Microsoft looks to woo iCloud users with SkyDrive comparison webpage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    mgleet wrote: »
    Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.

I don't get it.

SkyDrive has clients for iPhone and iPad. Google Drive doesn't.

SkyDrive has 7GB or 25GB free storage. Google Drive has 5GB.

Storage upgrades for SkyDrive are more flexible and cheaper than Google Drive.

Both have an API's built on open standards.

Both allow documents to be uploaded, edited, shared and collaborated on.

Why should the focus be on Google Drive?
  • Reply 62 of 85
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    knightlie wrote: »
    (The recently scrapped) Windows Live.

Please tell me you don't actually believe that?
  • Reply 63 of 85
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member

ZZZ's response to me sounds like what a lazy IT guy would say who just wants to clear his queue of tickets so he can slack off with his buddies in the middle of the work day.  Who cares if problems are allowed to persist right?

• Reply 64 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't get it.
    SkyDrive has clients for iPhone and iPad. Google Drive doesn't.
    SkyDrive has 7GB or 25GB free storage. Google Drive has 5GB.
    Storage upgrades for SkyDrive are more flexible and cheaper than Google Drive.
    Both have an API's built on open standards.
    Both allow documents to be uploaded, edited, shared and collaborated on.
    Why should the focus be on Google Drive?

I think Google Drive is a fine option. I like that it offers a unification that even surpasses Apple. Meaning, when you sign up for Google Drive using an account that you for Gmail and/or Gogole Docs all your file attachments and documents are already in your Google Drive. I can see a counter argument to that but I think that's pretty slick.

That said, I think SkyDrive is a better all around option than Google Drive.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

Nice try.  Not compelling enough to want to switch, plus I just don't trust M$.  Apple could learn a thing or two about some features iCloud lacks though.

• Reply 66 of 85
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

Could Microsoft's hold on corporate client too strong even for Apple?

• Reply 67 of 85
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Why would I want to do business with Microsoft when the very reason why I bought an Apple product is to NOT have to buy a Microsoft product?   We aren't stoopid Microsoft.  It's just Microsoft's way to sucker us into Microsoft because it gives them an ability to make some money because that's about the only way they might be able to.  I am actually starting to feel sorry for them...................  NOT!

Wait, what? I though every people who still hung up on the war against Microsoft are died of old age already. Why are you not dead? Can't be.

• Reply 68 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Could Microsoft's hold on corporate client too strong even for Apple?

No, but since Apple really doesn't care, Microsoft gets to keep them for the time being.

• Reply 69 of 85
    shaoshao Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, you can't type an ampersand in Windows? Ha! What happens if you view an HFS+… ah, I'll just check it myself. 

Can you type colons in Windows file names?

yes, you can have & in windows file names. 

NTFS aside, a lot of other file systems have file name / path name restrictions that HFS+ doesn't. Out of interest, do a search on your local drive, how many files have you created that have : in them? If you like we'll come back in a couple of months and argue about HFS+ vs ReFS.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems and see who's laughing then, or rather, to argue over such things is childish, achieves nothing, and ultimately steers clear of the actual debate here. iCloud vs SkyDrive.

I can only suspect you're picking faults with the lack of support for your colon, because iCloud is a far worse product, that until recently was running on a competitors cloud platform, and offers less functionality. Not that I expected AI to bring any of these points up when there's a poorly made movie to mock!! xD

• Reply 70 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by shao View Post

If you like we'll come back in a couple of months and argue about HFS+ vs ReFS.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems and see who's laughing then, or rather, to argue over such things is childish, achieves nothing, and ultimately steers clear of the actual debate here. iCloud vs SkyDrive.

I can only suspect you're picking faults with the lack of support for your colon, because iCloud is a far worse product, that until recently was running on a competitors cloud platform, and offers less functionality. Not that I expected AI to bring any of these points up when there's a poorly made movie to mock!! xD

That's not at all what I was talking about, but whatever. image

• Reply 71 of 85

Actually, iCloud can do that too.

iCloud CAN sync your contacts and calendars to a Windows computer, if that computer has Outlook or Outlook Express installed. The native apps don't have the ability to wireless sync, if I'm not mistaken.

iCloud can also manage to sync Photo Stream, Bookmarks/Favorites, and Notes to PCs.

