Microsoft looks to woo iCloud users with SkyDrive comparison webpage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

That is one no budget video.

Lousy video.  Great Cloud service.  Take your pick as to which is more important.

• Reply 22 of 85
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Why would I want to do business with Microsoft when the very reason why I bought an Apple product is to NOT have to buy a Microsoft product?   We aren't stoopid Microsoft.  It's just Microsoft's way to sucker us into Microsoft because it gives them an ability to make some money because that's about the only way they might be able to.  I am actually starting to feel sorry for them...................  NOT!

• Reply 23 of 85
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's just Microsoft's way to sucker us into Microsoft because it gives them an ability to make some money 

So what you're saying is - a business is trying to persuade you to use its product so that the company makes money.

It's not exactly an outrageous proposition, is it?

• Reply 24 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

That page requires Microsoft's Silverlight. It already failed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW View Post

Try the following on an iPad:

Now scroll back to the too of that page and note that you cannot watch the video on your iPad! What the heck?!

The mp4 itself is completely hosed as well as the page requiring Silverlight. Also they are using some proprietary attributes within the video tag.

[code] ms.exid="html5player" ms.cid="841167" ms.cver="10" hasclicktoplay="1"[/code]

The mp4 will play in Quicktime 7 but cannot be saved, exported or imported into FCP or iMovie and gives an error of 'incorrect timing detected'.

You'd think as much as they are targeting iOS users they would make it compatible with conditional code for Mobile Safari.

• Reply 25 of 85
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

The only thing SkyDrive can do on iOS is give you access to your stored files and upload photos. So I'm a tad confused as to what Microsoft is trying to entice iOS users towards. And because iCloud isn't on other platforms, the only reason iCloud isn't enough is because those users don't have access to it.

I'm sure that one could argue that SkyDrive competes just a little bit with iCloud on OSX, but Microsoft's focus seems to be on both OSX and iOS devices.

So what is Microsoft trying to accomplish? It competes with iCloud in almost no way on almost no platforms. Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.

The online Office apps are the only reason you need. There fantastic, good enough to use as your main word processor. Plus the upload and download speeds are much faster not to mention you can upload larger files with the free service then you can with Dropbox. Skydrive is actually a pretty fantastic service and there is no reason to at least try it out. It's free by the way. Just try the Office apps and you'll see. I was using  Apple Pages but since I got Skydrive I haven't touched it.

• Reply 26 of 85
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Why would I want to do business with Microsoft when the very reason why I bought an Apple product is to NOT have to buy a Microsoft product?   We aren't stoopid Microsoft.  It's just Microsoft's way to sucker us into Microsoft because it gives them an ability to make some money because that's about the only way they might be able to.  I am actually starting to feel sorry for them...................  NOT!

not everyone brought an apple product because they hate microsoft. 

• Reply 27 of 85

Quote:

the very reason why I bought an Apple product is to NOT have to buy a Microsoft product? 

Wow.  That's one ringing endorsement of Apple.  Not.

I've heard many, many reasons to buy apple products.  But never that one.

• Reply 28 of 85
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member

I was using OneNote on SkyDrive instead of Evernote.  One night I was using it and had written a LOT of carefully formatted notes.  I kept referring back to what I had written throughout the evening and the notes were definitely "there".

The next morning I went back to read and update those notes further and they were gone.  They just vanished.  A whole evening of work was lost.

So I switched to Evernote and never looked back.

If I could only find a Mac-based equivalent for MS Visual Studio so I could update some .Net websites I look after then I could completely eliminate Microsoft from my life (except of course those .Net websites).

• Reply 29 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

The next morning I went back to read and update those notes further and they were gone.  They just vanished.  A whole evening of work was lost.

This sounds like what IT guys are told every day.  I didn't do anything!  It all just vanished!

I know IT guys who wish that they had a nickel for every time they have heard exactly that.  

• Reply 30 of 85
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    cameronj wrote: »
    Why did AI update their forum software to work even worse than before on iPhones? I wouldn't have thought that was even possible!

Agreed. This is a real POS! Who the hell approved this crap!
  • Reply 31 of 85
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why did AI update their forum software to work even worse than before on iPhones? I wouldn't have thought that was even possible!

It's great! They hired a consultant from Microsoft to do the update for them.

