Apple releases iOS 5.1.1 with fixes for HDR photos, AirPlay video

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

How does one sync the Reading List? I never managed doing that?

Automatically with one's iCloud account.

• Reply 82 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

How does one sync the Reading List? I never managed doing that?

Reading List synchronization should be automagical.  I suggest checking your iCloud preferences on both devices.

• Reply 83 of 101
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

If a contract is for unlimited data, yet data usage is artificially limited, you tell me who is cheating who?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see if I understand your position.

Your carrier tells you the terms of service. You sign up for the service agreeing to the terms. So if the carrier abides by the terms, it's theft? And if you break the terms and take a service that you didn't pay for it's not?

Seems to me that you have it exactly backwards.

• Reply 84 of 101
    einsteinbqateinsteinbqat Posts: 169member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Automatically with one's iCloud account.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Reading List synchronization should be automagical.  I suggest checking your iCloud preferences on both devices.

I'll try again. I spent a whole morning trying to do it a few weeks ago, and it didn't work. So I'll try again, and see. *crossing fingers*

• Reply 85 of 101
    flash_beezyflash_beezy Posts: 239member
    To use ALL apps over cellular, with no size limits in the AppStore, no FaceTime restriction to WiFi, tethering without paying extra for it.  To install whatever apps and tweaks Apple disallows in the AppStore, to have full control of the device I paid for.  

None of the above reasons are any good anymore...so try again.

It used to be but not anymore. I use to jailbreak just for the above, but since AT&T has limited me to 3GB before I get throttled on my unlimited plan, I get throttled every month now just by listining to Spotify/slacker radio on my commutes...

So tethering, FaceTime over 3G, no size limits ect is no longer viable.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    stunod7 wrote: »
    MyWi is totally necessary.  I don't want to pay AT&T an additional fee and lose my unlimited data.  Btw, I'm always under 2 gigs a month, I don't abuse my unilimted data.

AT&T can detect MyWi tethering now and automatically upgrades you to a paid tethering account. How do you get away with it?
  • Reply 87 of 101
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

3 pages on jailbreaking? talk about thread hijacking

Does anyone know if ANY of the iTunes Match problems are fixed in this, specifically the missing artwork hell?

• Reply 88 of 101
    stunod7stunod7 Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

AT&T can detect MyWi tethering now and automatically upgrades you to a paid tethering account. How do you get away with it?

I only use it out of extreme necessity.  If I happen to be on the train and Logmein ignition isn't cutting it on my iPhone I'll fire it up.  I use it, at most, twice a month and only for a few minutes.  Typically to enter some router config or something like that.  Very sparse.  

• Reply 89 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love when this tired 'line' is brought up, and is enough evidence that whoever is spouting it is a troll. You do realize that every single damn company allows you to use their product only in so far as they dictate, right? What the hell does that even mean? You're using the product that the company designed, you can say that you prefer A over B, but this 'they should let us use it the way we want' is such meaningless horse-shit. Because Android might have another method of doing something, that doesn't mean that they didn't dictate that method also. Maybe Apple should allow sideloading so that users can use their phones 'the way they want' (ie. pirate all their apps) like with Android, a dismal situation where devs can't make any damn money on anything, bc Android users refuse to pay for anything, and have to resort to ad supported apps only, or not even bother to port their app at all. 

Works out for everyone, doesn't it? 

