Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS

Comments

• Reply 121 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

But - it's completely unusable without Siri. Hang on - Siri is just a useless gimmick. We have a good old logical paradox.

Nah, Siri is not bad for Beta. They just need to keep improving it, and once the API is opened up to all developers, gimmick it is no more. It will be as essential as a microphone, camera, speaker, or even touch interface. Siri is the new multi-touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I also like that Apple releases their updates for a product all at the same time. I follow tech news and I have no idea when the few eligible Android-based devices will even get ICS because it's all scattered and mostly just promises made to be broken.

PS: I especially love when people were calling Lion crap because Quicken 2007 didn't work on it as if that's Apple's fault.

Well, Lion 10.7.0 was a bit iffy. 10.7.2 is smooth, VMWare Fusion 4.1.x is superb. For my 5400rpm drive, it's really not bad. When I get my MBA 13" Ivy Bridge with 320GB SSD... Oh boy. However, iPad 3 is more critical at this stage. Probably one of the "last" great projects Steve was closely involved in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You want to buy a Galaxy S?

We still sell them here in Australia, an 8GB model, part of Samsung copying EVERYTHING Apple does, apart from the software updates that is.

In Perth now I see almost everyone with an iPhone, usually iPhone 4 at least. Vodafone is flogging the Samsung Galaxy SII but I think for WA Telstra NextG (ie. 850mhz or whatever) on Telstra dongles, MiFi and iPhone 3GS+ is the only decent 3G coverage here. In Perth CBD on iPhone 4S one night I was doing 8mbit/sec down. Here in the outer suburbs only the regular 1-2mbit/sec though.
  • Reply 122 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Damn, well I'm glad I'm not getting 6x overcharged for the apps I buy.

1. The FCC also cleared Galaxy Tab 10.1s for in flight entertainment

2. The 3GS is also given away for a free with a new contract. Will that be supported in 2 years? Nope.

3. Malware? I guarantee you have never met someone that has ever downloaded malware from the Android market. I have never ran into any app that did anything malicious at all.

4. Google, George Mason University and the NSA are working on making Android the most secure platform yet.

5. The DoD has already cleared android tablets for official use

6. Who said it took too much processing power? You didn't read the article, did you? It's the size of Samsung's Touchwiz. Beta builds of ICS are already available for those devices.

7. As far as more profits from the iOS store, let's take a look at that real quick.

Open up your iphone's app store. Take a look at the top 25 free apps. Most of them are for kids. Kids that use in-app purchases. It's really that simple. Little games with in-app purchases have been the most profitable apps this year. And with more teens/tweens using iphones, it makes more revenue for the developers.

In response:

1. iPads are cleared to be used as integral and key flight instruments for the pilots. Android tablets are cleared to show the passengers movies...hmmmm...

2. The 3GS is 3 years old, and you are comparing it to phones released this year, i.e. a phone that has already received over 3 years of completely up to date OS support compared to phones that will never receive official OS updates.

3. I actually agree with you, I never experienced this under my Android years, and don't know anyone who did.

4. Ok, but it seems they have a very long way to go yet.

5. Another "me too" achievement for Android vs iOS

6. I don't understand this anyway. What does the physical ROM size have to do with anything? Am I missing something? It seems like a measured corporate excuse to me, but you can clarify for me if I am way off base there.

7. In my app store region (Sweden) there are two such apps in the top 12, Dragon Vale and Smurf's Village. I just checked, and both these are on Android's top ten list as well (Dragon Vale is called "Defender"). The number one spot goes to a national newspaper, and Numbers, Pages, Keynote, and Garageband all are in the top 12. FIFA Football (Soccer) 2012 and a $60 dollar marine navigation app (read sea charts) are there as well. The other four are pay games ranging from $0.99 to $4.99. I can't speak for other app store regions, but it really does put a negative light on your assumptions about where money is being spent in the Apple iOS app store. It says a lot about the platform when productivity apps make up half of the top ten grossing apps.

