RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

he's canadian so needed to buy pieces of cr+p playless books from a canadian co...not sure why because a company was canadian would wanna make u wanna buy from them more even if u are canadian..seeing that foxconn probably manufactures everything in good old china.
  • Reply 102 of 143
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

he's canadian so needed to buy pieces of cr+p playless books from a canadian co...not sure why because a company was canadian would wanna make u wanna buy from them more even if u are canadian..seeing that foxconn probably manufactures everything in good old china.

it could also be that bad luck happens in 3's.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

One can never argue with the self appointed minister of propaganda here.

Oh yeah? Tell me three things I stated as fact and i made up? As for my attitude it's expected at some point when I just finished reading one snarky comment after the other on a competitor (which I don't care that much about anyway, but nastiness is nastiness). Its all good and well and we can poke sarcastic fun at others but when someone (who also admittedly happens to like apple for the most part) has a bit of a mean spirited go too we suddenly lose our sense of humour? How convenient.

Yeas, thats exactly what i mean, and we agree, I am making a point that they are cross pollinating one bad interface iOS idea to os x. You might want to look for councelling at your blind subservience issues though if you think the rest is nonsense, and grow a sense of humour.

You 'like Apple for the most part'- you just happen to despise their top level decision makers (who also happen to be visionless, shit their pants, and imbecilic), their iPhone software, iPad software, desktop software, and their entire hardware philosophy and direction. Beyond these minor things, you actually like Apple, right? What's left?

How can you say that, without being a blatant troll, a liar, or both? And you might want to stop with the 'blind subservience' garbage against people who call you out on your bullshit. It's not a very original attack, but I'm sure you knew that. Maybe next time you could mix it up with 'iSheep', 'cultists', and 'worshippers', because nobody has heard these attacks either. I noticed you didn't bother replying to my response where I broke down your 'points' line by line, making the ridiculousness of your words clear. No, it's easier to keep demanding that people show you 'proof' that your 'facts' are wrong, even though your entire post was nothing but personal attacks, nastiness, and demanding that Apple does exactly what you want them to do. Because obviously their success to this point was completely accidental, right? According to you they're doing everything wrong. Does that seem rational to you? There's not a shred of rationality in your posts, so stop demanding that people 'prove' that you're wrong, and stop being a lying, disingenuous troll because it's clear there's not a single aspect of the company you actually like.
  • Reply 104 of 143
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

It's all good and well to poke fun at rim who has neither apple's clout nor their resources in LCD, flash and CPU parts and who can't bully exclusivity out of manufacturers, hence they opt out for said size of tablet, but if yet another tablet os gets nowhere this is going to do competition and innovation no good. Having said that it was indeed a poor decision, and a hasty one to opt for said size to undercut apple in price, a lot of us saw this size as doa without other prerequisites such as e.g. Amazons clout behind it.

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.

The kindle version of Android is providing enough competition. Instead of trying to save us all from Apple, maybe RIM can dedicate their resources to making a great new product people want. That is how Apple got all that clout. RIM got in this predicament because they laughed when change came instead of participating. Their iceberg has melted.
  • Reply 105 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The kindle version of Android is providing enough competition. Instead of trying to save us all from Apple, maybe RIM can dedicate their resources to making a great new product people want. That is how Apple got all that clout. RIM got in this predicament because they laughed when change came instead of participating. Their iceberg has melted.

It is pretty ridiculous that someone would say it's not fair that Apple has the best products at the best prices as if they obtained that position in ways that weren't available to all other companies.

I do have to say that in all fairness I don't think RiM laughed at Apple or the iPhone, I think they were so dumbfounded and nonplussed that the only thing they could conceive is that the iPhone's demo had to have been faked.
  • Reply 106 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Yeah but I can have my buttons pushed too, you know, I am human, snarkiness breeds snarkiness. I might not be making things better, but I am not instigating it. If Dan wants to be perennially sarcastic with everyone and anyone not apple he's instigating trash talk even by people who are fond of the way apple are doing things most of the time. At some point it might be wise for him to realize this and tone it down a notch.

He should also bear in mind that apple is now the largest tech company in the world and people will find it much harder stomaching nastiness for nastiness sake towards other waaaaaay much smaller struggling companies. It's one thing to make fun of msft or google and another thing to make fun of every small player trying to carve a niche for themselves with their much smaller resources. That's just petty.

If I keep noting the same unwarranted nasty attitude I will leave don't worry.

This concept of "smaller companies" doesn't wash. Apple was a smaller company as well, but they managed to become the second largest tech company in the world, as Samsung was the largest last year, though that will change this year.

Apple managed to get where they are because of brilliant management. RIM is where they are because of poor management. Otherwise, RIM could be much larger, and Apple could be much smaller.

So criticizing RIM for their incompetence is perfectly fair. You should read the financial sites to read really bad things about them. RIM screwed up, not because they are smaller, but because they failed to see what was happening around them. By the time they understood, it was really too late.

Then, to come out with the Playbook in the state it was in, was totally incorrigible. How could they dare to claim that it was the "first professional tablet" when it could do almost nothing? They KNEW the software wasn't ready. Then they promised the fixes in the beginning of the summer, then the end of the summer, then by the end of the year, and finally, this February, a date they finally met.

That had nothing to do with their size. Apple carried out several major turnovers throughout the years, first moving from the 68xxx to the PC. Then from System 9 to OS X, then to x86. And even thought they were a smaller company than RIM has been, and much poorer, they carried it off very well.

