Apple slips to No. 5 global handset maker, No. 2 in smartphones after iPhone transition quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    Nothing like a little competition to keep Apple on its toes.

As I've said before, though, at some point Apple will match all of Samsung's "selling" points, Samsung will slowly run out of steam, its smartphone growth will slow and Apple will just keep rolling forward.

It's the ecosystem, stupid...

BTW... let's revisit this thread at the end of January...

as always... jmho
  • Reply 62 of 105
    Apple's lawsuits are gonna drive them into the ground. Start innovating and stop suing (they've been playing catchup lately). The Galaxy line is proving to be a fierce competitior.

We all seen the reaction of how people were dissapointed with the 4S (great phone, BTW). I'm not counting sales as factor (for now) because it oh so happened right within the timeline of Mr. Job's death and all the publicity Apple has been getting.

Next year will definately be a true test for Apple's viablity. Hopefully the 6th gen iPhone will prove to be great.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Nothing like a little competition to keep Apple on its toes.

As I've said before, though, at some point Apple will match all of Samsung's "selling" points, Samsung will slowly run out of steam, its smartphone growth will slow and Apple will just keep rolling forward.

It's the ecosystem, stupid...

BTW... let's revisit this thread at the end of January...

as always... jmho

I think you mean the reverse. Not everyone cares about an 'ecosystem'. Apple doesn't have infinite black (AKA SUPER AMOLED) on the iPhone. Samsung phones had notifacations BEFORE Apple.....

I think it's unfair to say 'catching up' as Apple does things their own way...
  • Reply 64 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I think you mean the reverse. Not everyone cares about an 'ecosystem'. Apple doesn't have infinite black (AKA SUPER AMOLED) on the iPhone. Samsung phones had notifacations BEFORE Apple.....

I think it's unfair to say 'catching up' as Apple does things their own way...

I have nothing but time... we'll revisit this thread in another 3 months and then you'll be making up some other silly ass arguments as to why Samsung is 6 million or more smartphone sales "behind" Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

Well, it doesn't matter what their profit margin is. We as consumers are paying the same base prices for iphones as people do for android phones. As far as I'm concerned I paid $199. With or without the iphone, I would still have a cell phone bill. Unlike other nitpickers, I calculate the monthly bill as part of my cost of service rather than cost of phone.

Use any smartphone and the wireless bill remains the same, in contract or out. I was out of contract since Jan 2011 and had recently signed a contract for the 4s. Needless to say, my bill didn't miraculously go up after signing the contract nor did it go down when my contract expired in Jan..

The whole "apple products cost more" myth is just that, a myth.

Then you need some help selecting a phone plan. We have two unlocked iPhones in the family and certainly don't pay anything close to the egregious rates ATT charges for subsidized or wholly owned phones. Like less than half with more minutes and gb's. Yes, I have 2G download speeds. And from Florida up to Washington DC where I spend a lot of time, 2G is just as fast as the crap 3G signal I can get on our iPad 3G (ATT), when I can get a signal.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think it's more likely that both will continue to do well. I see no harm in having more than one viable company in the world.

I actually didn't think my post implied anything other than that. Slowing sales does not meant that I want Samsung dead... see the very first sentence in my comment.

Quote:

There's an interesting point, but in ways that may not be obvious to folks who don't develop for both:

Half of Americans are employed in small businesses, and many of the businesses could benefit from custom mobile apps.

But have you looked into Apple's requirements for deploying apps within your business? Even the strongest Apple fans describe them politely as onerous, and more candidly using words unfit for posting on this forum. Suffice to say that deploying outside of the Apple AppStore is very, very difficult.

Meanwhile, to deploy an Android app among your employees' phones or tablets is as simple as turning off the third-part lock and copying the .apk file to the device. No permissions needed from the mother ship, no complicated provisioning protocol, no need to send bank statements, D&B records, and other reams of paperwork to some company to ask permission.

The productivity differences for deploying custom apps for each platform are so significant that I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a major obstacle for Apple in 2012, requiring them to introduce an option for more streamlined deployment of custom apps. The current system is at the edge of cost-prohibitive for many businesses.

... and I agree. I've read a couple of reports stating that development for Android is preferred over developing for iOS for the very reasons that you state. Apple has to find a way to give up some of the control but still keep its tightly integrated system... not an easy task but maybe a road that Cook will revisit now that he has the reins.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:

I have nothing but time... we'll revisit this thread in another 3 months and then you'll be making up some other silly ass arguments as to why Samsung is 6 million or more smartphone sales "behind" Apple.

But that's NOT now. THat's nto the argument. RIGHT NOW, Apple slipped to No.5. Stop making blanketed, fanboyish statements. Markets change all the time, so it's a moot point to say that because that's not proving anything. If Apple was THAT viable, they'd stay numero uno all year....regardless if a new one was coming out or not. The Galaxy SII very much helped th void for some people who needed a phone update in March.

