Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In the same vein, Apple apparently "chose" not to offer the most compelling iOS5 feature to the iPhone4 feature list: Siri

Siri isn't an iOS 5 feature, it's an iPhone 4S feature.
  • Reply 62 of 193
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Absolutely agree. I don't think Apple's decision (yes they made a choice) is on the same level with Samsung's. Sammy has made the choice not to offer any of Android 4.s's upgrades and the reason is questionable, more more so than Apple's. I pointed out too that Samsung doesn't have the same flexibilty to pick and choose what features of ICS to offer. They either had to dump Touchwiz in large part, or offer ICS as is.

I've not been following this very closely - I know they said that. So does the Galaxy S2 with ICS use Touchwiz?
  • Reply 63 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Siri isn't an iOS 5 feature, it's an iPhone 4S feature.

Hmmm. . . .

It's sure integrated pretty tightly into the OS for it simply to be a feature. Perhaps that's all it is like you say.

\
  • Reply 64 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I've not been following this very closely - I know they said that. So does the Galaxy S2 with ICS use Touchwiz?

I don't know. I've never actually seen or used one.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows it does, Version 4.0. Apparently quite different from the version on the original Galaxy S according to the brief bits I just read.
  • Reply 65 of 193
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Quote: " (you) mentioning marketing and infrastructure limits in a followup (which I tend to agree with by the way)".

Undeniable proof that I acknowledged it was a possible issue. All this because you wanted to avoid just saying "yes the iPhone 4 hardware will support Siri."

Me stating that again doesn't change that you claim it's was all marketing and nothing to do with HW. You're back peddling. Just admit you A) were just being a troll with your obviously false comment, or B) had a brain fart (again) for which you are oow embarrassed for not recognizing Siri is more than the handset HW.
  • Reply 66 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Me stating that again doesn't change that you claim it's was all marketing and nothing to do with HW. You're back peddling. Just admit you A) were just being a troll with your obviously false comment, or B) had a brain fart (again) for which you are oow embarrassed for not recognizing Siri is more than the handset HW.

Just admit I never said that was the only reason. You just can't let it go, and still being dishonest. Post what you will Solipsism. Nothing more to be gained by pointing out your picking and choosing of statements you decide to acknowledge in an attempt to somehow avoid answering a simple query and throw the blame back this way. It's now reached the point of silly and petty, undeserving of any further time spent on replying to your agenda.
  • Reply 67 of 193
    Quote:

Just admit I never said that was the onlyreason. You just can't let it go, and still being dishonest.

"...Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it?"

1) If you thought it could be for other reasons you certainly don't state them or even elude them.

2) You definitively stated that it was "not the inability of the hardware to support [Siri]."
  • Reply 68 of 193
    Quote:

Hmmm. . . .

It's sure integrated pretty tightly into the OS for it simply to be a feature. Perhaps that's all it is like you say.

\

Check out the iOS 5 page at Apple.com. Siri isn't mentioned once. iOS 5 is available for a multitude of devices without Siri being included. It's currently an iPhone 4S only feature.
  • Reply 69 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Check out the iOS 5 page at Apple.com. Siri isn't mentioned once. iOS 5 is available for a multitude of devices without Siri being included. It's currently an iPhone 4S only feature.

He acknowledges it's not an iOS 5.0 feature, his argument is there is no reason that it shouldn't be because, as he argued, older iPhones have been shown to run the local Siri SW.
  • Reply 70 of 193
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

PS? ....Slaaaapy....Slaaaaaapy.... come out to plaaaay......!!!

Man! Who is this dude Slappy? He's like a King around here!

He's captured the imagination of every would-be schoolyard bully on the entire site!

Good job, Slappy m'boy!
  • Reply 71 of 193
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Agree.

Also. Expect the $12.5 billion Android protection money Google is paying for Moto to cause Google's stock price to crash.

The Moto acquisition is going to go down as one of the DUMBEST deal in the history of M&A.

Especially when Google found that most of Motorola's patents are registered as FRAND...
  • Reply 72 of 193
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

Inconvenient. Nobody cares. What community?
  • Reply 73 of 193
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.

What percentage of the os is missing?
  • Reply 74 of 193
    This is a sad day for Gatorguy ROFL

When will you realize that Android is crap?
  • Reply 75 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S smartphone and 7-inch Galaxy Tab will not receive the latest version of Android, because Samsung has said its custom TouchWiz user interface, not Google's operating system, is too taxing on the hardware.

Android device makers like Samsung and others apply their own user interface elements to Google's free, open-source Android operating system on handsets, tablets and other devices to differentiate themselves from the large number of Android products on the market. On Samsung's devices, this "experience enhancing" software is called TouchWiz.