Here's a good unbiased analysis of this "freemium" app model...apparently these sorts of apps generate a higher percent of the The Android Marketplace's revenue than Apple's App Store. But I don't think that supports your argument, so you should probably ignore this link:

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...re.asp?c=36376
  • Reply 123 of 193
    A lot of people are missing the point.

Yeah running iOS 5 on the 3S doesn't give you all the features of a 4S but it does put your phone in the same pool of APIs for developers and reduces fragmentation of the platform.

If your developing for Android what can you count on? You can count on developing for 10 different versions of Android, instead of 1 or 2 on iOS.

Developers and retailers should also take note that iOS users make up 92% of all online moblie purchases. I don't mean just Apps, I mean buying things online with their phone. iOS users spend money. Android users buy "free" or "cheap" phones and then are unwilling or unable to spend money with or on it.

Most Android users in truth are just using them as FEATURE PHONES on PRE-PAID. IF you travel outside of the US and Western Europe it's obvious as day.
  • Reply 124 of 193
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nah, Siri is not bad for Beta. They just need to keep improving it, and once the API is opened up to all developers, gimmick it is no more. It will be as essential as a microphone, camera, speaker, or even touch interface. Siri is the new multi-touch.

I didn't make that point very clearly. I was just amused that some of the critics who insist that Siri is worthless are the same ones arguing that iOS5 is incomplete/crippled without it. Personally I think Siri is very impressive, and a bold and major step forwards in device UI.
  • Reply 125 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Android users buy "free" or "cheap" phones and then are unwilling or unable to spend money with or on it.

I'm sorry but that is such crap. It's kind of like the "Macs are more expensive than PCs" line that everyone here will be happy to dispute.

The problem is that there are 2 different types of people with Android powered phones. There's the people who intentionally buy an Android phone and those that buy a phone that happens to be Android powered. That first category is no different than the people that buy iPhones. They're not getting the bottom of the heap, B1G1 free phones.
  • Reply 126 of 193
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

And we have the trolls show up who just don't get it. Techtards be damned - the overwhelming majority of consumers do not want to, know how to, or are to complacent to try to root their devices. They should just work, and be updated seamlessly, but are getting screwed by these companies selling them crap. Obsolete the day they walk out of the store.
  • Reply 127 of 193
    Quote:

Did you miss the part where Apple watered down the update to give you SOME incentive to upgrade your device?

[insult removed]. It is not "watered down". It is simply lacking Siri because apple has determined that performance would be impacted to an unacceptable level. Something they are not willing to do, unlike the other idiots out their selling phones and "tablets". They are perfectly willing to put out an inferior user experience and screw their customers in the process. This is why Apple has the highest user satisfaction levels of any other provider by far. [insult removed]
  • Reply 128 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Everything works on the 3gs except Siri what was determined to need more horsepower to run than the 3gs can handle. Apple will not do something to give an inferior customer experience, unlike the other clowns in the business.
  • Reply 129 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.

Bullshit, bullshit, and more bullshit....
  • Reply 130 of 193
    My mother has Huawei U8650 and so far she hasn't seen a single Android update on her carrier. Not that this comes as a surprise really.
  • Reply 131 of 193

Is it just me, or does the name TouchWiz conjure up an odd mental picture....
  • Reply 132 of 193
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

Yup...

Keep trying to sell that feature to the 99% of consumers who think regular computers are too complicated let alone

Wild West, ROM flashing life wasting android shenanigans.

Dream on.
  • Reply 133 of 193
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nothing odder than HP's WipePoop UI.
  • Reply 134 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I didn't make that point very clearly. I was just amused that some of the critics who insist that Siri is worthless are the same ones arguing that iOS5 is incomplete/crippled without it. Personally I think Siri is very impressive, and a bold and major step forwards in device UI.

Ha ha okay, I totally missed your sarcasm in the post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And we have the trolls show up who just don't get it. Techtards be damned - the overwhelming majority of consumers do not want to, know how to, or are to complacent to try to root their devices. They should just work, and be updated seamlessly, but are getting screwed by these companies selling them crap. Obsolete the day they walk out of the store.

