Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    soundvisionsoundvision Posts: 173member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's not Apple's fault that you still live in 1997. Guess what. Ten years from now, people will be streaming even larger amounts of data than they do today. 

Apple isn't going to stop innovating and introducing new features just because a few people live in god forsaken, technologically primitive areas of the world without decent wireless coverage. That's not Apple's problem. It's those people's problem.

If somebody has a real crappy cell plan or very bad coverage, then they should just buy a dumb phone. iPhones aren't for those kind of people. If and when they decide to join to current century, then perhaps they might enjoy some of the benefits that modern devices provide.

Very true. Along with new maps, it would be nice to be able to download certain states, regions or countries maps directly to your phone.

I was in Thailand this past winter for 2 months and had a 64GB iPhone 4S. I would have loved to been able to download the whole maps of Bangkok to my phone considering even if you have cellular data turned off, it will still pinpoint you on the map.

I just had to load up the maps on WiFi at the hotel, zoom in and scope around the city to load as much data as possible, then I could go out into the city and use the Maps on my iPhone. Not an ideal situation but it got the job done.

• Reply 42 of 145
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Stuff that "just works" isn't supposed to be an "event".  iCloud is awesome at keeping everything in sync between devices.  Hard to imagine life without it anymore.  I expect the new maps will similarly fade into the background and be something you don't even have to think about.

I totally agree with you.  I never notice iCloud, which is kind of the point.

• Reply 43 of 145
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No, my cellar is quite well stocked thank you and the level in my glass tends to reflect that..

I don't live in the US, neither do the majority of Apple's customers. Pervasive 3G coverage does not exist in many places, yet Apple have a consistent track record of introducing glossy attention catching features that rely on streaming large amounts of data in order to function - face time, Siri, iCloud, and from the sounds of it, this map function.  'No tickee, no washee.'  No data no mapee isn't thinking differently, it is just unintelligent.  It means Apple isn't really interested in offering their customers a 'real' navigation feature, just a superficial facsimile for the easily pleased and easily lead.

Can you substantiate the statement that iCloud and Siri "rely on streaming large amounts of data in order to function?"

"Streaming large amounts of data in order to function" is a necessary requirement of a non-dedicated GPS mapping solution with real-time traffic data and 3D views.  There literally isn't a workaround unless the device commits large amounts of mapping data to memory which has its own issues.  The data issue is the reason 3D views will be an option rather than the standard.

• Reply 44 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How does that make any sense? Not just the fact that it'd be the iPhone 7 (known as "iPhone"), but the fact that Maps is available on all devices. What sense does it make to only have good maps on their newest device and leave everyone else out in the cold with Google Maps?

Ooh… source? That sounds terrible if it's true. 

Here's a source of the "Google to start charging" idea:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15523050

Made most of the media outlets last year.

• Reply 45 of 145

Quote:

No, my cellar is quite well stocked thank you and the level in my glass tends to reflect that..

I don't live in the US, neither do the majority of Apple's customers. Pervasive 3G coverage does not exist in many places, yet Apple have a consistent track record of introducing glossy attention catching features that rely on streaming large amounts of data in order to function - face time, Siri, iCloud, and from the sounds of it, this map function.  'No tickee, no washee.'  No data no mapee isn't thinking differently, it is just unintelligent.  It means Apple isn't really interested in offering their customers a 'real' navigation feature, just a superficial facsimile for the easily pleased and easily lead.

Where do you live?  My iPhone has made it around a lot of Western Europe, a lot of South East Asia, and of course, the US where I do live, and it seems to get 3G coverage pretty much everywhere.

It was terrific in the middle of Kuala Lumpur this January when I was on the hunt for a laundry!

• Reply 46 of 145

Quote:

How does that make any sense? Not just the fact that it'd be the iPhone 7 (known as "iPhone"), but the fact that Maps is available on all devices. What sense does it make to only have good maps on their newest device and leave everyone else out in the cold with Google Maps?

Ooh… source? That sounds terrible if it's true. 

In monstrosity's defense.  What sense does it make to only have Siri on their newest device and leave everyone else out in the cold?

In regards to Google charging for Google Maps.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/google-maps-charge_n_1071836.html

• Reply 47 of 145
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

"Sources describe the new Maps app as a forthcoming tent-pole feature of iOS that will, in the words of one, 'blow your head off,'" Paczkowski wrote.