For any of this to happen, one needs the iCloud Control Panel for Windows installed.

See this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Reply 72 of 85

And documents? Piece of cake. The iOS apps can save a version as MS Office formats at any time. If you'd like to send one from your PC to your iGadget, easy. You can drag and drop through the web browser or email the file. Your choice.

As usual, someone at MS decided that the facts weren't important.

• Reply 73 of 85
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

Actually given a choice when trust comes into play I would have to side in this order:

Apple

MS

Dropbox

Google

Apple and MS make it to the top as they are paid services that don't rely on advertising.  I know DB doesn't as well, but 'free' isn't always free, I don't care what they say.  

Google has gone from Don't be evil to Don't appear evil (or AKA settle out of court).  I believe that they have inserted themselves into our lives via search quite enough.  The last thing I need is for them to index my documents for more sponsored AD content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Nice try.  Not compelling enough to want to switch, plus I just don't trust M$.  Apple could learn a thing or two about some features iCloud lacks though.

• Reply 74 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    And documents? Piece of cake. The iOS apps can save a version as MS Office formats at any time. If you'd like to send one from your PC to your iGadget, easy. You can drag and drop through the web browser or email the file. Your choice.

As usual, someone at MS decided that the facts weren't important.

And if you wanted to use iCould for non-Office files? I also can't find an ability to just map iCloud as a virtual folder of any kind. The method I found doesn't work.

The mechanism to move files via the web page doesn't use drag and drop, it's upload and download. Right now, even that's not working for me, I get a notice that I can't download any file in any file format.
  • Reply 75 of 85
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Microwho?

Microsoft is a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company with 92000 employees that completely dominates the Operating System market. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

• Reply 76 of 85
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, but since Apple really doesn't care, Microsoft gets to keep them for the time being.

Lol yeah right, I doubt these figures are just for corporate clients http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

• Reply 77 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Lol yeah right, I doubt these figures are just for corporate clients http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

No, they're for all users, obviously. On the consumer front in the US, Apple makes up almost 15%. On the corporate front, it's, what, 5%?

• Reply 78 of 85
    apfeltoshapfeltosh Posts: 31member

I'm truly amazed when people crap all over someone trying to give Apple competition for their excellent but over-priced products. Seriously, it is online storage so the best $/G is what people should be pushing for, assuming similar/same functionality, and not blindly saying Apple is better at everything at all times. I for one applaud Microsoft, DropBox, SugarSync, and all the other cloud-based storage offerings. If you want to overspend for basic online storage synchronization, just to put an "i in front of cloud storage, then by all means give up your hard-earned money to Cook, who will gladly pad his bank account.

• Reply 79 of 85
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You can already save documents directly to the cloud in some cases. That doesn't solve the problems, though.
    1. Not all apps are supported. I would like to save ALL my documents
    2. I keep my files organized by project. A typical project folder might have dozens of files of all types. Using the iCloud mechanism means that the files will be all over the place and assembling them together (such as to send the project folder to a colleague for review) is a pain.
    I liked iDisk. While there are a number of people complaining about its limitations, it worked well for me. Simple, transparent, and all my files were available all the time in the format I created. Dropbox is similar. iCloud's document storage is completely useless for me.

No one disliked what idisk was supposed to offer, everyone disliked what it was actually offering: bugs on every other file transfer, it worked a tad better with a third party webdav client such as cyberback, but its integration with the finder was simply atrocious. Enter dropbox which works like a charm, never had a single problem with it, it's probably on of the most bug free software/service I have ever used, although they could do better in upgrading their storage and prices. How about offering 1.5 gb to all the free users, and giving us paid subscribers 20gb more each, just a thought. ;)
  • Reply 80 of 85
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

I'm truly amazed when people crap all over someone trying to give Apple competition for their excellent but over-priced products. Seriously, it is online storage so the best $/G is what people should be pushing for, assuming similar/same functionality, and not blindly saying Apple is better at everything at all times. I for one applaud Microsoft, DropBox, SugarSync, and all the other cloud-based storage offerings. If you want to overspend for basic online storage synchronization, just to put an "i in front of cloud storage, then by all means give up your hard-earned money to Cook, who will gladly pad his bank account.

Welcome to AI. Stick around, the last rites of RIM are currently being delivered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays, with the occasional Saturday service in case of a RIM ad or product announcement.