Amazon Kindle Fire takes #2 tablet spot after shipping 3.9 million units

Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No Problem... though that whole "But this guy cant be wrong- he's the smartest person ever. Just ask him" was a bit ambiguous as to whom it was being directed.

Be Well...

His comment wasn't ambiguous, but it does explain why you thnk using multi to describe dual is just as precise.
  • Reply 82 of 141
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

No Problem... though that whole "But this guy cant be wrong- he's the smartest person ever. Just ask him" was a bit ambiguous as to whom it was being directed.

Be Well...

It's fairly obvious as to who it was directed towards, as the dude has a huge hard on for me, since many of his posts are about me, and not the subject at hand.

I'm sorry to inform him that I'm not gay, so he'll have to take his hard on elsewhere.
  • Reply 83 of 141
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His comment wasn't ambiguous, but it does explain why you this multi to describe two is just as precise as dual.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's fairly obvious as to who it was directed towards

English... Please?
  • Reply 84 of 141
    Quote:

English... Please?

He was referring to me.
  • Reply 85 of 141
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    11 point multitouch...what's the other point for? "You killed my father...prepare to die"? Or is it more "Ewwww"?

For $50 more I'm getting the Nook Tablet. Between the SD card, buttons and RAM I can live with the locked bootloader.
  • Reply 86 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

11 point multitouch...what's the other point for? "You killed my father...prepare to die"? Or is it more "Ewwww"?

I'm not sure why it's 11. Maybe it's for playing head to head Fruit Ninja?
  • Reply 87 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I think it's just to make sure they have the FULL multi-touch display input covered. Especially considering what some ingenious developer could come up with.
  • Reply 88 of 141
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    deleted
  • Reply 89 of 141
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The article says:

So this is a projection for one year away?

"Amazon is expected to "surpass all other iPad rivals" in the final quarter of 2012."

Well going on this which shows less than 2% of Android devices running Honeycomb, Amazon has just doubled the number of Honeycomb tablets in the world.
  • Reply 90 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well going on this which shows less than 2% of Android devices running Honeycomb, Amazon has just doubled the number of Honeycomb tablets in the world.

The Kindle Fire runs a forked version of 2.3.4 Gingerbread, not 3.x Honeycomb.
  • Reply 91 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I swear- people on this forum just post whatever response they are thinking and don't actually read what they are responding too. It's like being in an argument and thinking about what you are going to say to the person you're arguing with instead of actually listening to them and processing what they say and then speaking.

I hope y'all aren't like this in real life- because if you are, you're either socially retarded or giant a-holes. You pick.

"I want to have an argument with you" (Monty Python (Live at Hollywood Bowl)). Isn't it ? (argue, please, it would make me so happy ..)
  • Reply 92 of 141
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You might; you made the actual 2,000,000th post.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot I knew I was destined for greatness!
  • Reply 93 of 141
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

My iPad 2 pools when I push on it moderately too. No question. My phone doesn't regardless of how hard I push. The bigger the screen, the more the flex... Simple physics. (the MBP glass is much thicker btw- so it doesn't count).

Wow. I think you and DaHarder have defective iPad2s. You really have to press quite hard to get this "pooling effect". "Moderate" pressure? I really don't think so.

The concept you and DaHarder are putting forward regarding the quality of the iPad2 vs Kindle, based on the "LCD pooling" is, really, quite ludicrous. I'm sure any reasonable person using a standard iPad2 would virtually never notice this. I've been using the iPad 1 and 2 and never noticed it.

I guess when you've only got two-finger "multitouch" on the Kindle you have to adjust for the greater pressure since it is exerted at only two points at the maximum.
  • Reply 94 of 141
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow. I think you and DaHarder have defective iPad2s. You really have to press quite hard to get this "pooling effect". "Moderate" pressure? I really don't think so.

The concept you and DaHarder are putting forward regarding the quality of the iPad2 vs Kindle, based on the "LCD pooling" is, really, quite ludicrous. I'm sure any reasonable person using a standard iPad2 would virtually never notice this. I've been using the iPad 1 and 2 and never noticed it.

Same here, never ever experienced pooling on either iPads, Just now tried to create pooling and you have to press VERY hard to get some? Stating iPad2 has a pooling flaw is from my personal experience not true, and ludicrous yeah.
  • Reply 95 of 141
    Quote:

What kind of parent doesn't have $500 to invest in their kids future?

I'd be more interested in what kind of parent would palm their job off to a $500 electronic nanny under the guise of "investing in their future" instead of just spending time with their children like they should be. Answer: a pretty pathetic one.
  • Reply 96 of 141
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I guess when you've only got two-finger "multitouch" on the Kindle you have to adjust for the greater pressure since it is exerted at only two points at the maximum.

I'm not trying to put forward any idea. I think the iPad is vastly superior both in features and build quality to the fire- after owning one and using the latter. When I push in the middle of the screen I get pooling. I have very skinny fingers, but I could have a defective one too- I never really compared it vs others hands on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'd be more interested in what kind of parent would palm their job off to a $500 electronic nanny under the guise of "investing in their future" instead of just spending time with their children like they should be. Answer: a pretty pathetic one.

I thought the same thing when I saw that post. You can use an iPad for education, but in no way am I giving it to my kids until they are much older. If its mine, I can do flash cards, etc and control it- ie they don't get to use it for games, just supervised education. That way there is never temptation. If its "theirs", what's gonna be used more- flash cards or angry birds.... 24/7. Ive seen this personally in friends kids.
  • Reply 97 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

This 3.9M is still not based on any actual data from Amazon. "A lot", "millions", "more than you", "did too!", "are not!" These are the kind of things we hear from Amazon

Plus, Apple's competitors generally talk about units shipped, not sold.

That said, I fully expect that the Fire will do well. It's priced at a point that it's an impulse buy for a lot of people and it's not a bad unit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

According to the article, Amazon loses only $2.70 per unit, so they've lost 10.53M. Still a decent chunk, but much more manageable. So long as the estimate in the article for build cost is accurate. Those typically don't include labor and such tho, so somewhere between the 2 figures.

The $2.70 figure is based solely on estimated component costs. The $50 figure is based on total manufacturing cost.

With a component cost of $201.70, it's not hard to imagine $47.30 in additional, non-component costs. Labor. Plant overhead. Utilities. Shipping. Packaging. Allowance for rejects and rework. Tech support cost (which may be included in COGS). Quality control costs.

And that's before you get into the marketing costs. If Amazon sells 10 million of these and spends $100 M in advertising, marketing, design, etc, that's an additional $10 per unit that they're losing.
  • Reply 98 of 141
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

And if it is true that it is only two touch, then it is deceptive to call it multi touch, IMO.

Amazon is guilty of fraud.
  • Reply 99 of 141
    Quote:

Sorry, but dual touch is not multitouch. The iPad is multitouch and Amazon calling their mini tablet multitouch is deceptive advertising, as ignorant people will be fooled and thinking that they're actually getting multitouch like the iPad, when in fact, it is a pathetic dual touch.

The FTC should get involved immediately to prevent further consumer fraud.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    Quote:

Anyone else crack up when they read this? Lol....

I crack up at almost every post. Many are classics. I have read them aloud to people who have trouble believing that they are real.