Apple releases iOS 5.1.1 with fixes for HDR photos, AirPlay video

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    encinoencino Posts: 4member

FYI jailbreakers, MuscleNerd just sent out a warning via Twitter, telling jailbreakers with an iPad 2, a new iPad or an iPhone 4S to stay away from the update. As most of you know, pod2g is making great progress with the iOS 5.1 jailbreak, and upgrading to 5.1.1 could ruin your chances of using it.

Personally I jailbreak to customize my iPhone, tether for free (screw you AT&T), and install apps and games for free.  I'm not going to lie, but that's what I do.  If you guys want to spend your money on apps that's fine with me, but I'll get mine for free.  And I don't care if it is considered stealing and how the devs worked really hard on the apps, but I'll just let other people support them and get the same benefits from the apps and games.

• Reply 42 of 101
    stunod7stunod7 Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Ah yes, Packard Bell... I very much remembered having to diagnose problems on those machines.  So much in fact that I must have suppressed-memories of it.  Too traumatizing to remember.  They had a seriously screwed up way of doing things.

If by changing Windows 7 appearance and functionality, may I presume to guess that you're referring to AD?  It's still under Microsoft's control from a top-level. 

And that's all I'm talking about doing with my iPhone.  Changing the appearance and functionality.    Apple still controls the OS from a top level, the apps I use just do things with the device that Apple frowns upon.  

• Reply 43 of 101
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Have you ever given it a thought why these apps aren't in the AppStore? Maybe there's something wrong with them?..

Have you used them? No? Didn't think so.

I really wish this update would fix that stupid "x" in the app sections in Notification Center. Completely screwed up system and completely unlike the rest of the entire OS. Nowhere else is that "x" used and having apps swipe to reply on the lockscreen and not swipe to delete in NC is completely weird. Not to mention that it's pretty difficult sometimes to hit it correctly and get it hit twice to clear notifications. Maybe it iOS 6. :/

• Reply 44 of 101
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by encino View Post

FYI jailbreakers, MuscleNerd just sent out a warning via Twitter, telling jailbreakers with an iPad 2, a new iPad or an iPhone 4S to stay away from the update. As most of you know, pod2g is making great progress with the iOS 5.1 jailbreak, and upgrading to 5.1.1 could ruin your chances of using it.

Personally I jailbreak to customize my iPhone, tether for free (screw you AT&T), and install apps and games for free.  I'm not going to lie, but that's what I do.  If you guys want to spend your money on apps that's fine with me, but I'll get mine for free.  And I don't care if it is considered stealing and how the devs worked really hard on the apps, but I'll just let other people support them and get the same benefits from the apps and games.

You're completely free to do all that, but please stop. I agree with trying apps out, not near enough have a trial app to see if the app even works, but if you like the apps please pay for them. Jailbreaking isn't just about you getting free apps, it's about the rest of us enjoying very useful changes to make iOS better. I'm not going to call you a thief, you're free to do what you want, but you getting apps for free doesn't just affect those devs; it affects all jailbreakers.

• Reply 45 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

You don't get it because you worship at the temple of Apple and nothing they do is ever remotely wrong, and they don't have a single solitary flaw. You will defend everything they do to your last breath.

Yes, I certainly have a history of that. That's obviously true. I can't possibly counter this argument.

I've been jailbreaking since before it was given that name, son. Best be joking about your entire post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by encino View Post

…install apps and games for free.  I'm not going to lie, but that's what I do.  If you guys want to spend your money on apps that's fine with me, but I'll get mine for free.  And I don't care if it is considered stealing and how the devs worked really hard on the apps, but I'll just let other people support them and get the same benefits from the apps and games.

Do you think you'll be welcomed into any conversation at this point? image

• Reply 46 of 101
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And you jail breaker types wonder why everyone ridicules you?  It's because of stuff like this.  

OK, you're gonna have to help me here. Who precisely ridicules 'jailbreaker types'? I'm keen to know, because this is the first time I've ever been ridiculed for being a 'jailbreaker type'. Why would you ridicule someone because they modified the software on a mobile phone? I just don't get it. 

If I believed the world was flat, then that would be worthy of ridicule. But... jailbreaking a phone?! I promise you that 99.9% of the population doesn't give a damn whether you've jailbroken your phone or not. If you seriously believe that jailbreaking is an issue which attracts mass 'ridicule', then you urgently need to step outside the circles you move in and countenance opinions other than your own.

