Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Evos View Post

Good point....do both...Apple TV and iPanel

What's the point of the latter if the former exists? Why would I pay $2,000 when I could get a box for $99 that does the same thing, and not have to worry about disposing of my old TV and everything else?

• Reply 62 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Let's put it this way.  If my suspicions are correct as to the direction for Apple, if they buy Loewe.  I would pretty much be scared out of my mind if I were Samsung, Sony, Android phones, and Windows anything.  But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.  It would actually be a good thing in general as far as I am concerned.

The present TV companies are losing money making TVs... so it's not like they can drop their prices to compete with whatever Apple comes out with. Like everything Apple does, it will be done with enough of a twist to what is being done now that Apple/Loewe can ask a premium price and have added enough value to get it.

Also, with Loewe's advanced Picture in Picture technology you will be able to enjoy TV while keeping an eye on how your laundry and dinner is coming along.

• Reply 63 of 137
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I used to own a Loewe CRT TV. It was absolutely stunning. The attention to detail was incredible. Even the way it turn itself off scream quality. 

Maybe Loewe can help Apple make headphones that aren't shit. :)

• Reply 64 of 137
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Google merges Motorola and Bang and Olufsen? Bangorolufsen image

• Reply 65 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given how old of a company this Loewe is, is there any chance they have some important patents relating to TV technology?

Any of the OLD patents would have long since expired. However, they may own some newer digital TV patents that Apple needs to include the "value added" features Apple feels are necessary to transform the TV market. Additionally, The Loewe name adds some credibility to European buyers to whatever Apple releases. For many decades GM has bragged that their cars offer "body by Fisher." So Apple could leverage the Loewe name in some way as well. 

Whatever is on Apple's mind, it has brought a lot of heads out of the sand. image

• Reply 66 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's the point of the latter if the former exists? Why would I pay $2,000 when I could get a box for $99 that does the same thing, and not have to worry about disposing of my old TV and everything else?
    If I have DirecTV why would I give that up for an Apple TV set top box? The only reason I use it now is for AirPlay with my iPad.
  • Reply 67 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Evos View Post

Didn't Foxconn do some sort of deal with Sharp tv???? I know Sharp has an interest in this tv as well. 

Sharp makes beautiful sets with the added color of yellow to the spectrum which makes a picture superior to Samsung, LG etc.......

Sharp has a 22% stake in Loewe. I think Apple can only buy about two-thirds of the Loewe's stock, which is all that's available. 

While it often seems Apple moves slowly to integrate new technology after they acquire a company, I suspect that the TV thing may move a whole lot quicker than in past history.

• Reply 68 of 137
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Yes indeed!  Loewe looks like a perfect fit for Apple.  I approve of the deal.

If Apple can enhance Loewe's designs yet sell them at affordable prices, they will revolutionize the AV industry.

Loewe appear to make just the right products that Apple would be interested in instead of everything under the sun.

Check out some Loewe's products...

http://www.loewe.tv/au/products.html

Hopefully they have patents to help protect Apple in this cut throat industry since they have been around forever.

• Reply 69 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

First off, when I make predictions on Apple, I am batting about 85%, sometimes I am 100% balls on.  But the thoughts that I have I don't want to jinx it for Apple, it's too out there, but I want Apple to get into the negotiations without me hinting on it.  Sorry, but I would love to share it with you.  There are probably about 5 or 6 companies that I would target for Apple to acquire over the next 3 years.  but right now, they seem to be focusing on mfg these Apple HDTV boxes and I think they have to split the mfg between China and Germany because TVs are big and costly to ship worldwide.  Buying Loewe, from my point of view, gives them the ability to mfg different sizes and ship the product to various countries.  Plus, they have engineers at Loewe that can help with future products and they have other products that fit nicely with what Apple doesn't have.  But these other companies that I feel Apple should buy, I don't want to say a word right now, because it might be too premature and I don't want certain others to beat Apple to the punch.

It's alright to discuss your ideas on this forum. We're all Apple fans here and wouldn't spread it outside of this forum, except for ZZZ and he doesn't have any more credibility than Saddam's last director of information did.

• Reply 70 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

If Apple can enhance Loewe's designs yet sell them at affordable prices, they will revolutionize the AV industry.

