New Apple suit claims Galaxy Nexus infringes on 'slide-to-unlock' feature

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am able to get 30 days of heavy writing out of my iPad on one charge. I achieve this by keeping it in standby and using a dry erase marker on the glass. Clearly this is the result of superior design by Apple.

How typical or you to resort to inane absurdities when faced with that with which you can't successfully dispute/comprehend.

Good Luck With That
  • Reply 102 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

This is patented by Apple:

Along with line art that resembles the image.

The Galaxy Nexus implementation should not be covered by the patent.

look I`m black , you are white, but we have the very same pigment. Samsung and google can abstract some pigment but their white is not transparent.
  • Reply 103 of 171
    Quote:

I am able to get 30 days of heavy writing out of my iPad on one charge. I achieve this by keeping it in standby and using a dry erase marker on the glass. Clearly this is the result of superior design by Apple.

LOVE IT!
  • Reply 104 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

How typical or you to resort to inane absurdities when faced with that with which you can't successfully dispute/comprehend.

Good Luck With That

I already successfully decimated your inane and absurd comments as a "heavy user". Now I'm just playing with my food so to speak.
  • Reply 105 of 171
    Quote:

That's absolutely meaningless. From the image it looks about 35% of the power was used when the phone was in Phone Idle or Cell Standby. And judging by the excessive battery usage of Android OS over Screen, and the image, I'm guessing you have turned your display brightness down to the lowest setting or near it.

I somehow doubt he can have the brightness at its lowest setting. I remember when he first joined AI he had to center everything because he has a certain vision condition. Just a guess, but I'm sure I'll be corrected.
  • Reply 106 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I somehow doubt he can have the brightness at its lowest setting. I remember when he first joined AI he had to center everything because he has a certain vision condition. Just a guess, but I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Is centerjustifyphilia a medical condition?
  • Reply 107 of 171
    Quote:

I already successfully decimated your inane and absurd comments as a "heavy user". Now I'm just playing with my food so to speak.

You did nothing of the sort, instead you only reinforced (yet again) that you're little more than an overly obtuse, childish, arrogant, needlessly argumentative, disrespectful and arrogant jerk unable to accept that there are those with experience, abilities, and knowledge far exceeding your own in some (often many) areas.

Now Chew (or choke) On That!
  • Reply 108 of 171
    Quote:

You did nothing of the sort, instead you only reinforced (yet again) that you're little more than an overly obtuse, childish, arrogant, needlessly argumentative, disrespectful and arrogant jerk unable to accept that there are those with experience, abilities, and knowledge far exceeding your own in some (often many) areas.

Nothing more childish than that rant.

Better watch out, the mods don't take too kindly to personal attacks.
  • Reply 109 of 171
    Quote:

1) Yes I did.

2) You're projecting.

3) Sometimes.

4) Usually.

5) Nope.

6) Absolutely.

7) Not more than you.

8) Debatable.

9) Not you.

10) You need to cry more before I can begin to choke on your tears.
  • Reply 110 of 171
    Quote:

Nothing more childish than that rant.

Better watch out, the mods don't take too kindly to personal attacks.

Well then why is this 'SolipsismX' (in all his many guises) still around here, given that all he does is antagonize others and post unprovoked personal attacks?

Don't even bother responding... It'll likely not be worth reading.

Be Well... (or not)
  • Reply 111 of 171
    Quote:

Well then why is this 'SolipsismX' (in all his many guises) still around here, given that all he does is antagonize others and post unprovoked personal attacks?

Be Well... (or not)

1) All my many guises? Was it really that hard to figure out my new forum name that included my previous name? I deprecated the old when I started the new. Nothing nefarious despite your implications.

2) If you see any ad hominem personal attacks made by me by all means report me but I usually take care to address the post and not the poster. I'm sure you're a lovely gent in person.
  • Reply 112 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I've often wondered what the tinkering is intended to achieve. Is the end point some actual enhanced functionality or just non-standard personalization of the interface? Or something else again? Is it worth the effort?

You can do anything you want. You can overclock, mess with the file system, change icons, enable free tethering, change fonts/etc, remove useless things, and so on. The benefits are roughly the same as jailbreaking an iPhone, except Android devs often have access to the source of whatever they're modding, so there is more flexibility in a lot of areas (like the kernel), though on iOS there are a lot more devs working on way fewer devices, so the iOS guys manage to get an impressive amount done w/o access to any iOS source code. Hats off to both camps.

It is worth the effort if you care about that kind of thing. If you think installing Linux sounds fun, you'd probably enjoy having a rooted phone. If you think it sounds like a headache with no tangible benefit, you probably wouldn't. A lot of people get carried away and then burnt out, but the thing to do is just pick a ROM that you like and stick with it; flash updates when features are added that you want or a bug that is irking you gets squashed. If you do that, you do a lot less tinkering and a lot more using your phone as a proper consumer electronics device.
  • Reply 113 of 171
    Quote:

Be Well... (or not)

Not that I'm tag-teaming or working in concert with SolipsismX, I feel the need to dispute your claim. Having been more of an observer than a participant in this forum over the past 4 years, I find Solip to be one of the most fair and balanced posters. While he may come across as an Apple evangelist, he also gives credit where credit is due and backs up essentially all of his claims about Apple and doesn't hide the facts when competing smartphones exceed the performance or UI of Apple's products.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you, on the other hand, have only posted 'facts' based on personal usage of the plethora of CE devices you own. Never have I seen Solip post a photo of his own phone boasting about the longevity of battery life based on 'heavy use'. How is that, at all, a scientific or controlled test method? You are making a claim and backing it up with a vague and obtuse explanation and a picture of your phone screen.

