New Apple suit claims Galaxy Nexus infringes on 'slide-to-unlock' feature

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

And therein lies your (among other's) biggest problem: Ridiculous Assumptions.

FACT: Never once did I claim that anything I posted was based upon "scientific or controlled test methods" - NEVER.

The subject of battery life entered into the conversation when melgross, AI's resident global moderator, replied to geekdad's post with the following:

"You're making this up, and it's easy to tell. The battery life isn't better than the 4S, it's worse. Not that untypical for Android phones which have been plagued with poor battery life in general." (NOTE: since retracted)

I, in turn, informed him that my Galaxy Nexus is not "plagued with poor battery life" as a result of my taking the time to properly optimize a few settings, even going so far as to "back up essentially all of [my] claims" with actual pics of my very own device's battery usage screen.

All of this other over-the-top nonsense was concocted by yourself and SolipsismX, and upon my providing the aforementioned pictorial evidence of the battery life I am (in fact) getting with my Galaxy Nexus under various usage scenarios, you two choose to resort to the usual childish mocking, negativity, and insults that have sadly become the hallmark of this environment, rather than merely accept that which was clearly presented as my real-world battery life experience with said device.

That you two, or anyone else, can't accept that there are those who's experiences, based upon "based on personal usage", is beyond your own frame-of-reference, is your problem, and not a lack of integrity on my part.

Have A Nice Day.

Not to beat a dead horse but the reason why you are being called out on your personal experience claim is because you didn't make an attempt to demonstrate a more plausible scenario for such long battery life....such as the possibility/probability of the phone being on standby for 16 of those 30 hours while you sleep.. You conveniently left out pertinent information for us dumb guys to assume. If I were to make a claim like you, I would disclose large periods of inactivity as not to lead readers to believe that my 'rather heavy use' didn't happen during the whole time span. See how that might come across more genuine? \

Full disclosure, when not backed up with actual proof or published, verifiable statistics, makes for a more honest debate amongst members rather than the "no you didn't....yes I did" type of contradictory dialog.
  • Reply 122 of 171
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I tote an iPhone 4S and also have ICS on my HP Touchpad, which features the same unlock as the nexus. There's a vague similarity, but otherwise it's not the same. Just my opinion.

Awesome! Where did you get the ICS tutorial? I have 2 Touchpads that would love some ICS!
  • Reply 123 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I for one am not afraid to state that I think DaHarder's battery life claims are complete bullshit. He's a troll with a copy of Photoshop. Until independently confirmed, which they won't be, his claims can simply be dismissed as nonsense.

I, for one, am not afraid to state that I think anonymouse's baseless refutal of what has been presented is complete BS. He's an infamous bandwagon-jumping-upon AI troll with a known brand/platform bias and a horrible attitude towards anything that isn't Apple. Until his doubts are independently confirmed, which they won't be, his naysaying rhetoric can simply be dismissed as completely ignorant nonsense.
  • Reply 124 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Awesome! Where did you get the ICS tutorial? I have 2 Touchpads that would love some ICS!

Try This: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-rel...od-9-touchpad/
  • Reply 125 of 171
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Try This: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-rel...od-9-touchpad/

Thank you! My Touchpads will be sporting a little ICS love today.....
  • Reply 126 of 171
    Quote:

I, for one, am not afraid to state that I think anonymouse's baseless refutal of what has been presented is complete BS. He's an infamous bandwagon-jumping-upon AI troll with a known brand/platform bias and a horrible attitude towards anything that isn't Apple. Until his doubts are independently confirmed, which they won't be, his naysaying rhetoric can simply be dismissed as completely ignorant nonsense.

Ha, ha, ha, yeah, nice try, dude, but it's not going to make your "claims" any more believable. Why don't you submit them to some Android device manufacturers. If they are true, they'll be all over you, and we'll have confirmation when the next generation of Android devices demonstrates multi-day battery life*. We won't hold our breath.

* under "heavy use"
  • Reply 127 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

And therein lies your (among other's) biggest problem: Ridiculous Assumptions.

FACT: Never once did I claim that anything I posted was based upon "scientific or controlled test methods" - NEVER.

The subject of battery life entered into the conversation when melgross, AI's resident global moderator, replied to geekdad's post with the following:

"You're making this up, and it's easy to tell. The battery life isn't better than the 4S, it's worse. Not that untypical for Android phones which have been plagued with poor battery life in general." (NOTE: since retracted)

I, in turn, informed him that my Galaxy Nexus is not "plagued with poor battery life" as a result of my taking the time to properly optimize a few settings, even going so far as to "back up essentially all of [my] claims" with actual pics of my very own device's battery usage screen.

