HP takes aim at Apple's MacBook Air with new $900 Folio13 Ultrabook

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, I am sure they are awesome. They certainly look ... ummm.... supercharged. I guess they are in the premium SPEC market. Certainly not in the premium style market. How much do these hot-rods cost? Do you get free stickers with them? \

I have to admire your restraint. That's some ugly, ugly plastic that Comrade just littered the thread with. Hideous. Gives me the creeps. He also gives me . . . well, never mind.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

USB 3.0 and HDMI are far more useful than Thunderbolt.

Two slower, less versatile ports are more useful than one faster, more versatile port?

Quote:

Thunderbolts marketing tag line is "One port. Many possibilities." The equivalent taglines for HDMI and USB 3.0 are "One port. Many uses".

Except those are two ports. And you're parroting the same argument from 1996. Thunderbolt will kill every single other computer port. Even Ethernet. You need to realize that.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

To be honest the Folio probably should be compared against the 11 inch Macbook Air but even then the 11" Air outclasses the folio with its 1.6ghz i5 CPU

Yes, indeed. Furthermore, the HP probably has an inferior LCD, as well as being thicker, a pound heavier, and with far less solid construction than the MacBook Air.

Then there's the crapware which HP installs.

How long does the battery last while running a virus scan?
  • Reply 64 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Looks sweet!

HP should make an 11 inch version as well.

Mmm...this free hotel room coffee tastes great, mmmm...

They should sell free hotel room coffee in coffee shops as well.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    Is the chassis plastic? Looks like it. That'll last?
  • Reply 66 of 106
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

FAIL! my 4 year MBP 15" is just as thick, this doesn't compete against the Air at all. HP haven't got a clue no wonder their company is in trouble. Ultra thin my ar$*

"Ultra" refers to the thinness of the smoke screen.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

No, it doesn't. But Windows 7 is just as competent. OS X is much prettier though.

One of my deciding factors of why I chose MacBook Air vs Thinkpad X200 was OS managment. Yes Windows 7 is a competent OS, however it requires an exorbitant amount of management. From Windows updates to Lenovo updates to tweeking system preferences... total pain in the ass...

Macbook Air... rocking in 5 mins with minimal management.

The true test is to let your 5 year old use a computer. Which one is easiest, safest and requires less parental management... any Mac OS system.

I work in IT, the last thing I want to do when I get home is become the Help Desk.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Though the thing seems pretty pointless without Thunderbolt. I think we can say that now: if something new isn't released with Thunderbolt, it's resigned to the naughties for compatibility.

Shouldn't we wait until there are more than two external drives, five raid arrays, one video I/O device and one monitor available before we declare thunderbolt the world's best and only solution?

EDIT: oops, I forgot. There are also three port adapters and two external PCIe expansion chassis available too.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    For years, Microsoft proponents have been telling Apple proponents that we pay far too much for Mac OS X on the same hardware as Microsoft OEM hardware.

I believe much like the iPad market (referred to as the "tablet market" by many) that there isn't a significant "ultraportable market" outside Apple MacBook Air.

I believe the Apple "ultraportable" (MacBook Air) market is strong for the following reasons:

Mac OS X (Aqua ui, accessibility, layered frameworks architecture, reliability, security, technology innovation (Bluetooth 4.0, Thunderbolt as recent examples)

Best in Class Customer Service

iLife (GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto, Mac App Store)

iCloud (iTunes in the Cloud, PhotoStream, Documents in the Cloud, Apps, Books and Backup, Calendar, Mail and Conacts, Find my Friends and Find my iPhone)

iTunes integration (market-leading ecosystem for apps, books, music, movies, podcasts, TV shows which allow me to use many of these products and services on (m)any Apple device(s)

In other words, as far as I can discern, Apple is the only vendor whose primary focus is the user experience. Microsoft OEMs are far too busy differentiating themselves with hardware specifications because they don't understand the user experience. Amazon provides a comparable experience to iTunes and (some of) iCloud via Amazon Cloud but doesn't provide mail, calendars or contacts (AFAIK). Google provides a cloud for Google Apps (Gmail, Google Groups, Google Calendar, Talk, Docs and Sites) but lacks iTunes media content.

