Apple to disrupt notebook space with radically redesigned MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 201 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

The new version of the MacBook Pro must have Ethernet built in. Carrying around dongles sucks. I have the mini display port to VGA dongle & that's enough dongle-toting. Adapters are ridiculous. Thankfully more & more companies are using the mini display port connection so hopefully projector makers and TV makers will start putting it on the TVs eliminating the need for that dongle.

There's also that annoying problem of the ethernet dongle working on only one USB port of the MBA and not the other (on some machines).
  • Reply 202 of 321
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues003 View Post

I can say this because if I read the rumor right, the MBA will totally replace the 13" MBP. If I know how the MBA looks like, its specs limitations, and the power it does (or doesn't) provide, it doesn't take much effort to understand if it'd or would not be fit for me.

In my case, severe space storage limitations, memory unupgradeability and ultra-low voltage CPUs are a downgrade from the late-2011 MBP, meaning that'd probably be the one I'd get if the 13" ends up being phased out in 2012.

I think your interpretation of the rumour is wrong. It sounds like you thought of all the negative things about the MBA and applied them to the new MBP instead of thinking about how Apple could use positive aspects from the MBA while still maintaining the Pro-ness of the MBP.

Note that Apple has already followed the MBA with the cutter design of the MBP. Before the MBA used a milled chassis it was a stiff bottom with soldered structural supports.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

The new version of the MacBook Pro must have Ethernet built in. Carrying around dongles sucks. I have the mini display port to VGA dongle & that's enough dongle-toting. Adapters are ridiculous. Thankfully more & more companies are using the mini display port connection so hopefully projector makers and TV makers will start putting it on the TVs eliminating the need for that dongle.

They do suck, but I hope you aren't suggesting the modem macs should have VGA ports. As for ethernet it all depends on how common and important Apple thinks it is to the bulk of their customers.
  • Reply 203 of 321
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think your interpretation of the rumour is wrong. It sounds like you thought of all the negative things about the MBA and applied them to the new MBP instead of thinking about how Apple could use concepts positive from the MBA while still maintaining the Pro-ness of the MBP.

What is the concepts of the MBP that makes it the MBP? The shape....Its not tapered like the MBA is? Or is it the dedicated graphics? The MBA does not have dedicated graphics. The optical drive? the MBA does not have an optical drive. So what is as you say the Pro-ness of the MBP? Rumor has it they will remove the optical drive. So if the do that and give it a tapered design like the MBA with no optical drive and integrated graphics what is left to give it a MBP pro-ness?
  • Reply 204 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

What is the concepts of the MBP that makes it the MBP? The shape....Its not tapered like the MBA is? Or is it the dedicated graphics? The MBA does not have dedicated graphics. The optical drive? the MBA does not have an optical drive. So what is as you say the Pro-ness of the MBP? Rumor has it they will remove the optical drive. So if the do that and give it a tapered design like the MBA with no optical drive and integrated graphics what is left to give it a MBP pro-ness?

I have no idea what you're getting at. You seem to conclude that by removing the ODD that they also must remove the DGPU. I don't see how those are related.

I see the future MBPs as having a CPU falling into the 35/45W TDP range (that means not a CULV), upgradable RAM (not soldered to the logic board), and a dGPU in at least the 15 and 17" models. I'm not even expecting any significant weight change as the removable of the ODD (and possibly the 2.5" drive) means that a signifcgant amount of the internal footprint can be used for the battery.

Can you explain to me why people think that a tapered chassis and the removable of the ODD means that it must adopt all the other aspects of the MBA?
  • Reply 205 of 321
    Quote:

I have no idea what you're getting at. You seem to conclude that by removing the ODD that they also must remove the DGPU. I don't see how those are related.

I see the future MBPs as having a CPU falling into the 35/45W TDP range (that means not a CULV), upgradable RAM (not soldered to the logic board), and a dGPU in at least the 15 and 17" models.

You said in your other post "Apple could use concepts positive from the MBA while still maintaining the Pro-ness of the MBP." But if they remove the optical drive and dGPU then what will make it a MBP? It sounds like a 15 inch MBA to me...... So what is "Pro-ness of the MBP?"
  • Reply 206 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You said in your other post "Apple could use concepts positive from the MBA while still maintaining the Pro-ness of the MBP." But if they remove the optical drive and dGPU then what will make it a MBP? It sounds like a 15 inch MBA to me...... So what is "Pro-ness of the MBP?"