I've grown accustomed to my head where it is, thankyouverymuch, but I would like maps that are cache-able, if only regionally.

• Reply 48 of 145
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It would be pretty cool if they did something with traffic (opt in, obviously), whereby your iPhone could send them information about where it is and how fast it's going.

Given how many people have iPhones, they could pretty quickly get a real world impression of traffic flow pretty much everywhere.

That's a very good idea!

Last weekend the grandkids went to Santa Cruz with their dad.  The oldest, Marlowe, had just got a new iPhone 4...

I was sitting around doing nothing, so I thought I'd use the Find iPhone app to locate where they were using my iPad.  I was ready to move on to something else, when I noticed that the app was  dynamically updating their location  as they went to the boardwalk...

Hmmm... I didn't know it could do that!

So, I began to play around... I could see when Marlowe got on the roller coaster:

IMG_0055.PNG

I sent a DingDing message from the Find iPhone app:  "How did you like the ride?"

Later, I tracked them as they went "over the mountains and through the woods [sic]" on the way home...

Apologize that the screen shots from the new iPad are too hi resolution for the AI servers -- the original is more than twice as large and beautiful:

IMG_0060.PNG

Still later, I noticed they had stopped for a while in a shopping center... never one to miss an opportunity [to be a smart ass] I DingDinged her:  "Potty Stop?"    She told me later she had just left the restroom at Starbucks.  image

What would be really neat is if you could track multiple devices concurrently -- so my daughter could see where all her kids are!

As soon as the carriers get off the spot and offer shared data plans, we will all have iPhones (used as phones).

I could see where someone could write a social app (if Apple allowed it) where  friends could track other friends on an opt-in basis....

Lots of interesting possibilities!

• Reply 49 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's a very good idea!

Last weekend the grandkids went to Santa Cruz with their dad.  The oldest, Marlowe, had just got a new iPhone 4...

Seeing exactly how bad the 17 is at any given time would be a major bonus!

• Reply 50 of 145
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Looks hot but I'm curious just how much data something like that uses?

• Reply 51 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

In monstrosity's defense.  What sense does it make to only have Siri on their newest device and leave everyone else out in the cold?

The difference here is that Siri requires data to be used. They can't put it on the iPad until all iPads have the ability to use Siri at any time. Its positioning as a feature on…

Look, this is ticking me off just thinking about it. Yes, Siri CAN be used on the iPhone 4. I'd love for Apple to include it in iOS 6 for iPhone 4 users as part of the 'taking it out of beta' stage. It's not going on the iPad, though, for the reason I stated above.

Maps isn't like Siri in this regard only because Maps has always been on the iPad, all iPads, regardless of connectivity. They can't deny iPad and iPhone users their new maps in iOS 6 without unleashing the fury of 250 million iOS users. Nor would they WANT to, given that Apple hates Google so much. It just won't happen.

And, come WWDC, we'll know exactly what EVERYONE is going to get in iOS 6, because they won't talk about a feature at all unless it works on an existing device. Any new features of the next iPhone will be discussed exclusively at the iPhone event in October. I don't foresee many new differentiating software features, as the changes hardware will be large enough on their own to highlight.

• Reply 52 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Seeing exactly how bad the 17 is at any given time would be a major bonus!

Yeah... 17 is always bad... except when it's worse!

I new a guy who lived in Pasa Tiempo and worked at Apple HQ in Cupertino...

For a while, Woz lived in a castle off of Summit road and had Cloud 9 offices up there...

• Reply 53 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... 17 is always bad... except when it's worse!

I new a guy who lived in Pasa Tiempo and worked at Apple HQ in Cupertino...

For a while, Woz lived in a castle off of Summit road and had Cloud 9 offices up there...

A colleague of mine comes over from Santa Cruz to 1st Street in San Jose every day.  I don't know how she puts up with it to be honest.

Boy was she upset when we shifted our office from Los Gatos to here.......!

• Reply 54 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And something NO BODY should leave home without.

It would suck to be half way there, and have your phone shit the bed, and not be able to get the rest of the way:) You'd be surprised how many folks can't read a map:(

Skip

...or refold one image

• Reply 55 of 145
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    PS - note to AppleInsider ... could you at least make the smileys work again?  Your shiny new site is always half broken if you run a secure browser.  It adds nothing the old one didn't already have and takes a bunch of stuff away. 