So to state that Apple is doing well because it bullies its supply lines, is telling us nothing useful. It can do what it wants to there BECAUSE it's been so very successful making products people want, not the other way around. They grew into the role, not the other way around.

But RIM, well, they were at the top of the world. But now, they are at the edge of the cliff.

And it's all their fault.
  • Reply 107 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

RIM screwed up, not because they are smaller, but because they failed to see what was happening around them. By the time they understood, it was really too late.

But RIM, well, they were at the top of the world. But now, they are at the edge of the cliff.

And it's all their fault.

You can replace RIM with Kodak and get the exact same result. Heck, Kodak even had the first digital camera. They should have seen it coming.

RIM should have done better. I would think businesses would have expected better from a company they had trusted for so long.

And now they trust Apple, who they would never have before. Funny how that works.
  • Reply 108 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It is pretty ridiculous that someone would say it's not fair that Apple has the best products at the best prices as if they obtained that position in ways that weren't available to all other companies.

I do have to say that in all fairness I don't think RiM laughed at Apple or the iPhone, I think they were so dumbfounded and nonplussed that the only thing they could conceive is that the iPhone's deo had to have been faked.

RIM didn't laugh at the iPhone, they just didn't believe that Apple could make the product they claimed to have made, until they bought one, and took it apart.

On the other hand, Microsoft, or at least Ballmer, did laugh at it in that now infamous interview, where he even got his facts wrong.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can replace RIM with Kodak and get the exact same result. Heck, Kodak even had the first digital camera. They should have seen it coming.

RIM should have done better. I would think businesses would have expected better from a company they had trusted for so long.

And now they trust Apple, who they would never have before. Funny how that works.

While I don't know people at RIM, and so I can't say anything about what happened there other than what I read in the financial and business sites, I do know Kodak very well. My company and Kodak did a lot of business together, and we developed the world's only professional Kodachrome line. I also wrote a lot of technical articles for their monthly professional lab newsletter.

Kodak is a much sadder case than RIM, for whom I feel little sorrow. Kodak, on the other hand, was a victim of much greater forces. All the great photography houses are suffering the same fate. I had a $300,000 AGFA mini-lab in my lab. A major force in many areas of photography, and they finally sold the photo division to its managers. They even lent them to money to do the deal, they were so eager to get out of the business.

Kodak simply waited too long to drop some areas. But their problems go back to the late 1990?s. I won't go into all of that, but if they hadn't done some things that the financial industry was pounding them to do, they would still be solvent today. The only reason why Fuji is doing ok in this area is because photography is just a small part of their business.

But look at the others. Konica was merged (really bought) by Minolta, which itself was then bought by Sony, as it was failing. Sony is now having problems. Olympus is racked with scandal, and may not survive the way they are now. Pentax was broken up and parts are owned by two companies.

I could go on, but it's almost too sad to relate.
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Quote:

I could go on, but it's almost too sad to relate.

Be happy with Canon and Nikon. Both make fine products. We can choose between two excellent choices.

I hope that other electronics categories do not get whittled down to only one choice.
  • Reply 111 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Be happy with Canon and Nikon. Both make fine products. We can choose between two excellent choices.

I hope that other electronics categories do not get whittled down to only one choice.

It isn't that simple, of course. I've been a Canon SLR, and then D-SLR user since 1969. But Kodak's products covered a greater range in many ways.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    All of this sounds like survival of the fittest. Apple has been able to keep up by its ability to draw in with the easy to use and simple look. Android for its many choices and cheap prices. Its sad to see company's like Kodak go, but if you can't keep up with the wants you become the has beens.
  • Reply 113 of 143
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

This is to hopefully clear up the misconception that the Playbook can run Android apps. It can't. Period. At first, RIM was being very coy about that, but it was rapidly cleared up after being asked pointed questions about it.

This is from RIM's web site, in one of their FAQ's:

Repackaged actually means recompiled and tweaked.

wow. so all that hype about the Playbook running Android apps is, in fact, total bullshit. unbelievable shuck and jive. has even one actually been recompiled? (probably, but 100?)?

so why hasn't the blogsphere piled on this blatant fraud?
  • Reply 114 of 143
    Quote:

If I keep noting the same unwarranted nasty attitude I will leave don't worry.

Feel free. Nobody is holding you back.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    RIM will post another $100 million+ write-off this quarter on Playbook inventory. The cycle will continue and add up to over a billion dollar loss. With no path to profitability, especially at $199

All while their core cell phone business burns to the ground. Launch in '2nd half of 2012' means holiday Q4 with Q1 full rollout - a full year from now

Any company that could bring the Storm to market and advertise the crap out of it deserves to go down
  • Reply 116 of 143
    Is it just me, or does every button press in the video seem very careful and deliberate, as if the screen might not reliably respond to a light tap?
  • Reply 117 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

To me this ad says "If you are the kind of person who wastes money on pretentious decor and food... boy do we have the tablet for you!"

I don't think the tablet market is currently aimed at folks who eat at McDonalds every day.
  • Reply 118 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

I think you missed the implied /s tag.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Is it just me, or does every button press in the video seem very careful and deliberate, as if the screen might not reliably respond to a light tap?

Oh, that's not just you; it won't.
  • Reply 120 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

RIM has a great opportunity in the gag holiday gift market.