All of this other over-the-top nonsense was concocted by yourself and SolipsismX, and upon my providing the aforementioned pictorial evidence of the battery life I am (in fact) getting with my Galaxy Nexus under various usage scenarios, you two choose to resort to the usual childish mocking, negativity, and insults that have sadly become the hallmark of this environment, rather than merely accept that which was clearly presented as my real-world battery life experience with said device.

That you two, or anyone else, can't accept that there are those who's experiences, based upon "based on personal usage", is beyond your own frame-of-reference, is your problem, and not a lack of integrity on my part.

Have A Nice Day.

I detailed how your images of battery life were suspect. You choose to ignore my comments because I was right. I'll bring them back up to show everyone what you are ignoring since you're going to make personal attacks and then whine when others beat down your arguments.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder

Numerous calls, texts, web surfing, FaceBook postings, Twitter and the occasional web search etc.and... Yes, I'm very impressed with the battery life as well.

That's absolutely meaningless. From the image it looks about 35% of the power was used when the phone was in Phone Idle or Cell Standby. And judging by the excessive battery usage of Android OS over Screen, and the image, I'm guessing you have turned your display brightness down to the lowest setting or near it.

• Reply 128 of 171
    Quote:

I for one am not afraid to state that I think DaHarder's battery life claims are complete bullshit. He's a troll with a copy of Photoshop. Until independently confirmed, which they won't be, his claims can simply be dismissed as nonsense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I detailed how your images of battery life were suspect. You choose to ignore my comments because I was right. I'll bring them back up to show everyone what you are ignoring since you're going to make personal attacks and then whine when others beat down your arguments.

I agree with both of you simply because he had no reply to my post #121. Plus, does he have multiple shots of his screen, apparently from different days, showing off his battery life.....just for kicks? \
  • Reply 129 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I agree with both of you simply because he had no reply to my post #121. Plus, does he have multiple shots of his screen, apparently from different days, showing off his battery life.....just for kicks? \

To be clear, no one thinks his efforts to strength his battery life are BS ? I think he's not a masterful job in getting his phone to last that long ? it's the claim that he a heavy user despite not qualifying how he determined this title.
  • Reply 130 of 171
    Quote:

To be clear, no one thinks his efforts to strength his battery life are BS ? I think he's not a masterful job in getting his phone to last that long ? it's the claim that he a heavy user despite not qualifying how he determined this title.

Actually, I think everything he has posted in this thread (and beyond!) is BS.
  • Reply 131 of 171
    Quote:

Actually, I think everything he has posted in this thread (and beyond!) is BS.

His turning his display brightness down to the minimum (or damn near it) shows that he's going to extreme measures to preserve battery life. This is backed up by his battery usage results. That's something to triumph, I guess; I'll at least give him that much. The BS is saying he's a heavy user when the facts he's presented and the data from independent reviewers say differently about battery life.
  • Reply 132 of 171
    Quote:

His turning his display brightness down to the minimum (or damn near it) shows that he's going to extreme measures to preserve battery life. This is backed up by his battery usage results. ...

I don't believe his battery usage results. I think everything he's posted is faked.
  • Reply 133 of 171
    Quote:

I don't believe his battery usage results. I think everything he's posted is faked.

We can disagree on this and I don't think either one of us will be offended or start whining due to opposing viewpoints.
  • Reply 134 of 171
    Quote:

There are no Photoshop artifacts on his images. He's either super skillful, or more likely those aren't faked.

In fact taking a picture of the screen as opposed to using the gnex screenshot method was probably done to reduce claims of Photoshop.

Let's do some math.

The screenshot proposes around 32HRS of battery life.

In the 32 hr period of the above screenshot, let'assume he slept for 8hrs in that period and the phone was idle.

So 32 - 8 = 24hrs.

So 'ets assume he works. But he's still using his phone periodically at work. Not heavily though. Average job is 8 hrs, maybe he has an hour lunch. So 9 hrs. So let's say 6 more standby hours.

(3 hrs of periodic use over the course of 9...a generous estimate)

Now averaging maybe 15 mins of use per hour that means 45 of inactivity. -13.5hrs (4.5 he's of use)

averaging 20 mins use/40 active -12 (6hrs of use)

averaging 30 mins use/30 active -9 (9hrs of use)

Two of those scenarios are pretty plausible.