Seriously, are you pulling my chain? Did you not read:
    I see the future MBPs as having a CPU falling into the 35/45W TDP range (that means not a CULV), upgradable RAM (not soldered to the logic board), and a dGPU in at least the 15 and 17" models.
    I did forget to add that it will have more ports than the MBA.

Did the MBP lose it's Pro-ness or get better when it followed the original MBA case design? I think it got a lot better. It got thinner and sturdier yet it didn't lose andy performance in the process so why do you think following the tapered design and losing the antiquated optical drive means that it has to lose the discrete graphics or any other silly thing that makes the MBA an ultraportable notebook?
  • Reply 207 of 321
    Quote:

Seriously, are you pulling my chain? Did you not read:
    I did forget to add that it will have more ports than the MBA.

Did the MBP lose it's Pro-ness or get better when it followed the original MBA case design? I think it got a lot better. It got thinner and sturdier yet it didn't lose andy performance in the process so why do you think following the tapered design and losing the antiquated optical drive means that it has to lose the discrete graphics or any other silly thing that makes the MBA an ultraportable notebook?

Little bit touchy aren't you? I saw your statement and asked about it...that was all. Not trying to pull anything of yours. All this is speculation.....can't wait to see what Apple will do with the notebook line when ivy bridge comes out.

Edit: The post I quoted and asked you about was post #207. It doesn't have ANY of the text you enlarged!
  • Reply 208 of 321
    Just as a note regarding the potential redesigns, and as an avid Apple equipment owner, there are some concerns I have.

Firstly, removing the optical drive does have limitations and problems, and "Cloud" doesn't solve them. Our local ISP, the incumbent cable company is starting to put data transfer caps on connections on a monthly basis that seem quite low, especially if one's software and media are now distributed solely via said connection. Beyond that, I have had to install Final Cut Studio a few times (at a previous employer). Let's just say that the full install, with stock loops and such is NOT something I'd care to wait to download or have count against my monthly tally.

Secondly, the company I work for now manufactures networking equipment. The removal of a native Ethernet port means no new equipment for my almost-entirely Mac shop. Dongles and adapters, while adding measures of latency and even errors in some situations, are also a poor design. USB dongles are even worse; relying on the CPU and active backend to handle the most basic of tasks, rather than a smarter chip that interfaces on the normal accessory-device bus. We see this effect in USB hard drives (crap most often) versus the superior (if, sadly, only technologically) FireWire and ostensibly ThunderBolt (haven't tested TB yet myself). Having a TB adapter would be more palatable, but there are a NUMBER of issues that having an adapter changing from one data format to another, before going through another translation to get to the heart of the machine is problematic. One of the key benefits when I was able to chuck the crap Dell laptop that I had for a 17" MBP was that my Gigabit Ethernet actually could do a gigabit's worth of throughput. The Dell's crapped out around 430mbit.

To me, were I imagining an ideal device

1) Drop ODD ONLY if a proper TB or (God Forbid) USB drive could be used to view a movie. Many USB CD drives I've used on my home theater Mac Mini work great for data but won't show a DVD movie

2) GigE and FireWire should stay. Or, TB can replace FireWire if TB can be used in TDD mode and (ideally) a TB <-> FireWire adapter can be had. As the IT guy, Target Mode has saved many a system from HDD death.

3) Why SSD or Spinning drive only? Hybrid SSD + Spinning drive. 1TB + 128GB SSD in 9mm thick drive would give the best of both worlds. Perhaps a bit of smarts to let it know what to store and where... But, as a person who keeps over 500GB worth of virtual machines on my laptop (ready for a number of testing scenarios), going to a small SSD would be killer for me.

4) Dear God, please let us few who like it still have an option at least of a matte screen. I snagged a 17", 2.8GHz with a matte screen and thank my lucky stars every time I have to work on a glossy or even look to my secondary screen (A 27" Core i7 Quad iMac via mDP) that I don't have to do that every day.

5) WiFi, 802.11ac as an addition 802.11n backstopping with a 3x3 or 4x4 diversity antenna system would pair really well with a AirPort Pro or TimeCapsule Pro. Hint hint. More antennas also allows for the beamforming and steering portions of multi-diversity WiFi systems to deliver data more reliably.