Get in line..... :-/

The new AI interface is a disaster. I don't bother to post as much I used to, anymore.

Perhaps that's the response they wanted. Who knows.
  • Reply 56 of 145
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

I got news for you buddy.  "Pervasive" 3G coverage doesn't really exist in the US either. 

• Reply 57 of 145

Breadcrumbs ...

October 1, 2009 Apple purchased Google Maps competitor Placebase

"In 2008, Placebase was profiled by GigaOm. At the time, a new product called PolicyMap was revealed. Using the PushPin API, PolicyMap would aggregate data on subjects such as demographics, home sales, crime, mortgage lending, school performance and more. The company reportedly earned millions of dollars in revenue and survived without any venture capital funding, successfully competing with Google's free Maps.

"Waldman thought differently," the report said. "He decided to compete with Google and other free mapping services by doing two things: One, by offering customizations and tons of features that integrated private and public data sets in many diverse ways. (He knew it would be a while before Google would get around to offering customization). His other twist was to offer a way to layer commercial and other data sets (such as demographics and crime data) onto the maps using an easy-to-use application programming interface (API).""

November 29, 2009 AppleInsider reports Evidence of Apple's new iPhone model, Maps application uncovered

"Also revealed this weekend was a new job listing from Apple for a software engineer to work on the iPhone Maps application. The listing seeks a full-time employee to work in Cupertino, Calif., on the software.

"The iPhone has revolutionized the mobile industry and has changed people's lives and we want to continue to do so," the listing reads. "We want to take Maps to the next level, rethink how users use Maps and change the way people find things. We want to do this in a seamless, highly interactive and enjoyable way. We've only just started.""

June 30, 2010 AppleInsider reports that iOS now uses its own Maps location database.

"For devices running iPhone OS versions 1.1.3 to 3.1, Apple relied on (and still relies on) databases maintained by Google and Skyhook Wireless ("Skyhook") to provide location-based services," Sewell wrote. "Beginning with the iPhone OS version 3.2 released in April 2010, Apple relies on its own databases to provide location-based services and for diagnostic purposes."

However, the default Maps application within iOS still reads "Google" in the lower left corner, showing that Apple continues to on the search giant for the maps themselves. In addition, all iOS devices still rely on Google's Street View feature as well."

July 14, 2010 Apple acquires online mapping company Poly9 - report

"Among its products is Poly9 Globe, described as a "cross-browser, cross-platform 3D globe which does not require any download." The interactive software allows users to spin a three-dimensional rendering of the Earth, while providing real-time statistics on the user's virtual location, including altitude.

The total application, which includes high-resolution imagery for U.S. metropolitan areas, is just 303kb. It is now listed as discontinued on the official website, though the interactive demo remains. It can also be seen in action on a number of other websites, including Skype and Surveys.com."

April 27, 2011 AppleInsider reports that Apple say's its building 'crowd-sourced traffic' service for iPhone users

"The revelation came as part of Apple's list of questions and answers related to iOS security and location tracking. The iPhone maker revealed in its answers that it is "collecting anonymous traffic data to build a crowd-sourced traffic database."

The company went on to say that it intends to provide iPhone users with an "improved traffic service in the next couple of years." It offers no more detail on what the service is, or what it could mean for iPhone users.

The answer does not clarify whether its use of the word "traffic" is related to the network data kind, as connected devices like the iPhone send and receive, or the vehicular form of traffic. Either, of course, would be applicable to a mobile device like the iPhone."

June 1, 2011 AppleInsider reports that Google, Apple renew partnership for maps, search in iPhone

"Apple does, however, appear to still be working on building out its own Maps team. In March, AppleInsider discovered a job listing for an iOS Maps Application Developer that would help "radically improve" Apple's location-based services. Last year, Apple began using its own Maps location databases, though it still relies on Google for the maps themselves.

Last month, Apple revealed that it is collecting anonymous traffic data in order to build a "crowd-sourced traffic database," though it was not immediately clear whether the use of the word "traffic" referred to network data or transportation."

