HP takes aim at Apple's MacBook Air with new $900 Folio13 Ultrabook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    It takes genuine talent to make a laptop that looks this forgettable.

Why on earth can't these massive companies employ a decent designer with some actual vision? Why do people put up with such epically bad aesthetics from PCs when they don't from anything else, even vacuum cleaners and irons!

Wake up HP.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    I owned an HP laptop once. ONCE. Was the biggest piece of garbage ever. Loud (yes, a laptop that is loud), heavy, slow even when just released, and so loaded with bloatware it took me forever to get it all removed and it wasn't easy. I'm no tech savant, but I can get around a computer.

HP will need a LOT of glowing reviews before I stroll back to their products.
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That means they aren't selling well, but I'd still like to see more side-by-side comparisons of the ultrabook category. Eventually this will be the normal notebook type to get. Even now the MBA reportedly accounts for more than a quarter of all Mac notebook sales.

Pc manufactureres need to up their game if they want to compete. I can walk into any reseller her and get an air. If I wanted An ultra book, I wold have to order from overseas or wait ages.

They also do not advertise, where as the only Mac adverts I have seen on tv here for many many years are for the air.

Then they also need the staff int he store to guide customers. It's interesting seeing staff GUI customers to Mac, in the vague hope they will buy lots of accessories, as the resellers get next to no margin on the Macs.

Unfortunately, all of ether ultra books seem rushed out. Wich means compromise to get them produced. At least most of the manufactureres have attempted ot make something a title bEtter. I think Lenovo has produced the nicest, freshest designed, product. Just needs anther generation to mature.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    They still don't get it....
  • Reply 45 of 106
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chudq View Post

The operating system of Mac OS X is the soul of MacBook Air. What is the OS of HP? Windows 8? Does Windows have iLife for photo, movie and music? Full version of development tool XCODE? None.

Like it or not, given the proliferation of Windows based software, not running OSX is actually an advantage. As an example at a recent legal proceeding I was involved in the court reporter was using an Air running Windows. She wanted the convenience of the Air but the reporting software is Windows based. She was tech savy enough use an Air but I'm sure there is a large market for an Air equivalent that is marketed as using Windows.

Assuming HP executes this properly it could easily outsell the Air.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Where have you been since 1983?

Here's a couple of recent examples:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-a...n&isredir=true

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t7500/pd

If you choose to respond, then for the love of God please do not redefine any words.

obvious troll is obvious...Apple controls over 90% of the over $1000 computer market yet only represents around 9% of the total market. You do the math....DUH!
  • Reply 47 of 106
    Pretty uninspired design to say the least. Poor effort.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Though the thing seems pretty pointless without Thunderbolt. I think we can say that now: if something new isn't released with Thunderbolt, it's resigned to the naughties for compatibility.

USB 3.0 and HDMI are far more useful than Thunderbolt. If I was to make any changes to the Macbook Air it would be to add these 2 ports.

Thunderbolts marketing tag line is "One port. Many possibilities." The equivalent taglines for HDMI and USB 3.0 are "One port. Many uses".
  • Reply 48 of 106
    Great to see SS drives going mainstream. Let's hope this is the beginning of the end of rotating storage.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

All thwt does is confirm his post. Or did you not read it?

Pot, meet kettle. If _you_ could read you would see how a company with less than 10% marketshare owns over 90% of the market for over $1000 computers. I am asking a lot...math is hard.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Didn't Palm trademark the name "Folio?"
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Didn't Palm trademark the name "Folio?"

Maybe. HP bought Palm though.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

USB 3.0 and HDMI are far more useful than Thunderbolt. If I was to make any changes to the Macbook Air it would be to add these 2 ports.

Thunderbolts marketing tag line is "One port. Many possibilities." The equivalent taglines for HDMI and USB 3.0 are "One port. Many uses".

1) Not if you have a Mac and an Apple Cinema Display.

2) Your tagline could have been pulled from the past
    USB: "One port. Many possibilities."

Serial and Parallel: "One port. Many uses."
  • Reply 53 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

but does it run OS X?

No, it doesn't. But Windows 7 is just as competent. OS X is much prettier though.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Where have you been since 1983?

Here's a couple of recent examples:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-a...n&isredir=true

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t7500/pd

If you choose to respond, then for the love of God please do not redefine any words.

Well, I am sure they are awesome. They certainly look ... ummm.... supercharged. I guess they are in the premium SPEC market. Certainly not in the premium style market. How much do these hot-rods cost? Do you get free stickers with them? \
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

They still don't get it....

Could you please define "it"?
  • Reply 56 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

No, it doesn't. But Windows 7 is just as competent. OS X is much prettier though.

Wrong argument in wrong place. And besides, the eternal "which OS is best" discussion is futile at best. Too many variables with the most contentious - personal preference. The last part - no arguments
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:

This is one of the new high-end netbooks, like the MacBook Air, and not a powerful machine like a desktop. It is for use by people who value portability over performance, and are willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. Duh.

It is a niche product. It is unlikely to sell in numbers that compare to the "most of the things that most people want" machines. It is not a lowest-common-denominator product like the iOS devices.

Would you please stop trying to claim the MBA is a netbook? Netbooks used shitty Atom processors, MBAs use i5 and i7 processors. No, adding "high-end" to the front of your claim does not make it so. High-end for a netbook means they have the better video card and MAYBE cost $450. Netbooks are a very different class of computer, please stop trying to merge the 2.

Also, 28% of all Apple notesbook sales (which account for 74% of all Mac sales) means you have a bit over 20% of all Mac sales are MBAs. That means last quarter Apple sold around a million MBAs. Not too shabby. Considering Apple has over 90% of the sales for $1000+ computers, selling a million MBAs in a 3 month period means they more than likely sold far more of those than all the Alienware laptops combined, for example.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Now, if it didn't have to run a crap OS they might have a nice product.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

You'll be getting USB 3 next year when Ivy Bridge adds USB 3 support to the motherboards. Apple won't be updating them w/that beforehand. How is HDMI more flexible than Thunderbolt? HDMI is for one thing and one thing only, displays. Bonus points for transmitting sound as well. Thunderbolt does everything both USB 3 and HDMI can do and, with adapters, can handle Firewire, Ethernet, Fibre, etc. USB can't handle any of those.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Just as competent ... Running both I'd like to disagree on that. Just my opinion of course.