SumOfUS.org removes false claim from Apple petition after collecting signatures

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The PTPTPFAEP? I'm in!

This does sound like a good thing to get involved with. We need t-shirts with your acronym.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Disgusting. Where is the 'ethics' in changing the contents of a petition after they've been signed?

I agree. The original mistake was inexcusable, and changing the petition post-signing no less so.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a valid name, too. I like 'dihydrous' better because people subconsciously associate the suffix '-ous' with the word 'noxious', making it sound more dangerous.

Once you say "noxious", isn't "dangerous" superfluous???
  • Reply 44 of 88
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

I've built up a tolerance to DHMO but I also have a chemical addiction to the substance. If I go just a couple days without DHMO my body starts to react in ways that I feel like I'm dying. In fact, I'm told that my body is so dependent on DHMO that I will die if I don't take it regularly. I'm on it right now.

Prescription, or Black Market?

Once I read of your situation, my objections to DHMO simply evaporated...
  • Reply 45 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Once you say "noxious", isn't "dangerous" superfluous???

Yes, it is - using the dictionary definitions.

Colloquially, though, 'noxious' often means something that has a smell or other properties that are annoying and disagreeable, whether it's dangerous or not.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Prescription, or Black Market?

Once I read of your situation, my objections to DHMO simply evaporated...

Typically I'm tapped in to a local source but sometimes I splurge for some primo stuff from a French dealer.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TedK View Post

Jeez, I used to enjoy AppleInsider, but their continuing inability to proofread anything they post really is bugging the crap outa me! Is it that hard to go over yr own words?!!

Outa? Yr? Is it that hard to type 'out of' and 'your'?
  • Reply 48 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Outa? Yr? Is it that hard to type 'out of' and 'your'?

Isn't that funny? The guy complaining about proofreading apparently forgot to proofread his own short sentence.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    Quote:

Disgusting. Where is the 'ethics' in changing the contents of a petition after they've been signed? Isn't that like, illegal? And isopropanol is now a 'toxic substance'? I inhaled that stuff for YEARS in my university labs, can I get a petition too? At my protest I want people dressed up as kangaroos and koalas though.

Many years ago, a friend works for ASUS told me that it is much cheaper to hire Chinese workers to do the work The automation machines cost millions of dollars each and requires expensive certified engineer to maintain them.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TedK View Post

Jeez, I used to enjoy AppleInsider, but their continuing inability to proofread anything they post really is bugging the crap outa me! Is it that hard to go over yr own words?!!

Is this what you were trying for?

Very amusing.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

The PTPTPFAEP? I'm in!

A kind thought, but let's dispense with the niceties. SolipsismX, do you have the hemp rope? Everybody else, did you check your cinch straps? Okay ... let's mount up and ride out after 'em!
  • Reply 52 of 88
    What we are seeing is the fruit of combining slacktivism with politics. Technology has made it easier to *support* or *sign* up for a cause. Simply click Like on a Facebook page and suddenly you feel good about yourself. But most people such as this SumOfUs group are not doing their homework to learn the real facts from fiction.

There may be real issues here that need addressing. Apple may well be culpable or complicit. But we will never know for sure, given how the situation is devolving and becoming contaminated by politics and slacktivism.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    The headline should read "removes false claim and inserts new false and misleading claim." also, in yesterday's article, didn't the supplier compensate workers for working with an unsafe product already. So, if so, SOS's claim for compensation is also misleading.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Either is correct. You could also call it hydroxylic acid.

I've heard that Hydroxylic Acid is used to aid in the distribution of both pesticides and herbicides and yet we allow it to be added to our food!

Yes. I know.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    So, basically SumOfUs.org are a bunch of unethical attention whores who will take advantage of and use Chinese workers to gain a few seconds of fame for themselves.

I honestly have to wonder if these people aren't worse than the people they are supposedly trying to stop.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

A kind thought, but let's dispense with the niceties. SolipsismX, do you have the hemp rope? Everybody else, did you check your cinch straps? Okay ... let's mount up and ride out after 'em!

How are we riding out? Horses will make PETA upset, cars will make Al Gore upset, and bikes are probably made in China by cheap labor. We might have to walk.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

How are we riding out? Horses will make PETA upset, cars will make Al Gore upset, and bikes are probably made in China by cheap labor. We might have to walk.

Okay, but don't anybody be wearing anything made with cheap foreign labor!
  • Reply 58 of 88
    Quote:

Disgusting. Where is the 'ethics' in changing the contents of a petition after they've been signed? Isn't that like, illegal? And isopropanol is now a 'toxic substance'? I inhaled that stuff for YEARS in my university labs, can I get a petition too? At my protest I want people dressed up as kangaroos and koalas though.

"SumofUs.org ...we promote ethics while willfully violatng them. Now sign our petition or we'll sign it for you."
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The factory workers are mute? I'm so horrified, I think I'll start a petition!

Your editing of my post misrepresents what I wrote. I suspect it was to aid in making a joke intended to belittle my point of standing up for the little guy(no, not short people).

And as I indicated before I think SumOfUs effed up big time. just so there's no confusion.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I suspect it was to aid in making a joke intended to belittle my point of standing up for the little guy(no, not short people).

Screw the little guy. I do not believe in standing up for the little guy. I believe in standing up for the guy who happens to be right. And very often, the little guy is not right.