June 23, 2011 MacRumors reports Evidence in iOS 5 that Apple is Building Its Own Mapping Solution (sorry AppleInsider)

"This entire section is new in iOS 5's legal section and does not appear to be related to Google's own mapping data licenses. Google's own legal terms for their map data is distinct, and many of the companies do not overlap. In fact, one of the listed traffic-data companies is a competitor to Google's Maps. 

The companies listed in iOS 5's legal notices include the following diverse companies under the "Map Data" section: 

• CoreLogic offers Parcel data which marks boundaries for of properties to provide positional accuracy in location-based solutions. 

• Getchee provides location and market data on China, India and Southeast Asia. 

• Increment P Corp provides location and traffic data for Japan. 

• Localeze provides local business listings. 

• MapData Sciences Pty Ltd. Inc provides mapping data for Australia and New Zealand. 

• DMTI provides postal code data for Canada. 

• TomTom offers global TeleAtlas mapping data which is also licensed by Google for their map solution. 

• Urban Mapping provides in-depth neighborhood data such as crime, demographics, school performance, economic indicators and more. 

• Waze offers real-time maps and traffic information based on crowd sourced data. 

The last two companies are perhaps the most interesting. Urban Mapping offersextensive additional data over traditional mapping products. The company was even a partner of Placebase's back in 2007 before Apple's acquisition. Meanwhile, Wazeseems to be exactly what Apple was talking about when they hinted at crowd-sourced traffic data. Waze offers mobile apps that can be used to send data back to a central database to show realtime traffic data."

August 11, 2011 AppleInsider reports Inside IOS 5: new Maps features 

"Apple's iOS Maps app is a front end client to the Google Maps web service. While it was rumored that Apple might build its own mapping service or switch to another provider like Microsoft Bing, iOS 5 continues to use Google Maps for its data. 

Apple's cleverly easy to use iOS Maps app with direct multitouch manipulation has been confused for being a Google invention. Instead, it simply pulls data from Google and presents it in a way that's simple and fast to browse, making it about as essential as Mobile Safari, and of course much easier to use (particularly for mobile users) than the generic web client Google offers within the browser.

Apple has incrementally added features to its iOS Maps client, including transit and walking directions. The newest version in iOS 5 ads the ability to print maps via AirPrint, as well as emphasizing its suggested directional paths using a glossy, three dimensional tube line.

The new iOS 5 Maps app also has a new feature that suggests multiple routes, allowing the user to chose between a few options before stepping through the directions to the destination. Below, there are three options given for driving from Pixar to Apple, and selecting between them shows distance and approximate driving times. after selecting a route, Maps' directions will then fetch detailed instructions.

iOS Maps vs Google Maps for Android 

Apple's Maps client doesn't do everything Google Map's own web client can do, and even lacks some of the features of Google's Android mobile maps client. For example, there's no way to browse in "Google Earth" perspective view, taking advantage of the 3D buildings Google has on its servers. Google has promoted this as a unique feature of tablets running Android 3.0 Honeycomb as part of that operating system's overall 3D interface.

On the iPhone, there's no terrain view showing topography (although the iPad version currently offers this). There's also no support for Google Maps Navigation, a turn by turn service Google began similarly promoting as a unique feature of Google Maps for Android smartphones.

Google's own Maps client for Android also incorporates the company's Places (a clone of Yelp) and Latitude (a clone Loopt). Apple is unlikely to ever add support for either of Google's map add-on services, and also looks unlikely to add Google Navigation support, all of which would directly encroach upon third party iOS developers. 

In contrast, Google created Android primarily with the intent of making sure that mobile users were using its services. It therefore has little concern for third party developers of GPS or other location based apps that its Google Maps Navigation app for Android has essentially pushed out of the market."

August 11, 2011 AppleInsider reports that Apple looking to simplify Maps on iPhone with dynamic emphasizing, exaggerating

"The proposed invention, discovered by AppleInsider, is found in a U.S. patent application entitled "Schematic Maps.". It describes a method in which a mapping application would present users only with information that is most relevant to a given situation.

Apple believes that this concept could provide navigators with a "simple and clear representation sufficient to aid a user in guidance or orientation."

In the application, Apple notes that online mapping services have continued to add information over the years, including satellite imagery, 3D buildings and street views. While this data can be very helpful, the company also believes mapping software has become increasingly complicated, full of information that may not be useful to users.