But it's the addition of TouchWiz to Android that will keep popular devices like the Samsung Galaxy S from running Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich," according to The Verge. Though the Galaxy S has a speedy 1GHz Hummingbird processor and enough memory for ICS, Samsung has revealed the software update won't be coming to that device, which sold more than 10 million units last year.

But the Galaxy S sports the same internal hardware as Google's Nexus S smartphone, and Nexus S owners can already obtain Android 4.0 through an over-the-air update.

"Samsung addresses that inconsistency by again pointing to the differing software provision; the Nexus S only has to run the basic Android OS, whereas the Galaxy S has to deliver TouchWiz, carrier services, video calling software, and, in some markets, mobile TV," wrote Vlad Savov.

That stands in contrast to Apple, which this year kept around its iPhone 3GS, first released in 2009, with a free update to iOS 5. Meanwhile, Android phones often ship with an outdated version of Google's mobile operating system, and the systems are also rarely updated, even during the original contract term of the handset.

Blogger Michael Degusta revealed in October that 45 percent of Google's installed base of active Android users were stuck using software released in the middle of 2010. That's because handset makers like Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others do not make those updates available to phones, and users cannot circumvent their inaction without "rooting" their handset.

Samsung's explanation for why Galaxy S and 7-inch Galaxy Tab users won't get ICS comes soon after Motorola and Sony Ericsson also told customers they would not be able to update to Android 4.0.

Wow. I don't even know where to start, so I guess I'll try from the top.

The Galaxy S series and the 7 inch galaxy tab can still run ICS. It is not too taxing on the hardware. That's just wrong. The only reason Samsung won't update them to ICS, is because of the size of the ROM. It has already been proven that as long as the CPU is at least 1ghz (look at the Nexus S), it can run ICS like a breeze. Because of the ROM limitation, they cannot put the core Android OS along with Touchwiz in there.

What does this mean? AOSP Android and CM9 android options will be available to both of them. Yes, the entire series will run ICS. I myself have been able to run ICS on a 2 year old Samsung Captivate without any lag or issue.

The only issue here is the size of Touchwiz. It has nothing to do with how fast the device is.

"Blogger Michael Degusta revealed in October that 45 percent of Google's installed base of active Android users were stuck using software released in the middle of 2010."

GINGERBREAD LAUNCHED DECEMBER 16th 2010. It is still a fully functional OS and has no incompatibility issues with any application.

"Meanwhile, Android phones often ship with an outdated version of Google's mobile operating system, and the systems are also rarely updated, even during the original contract term of the handset."

So gingerbread is outdated now? Hah. So is any non iphone 4S software outdated too? I mean, it doesn't have Siri. Same idiotic concept.

Samsung's explanation for why Galaxy S and 7-inch Galaxy Tab users won't get ICS comes soon after Motorola and Sony Ericsson also told customers they would not be able to update to Android 4.0

Wait, what? the Active, Arc, Mini, Mini Pro, Neo, Play and Xperia Pro handsets from Sony are getting official ICS. Motorola is also releasing ICS for all dual core devices.

Why are there posts like these anyway? Is this AndroidInsider?

I love correcting them though. Makes me laugh every time at how wrong they are.
  • Reply 76 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Inconvenient. Nobody cares. What community?

Just on the XDA forums:

4,178,570 users.

1,052,217 threads.

21,280 online at the time of this post.

Yeah, nobody cares and there's no community.

• Reply 77 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.

I can assume you don't have one. I do. I am running 5.0 on my 3GS and I love it. Siri would be cool, but the new features the update added with 4.0 and this one kept me from needing to buy an new phone. This is why Googles numbers are higher too. Users or forced to upgrade to get the newest software for their phones
  • Reply 78 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"...Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it…"

1) If you thought it could be for other reasons you certainly don't state them or even elude them.

2) You definitively stated that it was "not the inability of the hardware to support [Siri]."

Why don't you and gatorguy just get a room? The sexual tension is distracting the rest of us.
  • Reply 79 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I can assume you don't have one. I do. I am running 5.0 on my 3GS and I love it. Siri would be cool, but the new features the update added with 4.0 and this one kept me from needing to buy an new phone. This is why Googles numbers are higher too. Users or forced to upgrade to get the newest software for their phones

And Apple users are forced to upgrade to get the newest software on their phones too.

Apple knows perfectly well that Siri runs great on the 3GS/4, but they needed to give you a reason to buy a new device. So they held it back.
  • Reply 80 of 193
    Android user base is heading towards saturation with the current rate of activation of about 700K devices per day. This is happening with Version 2.x of the operating system. ICS - Android 4.0 - is going to find itself locked out of a saturated market and the user experience gap between Android 2.x and Windows Mobile 7.5 or Apple IOS will continue to grow. Add malware and a market without safeguards and it makes you wonder if Android is working hard to screw itself over.