Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    B&O too expensive?

J.
  • Reply 22 of 137

booo their TV sets designs look as awful as Samsung "Smart" TV sets.

Next: Apple purchase Bang & Olufsen for 600 million euros.

Next: Apple brings the app store to your TV.

aaah just give me iPanel with Apple logo and i'll be a happy man :)

• Reply 23 of 137
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I could write a book on the possibilities.  But, I won't.  Let's just say, this aught to get VERY interesting.  Remember, Apple has money.

• Reply 24 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Remember, Apple has money.

It's far easier to lose money than it is to gain it.

• Reply 25 of 137

Let's put it this way.  If my suspicions are correct as to the direction for Apple, if they buy Loewe.  I would pretty much be scared out of my mind if I were Samsung, Sony, Android phones, and Windows anything.  But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.  It would actually be a good thing in general as far as I am concerned.

• Reply 26 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.

1) When prognosticating you can't be right unless you risk being wrong.

2) I'd like to hear what you think it most likely going to happen, based on the current data.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Looks like a really good fit from initial impressions...  

http://www.loewe.tv/

Odd that I have never seen their products here in the US.  :(  Germans make some good things, like Bilstein shocks.  ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by animatedude View Post

booo their TV sets designs look as awful as Samsung "Smart" TV sets.

Next: Apple purchase Bang & Olufsen for 600 million euros.

Next: Apple brings the app store to your TV.

aaah just give me iPanel with Apple logo and i'll be a happy man :)

I agree with libertyforall. Although I see a lot of areas where Apple design isn’t prevalent in their products, I do see the minimalist approach across their entire line of products, and even their web site.

I was quite surprised when I went to the link.

I have no idea what Apple has in store, but if they have a TV in mind, I can see that not only the possibility of IP they want, I can see the possibility of the minds behind the minimalist designs being a great fit for Apple too. I think Jony would enjoy working with these people.

• Reply 28 of 137
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Loewe makes TVs, but also audio systems and speakers. They have all the technology that Apple could put in one total home entertainment device: Apple TV. Maybe with (optional?) external speakers. But wirelessly connected.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Judging by your posting history, I'm guessing that there's lots of stuff that you " never even knew".

I didn't report the post or anything, but talk about your random personal attacks for no reason whatsoever ...  

• Reply 30 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.
  • Reply 31 of 137

Get the paten portfolio of a high-end video & audio company, that's been in the business of innovating for almost 100 years,  for $100m?  no brainer.

I can't imagine Apple will be welcomed with open arms by their TV competitor brethren... and seems like cheap way to add to their patent arsenal, regardless if they end up going into that (or similar) markets, anyway...

They are spending more than that per quarter on legal defense at this point....

• Reply 32 of 137
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Germans do make some great premium products.  Warning, slapstick ahead...  I wonder if Tim Cook would reconsider his toaster and a refrigerator convergence so that Apple can design a HDTV combined with a washing machine, a Miele washing machine.  I think that would be pleasing to the customer! image </slapstick>

/

/

/

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, or are just intolerant, but the new AppleInsider forum somehow remembered you were on my banned list from ages ago, so after "clicking to read" this comment, I think I'll leave you there.  The offensive comment in your signature is probably reason enough. 

• Reply 33 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    newbee wrote: »
    Judging by your posting history, I'm guessing that there's lots of stuff that you " never even knew".

Now now, be nice.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.

This is a fairly small company. Could they produce enough product for Apple's needs should Apple decide to produce a set? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

Something else must be going on here. Bikertwin has the right idea. So does Poke.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Based on the info in this rumour it sound pretty much exactly what I'd expect Apple to do if they were to enter the HDTV market.

Agreed. It would be a great move.

• Reply 36 of 137
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Just a couple weeks ago I suggested Google should acquire Bang and Olufsen, if they want to compete with Apple in electronics space. 

• Reply 37 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

B&O too expensive?

J.

As a longtime B&O (but not any more) purchaser, I think they've totally lost it.

• Reply 38 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert V Buck View Post

Get the paten portfolio of a high-end video & audio company, that's been in the business of innovating for almost 100 years,  for $100m?  no brainer.

I can't imagine Apple will be welcomed with open arms by their TV competitor brethren... and seems like cheap way to add to their patent arsenal, regardless if they end up going into that (or similar) markets, anyway...

They are spending more than that per quarter on legal defense at this point....

Nice first post!

Welcome.

• Reply 39 of 137
    wolfmanwolfman Posts: 79member
    poke wrote: »
    Loewe make great products but I find it an unlikely purchase. Apple usually buys technology and not product lines. Would they discontinue Loewe's existing product lines? What would be the point of purchasing them otherwise? Apple knows enough about design and display technology to make their own television without needing to acquire another company. The only reason I can think they'd do this is if Loewe has IP that Apple needs for its television. I suppose this is possible since Loewe's products have a high-level of integration with Apple's products and Loewe's old enough that it might also have basic IP Apple needs to enter the television market.

While it is unclear that they would purchase Loewe, it actually fits right into Apple's strategy. In the end Apple always buys talent (and IP, naturally).

Wether the product is hardware or software, they don't need to start from scratch.

I remember that SoundJam was purchased and turned into iTunes in a heartbeat. Loewe would provide the hardware and TV-specific design experience that Apple could use to accelerate getting into the market.

I remember having a Loewe TV in the early 1991 that was not only fully supporting HDTV (HD Mac) with up to 7 languages and more subtitles, but also had built-in satellite tuners that could even re-position the satellite dish to different satellites).

Coolest TV ever at the time. That said, I heard that they even manufactured the B&O TV sets for a while..

They have definitely been a design leader for TV's.
  • Reply 40 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is a fairly small company. Could they produce enough product for Apple's needs should Apple decide to produce a set? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

Something else must be going on here. Bikertwin has the right idea. So does Poke.

First off, when I make predictions on Apple, I am batting about 85%, sometimes I am 100% balls on.  But the thoughts that I have I don't want to jinx it for Apple, it's too out there, but I want Apple to get into the negotiations without me hinting on it.  Sorry, but I would love to share it with you.  There are probably about 5 or 6 companies that I would target for Apple to acquire over the next 3 years.  but right now, they seem to be focusing on mfg these Apple HDTV boxes and I think they have to split the mfg between China and Germany because TVs are big and costly to ship worldwide.  Buying Loewe, from my point of view, gives them the ability to mfg different sizes and ship the product to various countries.  Plus, they have engineers at Loewe that can help with future products and they have other products that fit nicely with what Apple doesn't have.  But these other companies that I feel Apple should buy, I don't want to say a word right now, because it might be too premature and I don't want certain others to beat Apple to the punch.