iTunes media content provides an immediate, manifest justification for Apple products and services while iCloud extends the products and services across the entire Apple product line. Unless other vendors understand these principles behind the success of Apple's premium products and services as well as the advantages of Apple Stores providing local services and support they won't succeed.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Let me produce the facts which both of you clearly do not base your statements on... http://www.pcworld.com/article/16896...er_market.html

Wow, slow much? No one is doubting that Apple dominates the premium PC market, that's not what you said, you said, "is there a premium market for MS Clones"? If Apple is dominating a market then obviously they are not in it alone.

Oh and just because Apple charges $1000 or more dollars for a PC does not mean it is more premium over the $700 windows PC, Spec to spec. Maybe Windows buyers understand this and are smart shoppers.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

obvious troll is obvious...Apple controls over 90% of the over $1000 computer market yet only represents around 9% of the total market. You do the math....DUH!

So? Companies are not allowed to try and penetrate this market? Maybe the $2500 Mac spec to spec is no better than the $999 PC? At $999, the PC is not considered premium yet can compete, spec to spec with the Mac. So who is the fool? The buyer who paid twice as much for his Mac than I did for my PC? This HP is $999 which means it is not considered Premium yet will compete directly with the $1500 Air, which is considered premium.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

The innovative design is so far out ahead of ... err wait. Never mind.

On the other hand, at least they didn't just slavishly duplicate the "aluminum wedge" styling of the MacBook Air, unlike some manufacturers (Asus), down to the keyboard layout. It looks like all of the other plastic bodied HP laptops clogging Best Buy at the $499 level. That makes it's $900 price tag all the less of a great value: buyers won't see this as "MacBook Air competitor", but more "get less HP laptop for more money." IOW, the $499 HP is a much better value.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail in 1996

Shouldn't we wait until there are more than two external drives, five raid arrays, one video I/O device and one monitor available before we declare USB the world's best and only solution?

*Arms out in an expression that says, "Well, there's the argument, isn't it?"*
  • Reply 74 of 106
    No style, plain Jane and Windoze
  • Reply 75 of 106
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dillio View Post

Best only on its thickness and aspect, it looks to be competing more with the MacBook Pros, than the MacBook Airs.

My thoughts exactly. As an Air owner, that thing looks like a traditional laptop more than an alternative to the Air.

Not even the same ball game...
  • Reply 76 of 106
    8002580025 Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest entry in the thin-and-light Ultrabook lineup is HP's new Folio13, a 13-inch laptop with a 128GB solid-state drive that undercuts Apple's MacBook Air with a starting price of $900.

Let's see: A HP 'me too' product running a Majorcrap OS.

<<Smirking>> and giving this one wide berth.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    8002580025 Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

My thoughts exactly. As an Air owner, that thing looks like a traditional laptop more than an alternative to the Air.

Not even the same ball game...

Not even in the same ball park
  • Reply 78 of 106
    The build quality, perceived weight and industrial design of the MBA blow this thing out of the water, not to mention the whole OS X experience.

No wonder non Apple vendors are failing to dent MBA sales.

Just today, I was in an Apple dealer here in grey and increasingly cold England, and a guy came in to switch from Windows to Mac, and bought a 13" MBA with 256MB of slick SSD. Way to go!
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nah, it's still a 13" notebook. As usual, Macs are setting the standard and everyone else is trying to cut corners to reduce price while adding some cheesy items that make a spec sheet look better.

You know what would be awesome? If a PC manufacturer actually added REAL CHEESE to their laptops, just to claim the cheesiness crown. I want to see that, for real.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

FAIL! my 4 year MBP 15" is just as thick, this doesn't compete against the Air at all. HP haven't got a clue no wonder their company is in trouble. Ultra thin my ar$*

I also have a 4 year old MBP, and it's still kicking. Plenty fast and I've replaced the original HDD with an SSD and it goes a long way towards the Air. I even have an integrated optical drive that I never use