Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 301 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Do you believe everything Apple says? I know I don't.

Apple may not be competing with the Kindle Fire but Amazon sure as hell are going after potential iPad buyers. Just look at all the Kindle adverts. Almost all of them compare the Kindle to the iPad directly.

I've never seen an Amazon Kindle Fire in Australia yet!
  • Reply 302 of 425
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here's an idea. Sell the iPad 2 now while it has the most resale value, then buy a brand new iPad third gen and give that to them. You'll be money ahead and not look like such a cheap ass.

Or, just give them the iPad 2 now for no particular reason other than you are a nice guy. Then in nine months buy them some less expensive trinket for Christmas. After all the spirt of Christmas should not be about expensive gifts anyway. now should it? Oh right it is about expensive gifts since Christmas is a made up holiday, which has nothing at all to do with the Bible, it is more about the pagan solstice celebration known as Saturnalia. Historians believe that Jesus was was born sometime in the fall not December 25th. Most people don't care though since they are non-practicing-sudo-Christians who just want the gifts.

I think you're over analyzing his gift. If the spirit of Christmas isn't about expensive gifts, as you say...why make your original complaint and describe him as a "cheap ass"? Gifts are personal, and you haven't got a clue who he is, who his family is, or how that gift would be received. He does. My brother is twelve years younger than me and basically broke, as most early twenty somethings are...so if I gave him my iPad2 that he couldn't afford used for next Christmas, I'm a cheap-ass? Or maybe fucking benevolent, considering I would be taking at least a two hundred dollar loss just so I could see him enjoy something.

You've managed to insinuate he is a cheap ass and a supporter of an arbitrary consumer holiday all in the same post...and then give him advice on how to make the most money off of it. Get lost. He didn't ask for your approval of his gift. You're just playing the role of wise council and coming off as a junior know-it-all.
  • Reply 303 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple may not be competing with the Kindle Fire but Amazon sure as hell are going after potential iPad buyers. Just look at all the Kindle adverts. Almost all of them compare the Kindle to the iPad directly.

For starters Apple doesn't seem to have an extra large stock pile of iPads to sell. Second, I have trouble seeing how someone who is looking at a $199 Kindle with 8GB storage and very limited HW features would also be considering an iPad that costs from 2.5x to over 4x as much. It's like wondering about going to Ruth Chris's for filet mignon or hitting Taco Bell drive thru for a Doritos taco. Both are fine in their own right, but when you plan to get one you aren't likely considering the other.

Of course Amazon wants you to compare the Kindle Fire to the iPad. The iPad is a hot device. I think only the iPhone outsells it. By making an association you try to feed off it's prestige, it's popularity. In fact, from a marketing perspective you ONLY do it when the product you are comparing to has taken a huge tumble in popularity (like when Apple finally started using Window Vista in adds specifically instead of just saying PC) or when your product is clearly inferior and needs the association bump. If it were truly a competitor in size, capabilities and price against a product with that much mindshare it likely hurt them.
  • Reply 304 of 425
    Can anyone tell me what has happened to the <LOL> Chromebook?
  • Reply 305 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

I thought it was sound idea. It's basically WebOS but with a desktop UI. The browser interface is the most used and familiar app on PCs.

Looking at GoogleTV it seems like they might be moving to use Android as the core OS for everything which still means they can still use the Chrome OS UI concept.
  • Reply 306 of 425
    Quote:

Of course Amazon is going after Apple.

Apple is entering their 3rd year in the tablet market... while Amazon has only been in the tablet game for 4 months.

I think the term "underdog" describes Amazon at this point.

At least Amazon went in another direction... making a smaller, cheaper 7" tablet at $200

Remember when the other guys were selling their tablets at the same price an the iPad? That didn't work out too well... especially for the Playbook and the TouchPad.
  • Reply 307 of 425
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

It went from a "delivery" date of March 16 to a "ship" date of March 19. Since it takes roughly 5-7 days to be delivered from Shenzhen, China, it's about a two week slip.

It does not take 5-7 days to ship from Shenzhen China. It only takes an extra day depending on where you live in the US. Apple has an amazing distribution system and planes at the ready each day to make the 13 hour flight to the states. When I ordered my custom iMac on a Monday, it was built and delivered from China by Thursday morning.
  • Reply 308 of 425
    Quote:

They are of different product category, just ask Google
  • Reply 309 of 425
    Quote:

The figures I mentioned were quoted on Bloomberg TV last week as fact. Not analysts estimates.

That's naive.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear on TV. Even Bloomberg TV.
  • Reply 310 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It does not take 5-7 days to ship from Shenzen China. It takes only 2 or 3 days depending on where you live.

By the same logic, he is right all along he live where it takes 5-7 days to arrive.
  • Reply 311 of 425
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

I've never seen an Amazon Kindle Fire in Australia yet!

They're only available in the US at the moment as far as I know.
  • Reply 312 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Of course Amazon is going after Apple.

