Apple releases iOS 5.1.1 with fixes for HDR photos, AirPlay video

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I notice ZDnet has the usual headline they use for EVERY Apple update:-

"Apple patches serious security holes in iOS devices"

Every time OSX or iOS it's always the same.

Do they run one every week when Microsoft does the same? image

• Reply 62 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do they run one every week when Microsoft does the same? image

Nope.

I think they reserve a form letter for Apple updates that automatically writes the article.

I believe it appeals to their Windows centric audience, who long for Apple to falter and make do with meaningless "I told you so" condolences.

• Reply 63 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    euphonious wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's a tenable position. iOS is a very profitable platform. It's vastly more profitable than all competing mobile platforms, jailbreaking or no jailbreaking.

Can you give me a single concrete example of a decent developer who shied away from developing on iOS because of jailbreaking?

You're also making the mistake of assuming that everybody jailbreaks to steal apps, which isn't true.

It doesn't matter if EVERYBODY jailbreaks to steal apps. Some people do - and some of them are right here in this forum.

The fact that iOS is more profitable than other platforms is not a useful piece of information in this regard. That is an average. Some people earn less, some earn more. If there were no stolen apps, total revenues would probably be higher. It is entirely plausible that some developer who gave up on the platform would have stayed around with a bit more revenue.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It doesn't matter if EVERYBODY jailbreaks to steal apps. Some people do - and some of them are right here in this forum.

The fact that iOS is more profitable than other platforms is not a useful piece of information in this regard. That is an average. Some people earn less, some earn more. If there were no stolen apps, total revenues would probably be higher. It is entirely plausible that some developer who gave up on the platform would have stayed around with a bit more revenue.

But why does that make jailbreaking wrong? It's the stealing of apps which is wrong, not the jailbreaking itself! 

Jailbreaking is a morally neutral act. Saying that jailbreaking is wrong because it allows some people to steal apps is like saying that making knives is wrong, because some people use knives to stab people.

• Reply 65 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

You don't get it because you worship at the temple of Apple and nothing they do is ever remotely wrong, and they don't have a single solitary flaw. You will defend everything they do to your last breath. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that's exactly why you don't get it. There are very good improvements that jailbreaking enable, some of which Apple has outright stolen and many they continue to completely ignore after 5 years of iOS being around. I don't blame Apple for trying to lock the OS down as tight as they can, it only makes sense to make the phone as secure as possible and to milk your customers for everything you can. It makes perfect sense to do that and I'd most likely do that exact same thing were it my phone.

So, if Apple integrates a feature into an OS update that's widely requested, which happens to be available in some form on a jailbroken device, then Apple has 'outright stolen' it and is a thief. If Apple does not implement said features, they 'continue to completely ignore'. So whatever the hell Apple does, these are the only 2 ways you've decided to define their actions. You can always tell when someone is imbalanced, irrational and a troll, when they make such ridiculous assertions. There's thousands and thousands of apps available in cydia, etc. Chances are, whatever improvements Apple makes and whatever features they add, someone, somewhere, will have done something roughly similar, even if they did it an shitty way and implemented it poorly. Yet, in your view there's nothing that Apple can do that can please you. They either obviously stole the feature, or ignore it, two things that are extremely negative. This mentality makes sense to you? And you honestly think Apple's development priorities and procedures involve sifting through cydia, etc, rubbing their hands in an evil way, and choosing what to 'steal', not that whatever features they implement are logical and expected progressions? Unbelievable. 

