HP takes aim at Apple's MacBook Air with new $900 Folio13 Ultrabook

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope the trackpad works well. The HP Envy had promise but when the reviewers stated you had to use an external mouse to get anything done it kind of ruins the concept of a $2000+ notebook.

I believe, though, that was issue with first generation Envies. Pretty sure I've read somewhere HP sorted that along the way.

In fact, I think major problem with Envy line nowadays is that quality IPS panels are not available for every model. (unless they have changed that recently as well, but last thing I recall was HP complaining how difficult it is to source good quality panels, especially 17")
  • Reply 102 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

They still don't get it....

And what would that be?

How to move remaining 5% of computer users from Mac to PC

or

How to make expensive product that will be able to compete against hundreds of much cheaper units with same specs?
  • Reply 103 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

For years, Microsoft proponents have been telling Apple proponents that we pay far too much for Mac OS X on the same hardware as Microsoft OEM hardware.

I believe much like the iPad market (referred to as the "tablet market" by many) that there isn't a significant "ultraportable market" outside Apple MacBook Air.

I believe the Apple "ultraportable" (MacBook Air) market is strong for the following reasons:

Mac OS X (Aqua ui, accessibility, layered frameworks architecture, reliability, security, technology innovation (Bluetooth 4.0, Thunderbolt as recent examples)

Best in Class Customer Service

iLife (GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto, Mac App Store)

iCloud (iTunes in the Cloud, PhotoStream, Documents in the Cloud, Apps, Books and Backup, Calendar, Mail and Conacts, Find my Friends and Find my iPhone)

iTunes integration (market-leading ecosystem for apps, books, music, movies, podcasts, TV shows which allow me to use many of these products and services on (m)any Apple device(s)

In other words, as far as I can discern, Apple is the only vendor whose primary focus is the user experience. Microsoft OEMs are far too busy differentiating themselves with hardware specifications because they don't understand the user experience. Amazon provides a comparable experience to iTunes and (some of) iCloud via Amazon Cloud but doesn't provide mail, calendars or contacts (AFAIK). Google provides a cloud for Google Apps (Gmail, Google Groups, Google Calendar, Talk, Docs and Sites) but lacks iTunes media content.

iTunes media content provides an immediate, manifest justification for Apple products and services while iCloud extends the products and services across the entire Apple product line. Unless other vendors understand these principles behind the success of Apple's premium products and services as well as the advantages of Apple Stores providing local services and support they won't succeed.

You DO get Hotmail with SkyDrive's 25GB online storage for free...
  • Reply 104 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Wow, slow much? No one is doubting that Apple dominates the premium PC market, that's not what you said, you said, "is there a premium market for MS Clones"? If Apple is dominating a market then obviously they are not in it alone.

Oh and just because Apple charges $1000 or more dollars for a PC does not mean it is more premium over the $700 windows PC, Spec to spec. Maybe Windows buyers understand this and are smart shoppers.

I'm finding that NPD's statement a bit... vague.

First of, it seems to be 2 years old.

Second of, quick googling around didn't reveal if that covers:

US or world wide?

Retail only, on-line purchases, CTO builds, enthusiast component purchases?

Laptops or laptops and desktops?
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The build quality, perceived weight and industrial design of the MBA blow this thing out of the water, not to mention the whole OS X experience.

No wonder non Apple vendors are failing to dent MBA sales.

Just today, I was in an Apple dealer here in grey and increasingly cold England, and a guy came in to switch from Windows to Mac, and bought a 13" MBA with 256MB of slick SSD. Way to go!

Except that OS experience with Windows machine is major plus for big number of Windows users. I know it is hard to swallow, but it is true.

MBA sales are 1/3 of Apple computer sales, which are 5% worldwide. So MBA sales are around 1.7% of worldwide computer sales.

I don't really think is it undentable number. In fact, I'd say it is much more accurate to say MBA sales are failing to dent netbook sales.
  • Reply 106 of 106
    The most recent entry within the thin-and-light Ultrabook selection is HP's new Folio13, a 13-inch laptop having a 128GB solid-condition drive that undercuts Apple's Mac laptop Air having a beginning cost of $900.

HP's first "business Ultrabook" may be the latest entry within the reference design headed by chipmaker Apple. Ultrabooks goal to contend with Apple's highly effective Mac laptop Air selection, which now signifies 28 percent from the company's notebook deliveries.

Available beginning 12 ,. 7 for $899.99, the Hewlett packard Folio13 boasts as much as 9 hrs of battery existence and has a 128GB solid-condition drive. Its design is under 18 millimeters thin and also the Folio13 weighs in at 3.3 pounds.

Additionally, it includes a Corei5-2467M processor, 4GB of RAM, single,366-by-768-pixel display, optical TPM circuitry, and Hewlett packard CoolSense. Ports include USB 2. and three., Ethernet, High-definition multimedia interface, along with a memory readers.

"This group of product breaks new ground and will also be a likely option for companies to provide to employees searching for a far more consumer-centric experience,? stated Crawford Del Prete, executive v . p . of worldwide research items, and chief research officer, at IDC. "We expect Ultrabooks will re-ignite curiosity about the little form factor PC category, by 2015 expect 95 million Ultrabooks is going to be shipping worldwide yearly."

Responding towards the unveiling of HP's new Ultrabook on Wednesday, analyst John Marshall of ISI Group offered a mind-to-mind comparison between it and Apple's Mac laptop Air. He noted that although the Folio13 is targeted at business customers, Apple's Mac laptop Air selection targets both customers and also the enterprise.

At $900, the Hewlett packard Folio13 is all about 30 % less than the $1,300 cost around the low-finish 13.3-inch Mac laptop Air model. Apple also provides an 11.6-inch Mac laptop Air beginning at $999, or $100 a lot more than HP's business Ultrabook.

Whitened stated he applauds HP's competitive prices for that new Folio13, and that he thinks the brand new ultraportable is really a "solid entry" for Intel's battling Ultrabook category. However, he thinks the Mac laptop Air will retain its share of the market lead when confronted with this latest threat.

A week ago it had been says other Ultrabook makers, Acer and Asus, slashed their orders for that thin-and-light notebook computers by 40 %. Sales from the Ultrabook line within the first month were stated to possess been "unsatisfactory" for companies.

One problem for that first Ultrabooks was they arrived in a greater cost range than typical low-cost Computers, plus some even were built with a greater beginning cost than Apple's Mac laptop Air. But HP's Folio13 aims to deal with by using a hostile $900 entry cost.

The Folio13 gets to a tumultuous time for Hewlett packard, as the organization lately ousted its Boss of under annually after a number of highly promoted problems. Among individuals would be a somewhat confusing decision to spin off HP's PC division, that leads the when it comes to models offered, though the organization rapidly corrected its decision in October.