Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

The problem with B&O is that some of their products are just overpriced garbage.  They look cool but ridiculously expensive for what you actually get.  It's the overpriced mid-fi.  There stuff, I wouldn't even consider high end, yet their prices are high end, but the actual end product is good mid-fi.  Nice TVs, but they use Samsung panels.  I think Apple wants to get away from Samsung.  Why give your enemy more money?

• Reply 42 of 137
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    IMHO a apple tv set is a good move by apple, with AirPlay e tv won't get old since the new hardware that changes every year will be in your iPod/iPhone OS iPad. Also they can extend their ecosystem to the living room completely and in the future even take consoles again by using AirPlay.

Obviously this won't be cheap at first but hopefully they will release a mainstream apple tv set and that will be when they disrupt the market...
  • Reply 43 of 137
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The problem with B&O is that some of their products are just overpriced garbage.  They look cool but ridiculously expensive for what you actually get.  It's the overpriced mid-fi.  

So that's not a problem. If their product is overpriced, then there is room to reduce price especially for the Apple mass market. And I would not call their product "garbage". 

• Reply 44 of 137
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

<snip> The only reason I can think they'd do this is if Loewe has IP that Apple needs for its television. I suppose this is possible since Loewe's products have a high-level of integration with Apple's products and Loewe's old enough that it might also have basic IP Apple needs to enter the television market.

I agree. Something is just not right. I don't think Loewe has the production capacity for the numbers Apple usually needs, especially for a product launch. IP makes more sense. Still...  I checked several major German news sites and there's not a peep about this deal. I did find one short article about Sharp maybe partnering with Loewe, but no mention of Apple. Of course, it's after 1am there and the Germans do have more important things on their minds...

German Soccer Championship Final results: Borussia Dortmund 5, Bayern München 2

• Reply 45 of 137
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

If true I would guess that Apple are buying their knowledge, engineering expertise, patents, and experienced staff. It would take years to build that kind of team, especially as Apple has no experience in the TV market. Maybe Apple have been trying to build their own TV and decided that they simply don't have the expertise to make it a truly exceptional product.

• Reply 46 of 137

The Loewes web site and product line up looks nice though. Very stylish and industrial design oriented.

Some facts:

• Loewes' largest stakeholders are Sharp 29%, and LaCie 11%. So you can tell where they get their panels and storage.

• The largest top of the line TV they make is 52". Lower end 32"-55"

• Revenue about 300 mill. euro so I guess it's 0.7-1 billion dollar market cap company

• Reply 47 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    booo their TV sets designs look as awful as Samsung "Smart" TV sets.

Next: Apple purchase Bang & Olufsen for 600 million euros.

Next: Apple brings the app store to your TV.

aaah just give me iPanel with Apple logo and i'll be a happy man :)
    Damn it's always been my dream that Apple buys Bang & Olufsen. <drool>
  • Reply 48 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Damn it's always been my dream that Apple buys Bang & Olufsen.

Google will take it and combine it with Motorola

• Reply 49 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,758member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.

Given how old of a company this is, is there any chance they have some important patents relating to TV technology?
  • Reply 50 of 137
    waybacmac wrote: »
    I agree. Something is just not right. I don't think Loewe has the production capacity for the numbers Apple usually needs, especially for a product launch. IP makes more sense. Still...  I checked several major German news sites and there's not a peep about this deal. I did find one short article about Sharp maybe partnering with Loewe, but no mention of Apple. Of course, it's after 1am there and the Germans do have more important things on their minds...

German Soccer Championship Final results: Borussia Dortmund 5, Bayern München 2

Correction ... "German Football Championship ....". /wink
  • Reply 51 of 137
    mercury99 wrote: »

I have no doubt they are thinking exactly that at this moment!
  • Reply 52 of 137
    john evosjohn evos Posts: 12member

This sure seems like a great fit for Apple. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.......if it plays out....would generate a huge amount of buzz around the stock and get it back on its upward trajectory.......................

• Reply 53 of 137
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Well the integration they have with apple products already with iPod connectors and the iPad apps plus the design of the products is also why they will buy them. That's exactly what apple will do with any company they buy to get in the tv set market...
  • Reply 54 of 137

Didn't Foxconn do some sort of deal with Sharp tv???? I know Sharp has an interest in this tv as well. 

Sharp makes beautiful sets with the added color of yellow to the spectrum which makes a picture superior to Samsung, LG etc.......

• Reply 55 of 137

Foxconn could do it...

• Reply 56 of 137
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

I wish they would put whatever innovative technology they are developing into the existing Apple TV for 99 dollars rather than high end HDTVs for a thousand.

Who says they cannot do both?

• Reply 57 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Evos View Post

Should be interesting to see how this plays out-if it plays out-would generate a huge amount of buzz around the stock and get it back on its upward trajectory

Well, downward if they're actually making a TV.

• Reply 58 of 137
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Damn it's always been my dream that Apple buys Bang & Olufsen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Mmmm.... Let's see...  then they could call the whole thing...  Boogerola  image

• Reply 59 of 137

Good point....do both...Apple TV and iPanel

• Reply 60 of 137

Is 50% regarded in Acquisition bids as a "slight premium"? Seems pretty substantial to me.