• Reply 32 of 85
    relic wrote: »
    Yea I don't know either I've had a Skydrive account since it's introduction and use it daily with Safari so I don't know what he's talking about. Even the online web apps like MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint work great. Which by the way is the main reason why everyone should have a Skydrive account, forget the storage everyone has that but no one does an online word processor like Microsoft.

No thanks! Don't want their crap.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Wow.  That's one ringing endorsement of Apple.  Not.

I've heard many, many reasons to buy apple products.  But never that one.

Well, I guess ZZZ has been asleep since the mid eighties (or unborn?)

• Reply 34 of 85
    relic wrote: »
    The online Office apps are the only reason you need. There fantastic, good enough to use as your main word processor. Plus the upload and download speeds are much faster not to mention you can upload larger files with the free service then you can with Dropbox. Skydrive is actually a pretty fantastic service and there is no reason to at least try it out. It's free by the way. Just try the Office apps and you'll see. I was using  Apple Pages but since I got Skydrive I haven't touched it.

There is NO LIMIT to file size in Dropbox! You can also upload any file size through their app. The only limit is 300 MB for a file uploaded through the web interface which is pretty unimportant since their is no restriction through the free app. There is plenty of reason to not use it! We don't need it!
  • Reply 35 of 85
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Well, I guess ZZZ has been asleep since the mid eighties (or unborn?)

to be fair, to purchase XX because its competitor sucks is not a particularly useful commentary.  Purchasing XX because its the best product for the job you would like, is.

• Reply 36 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

to be fair, to purchase XX because its competitor sucks is not a particularly useful commentary.  Purchasing XX because its the best product for the job you would like, is.

So you've never tried a product, found it unsatisfactory, then tried a competitors and found that it was exactly what you were looking for?

• Reply 37 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    euphonious wrote: »
    You can use an ampersand in a Windows file name - but Dropbox wouldn't let me sync a file between Windows and Mac with an ampersand in it, either. 

You can't use a colon at all. The following characters are not allowed in a Windows file name: \ / : * ? " < > |

I don't know why, but when I tried to transfer files with an ampersand, SkyDrive rejected them. Perhaps they also had a backslash - I'm not 100% sure it was the ampersand that caused the rejection.

In any event, if MS wants to offer this as cross platform, it should accept the file names that people use. The backslash is a perfectly legal character on Macs and is the standard convention for dates in the U.S. (and acceptable in much of the rest of the world). A common way to identify files is to have the date in the name. Dropbox has no problem with the backslash and, of course, iDisk is OK with it. It's rather silly to have a "cross-platform" tool that forces you to rename your files.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    kingsmusekingsmuse Posts: 33member

Skydrive may not be a worthy replacement for Dropbox but this comparison page does point out that Apple is stubbornly sticking to it`s hatred of a file system.

iCloud vs. Dropbox/Skydrive isn`t even a proper competition, they actually are more complimentary to each other.

They were actually heading in a better direction with iDisk if only it worked.

• Reply 39 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    euphonious wrote: »
    I don't really get why MS is targeting iCloud. Skydrive and iCloud don't really seem to be competitors. iCloud makes sense for people who have invested in the Apple ecosystem. If you have, then Skydrive won't be as useful for you; if you haven't, then you're probably not using iCloud anyway.
    If you look at the "computers" people use a great deal of Windows users also use iOS-based devices. MS looks to be using this to keep more people tied to the Windows ecosystem which seems to be slowly shrinking due to the iPad's success.

mstone wrote: »
    The mp4 itself is completely hosed as well as the page requiring Silverlight. Also they are using some proprietary attributes within the video tag.
    ms.exid="html5player" ms.cid="841167" ms.cver="10" hasclicktoplay="1"

The mp4 will play in Quicktime 7 but cannot be saved, exported or imported into FCP or iMovie and gives an error of 'incorrect timing detected'.

You'd think as much as they are targeting iOS users they would make it compatible with conditional code for Mobile Safari.
    It played for me as a native MP4 in Safari 5.2 (8536.8.5) in ML Preview 3.1. Nothing on iPad or iPhone. Odd for a company that's trying to sell their iOS-compatible SkyDrive.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

Skydrive is as exciting as watching Steve Ballmer comb his head.