Sony launches PlayStation Vita handheld to reclaim mobile gaming

Comments

• Reply 121 of 223
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

"Look mommy! I'm so strong!"

EDIT: "And masculine!"

The evidence is pretty clear that excessive computer use leads to all sorts of issues. Getting out and getting physical is not masculine but wisdom in action.
  • Reply 122 of 223
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Are you really going to be away from an actual TV long enough to justify a handheld? Moreover, the iPhone makes a pretty good control for many games through Airplay. THe next version of the iPad and iPhone will also boost a significance performance boost.

probably not, im surrounded my tech & tvs, its a new toy tho, im interested in seeing how it goes, its the dedicated buttons & the size that i like, if i could hook up a bluetooth controller to my iPhone or iPad & airplay it to my apple tv, im sure that would be awesome & when the GPUs & CPUs get better that would be amazing, it would have the potential of doing some great things then, imagine playing a console quality game on your tv then you grab your phone get on a bus or train & continue playing the same game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I wouldn't do that if I were you just yet. The people that make Uncharted the bag of awesomeness it is are Naughty Dog, and Naughty Dog doesn't have anything to do with the Vita title.

Wait and see.

i didnt know that, damn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Report back please. I'm sure it will be a good experience for a hardcore gamer, I just don't see it being a roaring success that these devices had in the past. Then again if it supports non game apps well it might have a chance.

Will do!.

my brother pre-ordered a japanese version (its all region anyways) its on its way here, should arrive early next week, I'm waiting for the Australian release

its a 5" multi-touch device with gyros accelerometers front & rear cameras, so i guess it should be able to do more then play games, watch movies n music too i guess.
  • Reply 123 of 223
    I bought a PSP and took it back a week later, since I only played with it for a few hours and lost interest.

I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2, and Macbook Air, and I pretty much have at least two of these with me at all times, occasionally three. I am absolutely a fan of Apple mobile devices.

That said, you Fanboi's are SOOOOOOO stupid, and SOOOOOO cheesy. Just because Sony makes a device that can do things an iDevice can't you start throwing out all this irrelevant market nonsense as if Sales are the true mark of Quality (Cause we all know the Big Mac is the best Quality hamburger money can buy, right you simpletons?)

Dual analog controls on a mobile device?? That was why I took back the PSP; without six axis controls FPS games were unplayable ("Auto-Aim" is wretchedly boring.)

Sony makes something that does something an iPad doesn't. STOP CRYING Fanbois! It is so embarrassing being associated with you. I feel like if you were sitting at the unveiling of the Veyron you'd be pouting and screaming at everyone, "BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL! BUT GUYS! BUT GUYS LISTEN! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL!!! IT ISN'T APPPPPPPLLLLLEEE!!! WWAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

That's you. That's what you sound like. Honestly, even "hardcore gamers" are a cooler crew than you wingeing babies. Angry Birds is crap and you know it.
  • Reply 124 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

The above

This is satire, yes? Your entire post is satire, yes?
  • Reply 125 of 223
    Quote:

I bought a PSP and took it back a week later, since I only played with it for a few hours and lost interest.

I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2, and Macbook Air, and I pretty much have at least two of these with me at all times, occasionally three. I am absolutely a fan of Apple mobile devices.

That said, you Fanboi's are SOOOOOOO stupid, and SOOOOOO cheesy. Just because Sony makes a device that can do things an iDevice can't you start throwing out all this irrelevant market nonsense as if Sales are the true mark of Quality (Cause we all know the Big Mac is the best Quality hamburger money can buy, right you simpletons?)

Dual analog controls on a mobile device?? That was why I took back the PSP; without six axis controls FPS games were unplayable ("Auto-Aim" is wretchedly boring.)

Sony makes something that does something an iPad doesn't. STOP CRYING Fanbois! It is so embarrassing being associated with you. I feel like if you were sitting at the unveiling of the Veyron you'd be pouting and screaming at everyone, "BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL! BUT GUYS! BUT GUYS LISTEN! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL!!! IT ISN'T APPPPPPPLLLLLEEE!!! WWAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

That's you. That's what you sound like. Honestly, even "hardcore gamers" are a cooler crew than you wingeing babies. Angry Birds is crap and you know it.

I'm not quite sure we're the ones wingeing...

Also, are we talking about the Bugatti Veyron? Yeah, I don't think anyone cares if it does email or not. For a car like that and the price tag that comes with it...email is the last thing anyone should care about. Though Ballmer might argue that since it doesn't have a physical keyboard that business users won't be interested.
  • Reply 126 of 223
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    The iphone has the best hardware and construction but lacks physical controls.

The PS vita has the best button layout but the software is hit and miss.

Nintendo has the best software catalogue but the construction is half-assed, plastic, clamshell, two-screened, awkward, behemoth with zero battery life.

What's a gamer to do?
  • Reply 127 of 223
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I don't understand why we don't have a game controller case being sold for the iPhone and developed in conjunction with major titles yet? Oh I know why. Because most of the developers of those titles haven't caved yet. They haven't yet been convinced that selling the same game at $5 to a 200,000,000 market is just as good as selling it for $50 to a 20,000,000 market. They will cave though. A little this year, a lot over the next five, completely over the next 10.
  • Reply 128 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about this: There are no hardcore gamers, just hardcore investments in gaming.

A hardcore gamer hates console gaming. They hate that most PC games are nothing more then ported console games. The hardcore gamer will spend 500.00 on the latest GPU and not even think twice about it.

I use to be a hardcore gamer because games look far better on a PC then they do on a console. The problem is most games these days are made for the console.

Good example is Battlefield 3 was just released and broke just about every sales record for console gaming. The PC version looks unreal.