How is that horse-shit?  Remember when the first iPhone launched bucko?  What apps could you install?  Web apps.  That was it.  Then all the sudden the JB community springs up and full blown, installed applications, become a real possibility.  What did you say back then?  "Why would you need an application.  Apple said all you need are web apps!  STOP USING YOUR DEVICE HOW YOU WANT TO USE IT!  The only thing that is meaningless horse-shit is your face and your inability to not understand a valid points.  Do you use alternative web browsers other than the ones your OS manufacturer provides for you?  You've never picked up a product and said "Gee, I wish I could do [insert something here] with this, but since the manufacture didn't built that in it must be impossible."  no you idiot.  In fact, why bother with any applications at all.  If Apple or Microsoft didn't inherently give you the ability to do something with an OS then it's clearly not possible.  You just sit there and suck on it.  The JB community brought backgrounding to the iPhone before Apple did it.  So lets make sure I'm using your thought process here... it is not okay to want to background your apps before Apple does it but it is okay after Apple does it...  Don't bother trying to do it before Apple does because then it's wrong.  Hillbilly.  I don't use my phone "the way they want" to steal applications and there is zero defense for the people who do that.  They absolutely ruin everything for everyone but you can't stop progress because of pirating, you just have to find a creative way to curtail it.  A lot of devs do this by offering the app for free, almost as a demo, and then you unlock for a fee through the store.  Quit your tired argument and go to the retirement home old man.  Your way of thinking is antiquated and it slows down progress.  

• Reply 90 of 101
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So, if Apple integrates a feature into an OS update that's widely requested, which happens to be available in some form on a jailbroken device, then Apple has 'outright stolen' it and is a thief. If Apple does not implement said features, they 'continue to completely ignore'. So whatever the hell Apple does, these are the only 2 ways you've decided to define their actions. You can always tell when someone is imbalanced, irrational and a troll, when they make such ridiculous assertions. There's thousands and thousands of apps available in cydia, etc. Chances are, whatever improvements Apple makes and whatever features they add, someone, somewhere, will have done something roughly similar, even if they did it an shitty way and implemented it poorly. Yet, in your view there's nothing that Apple can do that can please you. They either obviously stole the feature, or ignore it, two things that are extremely negative. This mentality makes sense to you? And you honestly think Apple's development priorities and procedures involve sifting through cydia, etc, rubbing their hands in an evil way, and choosing what to 'steal', not that whatever features they implement are logical and expected progressions? Unbelievable. 

So they can't throw someone a bone? They hired comex after he wiped the floor with their security for years. They can't tell taptaptap that they didn't want App devs to implement ideas like using the camera button as a shutter and give them a shoutout at the keynote? It's better for them to have Forstall smile like a sneaky little shit on stage when they announce the "great new feature we've come up with"? I'm not saying that Apple won't add features that exist elsewhere, that's not new in the world of tech. BUT, nothing that's come into iOS in the last two years has been original or innovative. Every "new" feature has either existed for a very long time and Apple continued to ignore the problem, or they directly and shamelessly copied it from one of their own devs or jailbreakers. Why can't they get off their lazy asses and add features in a timely manner. So far only really good additions come at WWDC and that's it. Even then most of the new features are really really late to the table and almost all are direct copies of existing features in apps, jailbreak tweaks or taken from competing platforms. That's not logical and expected progression, it's laziness. Unbelievable that you could gloss over those facts so readily and call me a troll, imbalanced and irrational. I see you as being everything listed except troll. I guess that one is exclusive to me because I call Apple on their bullshit and most here don't.

I love Apple, a ton, but iOS is stagnant and instead of innovating they are copying. Apple is better than that and I want them to be better. Releasing a few bug fixes every and leaving major feature updates to an announcment and not having those upgrades available immediately (not a three month wait like iOS5) is getting old.

• Reply 91 of 101
    success wrote: »
    On top of that carriers here don't let you mute the camera shutter because there are so many creeps in Japan that the carriers are afraid those creeps will use the cameras unscrupulously (up-skirt photos on elevators etc).

I can't believe I've actually seen this posted anywhere on the internet. I always assumed there was some sort of polite world pact to ignore and never talk of perverts in Japan. I saw so many brazen acts when I was in Japan I was floored and embarrassed.
  • Reply 92 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

tethering without paying extra for it. 

Recently, I gave up unlimited data on my iPhone because I needed tethering (don't freak, I was only using about 300MB a month anyway -- I have unlimited on my iPad and my data usage on the iPhone went down to next to nothing once I got the iPad). Yes, it cost me $20/month more than I was paying before. But that extra $20 also got me 5 GB/mo (the normal $30 plan on gets you 2GB, IIRC).  So technically, I'm paying for the extra bandwidth, not the tethering. I probably won't use 5 GB/month tethering, at least not until an LTE iPhone comes along, but I still think that $50/mo for 5GB+tethering isn't that bad of a deal.