• Reply 66 of 101
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So, if Apple integrates a feature into an OS update that's widely requested, which happens to be available in some form on a jailbroken device, then Apple has 'outright stolen' it and is a thief. If Apple does not implement said features, they 'continue to completely ignore'. So whatever the hell Apple does, these are the only 2 ways you've decided to define their actions. You can always tell when someone is imbalanced, irrational and a troll, when they make such ridiculous assertions. There's thousands and thousands of apps available in cydia, etc. Chances are, whatever improvements Apple makes and whatever features they add, someone, somewhere, will have done something roughly similar, even if they did it an shitty way and implemented it poorly. Yet, in your view there's nothing that Apple can do that can please you. They either obviously stole the feature, or ignore it, two things that are extremely negative. This mentality makes sense to you? And you honestly think Apple's development priorities and procedures involve sifting through cydia, etc, rubbing their hands in an evil way, and choosing what to 'steal', not that whatever features they implement are logical and expected progressions? Unbelievable. 

Apple could buy the app from the developer and integrate it to the OS vs stealing it from the devs.

• Reply 67 of 101
    denobindenobin Posts: 46member

It may violate your contract but it is decidedly not "theft". You are using data that you paid for, no more no less. You are not stealing anything from the carrier and it does not diminish them in any way. The only thing you do by tethering without a plan is deny the carrier money for providing you absolutely nothing. No moral quandry here whatsoever.

• Reply 68 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    LOL, no, theft is the cellular charges per month and many MB/GB that go unused despite my plan because we are hamstrung by software limitations on what we can do.  

JB sets us free to use our devices and fully utilize the data we are paying for! 

Let's see if I understand your position.

Your carrier tells you the terms of service. You sign up for the service agreeing to the terms. So if the carrier abides by the terms, it's theft? And if you break the terms and take a service that you didn't pay for it's not?

Seems to me that you have it exactly backwards.

euphonious wrote: »
    But why does that make jailbreaking wrong? It's the stealing of apps which is wrong, not the jailbreaking itself! 

Where did I claim that jail breaking itself was wrong?

It seems to me that if you're stealing apps (by way of jail breaking), it's wrong.

If you're using jail breaking to take services that you didn't pay for, it's wrong.

If you jailbreak your phone and then have a problem and then try to get Apple to fix the problem you created, it's wrong.

If you jailbreak your phone and have a security problem but go around blaming Apple, it's wrong.

I don't believe I ever said that jail breaking itself was wrong, though.
  • Reply 69 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't believe I ever said that jail breaking itself was wrong, though.

You're right - you didn't. It was Zither Zather Zuzz who implied that. Should have aimed my post at him - sorry about that.

• Reply 70 of 101
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

When Apple allows me to enable or disable wi-fi or 3G without ploughing through several layers of menus, then I'll probably stop jailbreaking. Until then, I'll use SBSettings, which allows you to put those controls in the notification centre.

There's also countless other tweaks which are only available through jailbreaking. Pictures in contact list, FaceTime on 3G, five-icon dock, etc.

Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Off

That was really hard.

• Reply 71 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Off

That was really hard.

This has already been discussed multiple times in the thread.

Nobody ever said that it was 'hard' - just that there is a much quicker and easier way to do it when jailbroken. It's not 'hard', just unnecessarily long-winded, and the jailbreak app fixes that issue.

• Reply 72 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

It's not 'hard', just unnecessarily long-winded, and the jailbreak app fixes that issue.

If three taps is 'long-winded', then screw this society. I don't want to be a member of it anymore. I remember when people were raised to understand that work begets success and deserves compliment. Everything isn't just to be handed to us out of some misshapen view on rights.

"What does that have to do with this?" you say. "You're being incredibly melodramatic, I think."

Take into account the mindset behind this view, and you'll see the complaints are merely an extension of it. The silver platter needs to be swiftly taken away.

• Reply 73 of 101
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Ah yes, Packard Bell... I very much remembered having to diagnose problems on those machines.  So much in fact that I must have suppressed-memories of it.  Too traumatizing to remember.  They had a seriously screwed up way of doing things.

If by changing Windows 7 appearance and functionality, may I presume to guess that you're referring to AD?  It's still under Microsoft's control from a top-level. 

Quote:

Yes, I certainly have a history of that. That's obviously true. I can't possibly counter this argument.