6) Whole Screen AirPlay out. Neat feature and could easily help to eliminate problems with projectors and dongles and could sell the hell our of current AppleTV devices, and be a nice play for a home Apple television. Not a big fan of congesting the WiFi airwaves anymore than they are, but properly done, it could be.

7) Retina display. Lofty but who wouldn't want a 4k display. Not to mention, I'd get a second one and probably start looking for ways to drive it in a home made projector.

8) Get rid of third USB port on laptop. Hell, maybe even second too. I've used two at a time max on my 17" MBP. I'm sure there are some using all three at once, but really, rare is the set of USB keys and USB cords that can all fit at the same time. Unpowered USB hub would work, and since timing/latency critical anything should never go over USB, it wouldn't be terrible for USB as a whole.

9) Cellular/GPS/LTE optional. I probably wouldn't get it myself, but I know some ballyhoo over it. Personally, Hotspot sharing over the iPhone works great for me...
  • Reply 209 of 321
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I concur

Pro in 2012 to me means having

Quad Core processing

Fast SSD drive (300MBps plus)

Gig E ports

Faster Thunderbolt

FW800

USB 3.0

Discrete Graphics with large frame buffers

HiRez screens.
  • Reply 210 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I concur

Quad Core processing

Gig E ports

Faster Thunderbolt

FW800

USB 3.0

HiRez screens.

I think (and hope) Ethernet makes it though I can't say I've used it in years. It's been brought up that the connector is quite large, but I think Apple could put it at the back end on the right side with a tapered design for a smart looking notebook that doesn't lose any of these features.

I wonder if FW is needed for too much longer. If we get USB3.0 and have TB then FW800 stars to look very dated.
  • Reply 211 of 321
    Quote:

I think (and hope) Ethernet makes it though I can't say I've used it in years. It's been brought up that the connector is quite large, but I think Apple could put it at the back end on the right side with a tapered design for a smart looking notebook that doesn't lose any of these features.

I wonder if FW is needed for too much longer. If we get USB3.0 and have TB then FW800 stars to look very dated.

A lot of companies use Ethernet for secure Intranet access / situations where there's a great deal of heavy file sharing going on.

FW should stick around for at least this next generation of MBPs due to the sheer number of FW800 devices on the market that need good legacy support for a few more years.
  • Reply 212 of 321
    Quote:

I think your interpretation of the rumour is wrong. It sounds like you thought of all the negative things about the MBA and applied them to the new MBP instead of thinking about how Apple could use positive aspects from the MBA while still maintaining the Pro-ness of the MBP.

I didn't "apply" them to the new MBP, simply because I don't think there'll be any new MBP. My interpretation is that the MBP 13" will simply disappear, and the only 13" offered will be the MBA.

I'm all for Apple doing whatever they want design-wise with the MBP, including taking out the Optical Drive; what I don't want is to be stuck with an option of anemic CPU/GPU power, minimal storage space and no possibility to upgrade RAM, be that either a MBA or a new revamped MBP.

Also, making the MBP thinner has engineering compromises. The MBP is known for its heat issues as it is, let alone with a thinner case (specially after the i7 quad-core on the 13" rumors that appeared some months ago).
  • Reply 213 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The very first Macbook Air didn't really set any sales records and IIRC sold pretty poorly compared to the other Mac offerings. Sales really only took off when Apple radically changed the prices to become affordable. Wasn't the first Air around $1,800?...

Not only the price is now more attractive, but the first MBAs had lame performance. They were going to sell anyway to a lot of high visibility sales executives. But the MBA has seen dramatic increases in performance with the last two (I'd say: STEALTH) iterations. And yet, they're selling like hotcakes.
  • Reply 214 of 321
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I concur

Quad Core processing

Gig E ports

Faster Thunderbolt

FW800

USB 3.0

HiRez screens.

All of the above but retain ODD. If ya want a MacBook air then buy a MacBook air. Let the pro remain just that.
  • Reply 215 of 321
    Quote:

I didn't "apply" them to the new MBP, simply because I don't think there'll be any new MBP. My interpretation is that the MBP 13" will simply disappear, and the only 13" offered will be the MBA.

