Amazon Kindle Fire takes #2 tablet spot after shipping 3.9 million units

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    Quote:

Amazon plans to use the Kindle Fire to drive sales of physical goods that comprise the majority of the company’s business.

Wow, looks like somebody other than Google finally figured out how to make real money off Android
  • Reply 42 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've never used one and never touched one. I have never claimed that I did. I've read enough about it and seen it in action on video.

As for the multitouch, two touch does not equal multi touch.

I had read that the Kindle Fire only features two touch display, and if that is incorrect, then I am more than happy to be corrected on that point. And if it is true that it is only two touch, then it is deceptive to call it multi touch, IMO.

But two is more than one!
  • Reply 43 of 141
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'd rather have a kindle and $200-$300 cash in my pocket over any other crappy android tablet. Good for them.

Too bad, Kindle is an Android tablet.
  • Reply 44 of 141
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wow, looks like somebody other than Google finally figured out how to make real money off Android

Like the Touch Pad, customers aren't interested unless it's next to free. Can you blame them?
  • Reply 45 of 141
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Anyway... Nice to see such a high quality, high value device as the Kindle Fire doing so well.

What do you do in real life to afford so many gadgets my friend?

I am jealous.
  • Reply 46 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Like the Touch Pad, customers aren't interested unless it's next to free. Can you blame them?

5 hptablets for the price of 1 iPad is a win for me. I can look all rich to people that don't know the difference from an iPad. I'll just put an Apple sticker on the back of each.*dons sun glasses*
  • Reply 47 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

What do you do in real life to afford so many gadgets my friend?

I am jealous.

Where have you been? He has told us at least a thousand times.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

5 hptablets for the price of 1 iphone is a win for me. I can look all rich to people that don't know the difference from an iPad. I'll just put an Apple sticker on the back of each.*dons sun glasses*

Hahaha.....
  • Reply 49 of 141
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    From the Verge, who actually used and touched that tablet.

Fruit Ninja

Works well on the large screen. One downside I've noticed is that the Kindle Fire is dual touch only, so attempting to use three or four fingers for maximum fruit slicing is doomed to fail.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/28/2...oot-experience

Sorry, but dual touch is not multitouch. The iPad is multitouch and Amazon calling their mini tablet multitouch is deceptive advertising, as ignorant people will be fooled and thinking that they're actually getting multitouch like the iPad, when in fact, it is a pathetic dual touch.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

What....?

You obviously never even used/touched, or likely seen a Kindle Fire, because it does, in fact, have a multitouch display... one that works very well indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qJlQ0rbms

Most posters likely don't even own an iPad. Drives me crazy sometimes how apple is the best (which they are), and all others suck- and I mean suck bad.

I actually feel a little like DaHarder- I own an iPad 2 I got off Craigslist used for a great price (32gb 1.5 months old wifi only for $440)- and I still feel some regret. I use my iMac for almost everything because I do so much heavier work, and here I am on my couch typing on my iPhone instead of using my iPad. Mainly because I hate typing on the thing. Movie watching I love it for- and traveling its second to none. But a kindle fire might be just as good for my application.

Quote:

LOL... Not really, and whether you've "never had that issue with any glass-based display on any Apple product" lies in direct contrast to the FACT that the pic I posted is of my iPad2 exhibiting 'LCD Pooling' without pressing to an abusive level.

Anyway... Nice to see such a high quality, high value device as the Kindle Fire doing so well.

My iPad 2 pools when I push on it moderately too. No question.

My phone doesn't regardless of how hard I push. The bigger the screen, the more the flex... Simple physics. (the MBP glass is much thicker btw- so it doesn't count).
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Quote:

Most posters likely don't even own an iPad. Drives me crazy sometimes how apple is the best (which they are), and all others suck- and I mean suck bad.

I was right, he was wrong.

I'm surprised that somebody who actually owns a Kindle Fire never even noticed that it wasn't true multitouch. I guess that's the kind of consumer that buys the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    Quote:

I've never used one and never touched one.

Anyone else crack up when they read this? Lol....
  • Reply 53 of 141
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Misleading title. Amazon hasn't taken anything yet, as the numbers are EXPECTED as in MAYBE they will happen, maybe not.

And don't get me started on the shipped versus sold numbers.....

End rant

Amazon, like Apple, sells directly to the consumer and operates an incredible lean operation. Therefore, shipped = sold for all intents and purposes.

The confusion only applies with a company like Samsung who is an OEM; they don't sell to the end user, rather they "sell" to their channels, i.e. retailers. Therefore, preliminary shipped numbers don't necessarily correlate with true sell-through. Over time, as a product matures, the shipped and sold numbers start to equalize.
  • Reply 54 of 141
    Quote:

Anyone else crack up when they read this? Lol....

And it turns out that I knew more about it than somebody else who bought one and used it.

So your point was?
  • Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:

I'm surprised that somebody who actually owns a Kindle Fire never even noticed that it wasn't true multitouch. I guess that's the kind of consumer that buys the Kindle Fire.

He was right about one thing- you've never seen, touched, or used a kindle fire.
  • Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:

He was right about one thing- you've never seen, touched, or used a kindle fire.

No kidding. I avoid Android tablets like the plague. You couldn't pay me to touch one.

I was right about one thing too, it's not multitouch, and that is the main issue here.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Congrats to Amazon on doing well with this low end device. However, just wait until Matell come out with their new Etch A Sketch, you ain't seen nothing yet!
  • Reply 58 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I'm sure someone wanting to correct you would say that multi- can be defined simply as more than one, as opposed to many, but with this technology type and this being a forum for talking about electronics using a layman's definition of multi-touch panels isn't going to cut it.

Of course Amazon will say it's multi-touch because it sounds better and it's standard marketing practice to push acceptable envelopes in truthiness, but that doesn't carry over to the dual-core processor. Just imagine what would happen if Apple started calling their dual-core systems multi-core. I bet DaHarder and Galbi would be the first to throw a digital temper tantrum.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm sure someone wanting to correct you would say that multi- can be defined simply as more than one, as opposed to many, but with this technology type and this being a forum for talking about electronics using a layman's definition of multi-touch panels isn't going to cut it.

Of course Amazon will say it's multi-touch because it sounds better and it's standard marketing practice to push acceptable envelopes in truthiness, but that doesn't carry over to the dual-core processor. Just imagine what would happen if Apple started calling their dual-core systems multi-core. I bet DaHarder and Galbi would be the first to throw a digital temper tantrum.

Good point. If dual core processors were advertised as multi-core, it would be funny to see the reactions.
  • Reply 60 of 141
    Quote:

I've never seen, sparred with, or been punched by Mike Tyson. Yet I'm able to ascertain that if he punched me, I'd need a colostomy bag and a sippy cup.

Seriously though, that's why we have trusted tech reviewers - So that we don't have to buy all 159879234 gadgets that were released this year to learn which ones are crap and which ones aren't.