RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late

Comments

• Reply 61 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath.

Despite your attitude, if I can understand this remark to mean that we should be able to choose custom icons for folders in iOS, then I would agree. But since that is such a simple thing for Apple to do there must be a reason why they have chosen not to provide that feature, although, I cannot think of one.

The rest of your rant is just nonsense. You might want to look into counseling for those anger issues.
  • Reply 62 of 143
    my only question is why was this article posted. It has nothing to do with anything Apple.

Okay sure one could argue that its about an Apple competitor and therefore is relevant but I personally don't buy that argument. I would rather no articles be posted then to see ones about other companies that just happen to have slightly similar products in the same markets.

Posters argue all the time about how Samsung etc would do better to ignore their competition in advertising and such. Doesn't that argument hold true for a site such as APPLEinsider (not tabletinsider or computerinsider). With or without the fact that this other product is hardly a viable threat particularly with the rumors that Apple will have out a new iPad within the next month
  • Reply 63 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

You forgot the old standby "Apple needs competition!"

Also, why would anyone hate the taste of lizard brains? The secret is to add butter and salt.
  • Reply 64 of 143
    Has "lizard-brains" become the new replacement descriptor for Apple fans? Since the OTHER word is now taboo, that is.

Gotta keep up with the kids' trends these days…
  • Reply 65 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Has "lizard-brains" become the new replacement descriptor for Apple fans? Since the OTHER word is now taboo, that is.

Gotta keep up with the kids' trends these days?

They even make apps for reptiles and amphibians now so I guess so.
  • Reply 66 of 143
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

my only question is why was this article posted. It has nothing to do with anything Apple.

It has a lot to do with Apple. Not a single one of those other tablets would have ever existed if it were not for the iPad. And remember, these other companies have challenged Apple, by making such stupid statements as "amateur hour is over."

It's good to lay the facts down on the table, so that we can all see who the real amateurs are.

And besides, I like to see certain companies fail, and I enjoy these kinds of articles.
  • Reply 67 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a pretty easy thing to do when all they did was buy a licence to ActiveSync.

It's not like RIM figured this stuff out. Microsoft's engineers did it years ago and RIM bought it in a nice little package.

What I love about this... the *ONLY* thing of value left at RIM is the BES server. And they don't even bother making the Playbook part of that world. The amount of fail here is beyond belief.
  • Reply 68 of 143
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm having lizard-brains for dinner tonight. It's actually not that bad, and I hear that it's quite nutritious. I prefer mine medium rare. And for dessert, I'll be serving Fandroid intestines sprinkled with a touch of iHater BBQ sauce.
  • Reply 69 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It has a lot to do with Apple. Not a single one of those other tablets would have ever existed if it were not for the iPad.

That's a rub. In and of themselves they aren't bad and would have been wildly successful had they beaten everyone else to market, but since they are all following Apple and are not better than what Apple offers by any valid measure they are DOA. The same goes for the smartphone market. WP7 is great but it's just not nearly good enough to pull people who care about quality from the iPhone to a WP7-based device.
  • Reply 70 of 143
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Also, why would anyone hate the taste of lizard brains? The secret is to add butter and salt.

Tastes like chicken.
  • Reply 71 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Tastes like chicken.

Then clearly you have never had real lizard brains because they don't taste like chicken at all. Faux lizard brains are flavored like chicken because they can't make them taste like lizard brains because real lizard brains taste like Tasty Wheat
  • Reply 72 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's all good and well

All your silly insults deleted! no need to repeat them!

So nobody ever told you not to mix marihuana psilocybe mexicana and cocaine in your smoke?

Get some sleep boy.
  • Reply 73 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I know this is leading us astray, but have you considered that if you stop bobbing your head up and down, you might be more successful in attracting a human mate?

No-you have it all wrong. Sol isn't human.He's half Darwin Unix programing and half Appleinsider posting monster in a custom aluminum unibody enclosure.
  • Reply 74 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

No-you have it all wrong. Sol isn't human.He's half Darwin Unix programing and half Appleinsider posting monster in a custom aluminum unibody enclosure.

