Carrier IQ data logging controversy prompts scrutiny from US Senate

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No.

Stalin's pretzel factory perhaps.

Google is pretty evil though. An almost Microsoftian level of evil in fact.

This is especially ironic since Google is the only company in living memory to actually claim that they *aren't* evil, and to have "do no evil" as their motto.

They should seriously consider dropping that.

Maybe in favour of "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil". Seems to be the case here.

The software in itself isn't evil though. The spotlight should be on the carriers right now - AT&T have stayed pretty quiet so far.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

No.

Stalin's pretzel factory perhaps.

Google is pretty evil though. An almost Microsoftian level of evil in fact.

This is especially ironic since Google is the only company in living memory to actually claim that they *aren't* evil, and to have "do no evil" as their motto.

They should seriously consider dropping that.

Google will obviously have a different definition for Evil than you or I. ("I did NOT have sex with that woman , however, I did have a relationship with a cigar"- a great example of parsing words from a do-no-evil politician.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    April 21, 2011. Government officials voice concern to Apple over location tracking

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Slow news day. Franken should be more concerned with creating jobs and helping get this country back in the black.

May 25, 2011. US Sen. Franken calls on Apple, Google to require app privacy policies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Sen. Al Franken is still an idiot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenwk View Post

Hey Al, you must have too much free time as this has become your #1 priority.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenwk View Post

I think Al wants to create another department for this so the govn't can hire more workers to bring down the unemployment rate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Agreed. The best outcome would be for Senator Franken to resign and just go away. He's a jerk and he puts a face on the term 'bozo.'

June 15, 2011. Bill introduced in US Senate to enforce mobile privacy laws on Apple, Google

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I'm sorry but I just can't take anything Al Franken says seriously. He really should have just stuck with comedy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Don't we have bigger issue to deal with in this country? This is utter waste of tax payers money. Here are two companies who are innovative, but leave it up to the government to muck it up! Al, go back to SNL - they might need you!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Al Franken is still an idiot.

October 13, 2011. US senators propose bill to require 'accurate 4G information for consumers'

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Al Franken should have stuck to SNL.

Everyone would have been better off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

<Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., and Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn>

a proposal from hell by three of the worst legislators in congress.

December 1, 2011. Carrier IQ data logging controversy prompts scrutiny from US Senate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think his questions are reasonable and straight to the point

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Well, know you know that Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn. reads this site.

Welcome Senator, glad to have you.

When Al Franken questions Apple about privacy practices, he is trashed and dismissed. But when he is questioning other companies, we are all cheering him on.
  • Reply 24 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Google will obviously have a different definition for Evil than you or I. ("I did NOT have sex with that woman , however, I did have a relationship with a cigar"- a great example of parsing words from a do-no-evil politician.

I've dated some Cubans, but never a cigar.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post

LOL maybe this would explain the iPad/iphone OVERCHARGES for DATA at&T kept charging for! funny, maybe not...

Wouldn't be surprised if this is why users saw data transmissions on their bills occuring at 2AM.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    I can't talk now we're not alone.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    Doesn't bother me too much. Besides, only the iPhone 4 has the carrier IQ installed. I am not interesting enough to be worried about being spied on.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post

LOL maybe this would explain the iPad/iphone OVERCHARGES for DATA at&T kept charging for! funny, maybe not...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if this is why users saw data transmissions on their bills occuring at 2AM.

The question is if the following above was true, could AT&T customers actually DO anything about it? Doesn't AT&T have that Anti-arbitration clause in the contracts thanks to the supreme court?
  • Reply 29 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gosh, that list reads like a bunch of 3rd grade essay assignment questions. And that's for the best, as often in investigations like this, the organization under scrutiny can't seem to give proper answers to questions at higher intellectual levels.

Remarkable how politicians can get to the point when they have to, yet spend a lot of the time going round and round using lots of words without really saying anything.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    Things we know if we take replies at face value.
    1. Google has no affiliation with Carrier IQ.

2. Verizon has no affiliation with Carrier IQ.

3. Vendors such as Apple, RiM and HTC have some affiliation with Carrier IQ.

4. Some vendors are blaming carriers for Carrier IQ being installed on their devices.

5. Apple's affiliation requires the user to opt-in and only records well documented data that is in the legal agreement.

6. Only Android-based phones have been found to include keyloggers.

• Reply 31 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Besides, only the iPhone 4 has the carrier IQ installed.

How do we know that?
  • Reply 32 of 98
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If that's true, then it's weird that Verizon doesn't make commercials boasting about that.

Really? You're serious aren't you.
  • Reply 33 of 98
    I wonder why the carriers/manufacturers (including apple) would risk this kind of thing? Who in their right minds wants this kind of surveillance on their phones? I sure don't. If I read that my phone has it, it is going into the toilet and I will join a class action lawsuit against my carrier and phone manufacturer.

I think this story has legs. Go Franken Go!

As far as Google thinking that they are blameless in this mess- good luck with that. Consumers tend to paint with broad strokes.....
  • Reply 34 of 98
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    SO now we know the real reason why the carriers love Android so much... its OPEN and by open it means we can pretty much do what the hell we like to make money off you and have you pay for its transmission to us.... "DO NO EVIL" what a fracking joke
  • Reply 35 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

When Al Franken questions Apple about privacy practices, he is trashed and dismissed. But when he is questioning other companies, we are all cheering him on.

Your inability to see a difference between opt-in cell tower location data being backed up in iTunes and a keylogger program installed on some Android-based devices is pretty much right on par with the rest of your ineffectual reading and writing skills.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Sen. Franken,

I trust you will also be launching investigations into the various ways the U.S. government collects data...

• Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your inability to see a difference between opt-in cell tower location data being backed up in iTunes and a keylogger program installed on some Android-based devices is pretty much right on par with the rest of your ineffectual reading and writing skills.

And, you could have added, his inability to see that it lasted all of a few weeks in Apple's case, and the company had voluntarily taken it out ahead of all the brouhaha.....
  • Reply 38 of 98
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

It's a carrier issue, not an Android issue. The Nexus phones, among with others, do not feature this tracking software at all.

Baloney. enabling telcos to customize Android however they wish is at the very heart of its "open" design and business plan. and whatever happened to the "Open Handset Alliance" that was supposed to set privacy standards for its members. oops. never happened, did it ...

it's like Google hands a free gun to a homicidal maniac and then claims it had no role in the murder he commits with it. bullshit.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Really? You're serious aren't you.

What makes you think that I wasn't serious?

If carrier A violates people's privacy and carrier B doesn't, then why wouldn't carrier B use that to their advantage?
  • Reply 40 of 98
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Not to pick on you but this exact defence word for word is being bandied around a lot today so I'd like to point out how completely untrue it is.

Sure, it's the carriers that made the software and put it on the phone, but it's Google's choice to let the carriers put this kind of crap on the phone, to not control what it accesses, to not even really *have* a decent security policy of any kind.

This is so totally "an Android problem." It's one of the reasons everyone cheered when Apple entered the business as this kind of crap has been going on for years and years (the software itself is quite old), and it took Apple to actually stand up to it and say they wouldn't allow it on their phone. Google could easily have done the same but they didn't.

Google's customer is the carrier, not the phone user.

Totally Google's fault IMO and completely on purpose. Not even a mistake.

Agreed, Google is all about user tracking and data mining. They stand to gain everything if they can mine text messages, emails and searches of it's users for key words to serve up custom ads or sell to other venders.