Apple releases iOS 5.1.1 with fixes for HDR photos, AirPlay video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

"Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut”

So I’m not crazy! I DID take that picture! No version of it, HDR or otherwise, was later to be found in my photos. Now I know why.

“Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List"

Thank you! Reading List has been awesome but it was SO close and yet so far, if it needed me to manually force a sync (by manually adding/removing something).

• Reply 22 of 101
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

When Apple allows me to enable or disable wi-fi or 3G without ploughing through several layers of menus, then I'll probably stop jailbreaking. 

I've wondered why they didn't give us "Locations" like we have in OS X.  It would be so convenient to have a top level app or pulldown to select a location to configure all these things.  Does seem like a fairly gross omission.

• Reply 23 of 101
    stunod7stunod7 Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Even if you jailbreak, you can't use the phone the way you want. You can't get phone service for free. You can't use any carrier with any phone. You can't install your own OS. I just don't get it.

That's fine if you don't get it, but there will always be people who want to do more with their hardware than the software maker dictates.  I'm one of those people.  If you're fine using a stock phone the way the manufacturer dictates it, fine.  Let me ask you a question though, do you use a different browser than the one that comes stock with your OS or do you utilize something that is a little more flexible or something that suits your needs or wants a little more?

• Reply 24 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunod7 View Post

That's fine if you don't get it, but there will always be people who want to do more with their hardware than the software maker dictates.  I'm one of those people.

And yet you use Apple products when there's a perfectly good world of Android devices out there that let you do this without voiding the warranty.

Quote:

Let me ask you a question though, do you use a different browser than the one that comes stock with your OS or do you utilize something that is a little more flexible or something that suits your needs or wants a little more?

There's no browser that suits my needs or wants more than Safari. Chrome steals your information, Firefox is pathetically slow, and Opera's just not even a player anymore. Never mind that it's the fastest of the modern browsers. What does that have to do with anything? 

• Reply 25 of 101

Quote:

And yet you use Apple products when there's a perfectly good world of Android devices out there that let you do this without voiding the warranty.

There's no browser that suits my needs or wants more than Safari. Chrome steals your information, Firefox is pathetically slow, and Opera's just not even a player anymore. Never mind that it's the fastest of the modern browsers. What does that have to do with anything? 

We're locked in virtual pissing match with no winner.  Android has tons of apps that steal your info and clone other developers apps to make money.  My point of bringing up the browser is that just because a software developer created something doesn't mean it can't be improved.  If the mouse was the perfect method of inputting data into a computer then Wacom tablets wouldn't exist.  I prefer the Apple OS more than Android and don't want to deal with the fragmentation and terrible business support/adoption of Android.  With my fleet of iOS devices I can IPSec or Cisco AnyConnect VPN in to work without having to a) buy a samsung droid or b) root a non-saumsung droid.  Prior to iOS 4 I was jailbreaking so that I could background applications but now that feature is included.  So at what point do you "understand it"?  Once Apple implements it then it's okay to have that feature but to want it prior to Apple putting it in you just don't get why someone would want it?  It's just preferences.  I don't understand how Safari could be the only browser you could use.  Just preferences.  

[edit: i accidentally a word]

• Reply 26 of 101
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

To use ALL apps over cellular, with no size limits in the AppStore, no FaceTime restriction to WiFi, tethering without paying extra for it.  To install whatever apps and tweaks Apple disallows in the AppStore, to have full control of the device I paid for.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Why would you want to jainbreak your phone anymore?

• Reply 27 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member

Quote:

Even if you jailbreak, you can't use the phone the way you want. You can't get phone service for free. You can't use any carrier with any phone. You can't install your own OS. I just don't get it.

I can understand folks wanting to tailor their OS to their unique style, but in the end I'll take consistent UI's over a micro-managing UI anyway.  The reason is simple.  It's the same on all iPhones, so you can pick up any iPhone since day one and know exactly where everything is.  There is an advantage and consistency to that.

Back in the day for us older folks, PC manufactures (Compaq and HP come to mind) in the 90's were doing the exact same thing with tweaking Windows and essentially putting up their own custom UI to do similar things.  The result being that users at companies were complaining that they could not navigate between "regular" stock windows UI and the custom interface that the companies "swore" was a more pleasing experience.  It was a mess.  So Microsoft decided to mandate that companies could not screw around with the Windows interface.  So in essence, you can walk up to any Window's machine and at least know the basics of how to use it.

Of course, jailbreaking opens up more can of worms than its worth, but there will be those naysayers that will scream at the top of their lungs that iOS should be all about them and not what Apple thinks is best.

