Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You mean something that has a conversational interface with semantic analysis and context awareness?  Wow.  Wouldn't that be neat!

Something so simple any yahoo could use it and I wouldn't have to ask my butler Jeeves to find the answer. Something so powerful that you'd get excited and googly-eyed over the concept that it could give you results for more than a googolplex of data. Something so fast that the results would bing back almost instantly. (That's all I can think of)
  • Reply 82 of 145
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Patiently awaits apology and an address to ship the humble pie.

None needed, Apple only acquired C3, it's not a Apple project. I'm looking for when the agreement between Nokia and C3 ends but I believe it is 2013. Bing will become Nokia's Map provider.
  • Reply 83 of 145
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. I am not going to use another mapping program when I can have my directions so much faster by typing it in my browse then playing with some program. My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions. The iPhone is way to small to stare at in the car and the iPad is way to big hold while driving. There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything. I'm sure it's pretty and has amazing graphics with spinning globes and all the hoopla but at the end of the day it wont provide me with better directions then what I'm currently getting from Google or my sat unit. I'm sure my children will use it for their geography homework though. So keep your links to your self, especially when I cant see it for myself yet and it's just some article declaring how great it is.

Typical response.

Deny the facts.  Proclaim anyone but Apple "the greatest thing ever."  Move the "goal post."  Use insults since the evidence contradicts your stated position.  Denigrate Apple and anything Apple could possibly do to improve consumer electronics as too little, too late.

Is there a handbook for this?  Crayon perhaps?

See that.  You moved the goal post.  I didn't see it but I knew it was coming.

More insults next?  I am taking notes.  On the other hand, let me go find my notes from my class on Identifying and Understanding Logical Fallacies.

• Reply 84 of 145
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Something so simple any yahoo could use it and I wouldn't have to ask my butler Jeeves to find the answer. Something so powerful that you'd get excited and googly-eyed over the concept that it could give you results for more than a googolplex of data. Something so fast that the results would bing back almost instantly. (That's all I can think of)

The Spanish have a name for high view...

• Reply 85 of 145
    relic wrote: »
    First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure.
    So now we see the goal posts on Apple as a successful company moved once again. They don't have their own search engine so any mapping program will suck by default. There is something seriously wrong with you(r comments).

Yes, that is why Nokia is now going with Bing and Apple only bought the company in 2011, they didn't create it. The newest release of Nokia Drive no longer uses C3 with Maps to follow.
    1) Who hear said that Apple created C3 Technologies? It seems to me that the statement of Apple acquiring C3 Technologies is a clear indication that they didn't own C3 otherwise buying what they already own would make no sense. Can you really not see how irrational your comments are?

2) To be clear, MBP stated "You do realize the 3D Maps feature in Nokia Maps is provided by Apple (formerly C3 Technologies)?" for which you responded with "Nokia does not use Apple's mapping service, where did you hear that from." and he responded with proof that Nokia's 3D Maps used C3 which is now a part of Apple. So yes, an apology would be appropriate. If you don't I will have to give you a time out.
  • Reply 86 of 145

Quote:

First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. 

Refer to

• Reply 87 of 145
    Typical response.

Deny the facts.  Proclaim anyone but Apple "the greatest thing ever."  Move the "goal post."  Use insults since the evidence contradicts your stated position.  Denigrate Apple and anything Apple could possibly do to improve consumer electronics as too late, too late.

Is there a handbook for this?  Crayon perhaps?

What ever, I'm happy typing in my starting point address then my destination address and hitting enter. Google maps pops up and I click print. I don't need another program to do something that takes me 5 seconds to do. If you need something that has an Apple logo on it then so be it. Whatever cool 3D graphic, retina display magic isn't going to make the functionality any different. I also have a Nokia N9 with Nokia Maps, used it maybe twice to play around with it, I've also used Bing Maps and I will use this Apples new one as well. In the end though, I will always go back to my aforementioned methods because they're fast and they work.