I'm not sure how else to respond. I find that comment absurd on an enormous, risible scale. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's a hassle, you have to know what you're doing, and you have to pay attention to a lot of stuff to maintain it.

I assure you that you have to do nothing to maintain a jailbreak, other than ensure that you don't install any iOS updates. I get the strong impression that you have never jailbroken anything, and are talking about something which you don't understand particularly well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Then after this complete misrepresentation, you try to maintain the opposite lie which is that Apple's stuff is "not intuitive" and bad/clunky whatever.  

Did you even read my post? I directly stated in my post that Apple is known for producing intuitive software. I suggested that one feature is not intuitive, and that this is at odds with Apple software as a whole. Why are you defending Apple against accusations I'm not even making?

I find your post as a whole somewhat concerning. How on earth can somebody get so riled over such an inoffensive issue as jailbreaking an iPhone? I can almost feel your anger. It's a phone, for goodness' sake! You're acting like I insulted your girlfriend or something.

• Reply 47 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunod7 View Post

And that's all I'm talking about doing with my iPhone.  Changing the appearance and functionality.    Apple still controls the OS from a top level, the apps I use just do things with the device that Apple frowns upon.  

I think the problem that jailbreaking was exasperated by the media and fandroid community.  Whenever there was a blitz about certain compromises on an iPhone, everyone jumped on it as Apple's fault.  Of course, no one failed to mention the little fine-print at the bottom that the security breach was on a jailbroken iPhone.

I'm personally not a fan of jailbreaking.  Of my friends that have done that to theirs, I used it and quickly get frustrated at it.  They modify it so much that it does away with the ease-of-use of Apple's implementation.  Sure, it's customized to how they want to use it, but then no one else can really use it.  May as well be an Android phone.  However, that was a couple years ago.  I haven't come across one iPhone that has been jailbroken.  Most (not all) of the deficiencies have been addressed that they don't feel the need to do it, plus Apple doesn't necessarily help when the next iOS update disables that function.  Too many headaches.

I'm an administrator of a big Windows AD network and of course, I tailor the machines to do only what is necessary including removing certain abilities and the "start" button.  However, it still has the look-and-feel in general of Windows and new hires can still sit down in front of one and know how and where the necessary functions are.  That's my point of Microsoft making the UI consistent.  No more "skins".

• Reply 48 of 101
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

We're locked in virtual pissing match with no winner.  Android has tons of apps that steal your info and clone other developers apps to make money.  My point of bringing up the browser is that just because a software developer created something doesn't mean it can't be improved.  If the mouse was the perfect method of inputting data into a computer then Wacom tablets wouldn't exist.  I prefer the Apple OS more than Android and don't want to deal with the fragmentation and terrible business support/adoption of Android.  With my fleet of iOS devices I can IPSec or Cisco AnyConnect VPN in to work without having to a) buy a samsung droid or b) root a non-saumsung droid.  Prior to iOS 4 I was jailbreaking so that I could background applications but now that feature is included.  So at what point do you "understand it"?  Once Apple implements it then it's okay to have that feature but to want it prior to Apple putting it in you just don't get why someone would want it?  It's just preferences.  I don't understand how Safari could be the only browser you could use.  Just preferences.  

[edit: i accidentally a word]

BTW it isn't just the android apps which spy, it's android itself which is spyware. After all why else would spying Google even develop and give away android.

As for other IOS Web browsers, I've tried several.   IMO non equal Safari in function, but I very occasionally use a few others when I want to keep Safari's Web position.

I could jailbreak if I wanted to and I appreciate some needing to, but I've had no significant need to.  I'm not going to put in the effort for something like one more dock app, when I usually have 8+ apps active.

• Reply 49 of 101
    stunod7stunod7 Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

BTW it isn't just the android apps which spy, it's android itself which is spyware. After all why else would spying Google even develop and give away android.

As for other IOS Web browsers, I've tried several.   IMO non equal Safari in function, but I very occasionally use a few others when I want to keep Safari's Web position.

I could jailbreak if I wanted to and I appreciate some needing to, but I've had no significant need to.  I'm not going to put in the effort for something like one more dock app, when I usually have 8+ apps active.