From what I see, he's trying to point out to you, albeit with sarcasm, how silly your claims are because they're so baseless. Unprovoked? C'mon dude, you're asking for everything you're getting, IMO.

Signed,

An objective observer
  • Reply 114 of 171
    Quote:

1) All my many guises?

Yup. There are only two actual people posting on this forum, him, and everyone else, who are just SolipsismX's many guises.
  • Reply 115 of 171
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, it wouldn't. The Neonode device does not use slide to unlock. Samsung is pretending that ANY sliding action must be prior art - and that's just not so.

But then, what would you expect from a company whose attorneys in a trade dress suit can't even tell the difference between the original and their copy?

Dutch judges said that Neonode slide to unlock was prior art and warned Apple of not using this patent in the trial because it would be invalidated
  • Reply 116 of 171
    Quote:

Not that I'm tag-teaming or working in concert with SolipsismX, I feel the need to dispute your claim. Having been more of an observer than a participant in this forum over the past 4 years, I find Solip to be one of the most fair and balanced posters. While he may come across as an Apple evangelist, he also gives credit where credit is due and backs up essentially all of his claims about Apple and doesn't hide the facts when competing smartphones exceed the performance or UI of Apple's products.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you, on the other hand, have only posted 'facts' based on personal usage of the plethora of CE devices you own. Never have I seen Solip post a photo of his own phone boasting about the longevity of battery life based on 'heavy use'. How is that, at all, a scientific or controlled test method? You are making a claim and backing it up with a vague and obtuse explanation and a picture of your phone screen.

From what I see, he's trying to point out to you, albeit with sarcasm, how silly your claims are because they're so baseless. Unprovoked? C'mon dude, you're asking for everything you're getting, IMO.

Signed,

An objective observer

And therein lies your (among other's) biggest problem: Ridiculous Assumptions.

FACT: Never once did I claim that anything I posted was based upon "scientific or controlled test methods" - NEVER.

The subject of battery life entered into the conversation when melgross, AI's resident global moderator, replied to geekdad's post with the following:

"You're making this up, and it's easy to tell. The battery life isn't better than the 4S, it's worse. Not that untypical for Android phones which have been plagued with poor battery life in general." (NOTE: since retracted)

I, in turn, informed him that my Galaxy Nexus is not "plagued with poor battery life" as a result of my taking the time to properly optimize a few settings, even going so far as to "back up essentially all of [my] claims" with actual pics of my very own device's battery usage screen.

All of this other over-the-top nonsense was concocted by yourself and SolipsismX, and upon my providing the aforementioned pictorial evidence of the battery life I am (in fact) getting with my Galaxy Nexus under various usage scenarios, you two choose to resort to the usual childish mocking, negativity, and insults that have sadly become the hallmark of this environment, rather than merely accept that which was clearly presented as my real-world battery life experience with said device.

That you two, or anyone else, can't accept that there are those who's experiences, based upon "based on personal usage", is beyond your own frame-of-reference, is your problem, and not a lack of integrity on my part.

Have A Nice Day.
  • Reply 117 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostsync View Post

You can do anything you want. You can overclock, mess with the file system, change icons, enable free tethering, change fonts/etc, remove useless things, and so on. The benefits are roughly the same as jailbreaking an iPhone, except Android devs often have access to the source of whatever they're modding, so there is more flexibility in a lot of areas (like the kernel), though on iOS there are a lot more devs working on way fewer devices, so the iOS guys manage to get an impressive amount done w/o access to any iOS source code. Hats off to both camps.

It is worth the effort if you care about that kind of thing. If you think installing Linux sounds fun, you'd probably enjoy having a rooted phone. If you think it sounds like a headache with no tangible benefit, you probably wouldn't. A lot of people get carried away and then burnt out, but the thing to do is just pick a ROM that you like and stick with it; flash updates when features are added that you want or a bug that is irking you gets squashed. If you do that, you do a lot less tinkering and a lot more using your phone as a proper consumer electronics device.

Good post.

On a semi related note I always suggest Apple devices to new buyers. ICS is finally a fully mature Android but isn't worth the investment for first timers until maybe mid this year. The ecosystem is still mainly legacy.
  • Reply 118 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Tinkering is all of the above. It is modifying aesthetic or functional aspects of something. Changing the background wallpaper is a type of tinkering. It is also a way of discovering how something works (like disassembling a clock to see it's inner workings).

Some people just like to tinker because it's fun. It doesn't have to have a purpose or end goal. Other people want something to "just work". Nothing wrong with either way. Everyone is different which is why having choices is great.

For example, Google Wallet.

The hardware to support the functionality is on the GNex. But for whatever BS reason, Verizon had the software held off. Now you can go online to sites like XDA and get the file to install GW.

So with a little internet searching, you can turn your GNex into a debit card.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Good post.

On a semi related note I always suggest Apple devices to new buyers. ICS is finally a fully mature Android but isn't worth the investment for first timers until maybe mid this year. The ecosystem is still mainly legacy.

I've been installing and using all the legacy apps with no issues. Sure they might not have been updated to take advantage of the new APIs of ICS, but the apps don't become useless just because I'm running ICS instead of GB.

I see that we've ran this thread from the validity of Apple's "slide to unlock" claims to arguing over if DaHarder's methods are reasonable...
  • Reply 119 of 171
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    I tote an iPhone 4S and also have ICS on my HP Touchpad, which features the same unlock as the nexus. There's a vague similarity, but otherwise it's not the same. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 120 of 171
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    I for one am not afraid to state that I think DaHarder's battery life claims are complete bullshit. He's a troll with a copy of Photoshop. Until independently confirmed, which they won't be, his claims can simply be dismissed as nonsense.