I've been jailbreaking since before it was given that name, son. Best be joking about your entire post.

Do you think you'll be welcomed into any conversation at this point? image

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

You don't get it because you worship at the temple of Apple and nothing they do is ever remotely wrong, and they don't have a single solitary flaw. You will defend everything they do to your last breath. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that's exactly why you don't get it. There are very good improvements that jailbreaking enable, some of which Apple has outright stolen and many they continue to completely ignore after 5 years of iOS being around. I don't blame Apple for trying to lock the OS down as tight as they can, it only makes sense to make the phone as secure as possible and to milk your customers for everything you can. It makes perfect sense to do that and I'd most likely do that exact same thing were it my phone.

Jailbreaking isn't about using any carrier with any phone, or getting phone service for free. Two things jailbreaking has never claimed to enable. Had you any knowledge about jailbreaking before dismissing it you'd know that. It's about making tweaks and installing apps that Apple doesn't allow. Piracy is an issue and a very unfortunate side affect of jailbreaking, the other benefits to jailbreaking vastly outweigh the piracy issue. Maybe you should learn a little more about jailbreaking before dismissing it.

You are absolutely right HKZ, somebody drinks way too much Apple kool aid!    image

• Reply 74 of 101

Quote:

If three taps is 'long-winded', then screw this society. I don't want to be a member of it anymore. I remember when people were raised to understand that work begets success and deserves compliment. Everything isn't just to be handed to us out of some misshapen view on rights.

"What does that have to do with this?" you say. "You're being incredibly melodramatic, I think."

Take into account the mindset behind this view, and you'll see the complaints are merely an extension of it. The silver platter needs to be swiftly taken away.

Let me get this right... your argument against a quicker way of turning off wi-fi is that people just have too strong a sense of entitlement, and the current method is fine because it reflects the fact that people should have to work for things they want? Do you apply that philosophy to all computer programs? Should developers refrain from giving users the straightforward methods of doing things which they ask for, so the users can really feel like they worked to produce that spreadsheet or write that code?

This seems to be overcomplicating the situation enormously. It's very simple. Apple offers a way to switch off wi-fi. There is a jailbreak method which is quicker and more convenient. Therefore, some people prefer to use the quicker way. Which part of that is so hard to accept? Why can't you just look at the situation dispassionately and accept that some people see the jailbreak method as more convenient - rather than finding increasingly creative ways to defend the Apple solution? Apple is perfectly capable of writing software which is inferior to third-party alternatives, you know.

When I made my initial throwaway comment on jailbreaking, I'd never have thought that it would spawn a 75-post discussion. The idea that so many people are fervently opposed to a legal, morally neutral way of using the hardware which I paid for makes no sense to me at all. It is a user's choice - nothing more. The lengths to which some people will go to defend the work of a multinational corporation are truly extraordinary.

• Reply 75 of 101
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

It's funny how many people assume jail-breaking is only related to applications or UI tweaks and pirating. There are many other reasons to JB that have nothing to do with iOS or apps.

I do not want to JB my iP4 but I have to in Japan because the carriers here like Softbank make you sign separate contracts for iDevices. Why the F--- would I pay ¥10,000 for iPhone data + ¥5,000 for iPad data when my iPhone plan is unlimited in the first place? Ridiculous!

On top of that carriers here don't let you mute the camera shutter because there are so many creeps in Japan that the carriers are afraid those creeps will use the cameras unscrupulously (up-skirt photos on elevators etc). When you're taking semi private/candid photos at restaurants and other places where you don't want to be noticed the shutter is quite annoying.

These are limitations set by the carriers and have nothing to do with Apple and/or applications. Thanks to the JB community I can tether my iPad to my iPhone and mute my camera shutter like I should be able to. 

Message to those people. STFU.