The downside to this is price. With DX11 the games can push just about any system you can build the problem is that you could spend thousands to play a 60.00 game. Which is why hardcore PC gaming is just about dead. The hardcore gamer is the guy with a 5k rig not the console gamer.
  • Reply 129 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

A hardcore gamer hates console gaming. They hate that most PC games are nothing more then ported console games. The hardcore gamer will spend 500.00 on the latest GPU and not even think twice about it.

I use to be a hardcore gamer because games look far better on a PC then they do on a console. The problem is most games these days are made for the console.

Good example is Battlefield 3 was just released and broke just about every sales record for console gaming. The PC version looks unreal.

The downside to this is price. With DX11 the games can push just about any system you can build the problem is that you could spend thousands to play a 60.00 game. Which is why hardcore PC gaming is just about dead. The hardcore gamer is the guy with a 5k rig not the console gamer.

No!...
  • Reply 130 of 223
    I know this is a powerful hardware today but what about next year? Unlike iOS and Android devices which refresh throughout the year, Sony portable gaming devices typically have 5-6 year life-cycle. VITA will be pretty dated in terms of hardware in about year or two.
  • Reply 131 of 223
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is satire, yes? Your entire post is satire, yes?

Why the in-credulousness? He's got a point.
  • Reply 132 of 223
    I'll reconsider getting a focused portable gaming system when game prices drop from the $40+ that they're circling right now. I've maybe spent $40 on game apps for my iPhone all year, and that's for at least 25 individual apps.

I know they'll release quite a few "epic" games on the Vita, ala Uncharted, but you know a year from now the platform will be flooded with a bunch of Plants vs Zombies/Cooking Mama/Angry Birds games that'll cost at least $20 a pop - the exact same games I can get through the App store for $1 or $2. That's what I see happening with the DS.
  • Reply 133 of 223
    I agree. Sony never meant the Vita as competition to iPhone. The cameras on the vita are very low MPix, but very high frame rate. And the general size of it and the way the thumb sticks pop out without fear shows that it's a different animal. I own an iPhone and an iPad. They are so easy to use and fun to work with but not to play with. I hate it when game developers try to implement analogue sticks on the touch screen. It just doesn't work. Their I said it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 134 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wishchild View Post

I know this is a powerful hardware today but what about next year? Unlike iOS and Android devices which refresh throughout the year, Sony portable gaming devices typically have 5-6 year life-cycle. VITA will be pretty dated in terms of hardware in about year or two.

Same goes for PC vs Console. But look how well the consoles are doing now. Game developers actually prefer consoles over PC because of piracy reasons and hardware compatibility issues. Look, months from now I'm sure there will be a Tegra 3 or an apple A6, but they won't have two analogue sticks, shoulder buttons, PSN and SCE backing them up for years.
  • Reply 135 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They will cave though. A little this year, a lot over the next five, completely over the next 10.

So what? Should we just put the whole world on hold for 5 years, so Apple can finally make mobile gaming controls comparable to what Sony will do with the Vita?

Please. Like the poster above said: you fanboys are pathetic. I assume most of you are 40+ guys that never played games to begin with but now all of the sudden think they're he experts cause Steve jobs made them shoot little birds on their iPhone.
  • Reply 136 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthijst View Post

So what? Should we just put the whole world on hold for 5 years, so Apple can finally make mobile gaming controls comparable to what Sony will do with the Vita?

Please. Like the poster above said: you fanboys are pathetic. I assume most of you are 40+ guys that never played games to begin with but now all of the sudden think they're he experts cause Steve jobs made them shoot little birds on their iPhone.

Years ago I remember Mr. Jobs identifying the Sony Walkman cassette player as a great device. We can certainly take a page or two from his life. He wasnt afraid to admit when something was good. I admire the engineer. Please lets keep him out of this. I hope you agree. And I feel the same way when I read some of these comments.
  • Reply 137 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lamanuwa View Post

Years ago I remember Mr. Jobs identifying the Sony Walkman cassette player as a great device. We can certainly take a page or two from his life. He wasnt afraid to admit when something was good. I admire the engineer. Please lets keep him out of this. I hope you agree. And I feel the same way when I read some of these comments.

Was Steve even an engineer?
  • Reply 138 of 223
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Hey Sony! Just an FYI ... it's 2011, not 2007. You're about four years late to the party ...

I take it you are not aware of the Sony PSP.
  • Reply 139 of 223
    Quote:

After I had read the first page of this thread, this is pretty much what I was thinking too.

Especially after playing GTAIII on my phone. Give me a physical analogue controller any day for that type of game.
  • Reply 140 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The iphone has the best hardware and construction but lacks physical controls.

The PS vita has the best button layout but the software is hit and miss.

Nintendo has the best software catalogue but the construction is half-assed, plastic, clamshell, two-screened, awkward, behemoth with zero battery life.

What's a gamer to do?

Cool, since you have a Vita, what's your opinion?

The Vita has the best hardware - it's far far more powerful than the A5.

It has all the buttons that many types of game require, and the accelerometers, etc, for the rest.

And a tasty OLED display too (unless it's PenTile...). The problem is the games catalogue right now - hopefully it has the ability to run the Android games on the Android market (or via Sony's own market).

As for Nintendo, they've always made plasticky portable systems, and the first year or two of sales have always been a bit poor, and then three years later everyone seems to have one. But I think they're too far behind the curve with the 3DS, they always cheap out on the CPU/GPU, and they did it again this time round at a time when they needed to make it count. Then they went and priced the system really high, and wondered why people didn't buy it.

Pricing will also be the hurdle the Vita has to overcome. The economy isn't brilliant so are people going to put down that amount of cash up front?