Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

In 2010, a set of Apple patent applications showed that the company was looking into using future iPhones to generate 3D models of an object or place.

You mean like we can do with many image manipulation programs for years. Definitely patent not worthy

Quote:

Another application filed last August entitled "Augmented Reality Maps" described an invention that would overlay data such as directions or street names in real time on top of live video.

You mean like I can do with my android phone photo. Next logical step is same on video. Definitely not patent worthy.

Quote:

Apple has also filed for a "Schematic Maps" patent where a mapping application would dynamically emphasize or exaggerate details such as roads or landmarks.

You mean like I have done with Google Maps and Google Navigation fot the last 18 months?

Quote:

Traffic could also play a key role in Apple's new Maps application for iOS 6. The company publicly announced last April that it was "collecting anonymous traffic data to build a crowd-sourced traffic  database."

You mean like I can do in with Google Maps (just click traffic button and you see how quickly traffic is moving) and Google Navigation?

• Reply 122 of 145

I wonder if nurses and doctors had, and were able to use an "ignore feature" similar to appleinsiders? wouldn't that would be great...

• Reply 123 of 145
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member

Very slightly off-topic (but not that much as its Google related), but I think Apple should no longer preinstall a YouTube app, it was fun with iOS1 but really no longer needed now. Google can submit a new version of YouTube to the app store and maintain it themselves.

• Reply 124 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

Very slightly off-topic (but not that much as its Google related), but I think Apple should no longer preinstall a YouTube app, it was fun with iOS1 but really no longer needed now. Google can submit a new version of YouTube to the app store and maintain it themselves.

What about changing it to an app that services all the major online video services? Because Apple's YouTube app is better than any mobile or desktop implementation of the site that Google would ever do.

As they did on the Apple TV, just add Vimeo support! Have the "YouTube" app be renamed something else and let it search Vimeo, YouTube, and others in the same place. Obviously you could set it to search just one or the other. That'd fix Google's wagon.

• Reply 125 of 145
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What about changing it to an app that services all the major online video services? Because Apple's YouTube app is better than any mobile or desktop implementation of the site that Google would ever do.

As they did on the Apple TV, just add Vimeo support! Have the "YouTube" app be renamed something else and let it search Vimeo, YouTube, and others in the same place. Obviously you could set it to search just one or the other. That'd fix Google's wagon.

Excellent suggestion!

• Reply 126 of 145
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

You mean like we can do with many image manipulation programs for years. Definitely patent not worthy

You mean like I can do with my android phone photo. Next logical step is same on video. Definitely not patent worthy.

You mean like I have done with Google Maps and Google Navigation fot the last 18 months?

You mean like I can do in with Google Maps (just click traffic button and you see how quickly traffic is moving) and Google Navigation?

Thank you for so clearly identifying yourself as an undesirable.  I hadn't blocked your posts for some reason until now.

• Reply 127 of 145
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No, my cellar is quite well stocked thank you and the level in my glass tends to reflect that..

I don't live in the US, neither do the majority of Apple's customers. Pervasive 3G coverage does not exist in many places, yet Apple have a consistent track record of introducing glossy attention catching features that rely on streaming large amounts of data in order to function - face time, Siri, iCloud, and from the sounds of it, this map function.  'No tickee, no washee.'  No data no mapee isn't thinking differently, it is just unintelligent.  It means Apple isn't really interested in offering their customers a 'real' navigation feature, just a superficial facsimile for the easily pleased and easily lead.

...or they leave it to developers to fill in the gaps, which has led to them leading in the App store race.

Developers should compete with each other not handset providers.

I have full GPS on my iPhone and iPad, it cost $15 and takes a GB of space, it doesn't need an Internet connection, I'm happy, the developer's happy.

• Reply 128 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

...like the Nokia map app?  Should be a cool addition.  

My house doesn't exist on Nokia maps, neither does my street there's just this big blank area where a whole new suburb was built.

• Reply 129 of 145
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Ironic that the video can't be watched on OSX without flash but works just fine on my iPad...
  • Reply 130 of 145
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

It's weird to think that they'd market a sixth gen. iPhone and then follow it up with an iPhone 5S. Or are you implying that the sixth gen. iPhone will be released in 2013?

Silly.

Are we not in agreement that the iPhone to be released this year will be called the 'iPhone 5' ? And do you not think it probable that the following years iPhone (2013) will use the same physical appearance as the iPhone 5, with only internal modifications such as speed? Therefore not warranting the name 'iPhone 6' and perhaps being  'iPhone 5s' (or 5b or whatever).

What is so "silly" about that hypothesis?

