Samsung says it wasn't involved with 'Wake Up' Apple Store flashmob

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Samsung has publicly disassociated itself with a "Wake Up" flashmob protest that was held outside of an Apple retail store in Australia earlier this week.

The stunt conducted this week in Sydney gained attention after a mob of people stood outside an Apple store holding black signs with "WAKE UP." written in white. Initial reports suggested Samsung was behind the stunt, but the company denied involvement in a statement to SlashGear on Friday.

The mock protesters spilled out of a large black bus to stage the event on Thursday. It was suggested that Tongue, a local Australian ad company, was behind the campaign and attempting to hype Samsung's forthcoming Galaxy S III smartphone, which is expected to launch next week on May 3.

In coordination with the flashmob, the campaign was accompanied by a number of billboards and the words "Wake Up." written on the bottom of the Bondi Ice Bergs pool.

"Samsung Electronics Australia has nothing to do with the Wake-Up Campaign," the company said in a statement.

Video of flashmob as captured by blogger Nate Burr.

Samsung did, however, suggest that iPhone users are mindless "sheep" in a teaser video released earlier this week. The promotional video states that users of the next-generation phone can stand out from "everyone else," while a bunch of sheep are shown in the ad, though Apple or the iPhone are not mentioned by name.

Samsung also mocked customers who wait in line for Apple's iPhone launches with a series of commercials that began last November. The commercials promoting the Galaxy S II smartphone used the tagline: "The next big thing is already here."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Well, now it doesn't matter if they WERE behind it, as they've disassociated themselves from it.

Wonder what that countdown is, then.

• Reply 2 of 63
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Now will all those who blasted Samsung for this heinous act apologize or at least retract their hateful statements?

• Reply 3 of 63
    dbeatsdbeats Posts: 26member

I told you, it was Apple telling you to wake up and buy the new iPad. Samsung only wished it had originality in advertising like this.

Wake up and buy the new iPad already!!

Screen Shot 2012-04-27 at 12.33.06 PM.png

• Reply 4 of 63
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Now will all those who blasted Samsung for this heinous act apologize or at least retract their hateful statements?

Signs point to no.

Doesn't matter, everyone will keep proclaiming Samsung as shallow IP thieves and Samsung will keep selling a crapton of phones.

I think it's particularly hilarious that while supposedly clearing Samsung, the article goes on to remind everyone that Samsung still hates Apple users and thinks they're dumb.  

• Reply 5 of 63
    madgoatmadgoat Posts: 21member

It's funny... they call us sheep, but they're sheep themselves. We're all sheep/fanboys of what we love.

• Reply 6 of 63
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

"Samsung Electronics Australia has nothing to do with the Wake-Up Campaign," the company said in a statement.

However, Samsung Electronics South Korea does.... ;)

• Reply 7 of 63
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

In other news, the United Kingdom says it is not involved with the London 2012 Olympics.

• Reply 8 of 63
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member

Poor fb's, can't handle the fact that people other than Samsung think they are sheep LOL.

• Reply 9 of 63
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

No, because we don't believe them, based on their ad campaigns.

• Reply 10 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    stelligent wrote: »
    <p> Now will all those who blasted Samsung for this heinous act apologize or at least retract their hateful statements?</p>
    How about we wait until that clock finishes and we see 100% that it had nothing to do with them

If it was the ad company Samsung till deserves a bam for not overseeing what they were up to.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Samsung is obviously lying though.  Other than Microsoft who else would it be but Samsung?  

Microsoft usually owns up to this kind of stuff when they do it.  Ergo: It's Samsung and they are just lying.  

• Reply 12 of 63

LMAO too funny.

• Reply 13 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    stelligent wrote: »
    <p> Now will all those who blasted Samsung for this heinous act apologize or at least retract their hateful statements?</p>

To whom do we make the apology?

Dear Samsung,

I apologise.

Now come and take away your junk that litters my garage, the fridge that doesn't work, the home theatre system that doesn't work, the washing machine that doesn't work.

Once again please accept my humblest apologies, I prostrate myself at the feet of your greatness.

PS now that that's behind us, care to celebrate over a bowl of dog stew?.

Are you happy now, stelligent?
  • Reply 14 of 63

Quote:

I hate to tell you this but Samsung is broken into many independent units that can submit press releases that state, "We didn't do it," while another unit did it.

It's kind of like Proview selling the iPod name and still owning it.

• Reply 15 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

PS now that that's behind us, care to celebrate over a bowl of dog stew?.

Hey, the Germans and French used to eat dogs enthusiastically so it can't be all that bad.

Where do you think the term hot dog came from.

• Reply 16 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Samsung is obviously lying though.  Other than Microsoft who else would it be but Samsung?  

Microsoft usually owns up to this kind of stuff when they do it.  Ergo: It's Samsung and they are just lying.  

RIM

Someone posted yesterday that advertising on the countdown site links to them, they use white on black in their marketing and they are just desperate enough to throw caution to the winds.

Does anyone know much about fonts?

That could provide an additional clue. 

• Reply 17 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

True. Besides, Microsoft's flash mob would have been throwing shoes, or something esoterically related to footwear or Jerry Seinfeld.

• Reply 18 of 63

I think it was a clever, aggressive marketing/PR play.

I also think the tables could--and perhaps should--be turned around on Android/Google/Samsung.  A bunch of people staring in at you kind of lends itself to the idea of "hey, we're watchiing every move you make and selling off your personal data"...hmmm.  Crayola colored peeping toms anyone?  Creepy clowns?

• Reply 19 of 63

If Ballsille was still on board, I'd say maybe. But RIM's ship is sinking so fast I don't think they'd gain anything from alienating potential customers.

Samsung has a proven track record that it is too stupid to realize that alienating potential customers is simply bad business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

RIM

Someone posted yesterday that advertising on the countdown site links to them, they use white on black in their marketing and they are just desperate enough to throw caution to the winds.

Does anyone know much about fonts?

That could provide an additional clue. 

• Reply 20 of 63
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung did, however, suggest that iPhone users are mindless "sheep" in a teaser video released earlier this week...

Funny how DED knows who the sheep in Samsung's ad were. It takes one to know one, I guess...