• Reply 76 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Piracy is a huge problem in the jailbreak community and here is the evidence to prove it

Jeff Benjamin, May 7, 2012

I’m not trying to pile on after my post about i0n1c, but my friend and iOS developerFilippo Bigarella just posted some stunning evidence as to how bad piracy is within the community.

Bigarella is the mind behind such tweaks as Springtomize 2 and CleverPin, and he’s clearly one of the most talented and dedicated developers in the community. Hence, it’s sad to learn that his hard work is taken for granted by so many people. His latest tweak, Springtomize 2, has an audacious 92% piracy rate!

And you wonder why people like i0n1c point to the piracy problem within the community?

Everyone knows that piracy is an issue, but I’m not sure anyone but the developers knew the extent of the issue. Out of almost 200,000 installs there is a 92% piracy rate. That’s staggering. It’s shocking, and it’s pretty ridiculous.

Granted there aren’t any numbers yet that show how many pirated users converted to legit versions of the tweak, but even if it’s a decent percentage, it’s still just a drop in the bucket when compared to the total piracy rate.

The sad thing is is that this isn’t an isolated case. The developers of other apps and tweaks such as FullScreen for Safari and LockInfo vouch for Bigarella’s statistics.

The ironic thing about all of this is that people are pirating the work of ones who are a big part of the same community. If they have such little regard for folks on the “same side” so to speak, then how much worse are jailbreakers overall when it comes to App Store piracy? I shudder to think of the numbers.

For the record I know loads of people who don’t pirate, and who legitimately pay for their apps and tweaks. I genuinely enjoy being able to customize my device and I gladly pay for every tweak or app that I don’t happen to receive a review copy of. But folks, as a whole, it’s really hard to argue against these numbers. It’s a shame, and for that reason jailbreaking will always have a black eye.

I know this post isn’t going to change anyone’s moral stance on the issue, but I thought that everyone should be aware of these crazy numbers. I’m not judging anyone in particular, as what you decide to do with your device is your decision. That being said, you can’t hate on folks like i0n1c who call out the community for being the way it is.

What do you think?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/07/piracy-huge-problem-jailbreak/

• Reply 77 of 101
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Feels snappier.

(hey, I know this is iOS, but someone had to say it.)

Well I guess we're all just waiting for OS X without the DEBUG code.  DoH!

• Reply 78 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Everyone knows that piracy is an issue, but I’m not sure anyone but the developers knew the extent of the issue. Out of almost 200,000 installs there is a 92% piracy rate. That’s staggering. It’s shocking, and it’s pretty ridiculous.

The sad thing is is that this isn’t an isolated case. The developers of other apps and tweaks such as FullScreen for Safari and LockInfo vouch for Bigarella’s statistics.

This is an outlier though, right? This can't be the norm.

• Reply 79 of 101
    einsteinbqateinsteinbqat Posts: 169member

How does one sync the Reading List? I never managed doing that?

• Reply 80 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Now that I have your attention, it is important to recognize that the iPhone is amazing, magical but the iPhone does not do everything everyone would like the phone to do which is in many ways a good thing.

I would like to see a compromise for the jailbreak community:

• Gatekeeper for iOS

• Location Profiles (using geofencing to apply Settings based upon my location, for example:  Home; Bluetooth Off, Wi-Fi On)

• Siri API for Settings (3G data, 4G data, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Notifications, Wi-Fi, etc. which has the side benefit of improving Siri usage)

• Siri APIs (more capabilities including the functions Siri had originally which were almost all removed)

• Settings in the Notifications Center

• FaceTime on 4G (this would greatly upset telecommunications companies though)

• Select Default Apps (Mail client, Maps/Navigation client, SMS/MMS/IM client, Web Browser)

• AirDrop (share contacts, files, media, notes, reminders, etc.)

Gatekeeper for iOS should default to "Allow applications downloaded from: App Store."

For those who would like to make a feature request, the Apple feedback site for iPhone is http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html