Google Maps has access to satellite imagery that no other company has access to. Remember that little article that was posted the other day how Apple only spends 500,000 dollars for lobbying and Google spends something like 30 million, well.........
  • Reply 88 of 145
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So now we see the goal posts on Apple as a successful company moved once again. They don't have their own search engine so any mapping program will suck by default. There is something seriously wrong with you(r comments).
    1) Who hear said that Apple created C3 Technologies? It seems to me that the statement of Apple acquiring C3 Technologies is a clear indication that they didn't own C3 otherwise buying what they already own would make no sense. Can you really not see how irrational your comments are?
    2) To be clear, MBP stated "You do realize the 3D Maps feature in Nokia Maps is provided by Apple (formerly C3 Technologies)?" for which you responded with "Nokia does not use Apple's mapping service, where did you hear that from." and he responded with proof that Nokia's 3D Maps used C3 which is now a part of Apple. So yes, an apology would be appropriate. If you don't I will have to give you a time out.

Fine I'm sorry for saying that Nokia doesn't use an Apple acquired technology.
  • Reply 89 of 145
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. I am not going to use another mapping program when I can have my directions so much faster by typing it in my browse then playing with some program. My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions. The iPhone is way to small to stare at in the car and the iPad is way to big hold while driving. There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything. I'm sure it's pretty and has amazing graphics with spinning globes and all the hoopla but at the end of the day it wont provide me with better directions then what I'm currently getting from Google or my sat unit. I'm sure my children will use it for their geography homework though. So keep your links to your self, especially when I cant see it for myself yet and it's just some article declaring how great it is.

First... I appreciate your condition -- hospitalized with  an opium drip...  and that you may not survive...  or even leave the hospital...

That said, you can't expect to play the pity card when the need arises and then continue to lambaste Apple and posters here -- that it's products (announced and unannounced) do not and will not meet your requirements...

It just isn't logical to tell someone "screw you" and "My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions"... all things considered...

• Reply 90 of 145

First... I appreciate your condition -- hospitalized with  an opium drip...  and that you may not survive...  or even leave the hospital...

That said, you can't expect to play the pity card when the need arises and then continue to lambaste Apple and posters here -- that it's products (announced and unannounced) do not and will not meet your requirements...

It just isn't logical to tell someone "screw you" and "My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions"... all things considered...

I'm not asking for a pity card, the fact of the matter is you guys I really won't be with you much longer so who cares, I pretty much lost my battle with cancer and there isn't much anyone can do . My BMW does have a voice activated NAV unit, I wasn't bragging I just said my BMW because if you have one you would know how good the NAV unit is, It's a cute little blue 3 series that I bought in Nov, 2010. Look I'm just debating this new revolutionary new product, nothing to get upset about. My point is how many people actually start up a independent mapping program, not many. No most likely your surfing for a new restraunt or your on a telephone call and someone says, hey meet me at so and so location. Most people immediately go to their web-browser and type the address into Google. Then wham there you go, you have the address with directions. I never use Google Earth with all that fancy 3D crap and I don't think many people do either unless their playing or doing research. I'm also afraid that Apple will remove Google's map services from Apple Store. I'm really getting tired of Apple banning software that competes with it's own. That's a monopoly and it's wrong.

Oh and I wasn't ambaste (sorry english, again is my third language) or whatever that means to anyone, Macbook Pro guy called me an idiot and a 3yr so I said screw you.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Go here

Notice the "C3 Technologies" acknowledgement on the lower left?

While I'm sure you are correct . . . No, I don't see it. (But hey, I haven't been able to load the Bank of America website for a few days since the recent Safari update either.) I believe you anyway.

• Reply 92 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything.

Huh. So the ability to simply dock your iPad in the dash of your vehicle and pull up all sorts of information about the vehicle in addition to controlling its entire media and climate center and getting turn-by-turn directions pushed through your speakers, smoothly pausing your music/video/et. al. while it does so wouldn't "change anything"?

Then where can I get one of these awesome cars that does this already!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Love ya, Dick. Though I suppose I was supposed to not reply at all and just click that faceless thumb. Seems to be the modern thing to do. image

Quote:

I'm also afraid that Apple will remove Google's map services from Apple Store. I'm really getting tired of Apple banning software that competes with it's own. That's a monopoly and it's wrong.

Don't worry; that's not happening. Google's myriad services still provide a great deal more minute features than Apple's solution will, and I say that having not seen their final product. And no, it's not 'a monopoly'. How long has it been since Apple did that, anyway?

• Reply 93 of 145

Quote:

Google Maps has access to satellite imagery that no other company has access to.

You may be correct but you haven't substantiated that statement.

According to a CNet interview with with Lars Rasmussen, lead engineer of the Google Maps project, "Google Maps was originally a C++ app intended to be downloaded separately," he recalled, harking back to the days before the acquisition of his start-up company, Where 2 Technologies, by Google last October.

