Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Not everyone has a family yet??!

Natural selection.
  • Reply 22 of 143
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, seriously. I owned one for a while and loved it for what it was. Gorgeous screen, good build quality. comfortable form factor. If it was in a vacuum I'd call it a great product. Unfortunately, I just can't see a bright future for RIM, considering what they're up against and the fact that they're continually bleeding marketshare. It's also all about ecosystems, and with iOS, Android, and Windows8 tablets on the horizon, they're gonna have a very hard time getting support. I'm Canadian myself and do want them to succeed. They have a tough road ahead.
  • Reply 23 of 143
    Blackberry Bridge is native to the Playbook, and was part of the original load. Perhaps reviewers could actually use the product they're reviewing, instead of copying someone else's work - I've seen the comment that Bridge is new to 2.0 elsewhere.
  • Reply 24 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, seriously. I owned one for a while and loved it for what it was. Gorgeous screen, good build quality. comfortable form factor. If it was in a vacuum I'd call it a great product. Unfortunately, I just can't see a bright future for RIM, considering what they're up against and the fact that they're continually bleeding marketshare. It's also all about ecosystems, and with iOS, Android, and Windows8 tablets on the horizon, they're gonna have a very hard time getting support. I'm Canadian myself and do want them to succeed. They have a tough road ahead.

Indeed. I daresay there are probably a number of Canadians working for Apple in Cupertino. Isn't Phil Schiller one of 'em? And where would NASA be without the Canadian engineers from the shelved Arrow project?

http://www.avroarrow.org/AvroArrow/Avroengineers.html

Answer: they probably would have found others (even non-Canadians!) to do the job. \

Sometimes reality can be uncomfortable.
  • Reply 25 of 143
    Quote:

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

could it be that now only android devices have the dubious honour of not being updateable? that alone is newsworthy
  • Reply 26 of 143
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Does it matter that they're late? When you're dead, you're dead.
  • Reply 27 of 143
    It's all good and well to poke fun at rim who has neither apple's clout nor their resources in LCD, flash and CPU parts and who can't bully exclusivity out of manufacturers, hence they opt out for said size of tablet, but if yet another tablet os gets nowhere this is going to do competition and innovation no good. Having said that it was indeed a poor decision, and a hasty one to opt for said size to undercut apple in price, a lot of us saw this size as doa without other prerequisites such as e.g. Amazons clout behind it.

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Indeed. I daresay there are probably a number of Canadians working for Apple in Cupertino. Isn't Phil Schiller one of 'em?

My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.
  • Reply 28 of 143
    Hi Folks,

I have a macbook pro and recently I bought a playbook. I live in Brazil and Apple prices here a ridiculous high, I could not afford an iPad. I have to say that the playbook is an excellent tablet. I recently showed the device to a friend that has an iPad and she was really impressed with the performance, size, and the tablet in general. Sometimes we hear or read opinions of a device on the internet and when we actually see the product is a completely different story.

I definitely recommend a playbook for some looking for a device for reading or surfing the web. It is not so good for creating or editing documents, but for this I use my macbook.

In terms of multi-tasking the QNX linux microkernel of the playbook is unbeatable!!!! Take a look if you have the opportunity. I think we can expect good things of future RIM OS's.

Cheers!
  • Reply 29 of 143
    Playbook seems decent, but is the product of extremely poor execution from RIM as well as undeserved arrogance. Adding mail functionality in 2012 boggles the mind. Also, adding Android apps is a straight up awful move.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

The home screen concept needs a revamp as it's functional but out dated. If Apple were to redesign the springboard UI in a way that incorporated both multitasking and notifications I'm sure it would look quite different.

I see the iOSification of the Mac a sensible decision though - these make sense seeing as the majority of the devices Apple sells are laptops. Doesn't make as much sense on a 27" iMac though!
  • Reply 30 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

What did you get the members you liked?
  • Reply 31 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

The home screen concept needs a revamp as it's functional but out dated. If Apple were to redesign the springboard UI in a way that incorporated both multitasking and notifications I'm sure it would look quite different.

I see the iOSification of the Mac a sensible decision though - these make sense seeing as the majority of the devices Apple sells are laptops. Doesn't make as much sense on a 27" iMac though!

