Apple slips to No. 5 global handset maker, No. 2 in smartphones after iPhone transition quarter

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I'd like to see Asus get into the Android and WP7 business... Amazing build quality from everything else. They really came out of nowhere.

Actually they are not "coming from nowhere", they have been well-known for years in the hardware PC components manufacturing, among others.
  • Reply 102 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't understand why people care about bragging rights in marketshare or profits in the first place.

All I care about is the fact that I have an excellent phone that serves its purpose (iPhone 4). The other stuff is of little concern really to the average consumer. In fact, it's only people on forums like these and investors that care about this kind of stuff. 95% of iPhone/Android users don't give a ****.

Indeed. Unless from a shareholder that well know kind of "thinking" (brand boot-licking, rejoicing that a brand make more money on your back than the competition, lol) is as pathetic as scary.
  • Reply 103 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm assuming Apple will blow Samsung out of the water this quarter. There's the small issue of them not launching a single phone last quarter. 4S sales will be monster by the end of the year, as will 3GS (Free on contract). Samsung can enjoy their gloating while it lasts.

Lol, with the mid-november upcoming Galaxy Nexus, among others, they are set to gloat far longer than Apple did from the top place... Wait and see. They will also have smartphones with flexible screens in 2012 so it will be interesting to watch.
  • Reply 104 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

The phones without wireless service is just an expensive ipod touch. Why don't you compare the costs of a 32gb ipod touch instead since you're not including wireless service. I believe it's around $299.

Are you trying to be consciously obnoxious or are you complete unaware how the market works outside of the united states? My phone has 3g access anywhere in the world i travel. I pay no monthly fee.
  • Reply 105 of 105
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They absolutely won the race to the bottom, giving away iPhones for free. I'll be interested to see how the loss-leader strategy will work out for them. AFAIK, Apple has never tried to capture the bottom segment of any market, not until now.

"I see ham-handed attempts to distract and confuse here all the time."