Yesterday at a Christmas party I had a "business analyst" brag about his work with "solutions architects" and "enterprise deployment" and how everything in the "enterprise" is Java blah blah blah... At this stage I'm really disliking this guy, something's not adding up with his attitude.

Then bingo... He told me it's now down between .Net and Java but a significant amount of "enterprise" is doing Java because Java is cross-platform, and even runs on iPad, iPhone and mobile phones [presumably including Android].

Later on the pieces fell into place when he was talking about how he wanted to get a Samsung Galaxy SII and Galaxy Tab, with another guy bragging about how he got his Samsung tablet "before anyone in Australia", and how he had to order a USB charger for it from Korea and wait 2 weeks for it. At this point I honestly thought, "My gawd, these guys are losers", and it made me ashamed to be of Asian heritage (they were high-skilled, highly-educated Asian immigrants).

Flame and flay me to death, but it's the mentality of the following that irked me, not so much Android.

1. Getting a Samsung tablet "before anyone else" ~ I suppose this is similar to Apple lust, but it seems bizarre because that's like wanting to be the first to get a rock when everyone else has crystals.

2. "Enterprise" is... blah blah blah. The impression that "Enterprise" is better than anyone else. Never impressed me. This piece of work also blurted out, since I helped his mum, which is actually how I know them, with her iTunes and laptop, "Oh good, you can do Level 1 Support and I'll do Level 2 Support".

3. Java is cross-platform and runs on everything including phones and tablets and iPad. What do you say to this. And this guy is a "business analyst" for one of the largest government utilities in the state!

I could go on, but at this stage either you're going to generally agree with me or think I'm a too-sensitive Apple kool-aid elitist b*stard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Tee hee hee and I thought *I* was being immature... TouchWiz... Hey, don't touch it while you're having a whiz or you'll get ice cream sandwhich all over it!
  • Reply 135 of 193
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Just on the XDA forums:

4,178,570 users.

1,052,217 threads.

21,280 online at the time of this post.

Yeah, nobody cares and there's no community.

How many actual Androids users are going to do any of the things mentioned by the original post? So yeah, in the larger picture most users don't care.
  • Reply 136 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Here it goes again. Somebody always complains about their old iPhone not getting the full feature of the new iOS. Three years ago when you bought your 3Gs, did Apple advertise or promise you that in three years you'll be getting FaceTime, iMessage, Notification Center, etc.? NO! You should be happy that you're even getting the update at all. Besides your 3Gs got iCloud, iMessage and Notification Center, which are extremely huge features. So stop moaning, otherwise just upgrade your phone.

Some of you guys are so blind by your love of the fruit. Take your qoute and ask youself the same thing about the Samsung. When someone purchased the Galaxy last year were they told it would get ICS? NO! But here you are turning the table and screaming about how bad Android and Samsung are. I believe Samsung simply has the BALLS to do what every other manufacture would like to do. I firmly believe Apple would have liked to NOT update the 3Gs VS putting the money and resources into it running iOS5. One thing some of you guys have got to remember is that Apple, Samsung, Google etc are out to make money. They have got to satisfy the Board, Stockholders, etc. They don't give a rats ass about us, and if they ever show that they do it's simply a marketing ploy.

No, I am not an Android Fanboy. I simply refuse to be blinded by my appreciation for Apple products.
  • Reply 137 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post

Some of you guys are so blind by your love of the fruit. Take your qoute and ask youself the same thing about the Samsung. When someone purchased the Galaxy last year were they told it would get ICS? NO! But here you are turning the table and screaming about how bad Android and Samsung are. I believe Samsung simply has the BALLS to do what every other manufacture would like to do. I firmly believe Apple would have liked to NOT update the 3Gs VS putting the money and resources into it running iOS5. One thing some of you guys have got to remember is that Apple, Samsung, Google etc are out to make money. They have got to satisfy the Board, Stockholders, etc. They don't give a rats ass about us, and if they ever show that they do it's simply a marketing ploy.

