Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple is said to be negotiating to acquire Loewe AG, a manufacturer and distributor of televisions, audio components and integrated entertainment systems, with a final decision expected to be announced by the end of this week.

Word of the negotiations was exclusively revealed to AppleInsider, and although the offer has yet to be accepted, a source claims that Loewe "has been advised by its financial advisor to accept the offer and a final decision is scheduled to be announced internally before 18 May 2012."

This person said Apple is confidentially offering 87.3 million euros (about $112 million U.S.), a slight premium over the firm's last closing share price of 4.519 euros (giving it a market cap of 58.79 million euros or $76 million U.S.). Loewe's primary shareholders currently include Sharp (28.83 percent) and LaCie (11.17 percent).

The accuracy of the information provided could not be initially verified, but AppleInsider has shared it in the interest of discussion, particularly as rumors continue to swirl that Apple is preparing to launch its own full-fledge high-definition television set.

Loewe, which entered the TV market in 1929, now employes around 1,000 workers worldwide in 50 countries, although it has worked to keep the production of its premium, minimalist TV sets in "made in Germany" despite difficult economic conditions.

The company has seen its sales fall by 11 percent over the last year, generating a loss of 10.5 million Euro ($13.57 million USD) in 2011. However, the company has reported a resurgence in market growth due to its premium products.

In addition to building HDTVs, a market Apple has been rumored to be interested in entering, the company has also designed a high end AirSpeaker to work with Apple's wireless AirPlay audio distribution technology, builds SoundBox and other audio devices with iPod dock connectors and has created the Loewe Assist Media iPad app, which the company says "transforms the iPad into a luxury remote control. Station selection, EPG, archival recording and smart TV functions have never been so easy."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to building HDTVs, a market Apple has been rumored to be interested in entering, the company has also designed a high end AirSpeaker to work with Apple's wireless AirPlay audio distribution technology, builds SoundBox and other audio devices with iPod dock connectors and has created the Loewe Assist Media iPad app, which the company says "transforms the iPad into a luxury remote control. Station selection, EPG, archival recording and smart TV functions have never been so easy."

Sounds like a near-perfect fit for Apple.  I never even knew that they existed.

• Reply 2 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Based on the info in this rumour it sound pretty much exactly what I'd expect Apple to do if they were to enter the HDTV market.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Designed in California. Made in Germany.
  • Reply 4 of 137
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

High-end TV's indeed - this would be a great fit for Apple. Happened to visit Harrods last week and was impressed with their products.

Hope this is true - getting sick of selling Samsung, LG and Sony TV's...

• Reply 5 of 137
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

" I never even knew that they existed."

Judging by your posting history, I'm guessing that there's lots of stuff that you " never even knew".
  • Reply 6 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    moxom wrote: »
    High-end TV's indeed - this would be a great fit for Apple. Happened to visit Harrods last week and was impressed with their products.

Hope this is true - getting sick of selling Samsung, LG and Sony TV's...

I still can't see how Apple will profit from the HDTV market or how putting an AppleTV inside of a TV is worth ditching several thousand in current TVs just to spends several thousand more for new TVs. And will they offer TVs for all the rooms in the house or just the HEC? Will they not allow for any HDMI inputs thus making it impossible to use with Blu-ray players and cable/sat hook ups as Ireland thinks will happen?
  • Reply 7 of 137

I owned a Loewe CRT TV for 10 years.  It was a great TV, with excellent picture quality.  They have been sold in Australia for many years now.  Given the reported price, this seems like a reasonable thing for Apple to do, seeing as they like to keep control of end-to-end processes as much as possible.

• Reply 8 of 137
    mlayermlayer Posts: 23member

10-15 years ago you could buy Loewe TV sets in the U.S. I remember liking a flat tube model at the now-defunct electronics store The Good Guys! in California. Competitively priced, excellent design language.

• Reply 9 of 137
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

At least it'll be efficient. 

• Reply 10 of 137
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member

While I am still uncertain that this approach is best, this is a near ideal fit should Apple choose to follow this path. Not to mention that Loewe already has an alliance with Sharp, and Apple is rumored to be looking to Sharp for new display panels. I do doubt that production will remain in Germany as it would be difficult for Apple to eke out any significant margin even playing exclusively at the high end —  more likely Foxconn gets the build orders

• Reply 11 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

In other news, small German TV manufacturer's stock price skyrockets for a month or so.

Idiot speculators make money.

• Reply 12 of 137
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Loewe make great products but I find it an unlikely purchase. Apple usually buys technology and not product lines. Would they discontinue Loewe's existing product lines? What would be the point of purchasing them otherwise? Apple knows enough about design and display technology to make their own television without needing to acquire another company. The only reason I can think they'd do this is if Loewe has IP that Apple needs for its television. I suppose this is possible since Loewe's products have a high-level of integration with Apple's products and Loewe's old enough that it might also have basic IP Apple needs to enter the television market.

• Reply 13 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

Apple usually buys technology and not product lines. Would they discontinue Loewe's existing product lines?

When Apple bought PA Semi, they fulfilled the existing government contracts but accepted no further. You're right about what you said first, though.

• Reply 14 of 137
    nkingmannkingman Posts: 44member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

No, it'll still be made, I mean assembled in China.

• Reply 15 of 137

I wish they would put whatever innovative technology they are developing into the existing Apple TV for 99 dollars rather than high end HDTVs for a thousand.

• Reply 16 of 137
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member

I will take two of the Loewe Pivots.  The screens don't have to be that large.

I would like to see Apple purchase TiVo and build a great DVR. 

• Reply 17 of 137
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Great. Loewe has Full Picture-in-Picture (Full PiP) TV sets, which requires at least two Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) tuners inside the TV set. After image quality, the most important feature of a TV set for many people is that!

• Reply 18 of 137
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Germans do make some great premium products.  Warning, slapstick ahead...  I wonder if Tim Cook would reconsider his toaster and a refrigerator convergence so that Apple can design a HDTV combined with a washing machine, a Miele washing machine.  I think that would be pleasing to the customer! image </slapstick>

/

/

/

• Reply 19 of 137
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Looks like a really good fit from initial impressions...  

http://www.loewe.tv/

Odd that I have never seen their products here in the US.  :(  Germans make some good things, like Bilstein shocks.  ;)

• Reply 20 of 137
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Just wait until apple tries to shut down those German factories. Thing will get real interesting when that happens.