You obviously don't know how a buisiness operates. I can say the same thing, it's nothing but time before Apple's iPhone is no longer viable and possibly no longer a compnay. Let's revist this thread in 20+ years.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think it's more likely that both will continue to do well. I see no harm in having more than one viable company in the world.

There's an interesting point, but in ways that may not be obvious to folks who don't develop for both:

Half of Americans are employed in small businesses, and many of the businesses could benefit from custom mobile apps.

But have you looked into Apple's requirements for deploying apps within your business? Even the strongest Apple fans describe them politely as onerous, and more candidly using words unfit for posting on this forum. Suffice to say that deploying outside of the Apple AppStore is very, very difficult.

Meanwhile, to deploy an Android app among your employees' phones or tablets is as simple as turning off the third-part lock and copying the .apk file to the device. No permissions needed from the mother ship, no complicated provisioning protocol, no need to send bank statements, D&B records, and other reams of paperwork to some company to ask permission.

The productivity differences for deploying custom apps for each platform are so significant that I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a major obstacle for Apple in 2012, requiring them to introduce an option for more streamlined deployment of custom apps. The current system is at the edge of cost-prohibitive for many businesses.

All of this is very true.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:

But that's NOT now. THat's nto the argument. RIGHT NOW, Apple slipped to No.5. Stop making blanketed, fanboyish statements. Markets change all the time, so it's a moot point to say that because that's not proving anything. If Apple was THAT viable, they'd stay numero uno all year....regardless if a new one was coming out or not. The Galaxy SII very much helped th void for some people who needed a phone update in March.

You obviously don't know how a buisiness operates. I can say the same thing, it's nothing but time before Apple's iPhone is no longer viable and possibly no longer a compnay. Let's revist this thread in 20+ years.

What's your point?

... and, btw, that is how business operates... they don't look at one quarter's growth... they look far into the future. You seem to be stuck on this rah rah our team is winning... ha ha thing. I'm saying, let's have a look at how both companies operate. One is tightly integrated and controls both hardware and software... the other controls hardware but has little or no control over software. How far into the future can Samsung look as compared to Apple?
  • Reply 71 of 105
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Apple's lawsuits are gonna drive them into the ground. Start innovating and stop suing (they've been playing catchup lately). The Galaxy line is proving to be a fierce competitior.

We all seen the reaction of how people were dissapointed with the 4S (great phone, BTW). I'm not counting sales as factor (for now) because it oh so happened right within the timeline of Mr. Job's death and all the publicity Apple has been getting.

Next year will definately be a true test for Apple's viablity. Hopefully the 6th gen iPhone will prove to be great.

Apple is playing catch-up? Android, as an OS, appears to be dead in the water at this point. ICS, with its absurdly spartan feature list, came a year after the last update on phones (2.3), which itself was a minor update. They've basically disowned 3.x, saying it was rushed, and they're no longer going to have a tablet version of the OS. If Apple had done the same thing, we'd be hearing about how Apple, a company with revenue and profits that dwarf Google's, is doomed. But because it's Google, and nobody is eagerly anticipating Google's demise, it's hardly being acknowledged. It's obvious Google made a huge misstep. Meanwhile, Apple has been spoiling its users with new features.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Apple is playing catch-up? Android, as an OS, appears to be dead in the water at this point. ICS, with its absurdly spartan feature list, came a year after the last update on phones (2.3), which itself was a minor update. They've basically disowned 3.x, saying it was rushed, and they're no longer going to have a tablet version of the OS. If Apple had done the same thing, we'd be hearing about how Apple, a company with revenue and profits that dwarf Google's, is doomed. But because it's Google, and nobody is eagerly anticipating Google's demise, it's hardly being acknowledged. It's obvious Google made a huge misstep. Meanwhile, Apple has been spoiling its users with new features.

How is it dead in the water when Android phones overall are outpacing iPhones?

I think it depends on the company. If you switched OSes for the companies, fanboys now suddenly thing the other feature is cool. It'd be 'revolutionary' if Apple had face unlock. Hell, look at the way Android fanboys reacted when Siri was announced....saying it was stupid.....the very same feature they were praising Android for.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Quote:

How is it dead in the water when Android phones overall are outpacing iPhones?

You have to remember that Android == OS on Multiple Phones, where iPhone == 1 Product line.

The reason for the outpacing is the plethora of handsets to choose from, and people will choose the best one that matches their shoes. No single Android phone has outsold a single iPhone. That has to account for a lot.

Quote:

I think it depends on the company. If you switched OSes for the companies, fanboys now suddenly thing the other feature is cool. It'd be 'revolutionary' if Apple had face unlock. Hell, look at the way Android fanboys reacted when Siri was announced....saying it was stupid.....the very same feature they were praising Android for.