Seriously, a one-touch WiFi button?  I can understand it.  Really I can.  But the extra tap or two which comprises of an extra second or two is so minimal for me it's a none-event, but I understand... not for certain folks...

• Reply 28 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I can understand folks wanting to tailor their OS to their unique style, but in the end I'll take consistent UI's over a micro-managing UI anyway.  The reason is simple.  It's the same on all iPhones, so you can pick up any iPhone since day one and know exactly where everything is.  There is an advantage and consistency to that.

Back in the day for us older folks, PC manufactures (Compaq and HP come to mind) in the 90's were doing the exact same thing with tweaking Windows and essentially putting up their own custom UI to do similar things.  The result being that users at companies were complaining that they could not navigate between "regular" stock windows UI and the custom interface that the companies "swore" was a more pleasing experience.  It was a mess.  So Microsoft decided to mandate that companies could not screw around with the Windows interface.  So in essence, you can walk up to any Window's machine and at least know the basics of how to use it.

Of course, jailbreaking opens up more can of worms than its worth, but there will be those naysayers that will scream at the top of their lungs that iOS should be all about them and not what Apple thinks is best.

Seriously, a one-touch WiFi button?  I can understand it.  Really I can.  But the extra tap or two which comprises of an extra second or two is so minimal for me it's a none-event, but I understand... not for certain folks...

Great points.  I can't count the times doing tech-bench work in the 90's when Packard Bell was king and would stock their machine full of garbage.  But...  Even today, Windows 7 ships a specific way.  It is to Microsoft spec.  Then.... You can do whatever the heck you want.  Don't like the way the Start button works?  Get rid of it.  Use a dock instead.  It's not a matter of stock, I don't mind a vanilla-bland out of the box but the want to do more can't be squelched.  

• Reply 29 of 101
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

MyWi, BiteSMS, SBSettings, f.lux, Five Icon Dock.

MyWI is unnecessary for ages, the functionality is built in to iOS now.  BiteSMS is similarly completely unnecessary now we have iMessage (also built in).  SBSettings is for idiots who fiddle with their settings all day (no hope there as no rational argument will convince those that think they need this how dumb it is).  f.lux (automatic screen dimming/brightening), is also a feature that has been built in to the iPhone for many versions. 

The only advantage you're getting here is "FiveIcondock" and that's just ugly.  

You are jail breaking your phone with all the hassles and gotchas that entails just so you can jam an extra icon onto your dock?  

• Reply 30 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post

Quote:

When Apple allows me to enable or disable wi-fi or 3G without ploughing through several layers of menus, then I'll probably stop jailbreaking. Until then, I'll use the jailbreak tool which allow you to put those controls in the notification centre.

There's also countless other tweaks which are only available through jailbreaking. Pictures in contact list, FaceTime on 3G, five-icon dock, etc.

Ploughing? It's hardly that much of a big deal. You click on settings, you go to Wifi, you turn it on/off. 3G is one extra step. For wifi that removes one gesture and for 3G it removes 2. Is it really that difficult that you had to jailbreak?

The real reason most jailbreakers do it is so that they can steal apps from Apple.

• Reply 31 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

The real reason most jailbreakers do it is so that they can steal apps from Apple.

At least they're not spending their time making up fraudulent reviews and posting them.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Yes. It aggravates me that the Apple method is so unintuitive, when Apple is normally a company known for its intuitive software design. It's five minutes' effort to jailbreak, repaid by better ease of use for years down the line.

Why the confrontational attitude to jailbreaking, anyway? It's my device, I paid good money for it; I'll use it how I want, whether it's Apple's wish or not.

This is just lies and nonsense.  And you jail breaker types wonder why everyone ridicules you?  It's because of stuff like this.  

You make it sound like it's a five minute "no problem" thing to jailbreak.  It so totally isn't.  

It's a hassle, you have to know what you're doing, and you have to pay attention to a lot of stuff to maintain it.

Then after this complete misrepresentation, you try to maintain the opposite lie which is that Apple's stuff is "not intuitive" and bad/clunky whatever.  

You can't just call white black and black white and expect anyone to buy that crap.  Try being honest and realistic and then maybe you might win some converts to your way of thinking. 

• Reply 33 of 101
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Ha!

Is appears that MS had decided to bing the "tweaked mess that is a custom UI" in house with Windows 8 Metro... image

• Reply 34 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

tethering without paying extra for it. 

That is theft.

• Reply 35 of 101
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I really hope this fixes the constant crashing of Safari on the iPad.....
  • Reply 36 of 101
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Ha!