Apple is entering their 3rd year in the tablet market... while Amazon has only been in the tablet game for 4 months.

I think the term "underdog" describes Amazon at this point.

At least Amazon went in another direction... making a smaller, cheaper 7" tablet at $200

Remember when the other guys were selling their tablets at the same price an the iPad? That didn't work out too well... especially for the Playbook and the TouchPad.

Those other guys also decided to go in another direction by trying to cut Apple off at the pass with a 7" device. They could claim it's more portable and likely cut down on costs. That didn't work which makes me wonder how Amazon will me a 10" Fire, assuming the rumours are true. If we assume a $100 price increase, which includes 16GB storage instead of 8GB, and adding better HW can they still compete with the $399 iPad 2? I'm not so sure. If they don't add the additional HW features I don't think they have much of a chance at all. I think the market segment Apple doesn't play is the only reason they have any substantial sales. The multi-media eReaders are the netbooks of tablets.
  • Reply 313 of 425
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's naive.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear on TV. Even Bloomberg TV.

They are professionals paid to give unbiased analysis. I would trust what they say over anything I read on a forum like this.
  • Reply 314 of 425
    Quote:

And, how's that strategy panned out for them? Do you (does anyone) know?
  • Reply 315 of 425
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

What's your definition of cheap? The iPad is more expensive than most laptops.

Most laptops cost less than $499? Most garbage laptops. Perhaps that's part of the reason Apple laptops sell so well. Apple doesn't sell garbage laptops, which leaves the bottom of the barrel open to whichever companies want to make trash and accept razor thin margins.

And I only quoted the price of the new iPad. The previous iPad 2 sells NEW for $399.
  • Reply 316 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought it was sound idea. It's basically WebOS but with a desktop UI. The browser interface is the most used and familiar app on PCs.

Looking at GoogleTV it seems like they might be moving to use Android as the core OS for everything which still means they can still use the Chrome OS UI concept.

I am not an Apple Fanboi. My first computer was an Atari 800 and that kicked ass all over the Apple II. I used Palm's all the way up to the Palm TX when nobody was using them and unfortunately that company had serious management issues, which produced really crappy products in the end. I have enjoyed Sega Megadrives, sony Playstations etc.

My point is Google make very boring mediocre products and I wish there were better alternatives to Apple. Could Atari make a comeback???

It is really sad that Google is the only other option at this stage. They have always had an ugly design aesthetic and have never been innovative. Their best product youtube was bought.
  • Reply 317 of 425
    Quote:

They are professionals paid to give unbiased analysis. I would trust what they say over anything I read on a forum like this.

Unbiased is not the same as 'factually correct.'

It simply means that the expected value of errors is zero.
  • Reply 318 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

My brother is twelve years younger than me and basically broke, as most early twenty somethings are...so if I gave him my iPad2 that he couldn't afford used for next Christmas, I'm a cheap-ass?

Just my opinion but anyone who gives something they no longer need to someone else as a Christmas 'gift' is a cheap ass and worse that they think they are benevolent for doing so is just offensive. If you want to give something that you no longer need, just give it. Don't wrap it up with a bow and put it under the Xmas tree. I hope you don't mind if your brother sells it on eBay and buys something that really needs, not your old hand me downs.
  • Reply 319 of 425
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Most laptops cost less than $499? Most garbage laptops. Perhaps that's part of the reason Apple laptops sell so well. Apple doesn't sell garbage laptops, which leaves the bottom of the barrel open to whichever companies want to make trash and accept razor thin margins.

I don't have sales numbers, but yeah, I bet the midpoint in prices for laptop sales in the USA is below $500. And by the way, Apple's laptops don't sell well. They have less than 10% of the market. They are hugely profitable, but don't confuse that with popularity. They are broadly DESIRED but rarely, in the big picture, purchased.

Edit: http://blog.laptopmag.com/average-wi...t-in-24-months

Average non Apple laptop as of January cost $456. So yeah, most laptops cost well under $499.
  • Reply 320 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just my opinion but anyone who gives something they no longer need to someone else as a Christmas 'gift' is a cheap ass and worse that they think they are benevolent for doing so is just offensive. If you want to give something that you no longer need, just give it. Don't wrap it up with a bow and put it under the Xmas tree. I hope you don't mind if your brother sells it on eBay and buys something that really needs, not your old hand me downs.

Scenario1: I no long need my Bently Continental GT because I decided I want a Frisker Karma. I give it to you as a Christmas gift. Am I cheap?

Scenario2: I decided to give you 1000 shares of Apple stock because I feel I'll not need it. Am I cheap?

I'm pretty sure that makes me crazy... but not cheap.

In all seriousness, I agree that he shouldn't sit on the gift but I don't think it makes him cheap. If you are not using it now why hold onto it for over 9 months waiting for a holiday to arrive. Just give it to him now. You can even say, "Don't expect anything for Christmas" or "This is a very early Christmas present."