However, that changed when Rasmussen and his colleagues--looking for some venture capital--pitched their mapping expertise to Google.

At that point, the team changed their development model and started focusing on the Web instead. "We were surprised by the things you could do in a Web browser," he said.

I guess Google Maps isn/t spectacular since it is acquired technology?!?!

According to Google, "Google offers high resolution imagery for thousands of cities, and more are on the way. Most of this imagery is approximately one to three years old and provides an aerial view about 800-1500 feet from the ground."  

Not satellite imagery to which no one else has access.

To quote you, "Please don't make stuff up."

• Reply 94 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

While I'm sure you are correct . . . No, I don't see it. (But hey, I haven't been able to load the Bank of America website for a few days since the recent Safari update either.) I believe you anyway.

In all fairness, only the 3D data is from Apple (formerly C3 Technologies).  You may be on a different view although I suspect you could figure that out.

As far as Bank of America, have you tried using the User Agent?  I have had major success with that in the past though not always.

• Reply 95 of 145
    Google maps pops up and I click print.
    So you're printing your directions. That surely explains why you would have no use for 3D mapping that is only useful on a monitor but it doesn't explain why anything Apple has done or could do in the future you've deemed pointless, stupid, or done first by someone else in some rudimentary way thus making any advancement by Apple pathetic..
  • Reply 96 of 145
    You may be correct but you haven't substantiated that statement.

<p style="margin-top:10px;border:0px;font-size:15px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:20px;">According to a CNet interview with with Lars Rasmussen, lead engineer of the Google Maps project, "Google Maps was originally a C++ app intended to be downloaded separately," he recalled, harking back to the days before the acquisition of his start-up company, Where 2 Technologies, by Google last October.</p>

<p style="margin-top:10px;border:0px;font-size:15px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:20px;">However, that changed when Rasmussen and his colleagues--looking for some venture capital--pitched their mapping expertise to Google.</p>

<p style="margin-top:10px;border:0px;font-size:15px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:20px;">At that point, the team changed their development model and started focusing on the Web instead. "We were surprised by the things you could do in a Web browser," he said.</p>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:21px;">I guess Google Maps isn/t spectacular since it is acquired technology?!?!</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:21px;">According to Google, "</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">Google offers high resolution imagery for thousands of cities, and more are on the way. Most of this imagery is approximately one to three years old and provides an aerial view about 800-1500 feet from the ground."  </span>

<span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">Not satellite imagery to which no one else has access.</span>

[SIZE=28px]<span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">To quote you, "Please don't make stuff up."</span>
    [/SIZE]
    GeoEye One orbiter
    I wan't lying or making things up Google signed a deal with GeoEye back in 2008 to get exclusive imagery and the sat photos for most of the world except for places like China or Russia are newer then 3 years old.
  • Reply 97 of 145
    desuserign wrote: »

It doesn't show up until you DL and install the plug-in.

edit: Yikes! That Nokia plug-in was not kind to Safari or my system. My CPU was spiked and my fans were going at full blast and that was just trying to do a search which wouldn't even input the text as I typed it. I hope Apple has worked out the issues to make it render smoothly and fast.
  • Reply 98 of 145
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

None needed, Apple only acquired C3, it's not a Apple project. I'm looking for when the agreement between Nokia and C3 ends but I believe it is 2013. Bing will become Nokia's Map provider.

So I assume you realize that Google acquired and didn't create their mapping software either? (although they did do a lot of work to adapt it to their needs.)

Apple though is very good at taking their acquisitions and then completely re-imagining and reengineering them into something far more stunning and innovative. (As an example take a look at almost everything in the computing space over the last 35 years or so.)

• Reply 99 of 145
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So you're printing your directions. That surely explains why you would have no use for 3D mapping that is only useful on a monitor but it doesn't explain why anything Apple has done or could do in the future you've deemed pointless, stupid, or done first by someone else in some rudimentary way thus making any advancement by Apple pathetic..

Your putting words in mouth like always, I never said it was pathetic. In fact I said it's probably wonderful filled with wonder and cool effects but at the end of the day me personally will always just go to the little Google box that's in Safari and ask for directions or use the SAT NAV in my car.
  • Reply 100 of 145
    The bought the company in 2011, I doubt much has changed from what is already available with Nokia Maps. Like so many have pointed out that Nokia Maps uses C3.