Amazon Kindle Fire takes #2 tablet spot after shipping 3.9 million units

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No kidding. I avoid Android tablets like the plague. You couldn't pay me to touch one.

Case in point!

• Reply 102 of 141
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Does anybody else see the delicious irony that the #2 tablet behind the iPad is a mini tablet running a modified Android OS sporting an extremely closed ecosystem?

Not only that, but one that doesn't have to compete on pure hardware sales alone?

This is the android fork that could pretty much suck up what little oxygen in the room that was left after the iPad.

Irony doesn't even begin to touch it
  • Reply 103 of 141
    Quote:

Good point. If dual core processors were advertised as multi-core, it would be funny to see the reactions.

A multi-core processor is a single computing component with two or more independent actual processors (called "cores"), ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

Processors

Multi core questions and answers

Why are the CPU graphs in Windows* Task Manager not identical?

If you have a multi-core processor, this is not unusual. Each box represents one of the cores in the processor. Dual-cores processors have two graphs and quad-core processors have four graphs.

http://www.intel.com/support/process...w=multi%20core
  • Reply 104 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Misleading title. Amazon hasn't taken anything yet, as the numbers are EXPECTED as in MAYBE they will happen, maybe not.

I was a little confused about that too - has Amazon ever released real sales number for the Kindle? Ever?

Quote:

And don't get me started on the shipped versus sold numbers.....

Hehe - back to the old liars/statistics saying...
  • Reply 105 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Besides claiming sales that are yet to be proven, does anyone really consider the Fire a "tablet computer?" It seem more like a "reader +" to me.

Which means it will turn into an iPad evangelism tool for most buyers.

I have a Kindle - but because of the e-Ink screen, not because it's a Kindle. As a reader only, other than having color, I don't see the advantage of it over the regular Kindle. For me (and the other people I watched playing with it) the performance for the non-reading performance is so bad people will get frustrated with it quickly.

But it will probably get people to pay attention to the iPad more. Apple's probably very happy with the Fire!
  • Reply 106 of 141
    Quote:

I don't care what Amazon calls it. Dual Touch does not equal multi touch in my book. I find that to be most deceptive.

In computing, multi-touch refers to a touch sensing surface's (trackpad or touchscreen) ability to recognize the presence of two or more points of contact with the surface.

en.wikipedia.orcg/wiki/Multi-touch

Multi-Touch trackpad.

Be more hands-on.

The Multi-Touch trackpad is the most natural way to interact with what?s on your screen, and the smooth glass surface gives you plenty of room for gestures. Pinch to zoom in and out,

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html#trackpad
  • Reply 107 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

What do you do in real life to afford so many gadgets my friend?

Professional internet searcher in his moms basement?

Quote:

I am jealous.

I wouldn't be...
  • Reply 108 of 141
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:

iPad = 11 point Multitouch

Fire = 2 point dual touch

Yet, Amazon calls theirs for Multitouch.

Yep, they're the same thing. There's no reason at all for anybody to be pointing out the vast difference between the two.

This one goes to ELEVEN!
  • Reply 109 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's interesting how the same posters that are so quick to point out that some overly large Android-based phone has a higher resolution than the iPhone (despite being a considerably lower PPI) are now claiming tht dual-point touch is just as useful as eleven-point touch. Even a FULL (three-point) multouch would be a huge improvement in usability over a dual-touch display.

Now if we were discussing the usability of five-points on a 7" display v eleven-points on a 10" display then there wouldn't be an issue because would at or above the minimum level for a good experience. But dual-touch? Come on!

You also have to question other shortcuts Amazon has taken. We know the Blackberry Playbook design they use cuts out a great many HW features but I can't help but wonder what other corners they have cut and what heap marketing tricks they've employed to hide the Fire's shortcomings. For instance, what about the touch panel's accuracy. We knownte iPhone has ranked well above the competition in knowing where your capacitance inputs are. How good is the Fire?
  • Reply 110 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's interesting how the same posters that are so quick to point out that some overly large Android-based phone has a higher resolution than the iPhone (despite being a considerably lower PPI) are now claiming tht dual-point touch is just as useful as eleven-point touch. Even a FULL (three-point) multouch would be a huge improvement in usability over a dual-touch display.