• Reply 131 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Are we not in agreement that the iPhone to be released this year will be called the 'iPhone 5' ?

Well, you're in agreement, but I think you'll have trouble finding another person to be the other half of that agreement. At least on here. image

Quote:

And do you not think it probable that the following years iPhone (2013) will use the same physical appearance as the iPhone 5, with only internal modifications such as speed?

It's quite possible, even likely, that the next two iPhones will use the same case.

Quote:

The fact that iPhone 5 is the most idiotic name imaginable for this product, not even taking into account that modern trends show that Apple's likely to call it just "iPhone".

• Reply 132 of 145
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Are we not in agreement that the iPhone to be released this year will be called the 'iPhone 5' ? And do you not think it probable that the following years iPhone (2013) will use the same physical appearance as the iPhone 5, with only internal modifications such as speed? Therefore not warranting the name 'iPhone 6' and perhaps being  'iPhone 5s' (or 5b or whatever).

I'm curious why Apple would name their sixth gen. iPhone "iPhone 5". After all, they named their fourth gen. iPhone "iPhone 4". Maybe they will retroactively change the name of the iPhone 4 to iPhone 3. They probably will just to appease a confused minorities understanding of their product line.

Personally, I think it will be called "the new iPhone."
  • Reply 133 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

I'm curious why Apple would name their sixth gen. iPhone "iPhone 5". After all, they named their fourth gen. iPhone "iPhone 4". Maybe they will retroactively change the name of the iPhone 4 to iPhone 3. They probably will just to appease a confused minorities understanding of their product line.

Personally, I think it will be called "the new iPhone."

The name here is irrelevant, my point is, the case design will likely stay the same. Which will need a little marketing to boost the second year of sales, with not much more than a speed increase internally.

• Reply 134 of 145
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

No , none of those work as you think they do to do the tasks described. You have no idea of what you are speaking of.

• Reply 135 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The fact that iPhone 5 is the most idiotic name imaginable for this product, not even taking into account that modern trends show that Apple's likely to call it just "iPhone".

Apple's web site right now refers to the current iPhone as "iPhone 4s" what leap of imagination does it take to think that Apple would refer to the next iPhone as the "iPhone 5"?! 

• Reply 136 of 145
    relic wrote: »
    First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. I am not going to use another mapping program when I can have my directions so much faster by typing it in my browse then playing with some program. My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions. The iPhone is way to small to stare at in the car and the iPad is way to big hold while driving. There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything. I'm sure it's pretty and has amazing graphics with spinning globes and all the hoopla but at the end of the day it wont provide me with better directions then what I'm currently getting from Google or my sat unit. I'm sure my children will use it for their geography homework though. So keep your links to your self, especially when I cant see it for myself yet and it's just some article declaring how great it is.

The more you post, the more it becomes obvious you are just antagonistic and bitter. There are so many misconceptions in this post alone, it's a wonder other users here have the patience to try and explain the topic at hand to you. Your obstinate attitude is a deal breaker for me, personally.
  • Reply 137 of 145
    nairb wrote: »
    [SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt]You mean like we can do with many image manipulation programs for years. Definitely patent not worthy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt]You mean like I can do with my android phone photo. Next logical step is same on video. Definitely not patent worthy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt]You mean like I have done with Google Maps and Google Navigation fot the last 18 months?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt] You mean like I can do in w[SIZE=8.5pt]ith Google Maps (just click traffic button and you see how quickly traffic is moving) and Google Navigation?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Yes, because a patent is solely its title and nothing more. We'll ignore your various fabrications as well so you only appear slightly deluded.
  • Reply 138 of 145
    Apple's web site right now refers to the current iPhone as "iPhone 4s" what leap of imagination does it take to think that Apple would refer to the next iPhone as the "iPhone 5"?! 

A fairly big leap as I find it hard to believe that Apple defy previous naming conventions as well as the rules of logic. Again, why would a sixth generation device be named iPhone 5? It isn't the 5th iPhone, it isn't the 5th form factor and it isn't the successor to iPhone 4. Please drop it, or explain your thought process in coming to this conclusion.
  • Reply 139 of 145

Quote:

…the case design will likely stay the same.

See, now that I don't figure. They seem to be on a two year cycle with cases. 

Quote:

…what leap of imagination does it take to think that Apple would refer to the next iPhone as the "iPhone 5"?! 

A leap that supersedes one's ability to count, for starters. image

• Reply 140 of 145

The fact that iPhone 5 is the most idiotic name imaginable for this product...

You mustn't have much of an imagination .

iPhone XPXPXPalidocious Supercalifragilistic edition is far more idiotic.