Fair enough.  It works for me, doesn't work for you.  Plus I just enjoy doing it.  I'm a tinkerer.  I tinker.  

• Reply 50 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Of my friends that have done that to theirs, I used it and quickly get frustrated at it.  They modify it so much that it does away with the ease-of-use of Apple's implementation.  

I largely agree. The problem is that most jailbreak software makes little effort to conform with Apple's UI standards and doesn't come close to the ease-of-use of Apple's UI. That's why I only use jailbreak tools which fit in with the base OS reasonably well.

• Reply 51 of 101
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Grrr...

For those wondering, this doesn't appear to fix the intermittently fluctuating wifi issue for the small number of new iPad users affected by it.

Damn.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I had to jailbreak my old iPhone 4 because the phone thought it was in silent mode regardless of positioning of the left switch.  It wasn't because of a headphone in/out issue.  It wasn't dirt.  I restored it to original settings.  I plugged in headphones 100 times.  I took the phone completely apart and cleaned it and all connectors.  It just flat out thought it was in silent mode- No restore (software) or hardware (cleaning) problem I could diagnose.

Enter jail breaking, SBSettings, and then I can turn it to silent mode or off without flipping the switch.  Now I don't have a silent iPhone.  I don't jailbreak my current phone, but thanks to the community for providing services like that.

• Reply 53 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

What does it matter?  Maybe he doesn't have fingers and yes it is that difficult.  What matters is Apple should allow people to use their phones the way they want and not the way Apple dictates.  Until they allow that to happen, I'll be a happy jailbreaker.  

I love when this tired 'line' is brought up, and is enough evidence that whoever is spouting it is a troll. You do realize that every single damn company allows you to use their product only in so far as they dictate, right? What the hell does that even mean? You're using the product that the company designed, you can say that you prefer A over B, but this 'they should let us use it the way we want' is such meaningless horse-shit. Because Android might have another method of doing something, that doesn't mean that they didn't dictate that method also. Maybe Apple should allow sideloading so that users can use their phones 'the way they want' (ie. pirate all their apps) like with Android, a dismal situation where devs can't make any damn money on anything, bc Android users refuse to pay for anything, and have to resort to ad supported apps only, or not even bother to port their app at all. 

piper-jaffray.png

Works out for everyone, doesn't it? 

• Reply 54 of 101
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Is the update safe? Any issues? Broken apps, lost data etc?

Anyone in this thread on topic who has updated yet?

• Reply 55 of 101
    palegolas wrote: »
    Is the update safe? Any issues? Broken apps, lost data etc?
    Anyone in this thread on topic who has updated yet?

Updated both my iPhone 4S and my new iPad. All is fine.
  • Reply 56 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love when this tired 'line' is brought us, and is enough evidence that whoever is spouting it is a troll.

I wouldn't exactly say that it's 'trolling'. It's expressing an opinion. Some people prefer more openness. Some people prefer less.

It's not 'trolling' where somebody expresses an opinion which contradicts yours.

• Reply 57 of 101
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

LOL, no, theft is the cellular charges per month and many MB/GB that go unused despite my plan because we are hamstrung by software limitations on what we can do.  

JB sets us free to use our devices and fully utilize the data we are paying for! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That is theft.

• Reply 58 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

How on earth can somebody get so riled over such an inoffensive issue as jailbreaking an iPhone?

Jailbreakers ruin  it for the entire iOS community.  There are devs who would otherwise make great software, but because they don't want to lose money, they don't.  Jailbreakers cause this.

• Reply 59 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Jailbreakers ruin  it for the entire iOS community.  There are devs who would otherwise make great software, but because they don't want to lose money, they don't.  Jailbreakers cause this.

I'm not sure about that. iOS is a very profitable platform. It's vastly more profitable than all competing mobile platforms, jailbreaking or no jailbreaking. If you're a mobile developer, ignoring iOS software is like signing your own death warrant.

Can you give me a single concrete example of a decent developer who shied away from developing on iOS because of jailbreaking?

You're also making the mistake of assuming that everybody jailbreaks to steal apps, which isn't true. (And while we're at it, what about the developers who are making money from jailbreak apps, which they otherwise wouldn't be able to sell?)

• Reply 60 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I notice ZDnet has the usual headline they use for EVERY Apple update:-

"Apple patches serious security holes in iOS devices"

Every time, OSX or iOS, it's always the same.