Is appears that MS had decided that the "tweaked mess that is a custom UI" needed to be brought in-house with Windows 8 Metro... image

• Reply 37 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

MyWI is unnecessary for ages, the functionality is built in to iOS now.  BiteSMS is similarly completely unnecessary now we have iMessage (also built in).  SBSettings is for idiots who fiddle with their settings all day (no hope there as no rational argument will convince those that think they need this how dumb it is).  f.lux (automatic screen dimming/brightening), is also a feature that has been built in to the iPhone for many versions. 

The only advantage you're getting here is "FiveIcondock" and that's just ugly.  

You are jail breaking your phone with all the hassles and gotchas that entails just so you can jam an extra icon onto your dock?  

• MyWi is totally necessary.  I don't want to pay AT&T an additional fee and lose my unlimited data.  Btw, I'm always under 2 gigs a month, I don't abuse my unilimted data.

• I use BiteSMS for the interface so I can send text messages without having to leave whatever application I'm in and I have unlimited texting anyway so I never used it as an alternative texting service.

• SBS is helpful so that I don't have to leave my app to adjust brightness, disable wireless or make other simple system changes.

• f.lux isn't just dimming, it makes the phone screen easier on the eyes by removing the blue to make the screen more red.  Great for very low light use of my phone.  Even when the phone is as dim as it can be made it's still disturbs my wife.  Enable f.lux and she can't tell I'm even using it.  

• 5 Icon Dock is quite helpful because my corporate eMail comes in through a different mail client, but I still want to have the regular mail client plus the default icons.

Don't think for a second that I enjoy jailbreaking but in order to use my phone the way that fits me best, I jailbreak.  Congratulations on being happy with the stock configuration, that isn't for me.  

• Reply 38 of 101
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

You don't get it because you worship at the temple of Apple and nothing they do is ever remotely wrong, and they don't have a single solitary flaw. You will defend everything they do to your last breath. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that's exactly why you don't get it. There are very good improvements that jailbreaking enable, some of which Apple has outright stolen and many they continue to completely ignore after 5 years of iOS being around. I don't blame Apple for trying to lock the OS down as tight as they can, it only makes sense to make the phone as secure as possible and to milk your customers for everything you can. It makes perfect sense to do that and I'd most likely do that exact same thing were it my phone.

Jailbreaking isn't about using any carrier with any phone, or getting phone service for free. Two things jailbreaking has never claimed to enable. Had you any knowledge about jailbreaking before dismissing it you'd know that. It's about making tweaks and installing apps that Apple doesn't allow. Piracy is an issue and a very unfortunate side affect of jailbreaking, the other benefits to jailbreaking vastly outweigh the piracy issue. Maybe you should learn a little more about jailbreaking before dismissing it.

• Reply 39 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member

Quote:

Great points.  I can't count the times doing tech-bench work in the 90's when Packard Bell was king and would stock their machine full of garbage.  But...  Even today, Windows 7 ships a specific way.  It is to Microsoft spec.  Then.... You can do whatever the heck you want.  Don't like the way the Start button works?  Get rid of it.  Use a dock instead.  It's not a matter of stock, I don't mind a vanilla-bland out of the box but the want to do more can't be squelched.  

Ah yes, Packard Bell... I very much remembered having to diagnose problems on those machines.  So much in fact that I must have suppressed-memories of it.  Too traumatizing to remember.  They had a seriously screwed up way of doing things.

If by changing Windows 7 appearance and functionality, may I presume to guess that you're referring to AD?  It's still under Microsoft's control from a top-level. 

• Reply 40 of 101
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Then after this complete misrepresentation, you try to maintain the opposite lie which is that Apple's stuff is "not intuitive" and bad/clunky whatever.  

You can't just call white black and black white and expect anyone to buy that crap.  Try being honest and realistic and then maybe you might win some converts to your way of thinking. 

You mean like Notification Center? The part in NC where you have to hit a tiny little "x" to clear notifications instead of the swipe to get a delete notification like the rest of the entire OS? You like having to swipe to open the phone, tap your camera icon (and move around the pages if it's not on the front page) and then take a picture? Because jailbroken phones were the first ones to have the camera on the lockscreen. You like having alerts you can access from the lockscreen by swiping across individual apps? Came from jailbreaking, almost copied the jailbroken app exactly as well. Apple has both borrowed heavily from jailbreakers and outright stolen features to improve iOS and every time a major update comes out and everyone loves them for all the awesome features "they got right rather than first." iOS is absolutely amazing, but it has glaring flaws and serious shortcomings that jailbreaking has fixed and in some cases had the fix/improvement for years.