iPad & MacBooks combine to give Apple 27% share of all mobile PC shipments

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is not about sales figures. It is about consistencies and logic. We've heard many stupid arguments about why the iPad is not a PC and every time one of these argument is addressed another more ridiculous one comes up. In my opinion if it is a feature that can be added by a software update then it is not a valid reason. Can Apple release Xcode for iPad? Sure they can. Are they going to release it? Most likely they will not.

If it doesn't have a PS/2 port it''s not a PC.

All joking aside, the iPad's existence does seem to have made the Apple haters at least consider the Mac a "PC".
  • Reply 102 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

It is not about sales figures. It is about consistencies and logic. We've heard many stupid arguments about why the iPad is not a PC and every time one of these argument is addressed another more ridiculous one comes up. In my opinion if it is a feature that can be added by a software update then it is not a valid reason. Can Apple release Xcode for iPad? Sure they can. Are they going to release it? Most likely they will not.

Well if that happens then the iPad will be a PC.

Actually an iPad can be a PC by my definition if you jailbreak it. Then you would have a bash shell where you could write a program and execute it.

If a PC has a fried motherboard it ceases to be a PC and becomes a boat anchor.
  • Reply 103 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well if that happens then the iPad will be a PC. If a PC has a fried motherboard it ceases to be a PC and becomes a boat anchor.

Define boat? j/k
  • Reply 104 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Define boat? j/k

A hole in the water into which you pour money.
  • Reply 105 of 110
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

if you can do your work on an iPad you not a MAC user - anything with IOS is a toy - they not in the same column.

as usual, iOS the dumbing down of Apple

Ridiculous. I have many Macs and also iDevices. I do work on both of them, depending upon what I am looking to do.

I bet that you do not do any serious work at all on any machine. And I bet that I would be more productive with a tiny iPod Touch than you would be if you were given IBM's Watson to use.

And it's not spelt MAC! Only trolls, fandroids and people who are completely ignorant of Apple capitalize every letter in the word MAC!
  • Reply 106 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I guess the main difference in our ideas of what is and is not a personal computer is that I don't like the idea of having a device that can be in more than one category especially when people misuse that in making an argument. They just switch the category as it suits their mood at any given point in time. For the motorcycle example: The DMV is going to put the three-wheeled vehicle in one category or the other depending on their definition which may be arbitrary but the one thing they won't do it put a car license plate on the front and a motorcycle license plate on the back.

Well, yes. But the motorcycle won't be given a car license because it isn't a car. It is a motor vehicle though, and that's why you go to the motor vehicle bureau for the license.

And the iPad isn't a laptop, so we don't call it that. We call it a tablet, but it is a personal computer.

I think you're just stuck on the old forms.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    Quote:

Yeah, it's not about double counting or something like that. It's just a matter of wondering; just what is this thing?

If we want to count, we can say that Apple sold, say, 60 million computers this year. 6 million desktops, 14 million laptops, and 40 million tablets. Easy peasy.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think you're just stuck on the old forms.

Yep I'm old school. I don't mind using an iPad for casual stuff like now as I type this on my iPad but when I want to do actual computing I can't stand the computer getting in my way and intentionally preventing me from doing what I want to do. I am sort of stuck, as you say, on that old fashion notion that I should be able to create and save a text file with a file extension and directory location of my choosing. That is what I expect from a PC. From a mobile device I am much less demanding.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I remember a time when everyone declared the iPad a flop and unnecessary.

I recommend reading 'Only The Paranoid Survive'. In retrospect the iPad can be easily seen as 10X change.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    Quote:

Yep I'm old school. I don't mind using an iPad for casual stuff like now as I type this on my iPad but when I want to do actual computing I can't stand the computer getting in my way and intentionally preventing me from doing what I want to do. I am sort of stuck, as you say, on that old fashion notion that I should be able to create and save a text file with a file extension and directory location of my choosing. That is what I expect from a PC. From a mobile device I am much less demanding.

Well, you know, there are a number of differing types of computers. We have mainframes, mini computers, workstations, servers, and personal computers of various favors and capabilities.

Pick your poison.