RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

RIM has a great opportunity in the gag holiday gift market.

Preload it with a whoopee cushion app that is meant to actually be sat upon and a rubber chicken that has some good physics replication and jiggles based on the accelerometer and you might have something there.
  • Reply 122 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's all good and well to poke fun at rim who has neither apple's clout nor their resources in LCD, flash and CPU parts and who can't bully exclusivity out of manufacturers, hence they opt out for said size of tablet, but if yet another tablet os gets nowhere this is going to do competition and innovation no good. Having said that it was indeed a poor decision, and a hasty one to opt for said size to undercut apple in price, a lot of us saw this size as doa without other prerequisites such as e.g. Amazons clout behind it.

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.

I must visit this site more often. I was unaware its contributors included trolls of your caliber.
  • Reply 123 of 143
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

Can anyone explain why my car has the same gas and brake pedals that I had 20 years ago? And why my toaster has the same lever on the side and the same cord and plug to go into the outlet? And why the heck does my mailbox still have a door that folds down in the front? Maybe they all lack innovation?

Changing things for the sake of change is ridiculous. If someone comes up with a better way to do things, you can be sure that Apple will change the interface. But until then, the iOS interface is the best on the market so why change it?
  • Reply 124 of 143
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    this has regift written all over it!
  • Reply 125 of 143
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What did you get the members you liked?

The art of regifting!!
  • Reply 126 of 143
    I saw a chap on a plane with one of these the other day. I almost felt sorry for him.
  • Reply 127 of 143
    Every time I read news about the Playbook I end up going back to my first experience with it. My daughter and I spotted a couple of demo units and picked them up. Within 2 minutes, the browser had crashed on me and the entire unit rebooted. Even after the reboot, the browser kept crashing. The one my daughter had froze and wouldnt power down. We couldn't figure out the magic key combo to force a restart.

Terrible first impression, and before anyone scoffs at me making judgments based on demo units, bear in mind that I've played with dozens of iPad demo units and I've never seen anything even close to that.
  • Reply 128 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ailing Research in Motion on Tuesday released the long-awaited PlayBook OS 2.0 update

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Well, this is surely the most biased review I have ever read. I love my iPad, but I have also a new PlayBook with 2.0 and absolutely love it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Where is my Playbook Android emulator ?

It is built in, you just download the android app and it plays

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Every time I read news about the Playbook I end up going back to my first experience with it. My daughter and I spotted a couple of demo units and picked them up. Within 2 minutes, the browser had crashed on me and the entire unit rebooted. Even after the reboot, the browser kept crashing. The one my daughter had froze and wouldnt power down. We couldn't figure out the magic key combo to force a restart.

Terrible first impression, and before anyone scoffs at me making judgments based on demo units, bear in mind that I've played with dozens of iPad demo units and I've never seen anything even close to that.

You should then try 2.0, the browser is far better than the Apple one and more compliant, which mean it works on all websites
  • Reply 129 of 143
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sfsfca View Post

You should then try 2.0, the browser is far better than the Apple one and more compliant, which mean it works on all websites

Can you explain what you mean by "far better.
  • Reply 130 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I know this is leading us astray, but have you considered that if you stop bobbing your head up and down, you might be more successful in attracting a human mate?

Depends on which kind of mate he wants to attract. Komodo dragon women would be all over him.
  • Reply 131 of 143
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can you explain what you mean by {the Playbook browser is} "far better{than the iPad browser}.

He can watch his favorite Flash pr0n sites. Mostly.
  • Reply 132 of 143
    I just watched the embedded video. And my first thought was, OMG this is so far behind my iPOD Touch. Except it doesn't fit into my pockets. What on earth are they thinking? This is so sad really.
  • Reply 133 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

My first iphone, and my second had safari crashing a lot... it took a couple of years for safari to be a stable release for most people - that's the nature of software. Ios being a more mature platform is a more stable one too. Even maturity though doesn't guarantee a software is going to run well or, sadly at all, again that's the nature of software. Currently my ipad 2 (which I plan to update to the ipad 3 for that by all accounts glorious retina display) can't sync with itunes for some crazy bug, and I am waiting for ios>5.01 since my icloud backup (to apple's fault...they should have though of that...) seems not to be incremental so I 'll have to revert to a recent back up with the bug and not some set point in the past a month ago when the bug wasn't there. It's software.

