane is DED to me.

Best line of the day!

• Reply 48 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I would like AppleInsider to list the author of each article in the headlines. That way I better decide which articles I want to read and which to skip.

I second that. More disclosure on their part would aid in the culling of wheat from chaff.
  • Reply 49 of 199
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Samsung, Slamslung, Slashslung, Smashslung, Scrapsung, Scrapdung, Slamdung and most of all Samscum.
  • Reply 50 of 199
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Great. Samsung has a bigger screen. I'm happy for them. Let's see how it sells. If it still can't outsell the iPhone 4S (and I'm talking about the Nexus all on its own) then Samsung has played its hand and, in my opinion, lost. Later, when Apple introduces a larger screen, what's Samsung going to do... offer an even larger screen. Hardly. When Apple introduces a larger screen then watch what happens. Android better offer some real fancy dancy shit because Samsung has few places to go after this. jmho

If you think this is a valid argument, you REALLY don't understand the mobile phone landscape, let alone the concept of the Nexus devices.
  • Reply 51 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

If you think this is a valid argument, you REALLY don't understand the mobile phone landscape.

Argument? Huh?

Please... explain the mobile phone landscape to all of us. We're dying to hear you tell us all about it.
  • Reply 52 of 199
    Quote:

Of course it won't sell as much. Nobody ever expected it to either. Samsung won't need that many sales to be successful. They have plenty of phone from the Focus series to other galaxy phones. Apple has only 2 models.

Why compare sales on the individual phone? Let's compare all Android phones sold by Samsung the last 6 months vs all iphones sold by Apple the last 6 months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just curious - how do you know if EVERYONE's impression is so overwhelmingly positive if you don't know anyone who has used one?

Oh, I get it. You're telling us what Samsung wants you to say.....

Because everyone that handled the device reported on their impressions of the device.

Everyone loved it.

Don't see why this is hard to understand...
  • Reply 53 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Of course it won't sell as much. Nobody ever expected it to either. Samsung won't need that many sales to be successful. They have plenty of phone from the Focus series to other galaxy phones. Apple has only 2 models.

Why compare sales on the individual phone? Let's compare all Android phones sold by Samsung the last 6 months vs all iphones sold by Apple the last 6 months.

... and they'd be almost equal... wouldn't you say.

Now get back to me in another 3 months, let's see how that goes.

What's your point?

As far as anyone expecting it to outsell the iPhone... shit, from some of the android fans on here you'd think the Nexus was the next jesus phone.
  • Reply 54 of 199
    Quote:

Argument? Huh?

Please... explain the mobile phone landscape to all of us. We're dying to hear you tell us all about it.

See the post beneath yours. Pretty simple. \
  • Reply 55 of 199
    Quote:

See the post beneath yours. Pretty simple. \

Are you two the same person?

Let him explain it... please.
  • Reply 56 of 199
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I, myself, am not a huge fan of Pentile arrangements (especially in RGBG form) but we are approaching the point where you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference due to the high ppi.

Does the galaxy nexus achieve indistinguishably? I don't know; nor will I until I play with the device myself. However, as mentioned, the people who HAVE used the device have yet to fault the screen, so that leaves me hopeful.
  • Reply 57 of 199
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Android blows.
  • Reply 58 of 199
    Quote:

At that PPI, you would have to put it under a microscope to see subpixels.

Let me tell you from a totally unbiased perspective that such is not the case. I used a Motorola Droid (amazing screen) for a few months before switching to Nexus One. My first thought was "what a crappy screen!" As I continued using it for 1.5+ years, the PenTile arrangement kept getting on my nerves. It's not only easily perceivable, for anyone who cares about display quality and font rendering, it is a big annoyance. Vertical lines appear zigzag and small text looks funky.

The difference between a PenTile oled and a regular IPS LCD is quite noticeable. Granted that Nexus One's subpixel resolution is lower than that of galaxy nexus, but I am still skeptical at the claim that it will be unnoticeable.

Currently I use an iPhone 4S, and I am glad to see that my two favorite phones (4S and Moto Droid) in terms of display quality are also the top two screens in pure numerical terms (see 2nd chart on the anandtech article).
  • Reply 59 of 199
    Quote:

Are you two the same person?

Let him explain it... please.

Too late. Already explained. You have lost your argument sir.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I, myself, am not a huge fan of Pentile arrangements (especially in RGBG form) but we are approaching the point where you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference due to the high ppi.

Does the galaxy nexus achieve indistinguishably? I don't know; nor will I until I play with the device myself. However, as mentioned, the people who HAVE used the device have yet to fault the screen, so that leaves me hopeful.

Exactly. Nothing but amazing reviews of the screen quality so far. This will have better contast than any LCD screen, iphone included.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android blows.

Apple ][ is at it again. Intelligent comment. You're the type of person that makes the Apple fanboy community look bad.
  • Reply 60 of 199
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Why don't we first see the screen and decide how good it is afterwards?

Anyway, it may be instructive to remember that the density of red, green and blue sensitive rods in the fovea centralis is different, which is one of the rationales behind some video codecs, as well as the pentile AMOLED. Thus, depending on their color, subpixels become distinguishable at a different density. The "Retina criterion" simplifies this concept by addressing white-only pixels.

Based on the available information, it may be inferred that the subpixel types in the Galaxy Nexus satisfy the "Retina criterion" when looked at separately. Displays that have identical densities for all different color subpixels would offer no additional advantage to a normal human eye. Color aberrations that have been visible in lower-resolution pentile displays should become invisible to an unarmed eye at this high (sub)pixel density.