Very good points.

I am conveinced that what made apple survive and thrive, the streamlined product line up, the insistence on right ways to do things and not giving tons of pointless options could be it's downfall if they don't wisen up. As Steve said, and I don't remember the exact quote don't do as I did, or as would do, do as you should in my spirit. The spirit now IMHO opinion would be learn from past mistakes, don't follow other people's shoes and be bold.

I think if they want to survive they should take good hid of that.

What I would do?

Diversify the line up. A premium ergonomically designed iMac line up with cutting edge features would be an idea.

More choices and more customisation of os x on a per class of machine as you hinted at is another one. Generally more customizability of the os is now highly required when apple are trying to pander to the iOS crowd and be everything to everyone. Options could be their new motto, enough of them to not make things more confusing but also sufficiently exciting again. Overhaul iOS but give an on off switch to switch back to "classic" on the flip of a switch too.

Spinning off a crazy bleeding edge division overseen by Ivy and given some of that incredible stash of cash to do whatever the hell they wanted to with it would also be an idea.

Just start being exciting and inspiring again, disruptive.

But who is going to do that the operations research guy at the helm? Phil the Schill Shiller? Mini jobs such as Scot forestall who seem to have all the cut throat attitude of Steve and his dark side but not much of his exciting innovative and apt for the beautiful side? I am getting bored just by thinking of them collectively...
  • Reply 32 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

He stacks them up and builds a little house out of them.

For a small pet perhaps.

For a lizard! To annoy lizard-brain haters...
  • Reply 33 of 143
    I did like the ad, that they made it without any negative references. At least they can go out with some style, with a real attempt.
  • Reply 34 of 143
    Quote:

No one who doesn't have one yet wants one. Take them back while you can still get some actual money for them.
  • Reply 35 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Very good points.

I am conveinced that what made apple survive and thrive, the streamlined product line up, the insistence on right ways to do things and not giving tons of pointless options could be it's downfall if they don't wisen up. As Steve said, and I don't remember the exact quote don't do as I did, or as would do, do as you should in my spirit. The spirit now IMHO opinion would be learn from past mistakes, don't follow other people's shoes and be bold.

I think if they want to survive they should take good hid of that.

What I would do?

Diversify the line up. A premium ergonomically designed iMac line up with cutting edge features would be an idea.

More choices and more customisation of os x on a per class of machine as you hinted at is another one. Generally more customizability of the os is now highly required when apple are trying to pander to the iOS crowd and be everything to everyone. Options could be their new motto, enough of them to not make things more confusing but also sufficiently exciting again. Overhaul iOS but give an on off switch to switch back to "classic" on the flip of a switch too.

Spinning off a crazy bleeding edge division overseen by Ivy and given some of that incredible stash of cash to do whatever the hell they wanted to with it would also be an idea.

Just start being exciting and inspiring again, disruptive.

But who is going to do that the operations research guy at the helm? Phil the Schill Shiller? Mini jobs such as Scot forestall who seem to have all the cut throat attitude of Steve and his dark side but not much of his exciting innovative and apt for the beautiful side? I am getting bored just by thinking of them collectively...

Apple has a good 3 or 4 years of success ahead of itself, using the current pipeline. Don't worry, Steve's strategy will be good for several more quarters of profits.
  • Reply 36 of 143
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a RIMM sell-off on Monday morning. (I don't mean the Playbooks ).
  • Reply 37 of 143
    Quote:

Oh, so you're that relative, the one who, when everyone wants an iPod, you got them a Zune.
  • Reply 38 of 143
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As soon as I'm finished bobbing my head up and down to attract a mate I'll properly respond to that.

I know this is leading us astray, but have you considered that if you stop bobbing your head up and down, you might be more successful in attracting a human mate?
  • Reply 39 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new feature called BlackBerry Bridge...

Good to see reporting standards here are on the rise.
  • Reply 40 of 143
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

Pretty lame attempt at trolling. More like two years and two months late. Personally, I like the latest Information Week article that says Blackberry dominance in business will drop from the current 70% to only 25% within two years. Sorry, RIM, but amateur hour is over.