• Reply 75 of 143
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I picked up a PlayBook when it was on sale through BB's web store for $187 shipped.

Even with the 2.0 update, it's pretty well useless compared to an iPad, I can nearly replace a laptop with my iPad2, I can replace virtually nothing with the PlayBook.
  • Reply 76 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

I picked up a PlayBook when it was on sale through BB's web store for $187 shipped.

Even with the 2.0 update, it's pretty well useless compared to an iPad, I can nearly replace a laptop with my iPad2, I can replace virtually nothing with the PlayBook.

That is my feeling, too. Granted I have only use the PlayBook (and HP Touchpad and Moto Xoom) in a very limited capacity but it seems to me that even a refurbished or used iPad 1 would be a much better option for nearly every user, sans some bizarre fringe need.
  • Reply 77 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Okay sure one could argue that its about an Apple competitor and therefore is relevant but I personally don't buy that argument. I would rather no articles be posted then to see ones about other companies that just happen to have slightly similar products in the same markets.

Posters argue all the time about how Samsung etc would do better to ignore their competition in advertising and such. Doesn't that argument hold true for a site such as APPLEinsider (not tabletinsider or computerinsider). With or without the fact that this other product is hardly a viable threat particularly with the rumors that Apple will have out a new iPad within the next month

It doesn't hold true for a site like this because it's here to cater to its readers' interests, which happen to include news about competitors that may affect Apple's sales, profits, or viability in some other way. Or competing technologies.

If no one posted to these articles, then it could be assumed there was little interest, and so articles like this would cease to be written. But as that isn't the case, we'll continue to see them.

I find it interesting that on ArsTechnica, where about one third are Apple product users, they have an Apple section. But we still get posts from people who think like you do, and insist that there are far too many articles about Apple on the site, even though they must go to the article in a deliberate way to read it.

If you don't want to read an article that isn't exactly pointed at Apple, then don't read that article. I don't see the problem.
  • Reply 78 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

What I love about this... the *ONLY* thing of value left at RIM is the BES server. And they don't even bother making the Playbook part of that world. The amount of fail here is beyond belief.

Believe me, they want to make it work with BES, but they haven't been able to so far. Hopefully for them, they will be able to when the new BB10 phone, London, appears late in the year(hopefully it will appear late this year).
  • Reply 79 of 143
    with all this talk about lizard brains, I'm still not sure if he was calling us lizard brains for hating the Playbook, or whether he was telling Playbook users who have lizard brains to not worry about the haters. It reads either way.
  • Reply 80 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's hard to take anything you say seriously when adding more choices, like with Launchpad as an option, is exactly what they are doing.

You really sound like an elitist who doesn't want Macs to be used by people who only bought one because they'd use an iPhone or iPad. How dare Apple capitalize on the success of those devices by innovating ways to make the desktop OS more attractive¡

One can never argue with the self appointed minister of propaganda here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I suppose that for you, living in ignorance is bliss. Feel good making most things up?

Oh yeah? Tell me three things I stated as fact and i made up? As for my attitude it's expected at some point when I just finished reading one snarky comment after the other on a competitor (which I don't care that much about anyway, but nastiness is nastiness). Its all good and well and we can poke sarcastic fun at others but when someone (who also admittedly happens to like apple for the most part) has a bit of a mean spirited go too we suddenly lose our sense of humour? How convenient.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Despite your attitude, if I can understand this remark to mean that we should be able to choose custom icons for folders in iOS, then I would agree. But since that is such a simple thing for Apple to do there must be a reason why they have chosen not to provide that feature, although, I cannot think of one.

The rest of your rant is just nonsense. You might want to look into counseling for those anger issues.

Yeas, thats exactly what i mean, and we agree, I am making a point that they are cross pollinating one bad interface iOS idea to os x. You might want to look for councelling at your blind subservience issues though if you think the rest is nonsense, and grow a sense of humour.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So nobody ever told you not to mix marihuana psilocybe mexicana and cocaine in your smoke?

Get some sleep boy.

It's always ad hominems when we can't actually argue with what someone is saying... You sure know how to make these cocktails it seems...