Long time reader, first time poster. I read these forums all the time but have thus far refrained from posting, but the rhetoric being used is driving me crazy. So, my question is, where did anyone say that 2 point multi touch is superior to 11 point multi touch? I must have missed that claim. 2 IS multi, but the use of multi is all about context. If i were describing my macbook, it has a dual core processor. Describing my desktop, it has a hexa-core processor. In either statement i could have correctly substituted multi, but I wanted to be more descriptive. So basically, your right, it is a dual-point touch screen. And DaHarder is right, it is a multi-touch screen. The fact that this is something even worth arguing is astounding.

I don't see anyone claiming that the Kindle fire is superior to the iPad. It's not, and it wasn't meant to be. It is a value proposition. I actually own both, and I find I have been using the kindle fire more, mainly because its easier to carry with me. I could care less how many points of touch are on it, because I watch movies, check email, surf the internet, occasionally read a book when I don't have my e-ink kindle with me, etc. Its fantastic for people invested in Amazon services. The touchscreen can be a bit wonky on the fire(recent update much improved). You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 111 of 141
    I've been heavily considering a Kindle Fire. Some people in my family want a tablet, and it's harder for me to justify an iPad. Granted I have a 4S and could transfer my apps to an iPad (Infinity Blade FTW!). Just for what I mainly do, I can't justify $500. I like watching HBO GO, surfing some sites, Netflix, and casual stuff like that. I have a feeling an extra $300 just doesn't give me an extra $300 vs when I decided to get the 4S vs the 4. Totally not sure though. Good Android tablets are $500 too , so definatley no. I heard the nook was better than the Kindle. But I'm not sure......
  • Reply 112 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

I've been heavily considering a Kindle Fire. Some people in my family want a tablet, and it's harder for me to justify an iPad. Granted I have a 4S and could transfer my apps to an iPad (Infinity Blade FTW!). Just for what I mainly do, I can't justify $500. I like watching HBO GO, surfing some sites, Netflix, and casual stuff like that. I have a feeling an extra $300 just doesn't give me an extra $300 vs when I decided to get the 4S vs the 4. Totally not sure though. Good Android tablets are $500 too , so definatley no. I heard the nook was better than the Kindle. But I'm not sure......

I actually went through a similar debate myself(about the nook). The only reason I picked the fire was that I already extensively use amazon for my books and music, and I am an amazon prime member. If that wasn't the case, I would have went with the nook, it has better specs, expandable memory and I like the design better. But you will deal with a more limited market.
  • Reply 113 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Long time reader, first time poster. I read these forums all the time but have thus far refrained from posting, but the rhetoric being used is driving me crazy. So, my question is, where did anyone say that 2 point multi touch is superior to 11 point multi touch? I must have missed that claim. 2 IS multi, but the use of multi is all about context. If i were describing my macbook, it has a dual core processor. Describing my desktop, it has a hexa-core processor. In either statement i could have correctly substituted multi, but I wanted to be more descriptive. So basically, your right, it is a dual-point touch screen. And DaHarder is right, it is a multi-touch screen. The fact that this is something even worth arguing is astounding.

I don't see anyone claiming that the Kindle fire is superior to the iPad. It's not, and it wasn't meant to be. It is a value proposition. I actually own both, and I find I have been using the kindle fire more, mainly because its easier to carry with me. I could care less how many points of touch are on it, because I watch movies, check email, surf the internet, occasionally read a book when I don't have my e-ink kindle with me, etc. Its fantastic for people invested in Amazon services. The touchscreen can be a bit wonky on the fire(recent update much improved). You get what you pay for.

People don't get that the Nook is targeted to be a value tablet. It gets much of what the average consumer wants done and that's the segment Amazon wants. I'm quite tired of people comparing every device to Apple that they know can't compete to make themselves feel superior. I mean at this point, why not compare Apple laptop sales to PC laptop sales? Hmmm?

Amazon is showing the potential customer what they can do for the price. A lot of people aren't willing to spend $500+ on something they will use occasionally. The firesale of the HP Touchpad is proof of that.