In addition, Apple believes that mapping software is often not properly displayed on devices with smaller screen sizes, like the iPhone. This small amount of screen real estate, coupled with the plethora of information provided by services like Google Maps, can make mapping software confusing and inefficient for users.

Apple's solution would dynamically generate maps for users based partially on the attributes of the display on which they are presented, to optimize for that screen size. By emphasizing certain landmarks or roads, Apple could allow users to glean necessary information more quickly and accurately than with a heavily populated map.

For example, Apple could modify the Maps software for iPhone to automatically "distort" a displayed map when a user requests directions to a certain location. Though the distorted map may not necessarily recreate the real landscape, it would emphasize areas of interest of users to make navigation easier."

August 18, 2011 AppleInsider reports that Apple investigating augmented reality for improved iPhone maps

"Apple's interest in the feature was revealed this week in a new U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing entitled Augmented Reality Maps. Using an iPhone camera and its wide array of sensors, including GPS, compass and gyroscope, mapping data can be used to visually augment live video.

This process, known as "augmented reality," is already found in many iPhone applications, such as Layar (iTunes link), which can be used for finding local businesses and other locations. Augmented reality presents data to a user in real time by augmenting images of the real world that are displayed via a device's camera.

In Apple's concept, streets, locations and other map data would be overlaid onto the live images being displayed through the iPhone camera. Standing along a street, users could see the street name and individual street addresses displayed in front of them, just by holding up their iPhone and pointing its camera at a location.

Apple's application notes that augmented reality programs are already available, but are typically separate from mapping applications that offer users directions to a location.

"Such systems can fail to orient [users] with a poor sense of direction and force the user to correlate the directions with objects in reality," the filing reads. "Such a transition is not as easy as it might seem.

"For example, an instruction that directs a user to go north on Main St. assumes that the user can discern which direction is north. Further, in some instances, street signs may be missing or indecipherable, making it difficult for the user to find the directed route."

Apple's solution would interpret data describing the surrounding areas, and determine what objects are being viewed by the iPhone at present. This information would be overlaid onto the live video screen, and other features, like searching for locations, would also be accessible from this screen.

"In one form of interaction, a device can receive input from the user requesting directions from a present location to a selected search result," the filing reads. "Directions can be overlaid onto the presently displayed video feed, thus showing a course and upcoming turns."

The system could also give users indications that they are headed in the wrong direction. For example, if they must walk north to find a certain restaurant, and they are headed south, the system could inform them there is "no route" to their selected destination."

October 29, 2011 AppleInsider reports Apple rumored to take on Google's 3D maps with superior technology

"In August, MacRumors noted that, according to local reports, a "company in the Western world" had purchased Sweden-based 3D mapping company C3 Technologies. At the time, Apple was among those speculated to be the purchaser, with Microsoft and Google also named as possible buyers.

It has now been suggested that Apple was indeed the company that snatched up C3. The mapping company uses once classified military targeting technology to create 3D maps. Technology Review reported in April of this year that C3's 3D mapping method entailed using planes equipped with angled digital SLR cameras to take aerial photos that capture the sides of buildings as well as the tops. Those images were then supplemented with photos from additional camera angles to create a full 3D rendering of a city.

"Unlike Google or Bing, all of our maps are 360° explorable," C3 Chief Strategy Officer Paul Smith said earlier this year. "Everything, every building, every tree, every landmark, from the city center to the suburbs, is captured in 3D—not just a few select buildings.""

November 2, 2011 AppleInsider reports that Google to charge partners who heavily use its Maps API

"According to the BBC, Google will charge $4 per 1,000 views for "hits" that reach more than 25,000 per day. The new charges will apply to partners who use the Google Maps API service to power their own products.

On the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, the map data and Street View content available in the iOS Maps application is provided by Google. Apple has been using its own location databases since April of 2010, but still relies on Google for supplemental data.

Google's plan to charge partners for heavy use of the Google Maps AI will take effect on Jan. 1, 2012, and the company has said it will only affect 0.35 percent of users. Thor Mitchell, product manager of Google's Maps API, said the charges are necessary to ensure the "long-term future" of the product."

May 4, 2012 AppleInsider reports that Apple adds OpenStreetMap attribution to iPhoto for iOS

"When iPhoto for iOS was released in March, the software lacked required attribution to the OpenStreetMap Foundation. The organization highlighted Apple's switch to OSM, and the missing necessary credit, in an official company blog post.