I'm all for Apple doing whatever they want design-wise with the MBP, including taking out the Optical Drive; what I don't want is to be stuck with an option of anemic CPU/GPU power, minimal storage space and no possibility to upgrade RAM, be that either a MBA or a new revamped MBP.

Also, making the MBP thinner has engineering compromises. The MBP is known for its heat issues as it is, let alone with a thinner case (specially after the i7 quad-core on the 13" rumors that appeared some months ago).

1) So you think the MBP will go away or thy they will keep trucking on without any case redesign?

2) You failed to notice how making the MBP thinner doesn't mean it will have any less space for cooling the CPU and GPU, or how removing the ODD allows for a great deal more freedom for placing components that need more heat dissipation.

3) I'll ask again: What did the MBP lose the last time it followed the MBA into the future? I think it became the beat pro notebook Apple had ever created.
  • Reply 216 of 321
    Quote:

I hope you aren't suggesting the modem macs should have VGA ports

No, that would be ridiculous!

As far as the thinness goes, I don't know how they could make it all that much thinner. With the chatter over the tapered design of the Air, I'd sacrifice that for replacing the space occupied by the ODD with more battery. Longer battery life would be great.
  • Reply 217 of 321
    Quote:

1) So you think the MBP will go away or thy they will keep trucking on without any case redesign?

2) You failed to notice how making the MBP thinner doesn't mean it will have any less space for cooling the CPU and GPU, or how removing the ODD allows for a great deal more freedom for placing components that need more heat dissipation.

3) I'll ask again: What did the MBP lose the last time it followed the MBA into the future? I think it became the beat pro notebook Apple had ever created.

1) What I read from the rumor was that the 13" MBP will go away, while the 15 and 17" will be redesigned.

2) This question only makes sense if we assume the MBP gets thinner but doesn't get phased out: If it gets thinner and the ODD is taken out, it'll have as much space as the MBA does for whatever is in there. Meaning it'll only have space for SSDs with low storage (since high-storage are expensive) and ULV CPU/GPU instead of LV.

3) The MBP never followed the MBA; it might've taken a hint from it here or there, but it always kept its separate identity. What I read from the rumor is that it'll be phased out, end of story. No more MBP at all.
  • Reply 218 of 321
    Quote:

1) What I read from the rumor was that the 13" MBP will go away, while the 15 and 17" will be redesigned.

2) This question only makes sense if we assume the MBP gets thinner but doesn't get phased out: If it gets thinner and the ODD is taken out, it'll have as much space as the MBA does for whatever is in there. Meaning it'll only have space for SSDs with low storage (since high-storage are expensive) and ULV CPU/GPU instead of LV.

3) The MBP never followed the MBA; it might've taken a hint from it here or there, but it always kept its separate identity. What I read from the rumor is that it'll be phased out, end of story. No more MBP at all.

I was going to respond to each one of your comments but you are completely off your rocker. Having to write several paragraphs to attempt to correct your irrational and illogical comments before even making my point would just take to long so go ahead and make all the stupid comments you want about the MBA didn't have a milled chassis before the MBP or how removing the optical drive means that the CPU will be CULV, the RAM will soldered, or other crazy things you've conceived of.
  • Reply 219 of 321
    Quote:

I was going to respond to each one of your comments but you are completely off your rocker. Having to write several paragraphs to attempt to correct your irrational and illogical comments before even making my point would just take to long so go ahead and make all the stupid comments you want about the MBA didn't have a milled chassis before the MBP or how removing the optical drive means that the CPU will be CULV, the RAM will soldered, or other crazy things you've conceived of.

In truth, I never said anything about the ODD implying a different CPU or RAM soldering. But considering your unwillingness to have a civilized discussion, I won't bother either to "write several paragraphs". Perhaps if you reread what I wrote you can see what I meant; I believe I was very clear. Or, if you show openness for civilized discussion, perhaps I can try to explain myself in a more obvious way.

Have a good day.
  • Reply 220 of 321
    Hoping the same genius who redesign FCP-X will not be in charge of "redesigning" the "new" MacBook Pro.

Getting rid of the optical drive is fine, provided a second hard drive can be put into the "new" MacBook Pros.

Ideally, Apple should allow for two additional drives to be installed in the MacBook Pro, which could be raided for speed and capacity, for a total of 3 hard drives. That would be a "pro" machine.

Listening, Apple Genius? Or are you just a Phone company?