Perhaps he slept more than 8, perhaps he's not allowed to use his phone at work at all, perhaps his definition of heavy doesn't involve a FPS game, 10 hrs of music and browsing the web for 5 hrs.

Either way using his battery calibrations getting 32 hrs (with an average of 6.5 hrs of actual activity) using 76 percent of the battery seems to be pretty plausible.

that's roughly 2.5% per hour.

The same phone in my hands btw, would be lucky to last 12 hrs...as I am a VERY heavy phone user.

DaHarder also has like 40 phones 10 tablets, etc...for some of that 32 hrs he may not have really been using THAT phone at all.

There are more than enough possibilities in this scenario to warrant a belief.

I don't even get why you guys are being so combative as he never claimed the phone is better than anything Apple...just that HIS calibrations + HIS usage patterns = good battery life.

Relax.

PS. New thoughts....those 32hrs are obviously spanning multiple days...he could've slept TWICE (average 8, so 16hrs) and therefore only had 16 hrs of time to actually use the phone.

Point being, it is believable.
  • Reply 135 of 171
    Quote:

I share that opinion, but consider that battery estimates can be wildly optimistic too, or downright wrong. The fully charged electric Nissan Leaf might say you have 75mi range left, but as soon as you start it and drive off, the range estimate might change to 35mi before settling at 63mi. And I also recall that the first-generation iPhone using the original 1.x software could easily run for 3-4 days between charges, including short phone calls and daily web surfing, if brightness was turned down--not to minimum, but something comfortable for indoor use. If your phone spends 22 hours out of each day in sleep mode, it might account for estimates in the multiday range, particularly if the estimate takes into account how much of the time the phone spends in sleep mode.
  • Reply 136 of 171
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I refined my original post with the actual text of the patent.

The whole "predefined path" thing is a red herring. It's not actually in there that way, it says only that one implementation *may* include that. It doesn't have to have a predefined path to be in violation apparently.

It seems to clearly cover almost any kind of touch motion that includes sliding and unlocking together.

In all fairness, regardless of what one thinks of Apple, Android, patents, patent law etc., Apple did actually invent this first.

They certainly deserve to win regardless of whether they eventually do or not.

BS.

Neonode had prior art along with utility patents to go along with it.
  • Reply 137 of 171
    some one isn't being very honest about their battery usage..pretty easy to tell just by comparing the graphs at the top

Here's my Nexus batttery and usage:

(screen is set at full brightness)

• Reply 138 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I share that opinion, but consider that battery estimates can be wildly optimistic too, or downright wrong. The fully charged electric Nissan Leaf might say you have 75mi range left, but as soon as you start it and drive off, the range estimate might change to 35mi before settling at 63mi. And I also recall that the first-generation iPhone using the original 1.x software could easily run for 3-4 days between charges, including short phone calls and daily web surfing, if brightness was turned down--not to minimum, but something comfortable for indoor use. If your phone spends 22 hours out of each day in sleep mode, it might account for estimates in the multiday range, particularly if the estimate takes into account how much of the time the phone spends in sleep mode.

Hmmm... interesting little rant there, but nothing I've posted in this article/thread has anything whatsoever to do with 'battery estimates' and are, in fact, the actual times I'm getting between charges on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus under the various usage scenarios outlined... and no, I do not have the screen brightness at its lowest setting (more like 50%) or any other such nonsense that would effectively render the device nearly unusable.

As far as all of this raving about what constitutes 'rather heavy usage', which is exactly what I posted (notice that word rather ?), said criteria depends upon individual usage habits, not some set standard, and for me that entails a dozen or so phone calls, along with various texts, web searches, as well as random Tweets and FaceBook updates.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with the battery life I've been able to achieve with my Galaxy Nexus using only the tools and adjustment native to the core OS, and if you're not... Oh Well.
  • Reply 139 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronin_Status View Post

some one isn't being very honest about their battery usage..pretty easy to tell just by comparing the graphs at the top

That's nice, now how about to turn that display brightness to 50%, turn off BT, GPS, and disable any/all unnecessary psh notifications etc, and try again ?

Moreover, why don't you go ahead and adjust your device usage to exactly what I do with mine while you're at it...
  • Reply 140 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronin_Status View Post

22hrs is good battery time with no optimizations though...