But this week's update to iPhoto rectified the error, and viewing the software's "Acknowledgements" in the iOS Settings application shows the proper attribution.

The change was made after OpenStreetMap reached out to Apple directly through the foundation, and also through a third-party developer, according to Talking Points Memo. Richard Fairhurst, a board member at the foundation, said he believes it was the involvement of an iOS developer, who is also one of the group's volunteer mappers, that led to Apple adding the attribution.

"Obviously we'd rather that Apple had attributed right from the start, but nonetheless this is a big step forward," Fairhurst said. "If the biggest computer company in the world, one with a perfectionist instinct, feels that OpenStreetMap data meets its needs and is happy to publicly attribute us, then that's a great vote of confidence in our community's work.""

May 11, 2011 AppleInsider reports Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'

• Reply 58 of 145

Quote:

The difference here is that Siri requires data to be used. They can't put it on the iPad until all iPads have the ability to use Siri at any time. Its positioning as a feature on…

Look, this is ticking me off just thinking about it. Yes, Siri CAN be used on the iPhone 4. I'd love for Apple to include it in iOS 6 for iPhone 4 users as part of the 'taking it out of beta' stage. It's not going on the iPad, though, for the reason I stated above.

Maps isn't like Siri in this regard only because Maps has always been on the iPad, all iPads, regardless of connectivity. They can't deny iPad and iPhone users their new maps in iOS 6 without unleashing the fury of 250 million iOS users. Nor would they WANT to, given that Apple hates Google so much. It just won't happen.

And, come WWDC, we'll know exactly what EVERYONE is going to get in iOS 6, because they won't talk about a feature at all unless it works on an existing device. Any new features of the next iPhone will be discussed exclusively at the iPhone event in October. I don't foresee many new differentiating software features, as the changes hardware will be large enough on their own to highlight.

What do you believe will be the marquee feature in iOS 6 then?  In other words, what is the compelling software reason to upgrade hardware? 

My perspective is that iOS 6 may push new Maps to all users but some features such as 3D may be limited to the new iPhone (6th generation).

I apologize to anyone who believes my immediately preceding post is too long.  I thought that encapsulating all the related events over the last few years was an interesting and worthwhile exercise since so many are focusing on a single aspect of the possible solution.

• Reply 59 of 145
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Here, let me help; I think you mean:

I don't want to see any Google services or them credited anywhere in iOS 6, "especially" gmail !

Seriously, I agree with you as far as wanting everything attached to google off my iDevices.  Especially gmail.  These days for many people, email is their life story.  How can anyone possibly trust google with that data?!  Google's business model is very explicit: they profit from knowing as much as possible about their users and selling that data (usually in aggregate, at least for now) to their customers, who are obviously not their users.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, I quite like Gmail and prefer it over any of my other paid and free options. I appreciate having alternatives.

I agree, in general, that having alternatives is a good thing.  And I agree that from a feature/quality standpoint, gmail is top-notch.  Perhaps best in class.

But it's hard for me to understand why people would value the incremental convenience gmail offers, enough to willing to hand over every intimate detail of all personal messages with friends, family, coworkers, Dr. offices, etc. to a company that openly says they use it for profiling purposes.  The level which google can profile people is insane, even without having full view of every email.  Adding that to the pot gives them more personal data than any government or organization in the history of the world has ever had.  It's unprecedented, and it's scary. 

This is not really aimed at you, and you were nice enough to respond in a cordial fashion, so I'm not trying to pick on you, just extend the conversation.  Bottom line: I'll be very happy when the last vestiges of google have been removed from core iOS apps.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I have been stating that 2012 is the year for Apple Maps since the release of the new iPad.  Apple appreciates synergy across devices and markets to enjoy high margins due to economies of scale. 

A 3D Apple Maps solution with an amazing user experience will likely require:

Quad-Core GPU (PowerVR SGX543MP4 such as used in Apple A5X SOC)

1024 GB RAM

LTE Connectivity

Even with 90% usage of Placebase 2D data augmented by "schematic maps" 3D data from Poly9 and C3 Technologies the solution would massively tax iPhone 4S.

The only issue I see is the limited availability of C3 Technologies type maps for all major and medium-sized cities especially outside North America.

It'll be the 6th generation Rogue not the current Quad GPGPU from PowerVR.