Loewe appear to make just the right products that Apple would be interested in instead of everything under the sun.

Hopefully they have patents to help protect Apple in this cut throat industry since they have been around forever.

in my holy opinion, and i repeat holy...the Apple Cinema Display design is much better than everything they have on this Loewe's products page....that's why i have ZERO problems with the rumors of the upcoming Apple TV set being exactly like the Apple Cinema Display only bigger...i say bring it on!

• Reply 71 of 137
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I have a Lowe HDTV and the quality is great. But I have just seen that Samsung are already advertising an interactive smart TV with a very iPad-like splash screen so I assume that they intend to sue Apple for copying them once Apple brings out theirs. 

• Reply 72 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If I have DirecTV why would I give that up for an Apple TV set top box? The only reason I use it now is for AirPlay with my iPad.

Because (and I hate to invoke this old bit) Steve Jobs "cracking" the television means a change in the industry on the order of the iTunes Music Store.

It's in the software. We haven't seen that yet, but there is ABSOLUTELY nothing a television can provide that a $99 box cannot.

• Reply 73 of 137
    gmalovgmalov Posts: 2member

Loewe has great products and impeccable design sense. I see this a a great match, enhancing both sides capabilities!

• Reply 74 of 137
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    drblank wrote: »
    First off, when I make predictions on Apple, I am batting about 85%, sometimes I am 100% balls on.  But the thoughts that I have I don't want to jinx it for Apple, it's too out there, but I want Apple to get into the negotiations without me hinting on it.  Sorry, but I would love to share it with you.  There are probably about 5 or 6 companies that I would target for Apple to acquire over the next 3 years.  but right now, they seem to be focusing on mfg these Apple HDTV boxes and I think they have to split the mfg between China and Germany because TVs are big and costly to ship worldwide.  Buying Loewe, from my point of view, gives them the ability to mfg different sizes and ship the product to various countries.  Plus, they have engineers at Loewe that can help with future products and they have other products that fit nicely with what Apple doesn't have.  But these other companies that I feel Apple should buy, I don't want to say a word right now, because it might be too premature and I don't want certain others to beat Apple to the punch.

Wow.

/Reverence
  • Reply 75 of 137
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Assuming for a moment this unconfirmed rumor is true (and considering the record, this could be a stretch) I'd like to see this happen only if Loewe's has some particularly valuable IP that would give Apple a leg up in Germany and globally. Perhaps the run on patents will now extend to consumer electronics companies in all kinds of specialized industries. For example, I'd love to see Apple buying up GPS patents.

• Reply 76 of 137
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Nice-looking products!

Except for the stands, which mostly look like chicken feet.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I'd really be happy to see the Apple TV made in Germany rather than in China. More ethical, better quality, better ideas.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Very nice looking products indeed.  I wish apple had a similar flair for design these days. I think if I see this 8 year old iMac and now acd foot another time I m gonna die of boredom. (yeah I know it had a minor tweak to it along the way...)

• Reply 79 of 137
    mainmacmainmac Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Google merges Motorola and Bang and Olufsen? Bangorolufsen image

I thought "Go Motor Bang"

• Reply 80 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Because (and I hate to invoke this old bit) Steve Jobs "cracking" the television means a change in the industry on the order of the iTunes Music Store.

It's in the software. We haven't seen that yet, but there is ABSOLUTELY nothing a television can provide that a $99 box cannot.
    Well if th $99 box can't give me what I have with DirecTV I have no reason to buy it. TV is not that complicated. My DirecTV box is very easy to use. When I had Dish Networks it was the same (though they didn't have all the content DirecTV does). I'm not sure what Apple is going to perfect or what Jobs thought he cracked.

Now there are those who would prefer to just pay for the shows/ channels they want rather than paying for a package full of channels they never want. If that's what Apple is attempting to crack then it's a whole lot more than perfecting the UI. Then we're talking about content and distribution. And I'm skeptical that Apple will be able to break the cable/satellite control of TV. TV is not the same as music was back in the early 00's when people were using file sharing to illegally acquire music. I can't see TV networks or movie studios bending over for Apple just because, well, it's Apple.