HP takes aim at Apple's MacBook Air with new $900 Folio13 Ultrabook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This computer is a product of a company that doesn't know what it's doing anymore. Stay far away.

Yup. They "had" me at HP.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

So contrary to all evidence, you are saying there exists a premium market in the Microsoft clone world? Care to show us this new evidence of such a thing? DUH?

Does he have too? Considering MS still has something like 90% market share in desktop OS, I am confident some of that market share is in the premium market.

Oh, what "evidence" is he contradicting?
  • Reply 23 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope the trackpad works well. The HP Envy had promise but when the reviewers stated you had to use an external mouse to get anything done it kind of ruins the concept of a $2000+ notebook.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Specs

HP Folio

Price: $900

Dimensions (w/h/d mm): 318/18/221mm

Weight: 1.49Kg

Storage: 128GB Flash

RAM: 4GB

CPU: 1.4GHz dual-core intel Core i3

Resolution: 1366x768

Backlit Keyboard

Ports: Ethernet/Card reader/USB2.0/USB3.0/VGA/HDMI

Wireless interfaces: WiFi a/b/g/n

13 Macbook Air

Price: $1,299

Dimensions (w/h/d mm): 325/3-17/227mm

Weight: 1.35Kg

Storage: 128GB Flash

CPU: 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Resolution: 1440x900

Backlit Keyboard

Ports: USB2.0/Thunderbolt/SD

Wireless interfaces: WiFi a/b/g/n Bluetooth 4.0

To be honest the Folio probably should be compared against the 11 inch Macbook Air but even then the 11" Air outclasses the folio with its 1.6ghz i5 CPU or even...

Macbook Pro 13"

Price: $1,199

Dimensions (w/h/d mm): 325/24/227 mm

Weight: 2.04Kg

Storage: 500GB HDD

CPU: 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Resolution: 1280x800

Backlit Keyboard

Ports: Ethernet/Firewire 800/USB2.0/Thunderbolt/Audio in/out/SDXC

Wireless interfaces: WiFi a/b/g/n Bluetooth 2.1
  • Reply 25 of 106
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    The innovative design is so far out ahead of ... err wait. Never mind.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    It's not intended to appeal to Mac aficionados, but Windows users who want a lighter/thinner laptop. If I was in the market, for a Windows laptop, I'd go for a Dell XPS 14z. The major advantage of the MacBook Air, besides still being lighter and thinner, is the ability to dual-boot both MacOS X and Windows...
  • Reply 27 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

To be honest the Folio probably should be compared against the 11 inch Macbook Air but even then the 11" Air outclasses the folio with its 1.6ghz i5 CPU.

Nah, it's still a 13" notebook. As usual, Macs are setting the standard and everyone else is trying to cut corners to reduce price while adding some cheesy items that make a spec sheet look better.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Great name for a computer. The computer has the same sounding name and similar spelling as a foley catheter. I wonder if it comes in yellow.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to being as good as the new Macbook Air.

Keep trying, f$%kin amateurs...
  • Reply 30 of 106
    If the Motorola Droid RAZR can advertise that it's only 7.1mm thin despite that only representing the thinnest part of a device that is overall much thicker than the iPhone 4/4S, why can't Apple advertise their MBAs are 3mm thin?
  • Reply 31 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EGlasheen View Post

Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to being as good as the new Macbook Air.

Keep trying, f$%kin amateurs...

But MacRulez says that it's easy and he would have no problem creating a better ultralight computer than the MacBook Air for less money. Surely, our resident trolls wouldn't make something like that up, would they?
  • Reply 32 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd love to see a detailed breakdown, even an infograph, of how these various ultra books stack up against each other and to the MBAs. Having separate articles doesn't really offer a good comparison for consumers.

Do you really need to? The fact that the Macbook Air cloners are scaling back production tells you all you need to know.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

I'm sure this was uttered in the HP boardroom...

"We lose money on every one we sell, but we'll make it up on volume."

My father used to say this with heavy dose of sarcasm! He also used to say, "They are in the business of "going out of business!"

Best
  • Reply 34 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dillio View Post

Best only on its thickness and aspect, it looks to be competing more with the MacBook Pros, than the MacBook Airs.

That was my first thought too when I viewed the photo.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Does he have too? Considering MS still has something like 90% market share in desktop OS, I am confident some of that market share is in the premium market.

Oh, what "evidence" is he contradicting?

Let me produce the facts which both of you clearly do not base your statements on... http://www.pcworld.com/article/16896...er_market.html
  • Reply 36 of 106
    Quote:

So contrary to all evidence, you are saying there exists a premium market in the Microsoft clone world? Care to show us this new evidence of such a thing? DUH?

Where have you been since 1983?

Here's a couple of recent examples:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-a...n&isredir=true

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t7500/pd

If you choose to respond, then for the love of God please do not redefine any words.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    Quote:

Do you really need to? The fact that the Macbook Air cloners are scaling back production tells you all you need to know.

That means they aren't selling well, but I'd still like to see more side-by-side comparisons of the ultrabook category. Eventually this will be the normal notebook type to get. Even now the MBA reportedly accounts for more than a quarter of all Mac notebook sales.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If the Motorola Droid RAZR can advertise that it's only 7.1mm thin despite that only representing the thinnest part of a device that is overall much thicker than the iPhone 4/4S, why can't Apple advertise their MBAs are 3mm thin?

Because thats as retarded as every article trying to connect any windows pc with 'taking on xxx apple pc"

It's a friggin business box, move on. Why not talk about HP updated Envy range, at least that's a little more applicable.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    FAIL! my 4 year MBP 15" is just as thick, this doesn't compete against the Air at all. HP haven't got a clue no wonder their company is in trouble. Ultra thin my ar$*
  • Reply 40 of 106
    Quote:

Let me produce the facts which both of you clearly do not base your statements on... http://www.pcworld.com/article/16896...er_market.html

All thwt does is confirm his post. Or did you not read it?