No, I am not an Android Fanboy. I simply refuse to be blinded by my appreciation for Apple products.

You are talking about company that just axed FCS suite in favour of FCPX. If there is a company with balls on this planet then it's Apple.

Apple knows very well that no one is interested in a device that has no future support. What samsung does is very simple, they make sh*tload of devices and sell them and they couldn't care less about supporting them. This just proves the point. It also shows that when OS comes from one company and hardware comes from the other you get one big mess.
  • Reply 138 of 193
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Most Android users in truth are just using them as FEATURE PHONES on PRE-PAID. IF you travel outside of the US and Western Europe it's obvious as day.

You will find the same with a lot of smartphones (Apple included). But not sure of your point, you have to count the phone as it was sold, it was sold as a smartphone, so get's counted as a smartphone.

Because by the same logic, a lot of laptops never move from the place they sit, so why should they be classed as a portable device?
  • Reply 139 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

You are talking about company that just axed FCS suite in favour of FCPX. If there is a company with balls on this planet then it's Apple.

Apple knows very well that no one is interested in a device that has no future support. What samsung does is very simple, they make sh*tload of devices and sell them and they couldn't care less about supporting them. This just proves the point. It also shows that when OS comes from one company and hardware comes from the other you get one big mess.

I just read the Distimo report. iPad apps alone, ie. NOT including iPhone and iPod touch apps... generate higher revenue *than all of Android Marketplace*.

2012 is like that sync icon you see. Some things will rotate one way, while the other, the other way. Android will gain in popularity but probably through the mid to low-end, with iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 2/3 staking out the mid to high-end. App revenues seem to be 50% from in-app "freemium" purchases in both Android and iOS app stores. However, Android will have a much larger number of free apps, but revenue will still be dwarfed by iOS. Look out for the Siri API for iPhone 4S, iPad 3(2?) and maybe the next iPod touch. This will trigger the next "gold rush" in apps becoming Siri-enabled. I don't forsee Apple taking a cut for Siri services, just like they don't for push notifications. Even free apps will have equal access to Siri, because I think what Apple wants to do now is start filling Siri with as much data as possible, and getting Mandarin and Cantonese as the next major language supported. I think by the end of 2012 Siri will become the planet's most advanced voice recognition system measured by data acquired. Of course, you still have Dragon Dictate and all that but again, remember the data Siri is capturing is not just words but *context*. Apple is gaining a huge amount of data on how people like to talk on their phones. I'm sure the "failed" queries are piling up too, indicating how people would like to interact with Siri, in ways that they can't right now.
  • Reply 140 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I just read the Distimo report. iPad apps alone, ie. NOT including iPhone and iPod touch apps... generate higher revenue *than all of Android Marketplace*.

2012 is like that sync icon you see. Some things will rotate one way, while the other, the other way. Android will gain in popularity but probably through the mid to low-end, with iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 2/3 staking out the mid to high-end. App revenues seem to be 50% from in-app "freemium" purchases in both Android and iOS app stores. However, Android will have a much larger number of free apps, but revenue will still be dwarfed by iOS. Look out for the Siri API for iPhone 4S, iPad 3(2?) and maybe the next iPod touch. This will trigger the next "gold rush" in apps becoming Siri-enabled. I don't forsee Apple taking a cut for Siri services, just like they don't for push notifications. Even free apps will have equal access to Siri, because I think what Apple wants to do now is start filling Siri with as much data as possible, and getting Mandarin and Cantonese as the next major language supported. I think by the end of 2012 Siri will become the planet's most advanced voice recognition system measured by data acquired. Of course, you still have Dragon Dictate and all that but again, remember the data Siri is capturing is not just words but *context*. Apple is gaining a huge amount of data on how people like to talk on their phones. I'm sure the "failed" queries are piling up too, indicating how people would like to interact with Siri, in ways that they can't right now.

Yes, Apple is always 3 steps ahead of the 'competition'.