Fanboys are fickle things, aren't they?
  • Reply 74 of 105
    Quote:

What's your point?

... and, btw, that is how business operates... they don't look at one quarter's growth... they look far into the future. You seem to be stuck on this rah rah our team is winning... ha ha thing. I'm saying, let's have a look at how both companies operate. One is tightly integrated and controls both hardware and software... the other controls hardware but has little or no control over software. How far into the future can Samsung look as compared to Apple?

Quite viable, actually. Samsung is a very strong brand that is huge in many other industries.

Stuck on, 'our team is winning'? You're mistaken. I have an iPhone 4S, switching from my Samsung Vibrant. You own an Android phone? I like competition in business and want Samsung to thrive of course. Just as any company. As much of a Nintendo fanboy I am, I was rooting for SONY when the PS3 was down.

Apple can very much fall because, they purposely leave out features. If Apple can implement the features well, then people will return. But look at the history of Apple....some of that mentality 'caused the to falter.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Quite clearly, people don't buy iPhones because they want a touchscreen, a CPU, a battery and a camera, plus assembly. They're buying the latest OS version and the promise of regular updates. They're buying access to a well-stocked, curated app market. They're buying into a set of services. They're buying exceptional support. They're buying into a media ecosystem. They're buying into an incredible track record of innovation, much of which has been delivered to existing users free of cost.

I would not doubt that those factors are important to some smartphone buyers.

But if they were crucial, then why do Android phones outsell iOS phones by a more than 2 to 1 margin?

From what I have seen the higher priced Android phones are the most popular, so I doubt that price is the a big factor for most Smartphone buyers. I wonder how important any of the the factors you list are to the average smartphone buyer.

For example, recent press said that many Android handsets are not updated to the most recent OS rev. So while it may or may not be true that "They're buying the latest OS version and the promise of regular updates." when people go with an iOS phone, it does not seem to be true of most smartphone buyers.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

You have to remember that Android == OS on Multiple Phones, where iPhone == 1 Product line.

The reason for the outpacing is the plethora of handsets to choose from, and people will choose the best one that matches their shoes. No single Android phone has outsold a single iPhone. That has to account for a lot.

Fanboys are fickle things, aren't they?

Yeah, I know. I just threw that out there, as fanboys seem to keep comparing useless things.

But Google doesn't care simply because they want to be on EVERY feature phone. That's a scary proposition.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:

Quite viable, actually. Samsung is a very strong brand that is huge in many other industries.

Stuck on, 'our team is winning'? You're mistaken. I have an iPhone 4S, switching from my Samsung Vibrant. You own an Android phone? I like competition in business and want Samsung to thrive of course. Just as any company. As much of a Nintendo fanboy I am, I was rooting for SONY when the PS3 was down.

Apple can very much fall because, they purposely leave out features. If Apple can implement the features well, then people will return. But look at the history of Apple....some of that mentality 'caused the to falter.

From reading your posts I don't believe for a minute that you have an iPhone 4S. Why would you buy a phone that, by all of your comments to date, is inferior to Samsung's phones.

If you actually bought a 4S then you would understand what I am talking about.

[you are now on ignore]
  • Reply 78 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I would not doubt that those factors are important to some smartphone buyers.

But if they were crucial, then why do Android phones outsell iOS phones by a more than 2 to 1 margin?

From what I have seen the higher priced Android phones are the most popular, so I doubt that price is the a big factor for most Smartphone buyers. I wonder how important any of the the factors you list are to the average smartphone buyer.

For example, recent press said that many Android handsets are not updated to the most recent OS rev. So while it may or may not be true that "They're buying the latest OS version and the promise of regular updates." when people go with an iOS phone, it does not seem to be true of most smartphone buyers.

This. Especially since the iPhone 3GS seems to be selling very well. I think more or less name brand plays a factor.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Quote:

From reading your posts I don't believe for a minute that you have an iPhone 4S. Why would you buy a phone that, by all of your comments to date, is inferior to Samsung's phones.

If you actually bought a 4S then you would understand what I am talking about.

[you are now on ignore]

If you look at my posts on macrumors, you can clearly see my order date from ATT.

Two iPhone 4Ses and one iPhone 4. Now that you're losing your argument, you now want to ignore. Typical. I guess if you can't handle the heat, you gotta get outta the kitchen1

Just because I'm critical of Apple, doesn't mean I don't buy their products. Quite honestly, the smoothness of iOS (how I love taking random screen shots) and no force-closing is what drew me to it. I can definately send you pics of my 4S.

I can absoultely hate Obama or Bush's policies, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends.

Edit: I also find it creepy that you're reading my post history.