• Reply 93 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you jailbreak your phone and have a security problem but go around blaming Apple, it's wrong.

Not an attack on you or your post, but I really wish more sites would point out the fact that jailbroken phones are more secure than non-jailbroken phones are. Have been from the beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Granted there aren’t any numbers yet that show how many pirated users converted to legit versions of the tweak, but even if it’s a decent percentage, it’s still just a drop in the bucket when compared to the total piracy rate.

So the article isn't finished. I myself did this once and only once. I used Installous to try out Osfoora. I wasn't going to lay down $3 for an app without getting a chance to use it first, so I tried it out. Used it for 30 minutes or so then deleted the app, deleted Installous and spent the $3 in the App Store. This article has numbers that are incomplete. I myself would have shown up as a pirate, but I went back and bought the app. You cannot claim a 92% piracy rate if you know nothing of the number of people who did buy the app later. The large part of the "piracy" problem in this article is that jailbreakers have the freedom to try an app, any app, before buying it. I'd bet some of those number were downloads to try it out and then it was never used again. They weren't "lost" sales necessarily. I'd bet significant portion of Apple App Store profits are from people having to buy and app they think they like, having no choice but to put down the money or walk away, and then found out it was crap and immediately deleted the app. I've spent money on apps that were utter garbage once you got some time using them and it was a total waste. I'm sure Apple has made millions and millions on that exact scenario. Cry me a river about piracy and the ramen eating devs, legit customers get screwed too and worse.

How many of you here would try apps before you bought them if given the option? Who would spend $5 blind on an app you see if you could try it for 24 hours before committing to buy it? THIS is the problem in the App Store, not jailbreak piracy. One of the very very few things Android got right.

• Reply 94 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Not an attack on you or your post, but I really wish more sites would point out the fact that jailbroken phones are more secure than non-jailbroken phones are. Have been from the beginning.

Abject nonsense.

• Reply 95 of 101

Quote:

Abject nonsense.

Agreed.  How many people who jailbreak actually change their root password?  My guess it's a very small percentage.  

• Reply 96 of 101
    chiachia Posts: 714member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I would like to see a compromise for the jailbreak community:

• Gatekeeper for iOS

Let me get this straight, you want Apple to use their software resources putting functionality back into your iPhone,

after you have messed with their work by jailbreaking the iPhone!!!

Gatekeeper for iOS is unnecessary if you don't jailbreak your phone, unless you're suggesting the App Store is going to start spreading malware.

• Reply 97 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Gatekeeper for iOS is unnecessary if you don't jailbreak your phone, unless you're suggesting the App Store is going to start spreading malware.

You're missing his point, but I agree with you completely.

• Reply 98 of 101

Quote:

Abject nonsense.

How so? Since the days of 1.0 jailbreaking has not only exploited the holes, but immediately closed them after doing so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunod7 View Post

Agreed.  How many people who jailbreak actually change their root password?  My guess it's a very small percentage.  

Jailbroken phones cannot be accessed remotely unless OpenSSH is installed and it isn't unless you actively choose to install it. Having OpenSSH is the only way to get into a jailbroken phone with the root password (besides physical access and everything is up for grabs there anyway). Don't have it installed, don't have a security breach. It's no less secure than any PC on the market unless you make it less secure.

• Reply 99 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Jailbroken phones cannot be accessed remotely unless OpenSSH is installed and it isn't unless you actively choose to install it. Having OpenSSH is the only way to get into a jailbroken phone with the root password (besides physical access and everything is up for grabs there anyway). Don't have it installed, don't have a security breach. It's no less secure than any PC on the market unless you make it less secure.

I guess you're right.  In the early JB days I seem to recall OpenSSH being installed as part of the JB but now it is more of an option. 

• Reply 100 of 101
    Ever since I updated my iPhone 4 to 5.1.1 my TomTom app has no GPS but google maps works fine...... Any one know what to do.