Comparing the iPad to the Kindle isn't meant to be a direct-to-direct comparison. I'ts meant to be the value comparison. Both can play Angry Birds, sure. But the Kindle gives you more-per-dollar than the iPad.
  • Reply 114 of 141
    Quote:

I actually went through a similar debate myself(about the nook). The only reason I picked the fire was that I already extensively use amazon for my books and music, and I am an amazon prime member. If that wasn't the case, I would have went with the nook, it has better specs, expandable memory and I like the design better. But you will deal with a more limited market.

True. I have Prime too, so I guess their marketing works! How are you enjoying your Kindle Fire? I'm thinking about getting one of my parents one simply because they want a tablet but not sure what they want exactly. I might get one myself (Tablet+Zelda 3DS combo lol). Not sure though. I've seen the Acer tablet for $229.
  • Reply 115 of 141
    Quote:

I don't see anyone claiming that the Kindle fire is superior to the iPad.

You may not have, but I've already experienced it. In a discussion amongst friends and family, when I tried to point out that Amazon's definition of mulit-touch isn't the same as Apple's, I was ridiculed for being a fanboi. I then pointed out:

Quote:

You get what you pay for.

and told the friends I was talking with don't come to me for support or complaining when you buy a Fire and expect an iPad experience because of some idiotic review they read on the Internet.
  • Reply 116 of 141
    Quote:

Just for what I mainly do, I can't justify $500. I like watching HBO GO, surfing some sites, Netflix, and casual stuff like that. I have a feeling an extra $300 just doesn't give me an extra $300 vs when I decided to get the 4S vs the 4. Totally not sure though. Good Android tablets are $500 too , so definatley no. I heard the nook was better than the Kindle. But I'm not sure......

When you make the decision to get an iPad instead of a new laptop - that's when it will become apparent. The MacBook Pro I'm typing on will likely be the last laptop I own. About the only time I use it is when I'm blabbing on forums like this one. If Siri comes to the next iPad, the whole typing thing goes out the window and the last advantage of my MBP fades away
  • Reply 117 of 141
    Quote:

I'm thinking about getting one of my parents one simply because they want a tablet but not sure what they want exactly. I might get one myself (Tablet+Zelda 3DS combo lol). Not sure though.

Chances are your parents will probably find it's a good replacement for a full blown computer. And they are more likely to find that with an iPad since it is a more capable device. It's the sole computer for my parents now - they love it. The Fire, especially with the smaller screen, wouldn't be "good enough" to replace their normal computer.

Quote:

I've seen the Acer tablet for $229.

I'd stick with the Fire. The hardware is better quality since it's being subsidized by Amazon. You get what you pay for - either directly or indirectly by buying into the ecosystem.
  • Reply 118 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

When you make the decision to get an iPad instead of a new laptop - that's when it will become apparent. The MacBook Pro I'm typing on will likely be the last laptop I own. About the only time I use it is when I'm blabbing on forums like this one. If Siri comes to the next iPad, the whole typing thing goes out the window and the last advantage of my MBP fades away

I'm really nervous about getting an iPad (or any tablet) instead of a laptop. Though the versatility of it makes me jump for joy:

• Reply 119 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

and told the friends I was talking with don't come to me for support or complaining when you buy a Fire and expect an iPad experience because of some idiotic review they read on the Internet.

Their experiences will vary. I was already an amazon user, and already had a lot of content purchased and in the cloud. So as soon as I logged into the fire, all of my content was there. I just touch the book, it downloads and then I read. Go to the prime section of video and instantly watch content. It is a really simple device and is pretty well laid out. That being said, its not an ipad experience. The browser can be a bit slow, the email client is terrible, the facebook "app" is just a link to mobile facebook, and the touch recognition, while much improved, still isn't as good as the ipad. Thankfully these can all be improved, but it is not an iPad. Its a pretty good device, the ipad is a great device. There would be no debate if not for the price differential.

The only thing I will say is that i really like the 7 inch form factor. I know its not going to happen, but a 7 inch ipad at $300, the ipad 2 at $400, and the ipad 3 at 500 would pretty much knock out the competition.
  • Reply 120 of 141
    Dang! How do you resize pictures?