OS X at the moment has some crazy ass bug that smb shares can't be searched via the finder, and no one really knows why (there's a very detailed discussion going around in circles at apple's site), this started with lion and apple's new smb2 compliant v.1 implementation as opposed to the reverse engineered gpl samba they were using, but it might not be due to that since one can search via the terminal.

That's software for you, more mature platforms offer better odds of functionality, but even mature platforms can come up with very frustrating bugs. You wanna give rim's playbook a go for whatever reason with that in mind if it suits some of your needs, why not?

I am opting for the retina display of ipad 3 cause legibility of font is what I value most at the moment, as well of course as apple as a mobile platform. In OS X due to apple's insistence on not catering for resolution independence (finally...) I am getting effed with the tiny font of the system, as well as their insistence on not colour coding anything in their new paradigm. If they wise up and give me options to get larger and user selectable font system wide and colour coding on their toolbars, I 'll stick with them, otherwise I 'll ditch them, it's not as if the finder has really advanced, or the file system, and things like versions and mission control are at best dubious if they are more helpful or not.

No one is perfect as Steve said, and I firmly believe no matter what the apologists might say, as I 've written here before, that if Steve in his the last years of his life, esp. the last two had not been suffering so much so as to have his wits and his vision more intact he would have definitely have realized that apple should go on in a new direction with proving the user more options and more diversification of products. What worked for apple circa 2000 won't necessarily work circa 2012.

Cause Steve was indeed a smart guy with foresight and an ability to change gears when it was warranted. And when it was warranted he would also bust down the occasional door and tell everyone why the hell this does that (ios waking from stand by) and this doesn't do that (the mac waking from stand by). And he also had the guts to say how can you trust us with icloud when we brought you mobile me. I am sure if he were up to scratch these last years here on earth (or at least I d like to believe that) he would barge in the os x dev. room and tell them what the hell is wrong with you and all the monochromatic bs that you are making the mac look as if something from the 1980s, and people are emailing me that they can't tell anything from anything else apart and most of our user base is up in arms about this, get off your high horse and just put a damn switch in settings that colour codes os wide if the user wants to.

end of rant.
  • Reply 134 of 143
    Quote:

You seem to be banned, but I'll correct it anyway: No, this is not at all how it works. Try again.
  • Reply 135 of 143
    Quote:

end of rant.

Let's hope so
  • Reply 136 of 143
    not worded well enough, my bad, pause in rant.
  • Reply 137 of 143
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I saw a chap on a plane with one of these the other day. I almost felt sorry for him.

Sure hope he wasn't the pilot. Then I'd say a prayer for you both!
  • Reply 138 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

wow. so all that hype about the Playbook running Android apps is, in fact, total bullshit. unbelievable shuck and jive. has even one actually been recompiled? (probably, but 100?)?

so why hasn't the blogsphere piled on this blatant fraud?

It's been talked about, but even some analysts and financial writers have stated the incorrect story in articles. Too many of these people just don't do their own face to face research. RIM users don't seem to want to talk about it, and the rest really do believe that BB10 devices will be able to run Android apps. I've come across this many times since QNX was first announced.
  • Reply 139 of 143
    Quote:

No, you can't even download an Android app, and even if you could, it wouldn't run. You obviously have never used a Playbook, and haven't read anything useful about it.
  • Reply 140 of 143
    Quote:

Well, this is surely the most biased review I have ever read. I love my iPad, but I have also a new PlayBook with 2.0 and absolutely love it.

Please tell the truth at least. You don't have either device. It's pretty obvious.